BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

(Re-reviewed on 1 Feb 06)

Rating (on skin): 5/5
Summarised in a word or two: Green tea with lemon.

In the imp/bottle: Green tea with lemon and just a drop of musk.

On skin, wet: Green tea, musk and lemon. I'm not much of a lemon fan, but, as in Dorian, it's quite nice, because it's not strong or prominent.

On skin, dry: Absolutely lovely. Fresh and clean without being soapy or fake. It has great staying power, even if it doesn't have a very strong throw.

Conclusion: EF and I have an on-again/off-again relationship. In April 05 we had a torrid love affair. Then, it betrayed me, and became a strong lemony powder. In February of '06, it's come 'round again, and is currently playing nice. Hopefully we'll be able to sort out our issues. Edited by Aredhel

Lemon and green tea-slightly sugared-from beginning to end. Like Fresh’s Lemon Sugar and the Healing Garden Green Tea swirled.

Soft, sweet, fresh, and addictive.

Its *so* going in my next order.

i liked this; the lemon was very prevalent at first, followed by the musk. and a tiny hint of the green tea. never did get the aloe scent going. it makes me think that it would be perfect for hot summer afternoons when all you wanna do is lie in front of a fan and play with the ice cubes in your sweet tea.

First Impression: Fresh and lemony.

Second Impression: Not much to add to the four pages of reviews. Enbalming Fluid is a nice, fresh tea scent. Very light and disappears ever so quickly.

Final Analysis: I prefer the Apothecary for depth and staying power, but still a nice summer scent.

I much prefer Shanghai to Embalming Fluid, which is a slightly more gender-neutral version of the former. Slightly more lemony and less sweet than Shanghai, Embalming Fluid is also not as long-lasting.

I'd stick with Shanghai for my tea/aquatic/lemony fix, unless you want an oil for your boy :P .

My first review!

I wasn't even considering Embalming Fluid until I hit the Recommendation thread and saw how often it was suggested.

In the bottle it was very lemon with a hint of aloe. The tea comes in strong at the end of a deep inhale. Fresh, light, tangy.

Wet: Lots of lemon, crisp and effervescent-- Delicious. Slightly afraid of this starting to smell like Lemon Pledge on me as other citrus scents have, but so far so good.

Dry Down: Still lemony, a bright bubbly lemon softened only slightly by the greens and musk. Delightfully fresh. This scent is almost perky.

Later: It takes a little while for the lemon to completely fade on me, and I'm left with a very light fresh scent that is so well blended I can't pick out any particular notes. It's clean without being soapy and slightly sweet. No Pledge anywhere, thank goodness.

Final Thoughts: What a great morning/pick me up scent. This lasted longer than I was expecting from previous reviews. I was still getting the occasional whif five to six hours after application, and after 8 could still pick it up on my wrist. I can see myself getting a bigger bottle of this one.

This is a strange brew. It's got a venerable edge to it that I definitely was not expecting, and I highly doubt it's the musk.

The onset was a strong lemon/lime - in fact the scent has stayed pretty much constant throughout without morphing too much. It's been about three hours and it hasn't really evolved - it's antiseptic, and I think it would work very well as a cologne on a guy.

For me, however, it's a bit too sterile - though I love the concept, and the overall impression that I'm hanging around a morgue is... interesting... to say the least.

All I need is a nice, polished, metallic surface to chill out on.

Oh dear, I've gone and spilled green tea all over my clothes. No... wait... that's just the Embalming Fluid I'm wearing. :D

I have to agree that this is a very uplifting morning scent. It pepped me right up and actually lasted quite a long time. It never really morphed from the strong green tea note, but I didn't really mind because I love the smell of green tea. :P

A lemony scent greets me from the imp, it is light, fresh and a bit tart.

As it dries and mellows, it becomes muskier, the lemon keeps it very fresh and invigorating. This would be an excellent wake-up scent, it almost has a sparkling quality.

Love it. :P

This smells alomost exactly like Clinique Happy. Very smooth and bright. I don't think any of the notes are the same, but I think its the aloe that makes them smell similar to me.

sort of citrusy but the aloe really takes the edge off. I like this one alot, but due to the sweetness I can tell I would get sick of it fairly quickly if I ever got a bottle.

Since Embaling Fluid seems to be one of the most recommended warm weather scents, I decided to purchase a bottle of this unsniffed.

I'm glad I did because it's not a blend I would have purchased for myself normally.

The notes have been covered very well & this is one BPAL blend that my chemistry doesn't seem to alter.

However, there's something very peculiar that happens when I wear Embalming Fluid. Call me crazy but I swear people smile at me more, strangers engage me in whitty conversation, happiness follows me like a wonderful cloud!

Not what you'd expect wearing EF, I know but believe me, this is what's happening.

I knew I loved BPAL...now I found a BPAL with "benies".

In the bottle: Lemon and green tea with a weird note of chemicals

First on: Very strong on the chemical scent, lemon and green tea

After a while: Plain and simple, this is like a synthetic green tea scent on me. Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this one.

Nothing really new to add to the previous reviews...

In the vial - Lots of lemon and a hint of tea

On me - Equal parts lemon and tea, and a tiny bit of musk. It's a very light, crisp scent. I suspect this one will fade quickly, but I like it (the scent, not the fact that it'll fade quickly).

Edited by Diviana

in the vial--very green and slightly sweet

wet--still very green with a hint of citrus. Smells a lot like EA's Green Tea, but I think it's a bit more complex and a bit sweeter.

dry--my skin just sucked this scent into oblivion. It didn't last more than a couple of hours, but I got a LOT of compliments during that time. (How fun was it to answer "Embalming Fluid" to those asking what I was wearing? The looks on their faces :P )

I like it, but it didn't last at all. I'll try it in a scent locket to see how that works.

embalmingfluid.jpg

Embalming Fluid is a dead ringer for Shanghai. I loved the premise of both and they sounded like excellent summer scents, but Shanghai turned into mildew on my skin. I hoped that I was not so scared by Shanghai that I would reject Embalming Fluid. I wanted a beautiful tea scent which I could wear in the summer and I could not see how either one of them could cause my skin to turn them into something off-putting.

