BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Nyx

Named in honor of the primeval Greek Goddess of Night. A scent reflecting inky black skies and eternal desolation. Night-blooming jasmine, warmed by myrrh, lifted by the promise of rose.

There's a Jamie Cullam song called "Get Your Way" about a very willful woman with incredible style. And there's a line in it that goes: "mmmmm...the scent of wild jasmine." How I wish jasmine would be that way on me, but no, it smells like an old lady's cootch on me. Oh hell.

Nyx is strong jasmine in the imp and the myrrh and rose can not overpower it once it hits my skin. It just stays that way. I think it's a very murky jasmine, not a crisp bright jasmine, so for those of those you who like your jasmine a little dark and on the rocks, try this one out. For the jasmine-challenged, it's probably best to be forewarned.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Well, myrrh is often like many of the musks and incenses and goes nova on my skin to the point of unpleasantness. Jasmine is hit or miss, depending on what else is in the blend. But I will always give a rose scent a chance.

In the Bottle: Sharp myrrh over jasmine. Not even a hint of rose. This bodes ill.

Wet: Extremely jasmine at first, but the rose begins to appear and mute it some.

Drydown: The myrrh comes out to play, but it's quieter and more subtle than in some other myrrh blends I've tried. Eventually it goes completely to myrrh.

Verdict: Well, if it were just me, I'd probably send it to the swap pile. But I let the husband sniff my wrist and he promptly went in for a kiss after keeping my wrist to his nose for a full minute. So I guess it stays for now :P

Bottle: myrrh, but sweet. ruh?

Wet: ah, that jasmine sweet, off that I didn't get the jasmine before, just the high sweetness. and myrrh behind. I hope the myrrh comes out to play and this isn't another example of how I disturbingly amp jasmine..

Dry: the myrrh is keeping this anchored - yes!

Later: the jasmine still wants desperately to take off on me, even if the myrrh does keep it tethered. I'll hold on to this and try again to see if a different time of the month affects it. Cool and delicate and very feminine..and pretty, especially earlier when the myrrh was stronger.

[edited to add: headache. why does jasmine hate me?]

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

Very balanced--I can smell the jasmine, but the other elements keep her from hogging the spotlight too much! Nyx is a bright, warm scent that's just pure summer.

A frimp! Juicy but...ugh....jasmine. I sooo wish Jasmine co-operated, I love how it smells in general but it's a disaster on me. :/

There is something very oddly dark in this blend. I know what myrrh and rose smell like, so I figured it was the jasmine; however, it reminded me strongly of Sheol. Perhaps it is the floral-myrrh mix. At first it almost hinted at labdanum (oh no!) but then settled and behaved itself, and is nwo fairly nice. Probably not on my top ten (although I had high hopes for it) but something I do not regret getting (thanks Angharad!). A very interesting smoky scent.

If you love Jasmine, you will love Nyx. I got it as a frimp and tried it on just now. It's a very beautiful and feminine scent with lots of throw (so use sparingly!)

Unfortunately, Jasmine upsets my stomach so I can't wear it. Off to swaps!

My first impression is of old lady perfume. It's powdery and the florals are a bit heavy for my taste.

A little while later, I sniffed at it again and got straight-up Play-Doh. I called my mother and brother over to check it out, and they agreed. Mum said it would be a great scent for a kindergarten teacher.

In the imp: Smells like something my grandmother would wear... The jasmine is overpowering.

Wet: So... much... jasmine... Lots of rose, too. It smells like an old lady perfume to me.

Dry: More of the same. This has a whole lot of throw!

Nyx - When sniffing the vial, I’m positive that Nyx isn’t going to be nice to me. It’s smells strongly of jasmine, which is the primary BPAL note I simply do not get along with. However, I put a dab on my arm, and for the first couple of minutes, the jasmine definitely dominated, but as the scent dried down, the jasmine receded significantly, and the blend became more of a husky rosy-jasmine. The entire blend becomes incredibly subtle at this point, and I have to put my nose close to my arm to smell it – again, something very odd for a jasmine blend, since my skin usually amps up that note. After about 90 minutes, I detect a slightly bitter note peeking through, and I am at a complete loss to identify it. Something about it reminds me of plucking dandelion weeds out of the garden. The scent is softly floral and earthy. I can’t decide if I like it or not. I think this scent is a tad bit too bitter for me, and although the jasmine is faint, it’s still too much for me, so I think I’ll pass on trying it again.

Gift imp from lab (thanks guys!!). Good thing too, or I wouldn't have ordered it. I'm a little shy around strong wafty florals + random incensey notes.

Bottle: Nose wrinkle. One of these notes doesn't seem to bode well for me. I think I'm getting a hotel sharp soap, almost like bad deoderant smell. Like the bath soap that the Drury hotels used to put out.

Wet: SOAP!!! Can barely pick out notes of floral. They're getting mugged and beaten over the head by the soap. Dear lord, is that what my skin does to myrrh??

