BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Eros

Santa Eularia Des Riu

Piquant citrus tempered by jasmine, soft Mediterranean herbs, lavender and orange blossom.

My first BPAL ever, and thus my first review.

In the imp - smells like flower in the strong, soapy way I associate with stores that sell things like high end candles. Also, possibly sage? The oil itself is very light yellow.

Wet on skin - the citrus and herbs start to come out, and I would definitely say sage simply because it reminds me of my sage & lemongrass shampoo. The orange-y grapefruit citrus scent reminds me of my citrus airfreshener (but not in a bad way!).

Dry - It smells nice, not especially strong, and the citrus doesn't really last, it is more herb and flower. I thought it was light and airy, with something that made me think of a cool breeze on a hot day.

I liked it, and I'll keep the imp.

It starts out as a lemony citrus with a bit of floral herbs. Lavender is one of those notes that doesn't jump right out to me, but when I see it in a description I go, "oooooh lavender of course! That's what that note is!" That happened with this one too.

It also has a bit of sweetness to it. A floral sweetness.

Once it's completely dry on my skin it is very faint. I'm left with a tiny bit of a hint of floral herbs.

On my skin this is mainly lavender with orange and a little bit of a lemony scent at first. The citrus scent fades when it's drying, and I'm left with mostly lavender an a little bit of jasmine. It's feminine and cheerful.

In the imp: neroli and citrus! I can just about make out a herby lavender base to this, but the jasmine appears to be well-hidden.

On me, wet: orange kitchen degreaser cleaning fluid scent. Man, that neroli amped up like crazy.

On me, dry: wargh. You could use my wrist to scour the oven, the hob, and possibly also the kitchen floor. It's like the scent of every cleaning fluid under my sink in one.

Verdict: jasmine and neroli don't work on me, and I knew that, and yet I tried this anyway when an imp came my way, in the hope they would cancel each other out somehow. Ah well. Unsurprisingly, I do not wish to smell like this.

In the imp, a sharp, piercing jasmine, with a hint of... lavender? Something herbal. Wet, it's more of the same. Jasmine definately dominates, but there's a tangy sharpness stopping it from becomeing too perfumey and heady. Can't decide whether I like this or not...

... aaaaaand then it goes straight to soap, rendering the question moot. Nope!

Santa Eularia Des Riu

In the bottle: Citrus with an undertone of floral, not sure if it might be jasmine or lavender.

On me: Oh, I like the citrus! But after it dries it becomes too floral for my taste. I will probable add this to my swap list.

...huh. This smells like citrus Listerine on my skin. Or maybe citrus mint toothpaste. It smells like some sort of oral cleansing substance, either way.

I don't see anything in the description about mint, but I can't seem to escape it. Perhaps it's the jasmine going strange (as it's wont to do) on my skin and twirling the citrus into a mad dance?

Wet, in a locket or burning, it smells much better: citrus with a strong hint of lavender, just a wee bit of jasmine to sweeten it (and almost over-sweeten it). It smells a bit like how I imagine Santa Eulària des Riu in relation to Ibiza to in general: peaceful, tropical, and refined, with a whiff of gaudiness just outside.

Struggling to come up with a metaphor for this. I only wore it for about an hour.

I guess the closest I can get now, after the fact, is the image of a group of thirteen year olds in a brazilian floral parade, very bright, bright as in sunny, and taking themselves (and their brightness) quite seriously as only thirteen years old can do (that would be the lavender tether.)

It went on so splashy and citrus. whoa, a lot. The jasmine surfaced as it dried, and jasmine is consistently soapy on my skin, so that was there, too, but the lavender held it together and kept it from splashing itself off the page.

This will make a wonderful RAK for someone!

I got this as a free imp from the lab. I'm not totally into flowers but I find that Jasmine and I have a pretty good relationship.

In the imp this is mostly jasmine. I don't even get the faintest hint of anything else until it hit my skin and then it smells faintly citrusy. I know it's supposed to be orange but at first my nose was very convinced that what I was smelling was lemon.

I find this blend to be mostly floral which I don't mind because I like both Jasmine and lavander on my skin but I wish I could get more then just the faint hint of citrus from this because I think that would have taken it from pretty to gorgeous.

I like this okay but I don't think I'll be keeping it as it's pretty but it didn't wow me and I have nuit and zorya to fill my jasmine wants.

Santa Eulària Des Riu – I’ve tried this scent on several occasions, and every single time I smell nothing but green chile peppers. More specifically – La Victoria brand canned diced green chile peppers (my sister agreed it smells like green chili peppers, but she believes it smells like fresh ones, not canned). I know the scent well as I always throw a can in when I brown ground beef for tacos. Anyway, I saw someone online review it and mention that it was a gorgeous citrus, and I was really surprised since I had no idea what the smell was supposed to smell like. I knew chile peppers couldn’t possibly be correct, but I couldn’t for the life of me imagine what it was supposed to be. I looked up the description on the Lab’s website, and I was even more surprised to find out that this blend has jasmine and lavender in it, as those are two BPAL scents that my skin amps up and which usually mask any other scents with which they are blended. I didn’t smell either of this in this blend. I’m thrilled to finally find a BPAL scent where the lavender and jasmine don’t go all wonky on me (since it gives me a small bit of hope for other blends), but at the same time, I don’t think I want to smell like canned green chile peppers, so I’m going to be passing this one along.

This scent might be the most straightforward bpal that I've tried, as in, it didn't change for me from the time I put it on until it faded almost completely. On me this has a lemon-y smell from the get go, kind of sugary sweet. I can also smell the jasmine in the background (yay for my novice nose picking up subtle notes!!), which might be contributing to the sugar-y sweetness I'm smelling.