I tried this scent on one of the hottest , stickiest and most unpleasant nights I have ever suffered through without air conditioning. Embalming Fluid is the coldest blend in my large arsenal of imps. Sad to say my skin does not take to Embalming Fluid. I have come to realize that Green Tea does not like me and turns into something thoroughly "off" as soon as it starts to dry. It does last like crazy, but alas it did turn on me. On the right person it would be the killer summer scent. Sad to say that I am not that person.

So, if you are having a bad reaction to Green Tea in your BPAL, here is a recommendation if you are perishing for tea scent in the summer: Sudha Segara. It's billed as milky/creamy but it comes out as real pure lovely tea on me, and perhaps on thee!

Edited by olympia301

Embalming Fluid: Well this one has a nice sharp white musk aroma to it. I also get a lot of lemon and just a little green tea. Nice, has a masculine kick to it though. :P

Bottle (Imp): Musky citrus.

Just On: Oh yes, musky citrus.

An hour or two later: Soapy musk and a hint of citrus.

Around 6 hours: This went cloyingly soapy with my skin, so it's not likely that I can wear this, but I'd get some to use as a room scent. I love the name especially, so it would also be something to see if I can enable people. <g>

12 hours: It went bye bye.

Overall: It's a lovely scent, but it's not something I can wear. Dumb skin.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get the lemon pledge out of this that others did. I would have liked that better.

Embalmed Desk Fluid

Imp-pression: Woah hey lemony but not as sugary as June Gloom.

Skin: Almost too lemony at first, but it calms down.

Desk: I spilled the imp a bit. I liked this on my desk, bigtime. Perhaps I need a woodsy lemon.

Verdict: I know someone who will probably like this. :P I don't think me and citrusey work.

Wet I get aloe and green tea with a touch of lemon.

It's a fresh and citric perfume with the soft aloe note.

Good for summer days.

It isn't as lemony as I hoped (I thought it might compare to June Gloom) but it is very nice.

It isn't as refreshing..it is a little more warm and sunny..Has a little more floral feel to it. But I like it enough to buy a large bottle (5ml not 10ml)

Not saying warm and sunny is bad...I find it very comforting and will wear it often. As I sniff it I wonder what I could layer with it...but have come to the conclusion that it is a good scent to wear alone. I tried lightning earlier and even though it was put on another arm..they are fighting for my attention.

It is more of a perfume then most of my scents....but the notes that were used makes it very wearable and doesn't go all funky like most commercial perfumes do on me.

If actual embalming fluid smelled this good, I would consider a career as a mortician.

This is a fresh, bright green tea with lemon. The white musk isn't turning to laundry detergent on me, thankfully. I found it similar to Dorian, but without the vanilla and less creamy. It's also similar to the Apothecary, but less herbal. It doesn't go fake-smelling or cloying on me, but remains a refreshing, uplifting scent.

My imp will get a lot of use during the summer.

In the imp: Bright and green. Nearly overpoweringly green.

Wet: I can smell the lemon. Not as strong a lemon as Phantasm, and it's tempered by what I'm assuming is the tea.

Dry: The musk surfaces and makes the scent more rounded and less sharp.

In addition, my fiance kept grabbing my wrist and smelling me. I think for that alone I'll be getting a bigger bottle of this!

I received an imp of this from ivyandpeony, which I send many thank yous for.

In the imp, this is just a fresh, soft tea scent with a little hint of lemon. It's very light and relaxing.

On, the tea/lemon mix becomes a little more powerful on me, with just the tiniest hint of musk as a background note. It was surprisingly strong, and wafted across a couple of booths when I went to coffee, causing several people to ask what smelled so good, and one friend to spend twenty minutes sniffing my wrists and neck.

Several people mentioned that this didn't last very long, but I had a good five hours of strong scent before it started to fade. I can actually still smell it now, after sixteen hours and a nap, though it is much lighter.

Final result - I'm glad I ordered a big bottle. This is beautiful, and a perfect summer scent.

This was an imp I wanted to get when I first heard of BPAL, but I kept ordering others instead.. Don´t know why, silly, silly me...

Fortunately I was able so buy this from AnnetteL, and yes, it was love at first sniff. I didn´t know I loved the lemon+green tea so much, but now I recognize the smell from several products I have been the proud owner of in the past.

I don´t get any musk at all, but that´s okay. It´s devine with just the lemon and green tea. I might just have to get a bottle of this. And yes, I kinda like the name, and being that English isn´t my first language, I don´t think anyone would think I´m actually wearing embalming fluid, so that´s all cool :P

I hear this is supposed to be citrus and I LOVE the stuff, so let's get to it!

In the vial - Holy...!!! Wow, this is lemony! There's a hit of orange in there and what smells like rose geranium hidden in the background, although I think that's a combination of the aloe and the green tea.

Wet - The aloe pushes the lemon to the side, although it still there in the background.

Drying - I want to BATHE in this stuff! It really, really smells like rose geranium now, that lemony green scent. And the lemon throws like heck! I'm not getting any musk, but tons and tons of citrus.

Dry (30 minutes) - The green tea really stands out now, which usually gives me huge headaches, but the lemon really tones it down. Really, it still smells like rose geranium to me. =)

Overall - This faded FAST. 1 hour and it was completely and utterly gone. =/ Still, I really, really like it, so I'm tempted to get a big bottle and just reapply constantly. =P