Dry: still strong, sharp, deodarant-style SOAP!!! :P

Verdict: Hm. It is that time of the month, so it warrants another go later... but this is *that close* to being the first on the swap list. I read so many good reviews on this, it makes me sick that my skin hates it - but if it fails the second test, someone else will love it.

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue swap.

For those of you who may not have read one of my reviews before, I have to preface it with the standard disclaimer: jasmine + my skin = super jasmine. And for that reason, I'm sniffing this in the bottle.

In the bottle: Jasmine. Jasmine. Jasmine. Wow. Those of you who love jasmine willl need to give this a try! There are hints of something deeper, but without a swipe across the skin, I can't pick it out and it would surely get eaten by my skin.

Safe travels little imp!

At first sniff I thought "I like this"...after a few minutes..I LOVED it. It's got a sweetness to it that isn't overpowering or harsh. Gentle flowers...maybe honeysuckle? And I swear I smell some sort of rose...in the very back. It's beautiful

In the vial: jasmine, with something darker lurking. Very interesting.

Wet: jasmine and...?

Dry: this scent dried down to strong jasmine. You will love this scent if you are a fan of jasmine.

This is just jasmine on me. While I like jasmine in some blends, it's just too much by itself. Another floral that doesn't like me!

i thought myrrh would ground out the jasmine and rose making this really wearable

but it just smells like that part in jasmine i can't stand

nice and accurate smell... it's JUST like smelling the scent wafting through my nose on a hot summer day... but i can't stand this as perfume. flowery to the max.

if you like smelling like real jasmine flowers, i recommend this one.

just not for me.

sending this as a frimp right now... hopefully she'll (lookingglass) like it

m*

Edited by marzstar

OMG floral. Strong, heady floral. Myrrh is not a resin I do well, but it adds a darkness that is much needed with all those flowers.

Edited by lookingglass

Smelled amazingly sweet and warm in the imp, but the moment it touched my skin it was Jasmine dish soap and within ten minutes it was just soap. Appears that I'm really not doing well on flowers in any of the other batches aside from Rapuccinni's Garden.

For me, this scent is really best described in dialog format:

Me: < dabs Nyx on wrist>

Jasmine: Hi! I'm Jasmine!

Me: Well, it's certainly nice to meet you. Will you be so kind as to introdu-

Jasmine: I am Jasmine!

Me: Indeed you are, and a lovely scent you are, too. Now, may I---

Jasmine: I!

Me: um...

Jasmine: AM!

Me: uh...

Jasmine JASMINE!

Myrrh: Hello, ma'am, I'm Myrrh, and it's truly a-

Jasmine: JASMINE!

Me: Yes, dear, I know, but I'd also like to---

Jasmine: I love you!

Me: Well, isn't that sweet, but---

Jasmine: LOVE ME TOO!

Me: *sigh* Of course I do, you know that, but---

Jasmine: ME! LOVE! ME!

Rose: Excuse me, I don't mean to interru-

Jasmine: LOVE THE JASMINE!

Me: *sigh* Yes, dear, whatever you say, dear.

And that's pretty much how it continued....:P

The wonderful review by Hatshepsup is what made me run downstairs to test my newly aquired imp of Nyx.

Jasmine? Yes!

Rose? Ugh...

The rose does fade somewhat after a bit so I will probably give this another chance before I kick it to the curb.

Smells good! I smell all the notes. Top is jasmine, middle is myrrh, and the rose is underneath. This one also reminds me of India. I like it very much and I keep smelling myself.

Score: 5 out of 5

This was a frimp, and I would certainly never have sought Nyx out, seeing as how jasmine and I are not exactly bestest buddies. And I don't usually care for myrrh or rose, either. My, the omens are certainly sparkling for this, aren't they?

... yep, soap. I am confirmed in my dislike of jasmine. On a side note, though, this is a distinctly dark and smoky jasmine blend, so those looking for a heady yet ominous floral might want to try this one.

Nyx-

In Bottle: I smell the jasmine! Pretty.

Wet: The jasmine has a pretty smell, but I think the rose is acting a little sour-ish. Will see.

Dry: This does go a little sour-plastic-diapery on me. Not for me, too bad.

Overall: Not for me.

nyx is all jasmine and myrrh on me, starts off with a bit of a bathroom cleaner smell. i keep trying jasmine scents, though i should know better...they are just not my thing. i had thought night-blooming jasmine was better on me, but apparently not, or maybe just in nyx. it doesn't smell bad, i'm just not a fan of jasmine. i like rose, but i don't get any rose from this at all.

I tested this one blind, then checked notes...

Wet, this seemed very flowery to me, but with something else - something darker (musk? incense?). As it dried, each note seemed to get stronger and more pronounced... At this point, one of the flowery notes was getting overpowering, and I also realized there must be rose in this too, because the flowery side just went berserk on me... rose just does not agree with me.

Ah, now I see: the mystery floral is jasmine. I've never smelled it before, so I'm not sure if it is actually a strong floral scent, of if my chemistry just amps it... I think this is one someone else can love better than I - off to the swaps.