BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

NYX

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

This goes on almost dusty at first, the jasmine & myrrh really go so well together in this. It has a rainy smell to it, almost like your standing in mist surrounded by jasmine and flowers of all kinds. Or maybe a walk after midnight, just as the temperature finally cools off the Earth. The rose IS there though hidden in the backround. My only tiny complaint is this doesnt last long enough on me-but anyone who enjoys jasmine scents that arent too overpowering will like this one.

This is a really lovely jasmine-rose blend, neither too jasmine-y or too rose-y. The myrrh definitely adds subtlety and mystery to this blend. It's soft and very feminine in a sophisticated way.

I really like the blend of this one. It's not overpowering to me at all. It's not a very long-lasting scent though, not on me anyway. It's almost 'warmer' than I'd like a Jasmine scent to be too .. might be the myrrh, as I've not a lot of experience with myrrh in much.

I think this one's a keeper though. At least as an imp.

Edited by TygherRayn

I'm pretty well known to be incompatible with civet and jasmine, but I try every BPAL scent that comes my way. Nyx turned out to be well worth the test run, in spite of the jasmine it contains.

Myrrh is an absolutely beautiful addition to the rose and jasmine here. For me, it's not just the saving grace of this perfume, it's the highlight of it. I'm so very surprised at the warmth and effervescence of these three combined; I still smell the jasmine, but it's so tied to the myrrh, and so much more palatable with the rose, that it's almost delightful.

I'm not a floral fan, and Nyx isn't something I'll be wearing regularly, but I think I'll keep the Imp to finish. The scent description may be one of desolation and inky-black skies, but any woman wearing this tropical, slightly cerebral, and tempting scent won't be alone for long.

Very sweet when first applied and reminds me of Delight.

As it is drying the jasmine is most prominent, the rose is still there... but only just.

It takes until about 30 minutes after application before I can smell the myrrh, I think jasmine overwhelms my sense of smell a bit.

This is lovely. It still reminds me of Delight, but Delight is sweeter and more florally, Nyx is darkened by the myrrh.

First sniff: Oh-so-jasminey, cool and sweet. I’ve been rereading my Mercedes Lackey collection and jasmine always reminds me of what I think the Tayledras Vales would smell like at night – Nyx is no exception.

Wearing: It’s just too sweet, sadly. Toward the end of the night I kept catching a whiff of something I thought was musk, but it never quite settled. I'm betting the friend who ended up with most of my "too-girly-for-me" scents will love this one though.

Initial: Woah! Very very musky. . .all I can really smell is the myrrh. Hmm, I haven't had too much luck with these types of scents

Wet: The jasmine really comes out, but it's that sort of car air-freshener sort of jasmine, not the pretty real jasmine smell.

Dry:Very overwhelming and fake smelling. . .darn, and I really wanted to like this one too :P

Up for swaps.

First Impression: Jasmine the way it's meant to be. Smooth and sweet. Not cloying and overpowering.

Second Impression: This may be my favorite jasmine blends of all I've sampled to date. The rose is only present to keep the jasmine sweet and the myrrh balances the jasmine lending depth and warmth. Hot summer night for sure.

Final Analysis: Beautiful, gorgeous. heaven scent.

I must have a weird nose, because in the imp and wet, Nyx smells extremely nutty to me. No flowers whatsoever, just nuts. Hrm.

It usually takes a good 30 mn for the nutty smell to go away and for the actual notes to come through. The jasmine and the myrrh are strongest on me, with the rose in the background.

It is a very nice floral, but I guess I expected a much cooler, sharper blend. Since jasmine is a night-blooming plant (at least the variety with which I am familiar), I tend to associate it with cooler scents. It is one of my favourite floral notes though, so I think I will keep my imp of Nyx, unless I find another jasmine scent that is on the fresher side.

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): The rose is quite prominent, with an underlying thickness – more than likely the myrrh. Can’t really detect the jasmine over the rose.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The rose is still quite prominent, though not as strong as before.

Throughout the Day (10am-3pm): I get gentle whiffs of rose, quite pleasant. The only time I even smell the jasmine or myrrh is if I sniff my wrist directly – when I do, I get a nice spicy floral scent. Talk about an experience, I get two very distinct scents depending on whether I smell my skin or just breathe the air around me (or smell my shirt collar). This is a very pleasant surprise.

Overall: The scent lasted around 7 hours, and it didn’t really give me a headache – this is a very good thing. I really enjoyed the mixture of scents. This is a keeper - at least for the imp.

