BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

This one smells very similar to Kumiho. Kumiho is a bit more high-pitched and airy, and Embalming fluid leans a little more towards the lemon side. It's more grounded and stronger (or is that because I used a quarter of an imp? :P ). It's not too lemony though, I guess the tea gives it it's freshness.

All I have to say is that this is WONDERFUL! I love green tea, and this is the best I have ever smelled. It is clean, fresh and bright. If you were outside all day sweating and went and put this on, you would smell like you just got out of the shower! LOVE IT... 10 ML for sure!!!! :P

at first: a wonderful, light scent. this smells so fresh. it also seems like it would be cooling, which should come in handy during the humid chicago summers.

on: on, it seems a bit more acidic. i think the lemon is coming through more.it's definitely a summer scent.

1 hour later: the lemon has disappeared, which is cool. it's very light and fresh, and i can smell the aloe.

2 hour later: this scent has become very watery, i'm assuming from the aloe. there's a bit of a tang from the lemon, with an undercurrent of something else, which may be a combination of the green tea and white musk. very interesting and refreshing for summer.

3.5 hours: over time, this scent got a lot lighter. i really like that the tea scent is coming out.

overall: this is really a lovely scent. i'll be wearing this whenever it's humid. it's a nice, clean scent. i'm definitely a fan.

Seems to me that this is a milder version of The Apothecary -- clear water and gentle herbs, soft strike of citrus. It's nice, but not forceful enough; putting it up for swap.

:D

After reading all the reviews I really wanted to like this, but it smelled just like lemon Pledge on my skin. I waited and waited for it to surprise me, but alas... :P

I guess I'm just not cut out for citrus scents. Ah well.

Unlike Miss Ambrosia, citrus scents seem to like me, and Embalming Fluid is no exception. I've been trying on at least one different scent every day, rather than smearing eight or nine scents on my body at a time, and a few people I work with in the basement know of my recent trials.

However, Embalming Fluid is the only one thus far that I received an unsolicited compliment from. She was quite surprised at the name, but she said it smelled "really good."

I did get a good portion of the lemony scent, but it wasn't a sharp lemon at all, it was like a lemon cookie. I am all for scents that make me want to bite my wrists. And this actually lasted pretty well for a citrus scent, clocking in at around three hours. This is a very light, "green" scent, perfect for spring and summer, as someone has mentioned in a previous posting.

Originally I wasn't going to get a larger bottle of this, but I think I'll have to since it was such a lovely fragrance. Maybe not my next order (I only have so much dinero!), but definitely before the year is out.

-doreen

Hoo boy! This one's strong, man...the smell fills my room the second I open the imp...

in the vial: Citrus, then green tea.

on my skin: STROOONNGG!!! If you don't like green tea, don't try Embalming Fluid. I like green tea a lot, so I'm very pleased with this one's longevity. I smell green tea, lemon and aloe. I

*AM* eerily reminded of the pale yellow/green embalming fluid in the opening credits of Six Feet Under, however, but that only makes the fragrance more interesting. My only objection is that it's awfully sweet, and it may very well give me a headache after a while.

...This one doesn't smell like it's going away any time soon. I'll let you know later whether or not that's a good thing.

First sniff: Oh, I like this. Embalming Fluid is fresh and clean and light, mostly green tea with the barest hint of lemon.

Wearing: The lemon is definitely more evident on my skin, but green tea envelops and calms it, turning the whole into a very cool, smooth, fresh scent that I enjoy immensely. It seemed to fade pretty quickly, but I’ve gotten used to that with citrus scents.

In the vial: Wow, this one has bite. I get lemon and aloe, with a crispness that must be the tea.

On me: In the first five minutes, this smells like expensive furniture polish, then settles down to a sweet lemony crispness that reminds me of Countrytime's Lemonade Iced Tea. But as it continues to settle, the musk and aloe come out more, overshadowing the sweet lemon.

It's not something I'd like to smell like every day, but it certainly is invigorating!

As a house scent, I loved this. It has a very fresh, crisp scent - like cleaning house with the windows open, minus any chemical residue. But on me the green tea morphed into something unpleasant. It reminded me of a bad cologne I hated during adolescence, though I can't recall the name. But on its own, it was a nice house scent for summer.

I do love this bright, clean smell. The lemon seems more "limey" to my nose, though, which is good, because I don't get the whole Lemon Pledge effect that so many seem to experience.

Unfortunately, just like Kumiho, which I also love, this has no staying power on me. It makes me so sad that only the spicy, foody scents or the deeper florals last on me.

the lovely, wonderful hypothermya sent this to me as a generous and thoughtful freebie in our swap. i expressed to her my concern that i would never order this simply because of the name, as i'm sure someone else has said in here.

"hey, you smell good! what are you wearing?"

"um.. embalming fluid."

".. :P "

so, thank you hypothermya!

this got some pretty funny looks when i opened up my package and went, "OH! EMBALMING FLUID!" of course, i really didn't think anything of it when i said it, but then i realized that my predictions of their reaction were true.

the first thing that hit me when i opened the top was the lemon and the green tea, with the green tea hiding in the background. the more i smell it, the more i can make out the white musk, but it's very, very faint to me.

sadly, when i put this on, it faded to a urinal smell within 20 minutes. i'm not sure why that is. maybe it's because i'm (too much information alert!) on my period, so i'll try it again in a couple of days. i want to save the rest to pour into an oil diffuser, though. overall, i love this one a lot. it's probably my favorite out of the "clean" smells. mmm.

