BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

Lavender, oh, lavender! You hardly ever do me right, and when you do me wrong, it's soooooooooooooooooo wrong!!! :P

Twilight is a beautiful name, and my favorite time of day, but alas, the lavender riuns yet another good imp for me. The honeysuckle is nonexistant because of this, but the jasmine is fighting to be heard.

This one is not for me. Edited by Shollin

In the imp: Lavender.

Wet: Lavender, softened by jasmine.

Dry-down: the honeysuckle peeks out slowly, the lavender is gradually overrun by the jasmine. Bit of a battle for dominance here and at one point I almost get a bit of lotus. As it wears the honeysuckle overtakes the blend, which is fine by me since it sweetens things up with my chemistry.

On whole, though, lavender in any blend makes me sleepy, so Twilight is a no-go.

It looks like I'm a Midnight girl after all. :P

2/5 on Medici's Scale o' Love

Scent in bottle: Yup; lavender and jasmine. This is a lot like Somnus, only without the sleepiness.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Still sweet but non-heavy lavender and jasmine.

Dry -- And still...you guessed it...lavender and jasmine! Though now the jasmine's dominant rather than the lavender.

Conclusion: A very pretty floral. If I want to smell like lavender and jasmine, but don't want it to put me to sleep, I'll use this. I don't know how often that'll happen, but I'll keep it around for a while just in case.

For some reason wet lavender hits me as sharp and kind of peppery at first, and that's my first impression of Twilight. The honeysuckle was just barely there in the background. The lavender softened a bit as it dried, but it didn't work well on me.

It stayed a blend of jasmine and lavender from bottle to dry skin, although it shifted from the lavender being dominant at first to the jasmine coming out at the end. It's like a much lighter, less warm-quilt-like version of Somnus. It's quite nice, but I'm not much of a floral girl, so this one's up for swaps. It should go to someone who'll actually wear it.

In the bottle: Sweet, almost tangy. The kind of smell that gives you and instant headache (unfortunately). Massive amounts of Lavender. Hopefully it will tone down on my skin.

On my skin: Oh, bad, bad, BAD. Not working at all. An acidy, tart, bitter smell. It reminds me of something almost medicinal... only I can't think of what. Whatever it is, it's not good. 1 minute after drying; it is still very medicinal, but also soapy. Not a good combo. After testing two others (approx 20 minutes later), I sniffed the area where I'd put this on and it was pure soap. It actually smells exactly like those little shell soaps people have in their bathrooms for when guests come over.

Final Thoughts: Negative. This just doesn't work on me. :P

In the bottle- jasmine! Very jasmine, with an herbal undertone of lavender.

On me- heavy, heady jasmine. This is a jasmine-lover's paradise. As I'm wearing it becomes a bit sharper and more biting (that's good). The jasmine does ultimately dissipate, and I'm left with a very herbal scent. It finally softens into a well-mixed floral.

This is a frequently-changing oil on me- I think the final stage (mixed florals) is my favorite.

Bottle: Sweet honeysuckle and lavender, not so much the jasmine (which is OK, I'm not necessarily a jasmine fan).

Wet: Oh. Soap. Oh my. No. I've read reviews complaining that a scent turned soapy, or powdery, but I hadn't had that experience yet so I didn't know how literal that could be. GAH!

Dry: Really, really soapy. I'm sad.

Later: A really lovely lavender..soap...the kind that's shaped and left in decorative bowls on the toilet tank by little old ladies who tat the doilies the bowls sit on. Yes, I smell like an old lady's bathroom. What a shame - totally soapy on me. Someone else will surely love it if their body chemistry does not abuse it like mine does. Let me know if lavender and jasmine appeal to your aesthetic.

I have tried this a couple of times and we were about to put it in the swap pile, but I decided to try it again. today it hit the spot! I fell in love...

Although it goes on a bit harsh for me, sort of a floral trumpet blast! once a couple of hours go by it has mellowed into almost the perfect summer scent. There is something so innocently sensual about this twilight. I used to live with a long gone lover in a lovely Old Portland apartment, and that summer there were moments just as lazy and luscious and unfettered as can be, watching the sun filter through a broad green tree and it was so so hot. This almost took me there.

There was just a *touch* of sharpness that kept spiking through, but in between I could forget it and dream...

It was very strong and I have to be careful to only use a little tiny bit in each spot. I am tempted to put this in a carrier oil and roll it on or something. yeah. yum.

I am still going to look for that more rounded jasmine/honeysuckle (New Orleans, perhaps?), but until I find it, I think Twilight will do.

Edited by urbanruralferal

Twilight

Lavender, jasmine and honeysuckle.

I wish I could recognize these scents separately, because on me one(or more) of them is overpoweringly floral. In a way that is slightly nauseating. I believe that in the outdoors these are delicious scents. But on me I just can't take the floral. Too bad, the thought of wearing twilight seems appealing.

at first: lots of lavender.

on: lavender, with just a hint of musty jasmine.

1 hour later: musty jasmine.

2 hours later: a very quiet, sweet floral.

5 hours later: pretty much gone.

overall: this one just didn't really work on me.