Edited by Faerykin

I love Nyx. I wore it tonight- it's about 85 degrees and oppressively still, and the scent is wafting provocatively...There is a sharp, medicinal quality to it at first, I assume the myrrh, which reminds me of Sacred Whore of Babylon. It's (appropriately) more subdued and subterranean...I think of the River Styx and spirits of crossroads and ancient stone votive figures by dark pools of water. The rose softens it up and gives it a nice bloomy, breathy quality. This is complex and dark and moody and totally excellent.

Nyx

This is practically the same as Wicked on me except I don't get the 'scorched' stage. It's pleasant enough for the most part but then is goes sugary sweet and I don't like it.

Nyx

This was a freebie in my first order. I have found through testing Queen Mab and Catherine that I am definitely not a rose person. Unfortunately, in the bottle and wet, that's all I could smell in Nyx.

In fact, and I'm a bit ashamed to say this, this was the first BPAL I washed off before going through the complete drydown and keeping it on to see how long it lasted on me. I just could not get over the rose.

I think I detected the jasmine too. I love jasmine blooming at night, but I don't think I like it on me. The first perfume oil I ever wore was a jasmine oil my father brought back from Egypt. It must have gone off because it never smelled lovely on me and I ended up throwing the rest of it away.

I'm either gong to swap this or find a rose-lover and gift it to them.

at first: a very heady jasmine, with a touch of something dark, which must be the myrrh. i haven't caught the rose. it's an interesting scent.

on: a cloud of jasmine. however, i get the hint or rose and something else (must be the myrrh), which makes it more interesting and takes the jasmine down a notch. very pretty.

half an hour later: a wonderful jasmine and rose blend. very feminine.

1 hour later: hmmm...i think i'm mostly smelling myrrh right now. it's ok, but that's all. i hope the jasmine comes back.

3.5 hour later: very sweet. why does my skin do this to scents?

overall: it's too bad this turned so boring on me. however, i think it may make a nice, pretty room scent, so i'm going to try it in my oil burner. i won't be getting this one again.

I don't dislike this, but there is something in it that is VERY bubble-gummy on me ... usually that means neroli, but in this case I can't figure out what it is ... I got this in a swap and all the ingredients are ones I like, but the combo is a little TOO sweet for me ... it's one of the lovely imps that has made its way through a few people and one more lucky recipient is going to be gifted with about a quarter of an imp ... :P

I am updating this post a few months later (mid-November) ... I received a new imp as a freebie and decided to try it again ... and no longer got the buble-gummy vibe at all so here is my updated note-set:

IN THE BOTTLE: A spicy, warm strong floral ... all three notes are ones I generally like on their own anyway. Did just wrists with this because I remembered it being quite strong, but did a double-dab on each wrist to get the full effect.

WET: The BPAL night-blooming florals like this are one of my favorite "series" (I am sorry, can't think of the right word) ... Beth and her gang do such a great job with the lush florals and this is a signature one, really.

DRYDOWN: Warm and sultry with a kick. This is not something I could wear every day because I think it would distract me from my mundane life, but I think it would make a great bath oil when you want to feel sexy and exotic. I could definitely also use it on an occasional day as a perfume.

REVIEWED AND REVISITED MAY 2013:

Was frimped with this from the Lab on my most recent order and, interestingly enough, of the 8 frimps it was the ONLY one I liked.

IN THE IMP: Super-powered night-blooming jasmine. But I happen to like that ...

Dabbed on my right wrist and crook of arm because was already test-driving another scent on my left one.

WET: This is really overpowering. But fortunately it's a really awesome blend. The NBJ is uber-sexy. The myrrh, since menopause, has been more of a funky-drydown problem child note for me than it used to be but in this blend it's the perfect sweet note to offset the jasmine. And the rose is just faint enough to not make me queasy.

DRYDOWN: There is something about this scent that invokes images of Boardwalk Empire-type 20s flappers and hot chicks in awesome dresses with dropped waistlines that I would love to wear. The beach, the heat, the old-time awesome. Sex and incense.

OVERALL: As I said lo those many years ago, this is not a scent I'd wear every day but it is DEFINITELY a scent I'd keep and apply occasionally. And, as I said then, I think it would make a KILLER scent for Puddin' to do a lovely BPTP series with (bath oil, candles, etc.).