I loved this scent in the bottle - lemon with a kick. I almost thought it was eucalyptus - I'm not sure if it's the aloe or the green tea, but I liked it, whatever. Once I put in on me, though, it turned into Lemon Heads. Anyone remember those? The little, bright yellow lemon candies that were (are?) sweet and sour at the same time. Which, truthfully, is even better, since I loved those candies.

It didn't last very long, though, and my husband said that it hurts his teeth. I'm thinking of using it as a scent for my car, because it's so fresh and yummy!

I thought this would have less character, since everyone said this was rather light. It's lemony and there's green tea, but it has a lot of oomph that makes it very distinct. It's a very yellow, slightly sour, but not too sour, because it's sweet, lemon oomph. It didn't seem that light to me, but then, I was comparing it to Old Shanghai, which is really light. This lasted about two hours on me, before fading into oblivion.

On me, Embalming Fluid is very lemony when wet. It then dries down to an unpleasantly antiseptic scent, which I suspect is the combination of lemon and aloe.

:sigh: I wish that Embalming Fluid worked as well for me as it obviously did for most of the reviewers, since there are days when I crave fresh, clean scents and tea scents fit this bill nicely. I've since learned that my skin doesn't play nice with lemon, so that unfortunately eliminates most of BPAL's tea scents since they almost always contain lemon. Kumiho works much better for me in the tea scent department.

Well hello there lemon how are you?

My love/hate affair with lemon continues in Embalming Fluid. Lemon pledge. Sigh. Someday I'm gonna find a lemon blend that DOESN"T do this. No...really... :P

Off to swaps.

Wow, this is fabulous.

Like The Dormouse, it makes me think of UII Sheer Scent-- even more so, really-- and (as someone else noted) Calyx by Prescriptives. It's so very clean and beautiful, and I usually cannot wear lemon at all. I think this is the first lemon note *ever* that hasn't gone lemon pledge on me in .2 seconds.

I definitely want a big bottle of this, but I'll probably wait for a bit, because this is summer all the way.

Oh my god I hate my sinuses!!!

I applied the tiniest bit of Embalming Fluid earlier and I am so damn in love with it's crisp, clean, fresh scent... but my sinuses spotted the musk in it, and they have retailated something fierce!

This scent is truly gorgeous... oh how I wish I could wear it! I keep sniffing myself, even though it is making those damned sinuses hurt even more. :P

got this free in my first order...

first impression: Pledge

On me: Pledge

Later: Still Pledge...

which sucks becuase I so love the name...

but...

I swapped it for something nice...

and someone suggested that this would make a great room scent (as rooms can smell like pledge without getting funny looks) so now I'm putting it BACK on the wishlist so that I can try it...

it IS terribly bright and sunshiny... and that's just lovely for the casa... just not for the cuerpo(body)

~robyn

This is very similar to Kumiho on me. It's a light, lemony tea scent. It does go a little soapy on me (in fact, I think it would make a fabulous soap or shower gel) and disappears quite quickly.

Since it is so similar to Kumiho and I think Kumiho works a bit better for me, I'm not sure I'd buy a larger bottle of this. Sorry Embalming Fluid, but I don't feel I have room for another lemon-tea scent. :P

On me, Embalming Fluid is mostly green tea with a hint of lemon, and a faint hint of musk. (Enough lemon to give it texture without overpowering lemoniness). It smells like a good commercial green tea scent (since it is such a popular scent in perfumes, lotions, etc.) I think it would be a good choice for a friend who doesn't like the incensey perfume scents. I think I am going to get more of this in spring, it will be a great springy/summery scent. I enjoy it a lot, especially for the days when you want a light, clean scent.

In the Bottle: Embalming Fluid is a sharp, tangy tea scent, a lemon tea scent, maybe with a hint of a sharp floral behind it. I'm a little worried about the lemon overpowering this, though.

On Me: Wow, this is really beautiful! The tea scent comes through really nicely, and I smell more of a floral than the lemon, like usual. This is simply gorgeous! I love tea scents, and this one is quickly becoming my favorite.

The only problem with this scent is that it fades Way too quickly. Within 20 minutes I'm having to reapply. No fair! :pout: Oh well, I have no problem with reapplying. This scent more than makes up for that. I'll have to get a big bottle and bathe in it.

I don't really like lemons, but I was still drawn to this one, and I'm glad. It smells more like a grove of lemon trees than it does just a bottle of lemon Joy or something. The tea is a nice anchoring scent that is freshened by the lemon but not too overpowering.

In bottle: This is a clean, bright citrus. It's a cool bright, if that makes sense. 'Embalming Fluid' sounds so morbid to me, but really, it's the perfect name for this.

On me: This goes lemon dish soap on my almost immediately, but wears off after several minutes. The scent retains a sharp bite from the lemon and the green tea, although the other notes work to temper it a bit. It still reminds me of lemon drops but I love lemon candies so it's a keeper, rather than lemon overload like June Gloom.

This is a beautiful scent. I got this as a freebie from the lab.... (amongMANYother freebieswhatawonderfullab!) Frankly, it smells like my guy's deodorant (but don't recall the brand). Which I L-O-V-E LOVE. The white musk and green tea stand out the most out of the bunch, with lemon a close third. My only concern with wearing this scent is that.... I'd smell like men's deodorant. Which isn't a good idea when my folks don't know about him. :P