BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

I really liked Nyx when I smelled it in the bottle at Sakuracon. So much so that I intended to order a bottle, but there was a mix-up and I got two bottles of the other scent I ordered instead. This actually worked out well though, since after I had placed that order I discovered that my skin usually equals Jasmine Fail. Peach Moon is the only scent I've tried so far where it behaves. I recently acquired an imp of Nyx to re-test it, and unfortunately the jasmine is again totally dominating. It isn't entirely sickly sweet like jasmine sometimes becomes (like in Pannychis), but it is very strong and smells like cheap drugstore perfume with traces of the "cat pee" ammonia smell. I don't smell the rose at all, and the myrrh is very faint. It's mostly just Revenge of the Jasmine, again. :sad:

(much later edit: just fixed emoticon code, didn't change any text)

Imp: jasmine over rose.

Wet on Me: jasmine over air freshener rose to my nose
Drying Down: oh boy the rose is taking over
Dry: this dried into air freshener rose for me. man my skin and nosedoes not like rose. oh Noes!

In the imp I smell mostly jasmine. Sweet, floral, dark.

On my skin the rose comes out really quickly and for a second it seems like it's going to take over. It doesn't though, this is beautifully balanced. There's a bit of spice that's making me think of carnations, more likely though it's the myrrh interacting with the jasmine.

This is a very lovely scent, but roses and I aren't a good match so Nyx and I will part ways here and remain distant friends.

In the bottle: it smells strongly of myrrh in the bottle, and the jasmine and rose are both overpowered. it's a little sharp, a little powdery. I actually don't think it smells very floral in the bottle, so I find it a bit strange considering how it smells on my skin.

On my skin: the jasmine and rose are surprisingly clear in this, neither overpowering the other. the jasmine is quite sharp, but the rose keeps it from being crazy-strong. the myrrh all but disappears, leaving a faint warmth in the background. it's lovely and traditional and surprisingly simple.

Last thoughts: jasmine is usually too powdery for me, so this is a surprise. it's a bit traditional, but there are days where I want to feel like a Regency girl reading Jane Austen in a garden.

In the bottle:Jasmine and roses, with an amber-like undertone

wet:Jasmine, I can't even smell the rose at this point. It's just full blown jasmine flower.

drydown:Powdery jasmine with an astringent background. It must be the rose attempting to come through. No sign of the ambery smell I got in the bottle, it's been totally lost.

After 5 minutes: The rose SLOWLY starts to make itself known but the jasmine is still very much the dominant scent of this blend. I'm a little surprised because normally, rose likes to be queen bee on my skin. This is a nice floral blend with a good throw and excellent staying power.

This is such a strange scent. I had no idea that I would like something so floral... but this is beautiful, and dark. Good longevity. Becomes quite cloying after a period of time, however. 3/5!

Edited by 84trillion

In the Imp (ITI): Strong jasmine, like hit-you-in-the-face jasmine, and myrrh. Mind so, I like jasmine, so this isn’t a bad start to the scent.

Wet: Again, thick jasmine, some myrrh, and just the impression of rose.

Dry: Jasmine and rose, but the myrrh has died down a bit. It’s a womanly scent.

I"m a jasmine lover, and this is fantastic. :wub2: I would have guessed jasmine and some kind of musk, I was thinking Egyptian musk. I never smell any rose really.. perhaps it's lost in the jasmine. This is a kind of grown up, regal scent, without being matronly. I like it a lot better than some of the other jasmine blends I've tried because it does have such a nice deep, resinous base to ground it.

First Sniff: Night-blooming jasmine

Initial Wet Application: Still the jasmine but with something furry soft taming it. I’m guessing myrrh makes my skin purr. XD

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: This is lovely; soft, gentle and light. There seems to be a tiny bit of a clean, crisp scent underneath it all. So far though, this is all feminine jasmine. While this is lovely, I’m worried it’s going to fade too quickly.

My Reaction: I really liked this and thought the jasmine was lovely. Unfortunately, these sorts of flowers just fade away on my skin which is disappointing. I’m hoping that the longer I have this on though that the rose will make an appearance. It’s gentle and comforting and hauntingly beautiful. I would like more of the purring myrrh too!

Rating: 3

In the vial: Jasmine, darkened by something. I'm thinking the rose.

On the skin: The myrrh adds some spice to this, which is mainly jasmine on me, with a deep dark rose note. Pretty but makes my sinuses ache.

All jasmine, with just a touch of dryness and spice from the myrrh. Cannot smell the rose. Jasmine only works as a supporting note for me, this is too much.