Twilight – The first time I tried this, it was all jasmine. Before I’d even finished pulled the cap off the vial, my olfactory senses were assaulted with the overwhelming scent of thick, heavy, heady jasmine, jasmine and more JASMINE. I quickly washed it off and tossed the imp in my swap pile. BPAL Jasmine is my nemesis. We have to find one single instance where we can be in the same place at the same time. We're mortal enemies. Then I decided to lightly try it again so I could give a blow-by-blow review of the horrid stuff and well, whaddya know, my chemistry must be different today, because I had a completely different experience. When I first open the vial on this particular occasion, I instantly recognize this as lavender. Then the jasmine started to peek through and I thought this seemed like what would happen if Dove's Heart and New Orleans were combined. Once I applied it to my skin, the lavender became the dominant note and smelled almost exactly like Dove's Heart. After about 2-3 minutes the heady lavender scent subsides and the jasmine starts to peek through the lavender again, and from here on out, this is pretty much a perfect balance of light lavender and sweet, floral jasmine with the slightest hint of sweet honeysuckle swirling far beneath the jasmine. It’s soft and powdery, and I love this combo. The jasmine smells exactly like all of the non-BPAL Jasmine oils I’ve worn in my life and loved. It reminds me of a day many, many years ago that I spent driving through the Blue Ridge Mountains in the springtime with the ubiquitous scent of springtime jasmine blossoms wafting through the air and in through the rolled-down windows of my car. I am now extremely confused about this fragrance. I had such a typical BPAL jasmine reaction to it the first try and upon the second try, it's surprisingly gorgeous. I guess I'll pull this out of my swap pile and try it again.

Twilight. I tried it on once midday (while trying on as many of the Buttload as possible) and once after the shower in the evening. I am theoretically wearing it now. However, my soap, Lush's Twas The Night, also smells of lavender, and poor little Twilight makes no impression ten minutes after application. None whatsoever. Little Twilight, alas, lost the Origin of Favourites By Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Blends In The Struggle For Indicolite's Attention. If you leave no memory of yourself, be you blend, jewelry piece, or man, I have no truck with you, sorry.

To the Better-Home Box with you, little Twilight.

This is very much lavender. The honeysuckle and jasmine are in the background but the lavender is the star of the oil. I wouldn't wear a large bottle of this but just a dab from the imp and I am happy. A little bit of this goes a long way!

The lavender and honeysuckle distinguish this a bit from Nyx, both of which I could describe as "jasmine-in-the-summer-evening" scents. For me, something here in Twilight starts out with an almost bitter, musty note--very similar to whatever ruined Goneril and Wicked for me. I don't know what this note is, or why I find it lurking in my usually-friendly florals, but it doesn't like me.

This time the note disappears quickly, but eventually everything else is overwhelmed by the same strong, sweet jasmine that I find in Nyx. It's very pretty, but I just don't need another pretty jasmine floral.

Twilight smells nice. It smells similar to some blends in the Somnus collection. Perhaps that may be why it isn't particularly remarkable to me. The fragrance is nice, but it doesn't make me go "Hey, Martha!" or have me bowled over. It's a nice scent, and I could see why someone would like it, but I have enough scents that are similar in mood and feel to hold onto this imp.

Definitely good for those of you into clean floral scents, though.

-doreen

I really wanted to like this one and thought I would. It has the scents I love.

It didn't work.

For some reason it got weird on my skin, smelled sort of like the litter box, and then faded almost immediately. Not a keeper for me.

Got this as a frimp, and pretty much knew it wouldn't work, because jasmine is always a killer note for me; it just amps to the point of insanity. This one is monstro-jasmine and a bit of soap. Too bad. Nice for someone else, I'm sure.

In the imp: To me this smells exactly like the LUSH bath ballistic called Youki-Hi. Unfortunately, I hate Youki-Hi :P It smells like mothballs and motor oil to me.

Wet: Same as in the imp

Dry: Once the heaviness fades, the honeysuckle comes out which is really pretty. Unfortunately the rest doesn't work for me at all! I passed this on to a friend who adores Youki-Hi!

Lavender and Jasmine are evil and vile on me....

but i still had to at least try this one, because i love honeysuckle...

this smells like it should be a somnus blend. reminds me of alot of "this will help you relax/sleep" oils i've encountered. and for people who don't cringe/gag from Lavender or Jasmine, i'm sure it might....

after the first few minutes, this just turns soapy on me, thankfully.

I really like this one. Okay, I really suck at distinguishing the different scents from one another, but I love the combined effect of the lavender, jasmine, and honeysuckle. On me it's a light and flowery scent that is nice and not at all overpowering. After wearing it for a while, the scent that comes to the forefront is what I believe is the lavender, but it seems tempered and made sweeter and gentler a bit by the other scents. I have worn this one a couple of times for date night with my husband. Right now I only have an imp of this one, but I intend to get a whole bottle when I order next!

imp and skin: lavender and jasmine. uh huh.

dry: more lavender than jasmine.

it's just lavender on me. might as well just spray my lavender mist on myself >> nice scent, it's just....all lavender.

Eek! An aggressively high, sharp floral in the imp. The sort of thing that is generally my bane. And yet, in the interests of the pursuit of knowledge, I for some reason applied some anyway. Partly because I like the name and the description, partly because lavender and honeysuckle don't necessarily always hate me...

Hmmm. Once the initial onslaught fades, it's actually not too bad as florals go. I applied it fairly sparingly, and at least at this level, it's not exactly painful. I can actually smell a bit of a balance of all three notes instead of just being clubbed over the head by the jasmine. It actually smells very relaxing -- maybe it's partly just the lavender's influence, but I could see putting a drop or two of this on a pillow to help you sleep.

I don't know that I'd call it all that otherworldly, let alone "brimming with power and mystery", but it's reasonably inoffensive, for a pure floral. Gentle, calming, not too overwhelmingly sweet, and a bit dreamy. Which does, I suppose, make it otherworldly in its own way.

Unfortunately, right after that, it turns to soap. Oh well.

Grade: C