BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

Unfortunately not meant to be. The jasmine is too strong - almost nauseatingly sweet and cloying - and overall this blend smell way too 'mature' for me. I don't get the rose at all.

Nyx was a freebie imp from a generous ebayer. Not something I would have picked for myself, but I find I'm pleasantly surprised.

Imp: Jasmine-o-rama. Also something that reminds me of Yog-Sothoth. There's rose in it? Where?

On, wet: Yep, jasmine. Something a little musky too, which I guess is the myrrh. Still not getting any rose.

Drydown: There's a point during the drydown where the myrrh goes kind of spiky and metallic, which was weird. Now, it seems to be settling down into a nice balance between the jasmine and the myrrh. Not too floral, not too resiny, somewhere in between. It's like a darker, more feminine version of Yog. Yog is a very regal scent; Nyx flirtier and more approachable, but still cold. Still not getting any rose, though, at least not so's you'd notice.

Thumbs up. Maybe not a bottle scent, but I'll definitely use up the imp.

Edit: Okay, I think I see what the rose is up to. It's sweetening the jasmine/myrrh blend, but steadfastly refuses to call attention to itself. That's pretty neat, actually. The whole blend is really making me rethink my attitude toward florals.

Edit, again: Interestingly, some of the traces of perfume on my fingertips have done what I usually don't like about jasmine -- they've gone kind of waxy-smelling. The wrist dabs remain sweet and balanced. Interesting.

Edited by hangingfire

This is warm and makes me think of a hothouse full of flowers. I'm picking up the jasmine, and something slightly spicy (the myrrh). There's not much for me to say about this, because jasmine is my mortal enemy and the charms of Nyx were still not able to change my mind.

Nyx

In the imp: rose, with dark, resinous myrrh.

Wet on skin: fresh rose with myrrh.

Dry on skin: a bittersweet floral scent. Now the jasmine comes out. It's a soft, full floral scent with a dark undercurrent of myrrh. A bit sharp, resinous, darkly sweet and mysterious. It's more ethereal than Wicked.

After a while: oh dear, this is having the dreaded 'burnt sawdust and celery' reaction that I got with Black Lotus. Maybe it's the myrrh? I'm not sure because most myrrh scents don't do this. Maybe combined with another note it does? However, in here, it's not too unpleasant, thanks to the rose. It does go after about two hours or so.

Verdict: an interesting scent, its bittersweet and dark, quite smoky, with light florals adding an ethereal and feminine touch. It seemed very promising in the beginning but then I got a strange skin reaction that made it smell burnt, though not too unpleasantly. This does actually go after a while though before smelling nice again. I actually prefer Wicked out of the two rose-jasmine-myrrh scents, but I do prefer Nuit as my night-floral-incense scent.

I love the myrhh and rose combo, but the jasmine won't cooperate and makes me headachey. I don't care for jasmine, which of course makes my skin amp the hell out of it to be obstinant. This would be perfect for those who love jasmine, and the myrhh adds an especially interesting and nice touch. It's a good quality oil, but not a keeper, hopefully I can find it a better home.

In the imp: Very jasmine with a spicy/resinous undercurrent. No rose that I can tell.

On me: AUGH! :P The myrrh has amped up and gone bad! I smell like a bouquet of jasmine inside a container of burning plastic! :D I've worn both myrrh and jasmine with great success, but something in this does not agree with my body chemistry at all.

Off to the swap pile.

Oh, I thought this was perfect all around. It was one that kept me smiling all day, I loved it so much.

Warm, gentle, floral, jasmine, slightly aquatic, slightly magical (myrrh?). I gave this 5 out of 5 stars, which is a rating reserved for only the best of the best.

nyx.jpg

Very jasmine on me. I really have a hard time smelling anything else. Actually, it is one of the jasmines which agrees with my skin chemistry more than most I have tried. Very nice, I may well keep this imp. I bet it would be great in a lotion or shampoo. Jasmine scented hair...very nice.

Edited by olympia301

this screams jasmine upon application ..... :D

and unfortunately i never get any myrrh or rose....

just that predominant note of straight up jasmine

that sadly enough does not agree with my

body chemisty.... :P

Vial: Jasmine, which I don't usually like, but not too overwhelming. Sultry with a slight, not unpleasant bitterness.

Wet: Quite acrid, for some reason I'm getting bitter-sweet almond.

Drydown: Hint of rose, becomes sweeter and less acrid. Reminds me a little of Santa Muerte (not that it has the same components, but the general mood of the scent is similar).

This is Jasmine Jasmine Jasmine on me which is a shame as I wanted the rose to come out more. It is very strong and lasts forever on my skin (It's typical that the ones I'm not really keen on last the longest!!) Swapsie pile methinks!

Nyx

received in a swap

in vial: jasmine

wet: jasmine

dry: powdery jasmine and rose...lasts about 3.5 hours

verdict: not for me...off to swaps

In bottle: OK, how weird is this? In the bottle, the blend smells like maple syrup.

On me: Jasmine is strong, but when it is the night-blooming variety it is overwhelming. It is cloying and sickening, especially when heightened by an overly creamy rose. It smells almost like it is rotting, or at the very least overheated in the dirt. Positively nasty to my nose!

In the bottle: I can smell jasmine, myrrh and rose. Rose tends to go soapy on me, and jasmine is a skin bully, so it'll be interesting to see where this one goes.

On my skin: The rose and jasmine are doing a little dance together on my skin, which is great because the jasmine is kept in check from becoming too jasminey while the rose isn't busy turning into soap.

Later on: The jasmine is starting to peter out on me, so the rose, having no counterpoint, is starting to go soapy. A shame becuase I thought it was going to be that rare rose that didn't turn to soap.