ON a scale of 1-5, a 4+

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I really *wanted* to like this, as Nyx is the villain in my in-progress novel, but...alas, no. I've discovered that I really dislike jasmine, especially in this prominent role. It goes immediately soapy on me, and on this makes me think of nothing so much as cheap soap, period. Meh. No offense to the jasmine lovers-- certainly I'm a rose lover, and lots of folks hate the rose scents, I've noticed.

On a better note, I wound up layering some Djinn over it (where I couldn't wash the Nyx off) and that was a lovely combination. The Djinn cut the jasmine and the result was an incensey floral.

At any rate, jasmine lovers should be in heaven.

Okay, in the vial, I get all of the components and I start to worry about the rose...

On me, Nyx turns into "rose growing in a field of jasmine", and there is no myrrh. It's a very heavy floral that makes me want to run away, screaming. And it itches a little from the rose.

Sorry, but florals are just... not my thing, I guess.

Nyx is one that started off all jasmine on me. I like jasmine, but when it's the primary note, it's too sweet for me. Luckily, Nyx mellowed a bit and the rose came up to temper it.

Overall, I think this scent would be nice when I go back to visit New Orleans, because it has a sort of sultry, nightclub vibe to it.

I'll keep the imp and use it when I visit NoLA, and also when I want to amp up the rose/jasmine component of both Mata Hari and Nemesis.

Lots and lots and lots of Jasmine. For some reason it overpowered almost everything else in this blend for most of the wear time. I was about to give up on it when the myrrh popped up and softened this into something mysterious and soft and smokey. Gorgeous, dark floral but not quite me. Off to swaps

I got this in a swap with da Minx, just got here today in fact! Jasmine and rose...oooh, sounds good!

In the Bottle: Lots of jasmine. Smells great so far!

On Me: Wow...the jasmine and rose blend smell so mysterious and gorgeous togather! Its an undeniable sweetness but dark and foreboding, like a warning that you just don't understand. Its inviting and commanding, gesturing you to come forward even though you know that on the other side is something dark and powerful, ready to take control.

Its somewhat smoky and reclusive yet every now and then its powerful and demanding your attention. A very complex oil that for some odd reason has me thinking of a woman spy in a long, slinky black dress with a cigarette in her fingers, watching her mark through the smoke, knowing that underneath the table, she has a gun aimed at his...*ahem* well, you get the picture.

I love this, very slinky and mysterious. Thanks minxlet!

Ok, I admit I am a jasmine freak. I love jasmine, jasmine loves me. Nyx is one I have been wanting to try for a long time & thanks to shewaselectric, I was able to.

Nyx is absolutely stunning on me: all soft jasmine & sweet rose. The myrrh "anchors" this blend beautifully.

This is sweet, heady floral goodness. If you don't like florals, you won't like Nyx. If you love jasmine & rose, as I do....this is heavenly.

I have recently found a love for jasmine thanks to lush's flying fox. I haven't tried the two together but I'd expect them to compliment each other well.

Maybe not a good idea to try two strong-smelling oils in a row. I had Water of Notre Dame on earlier, & then I tried Nyx.

Wet - doesn't smell very strong, I can pick up the jasmine fairly well, myrrh too. Rose, not so much.

Dry - It smells like the jasmine & rose are fighting each other for dominance. Both are there in equal degrees & emitting a strong odor. Somewhat jasmine, somewhat rose, it goes back & forth, then sometimes smells like a mixture of the two. If there were any other components present, they're long gone now. My skin chemistry devours everything else in the presence of rose & jasmine, then amplifies those two.

This is probably a lovely scent. Just not on me.

In the bottle, it's almost all rose. But once I put it on, the scent blooms out into a field of jasmine as well. There's a sweetness that has nothing to do with flowers that must be the myrrh. I don't usually wear floral scents, but this one has a beautiful balance to it. Initially it seems a bit overpowering, but it mellows nicely on my skin.

In The imp: Man, this is strong... Really, really, really, strong........ All I smell is Myrrh Mixed with Jasmine, no Rose. This is sharp...Oh this is not going to go well........ But Wings of Azrael in the imp scared me, and then became absolutely beautiful on my skin....... So on with the test

On me, swiped on wrist wet: Same strong medicinal sharpness I smelled in the imp..... Jasmine and very very very sharp Myrrh... This is strong, too strong.... Almost antiseptic smelling on me

Drydown half an hour: No morphing....... This doesn't like me at all...... Off to the swap pile it goes........