Wet: Musky jasmine in the lingering heat of a summer evening. The myrrh does add some warmth to the mix.

Drydown: Rose finally appears, although it's very faint in the background. The jasmine still dominates. A very sweet floral mix. Will be perfect when it gets warmer.

Straight from the imp I'm getting a subtle old ladies perfume vibe. Not much Myrrh in there to me, and that goes all soapy on me. The jasmine is the most notible in there and I wish it wasn't! It's quite sour and dull - and the rose is really only a bit supportive in that.
Someone will like this, but not me! Perfectly executed concept once more though! :)

Nyx on my skin gives an initial burst of high-pitched jasmine blooms growing out of a sweet myrrh base. Once it warms on my skin, the jasmine develops lemony and buttery tones, lower in pitch and more pleasant, while still being unmistakably jasmine. I only smell a little rose and myrrh behind it. This period is the high point for this blend.

Dried, I pick up more rose, but Nyx is still far more the jasmine than the rose. The jasmine has also taken on a slightly powdery quality. I never smell more myrrh.

I don't think this works for me.

This is a heady blend, with the myrrh lending an almost incense-like tone. It's very feminine and all-enveloping - it's something I can imagine the adepts of Cereus House from the Kushiel's Legacy books wearing.

In the imp: BO and jasmine

Wet: myrrh and jasmine, but there's still that edge of BO

Dry: still myrrh and jasmine, but the BO smell has faded a bit; the jasmine is a bit more tangy than I'm used to in jasmine though, I can get the "cat pee" comparison other's have made; it's also gone powdery on me

I love myrrh and jasmine, but this scent doesn't work for me. Even forgetting the odd BO smell it has when wet, the powdery scents strikes me as a bit old lady. Idk, I may give it another try but so far, it's a miss sadly. Quite a throw too--which in this case, not necessarily a good thing. I smell like I tried to cover the need for a shower with a ton of jasmine.

Wet on the skin this smells like ylang-ylang to me. Straight up ylang-ylang.
I've moved to India where there are a few jasmine bushes outside my house, so I'm used to catching the scent of actual jasmine every night, luckily.
This just isn't what I associate with the scent of jasmine. Dry on my skin this smells a lot like nail polish remover, damn my skin chemistry!!
I really wanted to like this one, but thankful it was just a frimp I got with an order, so never mind.

Jasmine is hit or miss for me, and the jasmine in Nyx is a hit. Wow, this is beautiful. Truly, this scent is evocative of its description: I feel like I'm wandering through fields of flowers a midnight. There's a slight, soft soapiness to it, but it's beautiful, fresh, and clean, not "old-lady"-like at all.

Wonderfully apt namesake. Love this blend (she says after writing an "anti-floral" review in her last post...) :).

In the imp: SUPER STRONG jasmine with just a little hint of rose and myrrh.

Wet: JASMINE LIKE WHOA. And a bit of myrrh and rose.

Dry: Fortunately, it didn't take long for the jasmine to calm down. It's softer, sweeter jasmine now, but still remains the dominant note. The other notes remain confined to the background.

Verdict: Not as scary as it seemed in the imp, fortunately, but still not my jam.

the jasmine is definitely the first horse out of the gate in this. in the bottle this smells very warm and powdery. on wet this is pure baby powder. i never understood why jasmine gets such a bad rap but now i get it. some blends can be powdery but this was like i shook it out on my wrist straight from a can. not bad just not special in any way, a bit boring. i was a tad disappointed, but once dried this became quite lovely. i feel like the myrrh came out first. this has a strong throw and as it was wafting at me i kept thinking vanilla, which im guessing was the baby powdery jasmine sweetened by the resin. i noticed the rose last and only when sniffing my wrist directly. it wasnt strong at all but it was enough to turn the blend from baby powder to delicate floral. quite lovely

I always love catching up on testing some GC imps while on vacation! I know I have tried this years ago, but forgot to review it. My tastes have changed a lot, so I like retrying things occasionally, and I do adore the combo of rose and Myrrh.

Wet: Jasmine - heady and sweet, but NOT indolic like it usually is on me. No cat pee! Instead I get popcorn and the plastic bowl it was served in....whaaa? This smells slightly like popcorn and burning plastic, and I don't know why. No idea the age of this imp, and I wonder if it has gone off.

Dry: The throw is lots of jasmine, somewhat nice since it's not indolic, but still not a fave note of mine. Nose to skin, smells like burnt plastic and popcorn. SO. WEIRD. Not for me!