Nyx is mostly jasmine on me, not so much rose. This is a very peaceful, quiet, dark scent... and kind of comforting, as if the evening/night sky were wrapping itself around me like a blanket and protecting me, but oh. Headache. Hmm ok this one isn't for me.

Thank you, lorajc!

In the vial: Ooo, jasmine and rose with depth. Very similar to B Never's Two Hearts, which is what I was looking for. I just opened my bottle of Wicked, which has the same three elements in (myrrh, rose, jasmine) and that's definitely more rose.

Wet: Rose and jasmine are fighting for domination. I'm really liking this scent.

Drydown: Oh. My God. Soft jasmine and rose, and I can hardly smell the myrrh, so it's a nice and light scent, exactly what I'm looking for. I sprayed some Two Hearts further up on my arm, and Two Hearts smells more astringent and weird than Nyx. I think I'm in loooove.

Dry: How wonderful is this, I've found my duplicate of Two Hearts, only it's BETTER! I think I need a 10ml, RIGHT NOW.

Rating: 5!!

Nyx stays pretty consistent from the imp to my skin, reminding me of a somewhat floral Johnson's Baby Powder. My nose still has a long way to go in being able to recognize BPAL notes, but this oil is definitely a dusty Jasmine on me. It is not until a couple of hours later that I begin to detect a little bit of rose as well. Overall, a very soft, feminine, beautiful scent. :)

ETA: after a few hours' wear, Nyx does something very similar to what Veil eventually does on me & turns from a beautiful floral into a sharp, unpleasant hairspray smell. The throw is still a gorgeous jasmine, but up against my skin, it is a nasty hairspray-like scent. I had wondered if Veil & Nyx have one particular note in both oils that might be the hairspray-causing culprit, but. No such luck.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with Nyx now as I really love the jasmine in this! Perhaps I will keep it purely for sprinkling on clothes & such, or until I find someone else who loves the jasmine as much as I & will hopefully have better results. :( :( :(

Edited by undream

In the imp: the sickly sweet-sour smell that I've now come to recognize as the Lab's jasmine

Wet: up close, all jasmine, while the throw is rose

Dry: has dried down to a warm myrrh-jasmine combination, while the rose has turned soapy -- very… interesting. Very not-something-I-want-to-smell-like-everyday. Off into the swap pile this one goes!

ok...

This is the impression i got from Nyx:

Im remembering being 13 again, wandering around the streets back home in the dead of night, listening to NIN on my Discman. Its the time o night where everything is...well...dead. no cars, no sounds...you can hear the yeloow flashing street lamps click form blocks away, and your combat boots scraping against the asphalt as you walk.

As I walk, I pass by various trees, storefronts and eventually when i wander into the residential neighborhoods...lawns. Its about 3am, and cool enough to warrant a light long sleeve shirt or hoodie. The sprinklers probably turned off an hour past or so, because you can see the droplets of water on the grass and flowers.

Its a VERY heady, flowery scent...like how the gardens smell after the sprinklers have been off for a while...kinda musky, heavy, wet and floral.

VERY VERY nostalgic...but still a bit much to wear all the time. I love the scent...just not for hours on end.

Off to swaps...

Mmmm, Night Blooming Jasmine. I can catch the scent of Rose underneath but I'm not sure what the myrrh smells like. When a NBJ plant I used to have bloomed outside my window it was kind of like breathing flower syrup. If you like that sort of thing, this is heaven.

This is a really heady blend, all flowers all the time.

The rose seems to be coming out more as it drys. Yep, definitely more rose coming out. Dang. I like rose, but I was hoping the Jasmine would stick around!

Edited by fiddlehead

This does WEIRD things on me, dude. I put it on and it smelled honey. Intense, delicious spicy honey. I smelled like slightly incensy baklava.

After fifteen minutes or so, though, it turns mostly woody with a bit of light florals in the background. This is nice, but it's a bit too woody for me. I actually like the baklava smell more.

In the bottle: Hmmm, I smell jasmine, and rose, and something warm that *isn't* myrrh.

On me: This does what jasmine does on me, and goes powdery as it dries down. It's more cloying and sweet than I'd have expected. I don't smell the myrrh at all, and the rose has all but vanished under the crushing weight of the jasmine. Sigh. Swap pile material.

NYX

Oh, what a lovely smell. I don't usually go in for the more floral scents, but it's kind of a miserable, muddy time of year, and the jasmine and rose so totally lifted my spirits. But the addition of myrrh made me think - well, I am wearing it now, applied it like 11 hours ago, and I keep catching whiffs of it and it makes me think it is a balmy spring night. I can still smell the floral notes, especially the rose now, and I am actually really enjoying it. And I am really surprised that such a delicate scent has lasted so long on me. On my wrists, the scent has softened considerably; but on my neck and cleavage, it still gives a very distinct impression of rose. And the myrrh lends itself to the darkness.

Definitely a keeper. I may be changing my tune about floral scents! :P

Edited by nightbabies

In the bottle: Pure - and a little obnoxious - jasmine.

Wet: Jasmine and... myrrh I suppose. It's darkened, anyway, and smells spicy.

Drydown: This is very thick jasmine. Instead of being bright, it's heavy and dark. At very rare moments, I smell a bit of rose.

Overall: This was part of my "experimenting with jasmine" batch, I was curious to try a blend with the same ingredients as Wicked, to see how different it could be. Well, it's radically different. While jasmine is quite nice on me, I prefer it more in the background. It does smell of night, of darkness, of the bitterness of myrrh. A pretty blend, but not me.

Wet: Jasmine and sharp floral notes.

Dry: Very strong jasmine, but the rose is developing its usual soapy smell. Something kind of acidic going on in the background. Overall, this was very soapy and sharp on me.