With this (and also Lurid), I didn't smell any lavender at all. I really like lavender so I'm starting to wonder why I can't pick it up when I know it's there or when other people can smell it. It's not as though lavender is exactly a subtle or faint scent...

This has had the shortest duration of the bpal scents I've tried, although I haven't put a large amount on. It's now 5 hours later and I can barely smell it at all. I probably won't wear it much, not because I dislike it (I don't), but it's just not the "wow" scent that I'm really looking for to match my personality.

In the imp: Lemon Pledge and that orange cleaner. To my nose, my brother's nose, and my mum's nose.

On me, wet: Still citrus cleaning products, oh dear.

On me. dry: Faintly spicy, warm skin. It's fading quickly, though.

Conclusion: Not for me. But it was cool to smell it morph.

I wish there had been loads of jasmine. I love jasmine.

In the bottle: Smells like those lemon hand-wipes.

On: Stays that way for a while but the chemical element fades a bit and the herbs and lavendar start to come out giving it a softer feel.

Turns out much better than in the imp but still not my cup of tea.

I ordered this looking for a fresh summer scent.

Imp: Strong citrus - lemon and oranges with a hint of spice.

Wet: Lavendar comes out, but the lemon remains strong. A hint of herbs in the background.

Dry: Blend of jasmine and lemon, strong and fresh. But it disappears fast - 15 minutes and it's almost gone.

Overall: My first reaction was rather negative, as it reminded me of cleaner. But then I surprised myself by how much I liked it - very refreshing and energizing. If only it lasted longer - like this, it's not really worth keeping. :P

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

Preconception: Notes on this = doom. Citrus typicallly = lemon. Jasmine gets amped by my body chemistry. Not good.

Wet: Jasmine-Lavendar-Lemon ick.

Drying: Fades almost immediately to a light burning plastic smell.

In summary: Uh, no.

In the bottle: mostly lavender, a hint of orange blossom and citrus.

Wet: Very sweet orange blossom and tart citrus.

Drydown: The citrus comes out more and more, with lavender in the background. I start getting a bit of jasmine, very discreet at first. Then I get herbs, sort of citrusy herbs. I don't know what they are, but they do smell very Mediterranean. I think I recognise citronella in there, it smells like a herbal tea mix I have.

Overall: It dries down to lemon soap and herbs. It starts out very fresh and Mediterranean, but afterwards it goes clean, medicinal and of course full of very badly turned orange blossom - it's a note that really doesn't work out on me. Probably very pretty when it works out, but my skin doesn't like it.

Santa Eularia Des Riu-

In Bottle: I smell orange and lavender. Not sure if there's a hint of jasmine or if I just am influenced by the description.

Wet: Lemony! Very bright lemon juice/lemon furniture polish smell. Not noxious like lemon furniture polish but the association may prevent me from a better relationship with this scent.

Dry: Oh, ick. This is the first scent I've actually gone to wash off (and it's not washing off very well). It smells like a baby's changing room, with the soiled baby in it. And the room's just been painted, too. Very nasty plasticky dirty diaper on me. Good-bye.

Overall: Downright noxious.

In the Imp: I get very strong lavender with hints of other herbs. Usually I can pick jasmine out right away, but not in this blend. No orange blossom sweet either, just the sharp herbal.

Initial Wet: Ripe, freshly-cut, juicy grapefruit. That's it.

Initial Dry: The lavender peeks out first from the overwhelming citrus, then other herbs--a soft green scent like sage. No floral jasmine, just the fruit sweet of the citrus.

Drier Dry: After a while, it mellows out to a nice combo of all the notes. It's mostly herbal, but a sweet herbal mixed with lavender that reminds me of a farmer's market herb stall. The jasmine is only barely there in the background, as if there were a flower stall behind the herb stall at the market.

It's a lovely, crisp scent, certainly something that would lift my spirits on dreary days or go well with spring and summer days outdoors, especially because I love a sharp lavender smell.

Hmm, this is very interesting on my skin. Before reading the actual ingredients, I thought SEDR was eucalyptus mixed with pepper. :P But really, I can definitely smell the "piquant citrus" and some of the lavender coming through. This was a freebie from the Lab, and while I will not buy a bottle, it's a unique scent that may be good in a relaxing bath. It's not unpleasant but not how I generally want to smell.

Oh, my goodness. I nearly sent this one on to a friend (trying to tempt her into the BPAL addiction with me) because the first few times I tried it, it turned utterly soapy on me. But before packing it up, I decided to give it one more try, and WOW am I in love! Starts out citrusy, but that quickly disappears on me and it becomes this beautiful jasmine-lavender sort of scent... beautiful and floral, and delicate. It's got great throw, too, but it's very subtle, not in-your-face at all. When my mother caught a sniff, she assumed I was wearing Lush's Flying Fox balm, but to me I almost like this better.. the jasmine of Flying Fox/Youki-Hi can get very cloying and overpowering, whereas this is, as I said, very delicate, and nicely tempered by the sort of herbaly lavender. Absolutely beautiful, and I'm definitely going to be needing a bottle!

i don't care for jasmine or citrus and lavender only in small doses... i don't go for spicy foods and... well, basically knew this would either be horrid or all the bad would cancel each other out.

horrid is the answer

jasmine-citrus-lavender-italian spices (spaghetti sauce without the tomatoes)

and now i go scrub my hands.

A bit heavy on the jasmine and lavender. I do get a faint orange blossom peeking out though. A somewhat slightly citrus greenery with a soft herbal undertone. I'll keep the imp around but won't be buying a bottle.

Sign in to follow this