BPAL Madness!

Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood.

minty fresh sweet floral. A fragrance that takes a contradiction in terms and makes it work as a seamless sophisticated blend. It's light and fresh and floral, but far from "girly" - self-assured but relaxed.

Not a great deal of throw - someone would have to lean in close to smell your self-assurance :P

It works on me, but my personal style doesn't favour this kind of fragrance, so I've passed it on to someone I hope will do it more justice!

I smell vioooolets. Mmm. With very few exceptions (Sybaris, I'm lookin' at you), blends containing violet work on me. Although I have been informed that they smell like old lady. I don't care, I love them; they smell clean to me.

Utrennyaya is definitely a floral scent, but it's one of the rare florals that doesn't turn into detergent on me. It actually ends up smelling like a perfume I used to have, although I can't remember which one (not very helpful, I know : P). It's just a very strong scent memory.

I can pick out the violet, definitely, and a little mint; there are a few other florals lurking in the background, but I'm no good at picking those out. This is a very light scent. Sweet and bright and a little grassy. I like it. I might nab some more when spring comes around.

In the bottle:

A very clean floral.

Wet:

This reminds me a lot of Venus when wet -- the herbal, mint/rose combo is very distinctive.

Drydown:

In the end, this doesn't work for me, because rose and violet both turn soapy. But if you're looking for something similar to Venus, I'd recommend this.

I really liked this a lot. It didn't change much from wet to dry on me. My skin seems to amp up the florals a bit, but the mint grounds it nicely and prevents the florals from running wild. I don't think I consciously smell any sandalwood, but that might help too. It reminds me of a clean, grassy garden full of white flowers. I don't think I could pick out most of the florals in it because they're pretty unfamiliar to me, but Utrennyaya definitely smells like white flowers to me and on me. I like florals, so I'm more than okay with this, but I'm not sure if someone who doesn't like florals would like it nearly as much. I don't think it's overpoweringly floral because it's also clean and minty, but the florals are definitely there.

I'm new to BPAL and am just trying out about 5 imps that turbojenn sent me, so it's likely I'll change my mind with time, but so far this is definitely my favorite BPAL scent. But again, I've tried only 5 so far. :P

I smell mint.

This reminds me of a mojito. Sweetly minty. It also reminds me of gum.

Well, if my breath is kickin', I can line my mouth with Utrie, but as it stands, I doubt I'll wear this. But I'm always glad to try out stuff from the Lab. Gimmie! I'll be the guinea piggie!

-doreen

Imp: Black tea, white mint, sweet and damp floral

Wet: Smells dirty at first. The mint isn't playing very well with the palmarosa and white sandalwood. Don't think I'm liking the mint in this one. This is chilly and white, for sure.

Dry: This didn't last very long at all. Odd. It turns into a light floral with slight mint, a warm mint.

Category: Toothpaste mint

Rating: 1.5/5; didn't last, mint was not pleasant

Overall: I wanted to like this scent a lot, but it didn't work out. The mint was not the kind I was expecting, the blend was like a mint tea. Female Toner tea, really, but not as pleasant. I don't think I'll give this a third chance.

o, nice! This starts out as a nice light scent. It's not overly floral. As it dries it warms up and I can smell something a tad spicy.. violet? You know, this is the third violet scent I've tried this evening and they've all turned out different. This is definitely my fav of the three. Very fresh and pretty. I think the mint really plays up nicely to the violet. It *almost* smells lavendery to me.

I really like this one.

Given to me as a frimp in a trade...no idea what to expect from this.

In the Bottle: Fairly minty and something else I can't quite identify but it feels a little dirt-y.

Wet: More floral comeing through but there's still a strong mint smell. Doesn't have quite the sting I would normall consider mint to have...probably calmed down by the floral. I've always shied away from sandalwood scents but I can't even pick it out here! Perhaps it's just red sandalwood I don't like...

Dry: The mint has actually faded a bit but is still present. It's a lovely floral scent and seems absolute perfect for the spring/summer.

Verdict: I'm fairly new to BPAL but this is my favorite scent yet! :P And it hasn't morphed into anything icky. If this is still the case when I go to bed tonight, I may just have to order myself a bottle! Oh the beauty of frimps.

Edit: I definitely need a bottle of this when I get the money. So clean and crisp, and floral without being extremely "girly". On me the florals blend well and I can't pick out any particular scent. I also can't pick ou tthe sandalwood (which is good). The tiniest tinge of mint is still in the background. I do agree that this is a perfect scent for what it is. Someone mentioned it being "cold" and in a way it is...not frigid, but distant like the star itself. Clearly I'm still in love with this scent!

Edited by neuilly

Ok, i got this one in a swap off of my wishlist...

at first this is a bit weird... mint, but with a floral in the background? I almost put this in the swap pile, but just sniffed it again (after it having been on my arm for about an hour), and I LOVE what it is now! sort of like what a minty tea would smell like? the floral and mint finally melded together perfectly :P

In the imp: Oh no no NO. Besides the white floral waiting to come out, there is also a "fresh", "clean" scent. I put it on anyway.

Wet: FRIED RICE!? There is almost a pear smell, too. And honeysuckle, if you really look for it.

Dry: There is still fried rice, which doesn't make any sense, but it isn't really foody, more spicy. There is a lovely floral in the background (I didn't know floral could be lovely), and the pear reminds me of some liquid pear soap some friends have. Which is not, by the way, soapy.

Sadly, this faded within an hour.

bottle:

mint, and ugh violet

wet:

mint, hint of violet, some sandalwood/palmerosa

dry:

not nearly as bad as I expected based on my first violet experiences with bpal (ultraviolet, saturnalia). It's not bad, in fact, without the violet it would probably rock.

overall:

gets better and better with time… still a borderline scent

rating: 6/10

Utrennyaya

in vial: mint

wet: minty floral (mostly violet)

dry: the mint fades and this is mostly a soft rose and violet scent (one of the few violet scents that actually smells ok on me)

verdict: nice, but not big bottle worthy

In imp: light woody herbal with a white floral twist.

Wet: palmarosa comes right out and overpowers everything else.

Drydown: a little sandalwood struggles mightily to come through, but it's still a palmarosa scent.

Top notes: Rose, violet and palmarosa with an oddly musky undertone.

Middle notes: the violet gets stronger, and the sandalwood starts to make an appearance. The rose is still there, but the palmarosa seems to be fading.

Base notes: rose. *siiiigh* This means it's going to go stale on me, as nice as the initial stages were.

Throw: medium

Rating: 4 out of 5 (not my thing, but I appreciate the complexity and I would recommend it to floral lovers)

A green floral at first, then after drying off, it started smelling very different. It reminds me of Sanrio erasers that I collected as a little girl. I really wanted to like this, because of the name and meaning to me, but I'm just not liking the smell. :P

When wet it is very herbally, minty. Very green smelling. It reminds me a bit of Envy with its smell of fresh green cut grass and of mint. Sweet though, as I can smell the florals through it as if the green smells were a fence or a screen. A lot of notes I can't quite place, but it definitely smells like a late spring/early summer scent.

ETA: definitely more floral as it dries.

Utrennyaya - On my skin, this is all white sandalwood and mint. As usual, both are notes which don’t compliment my skin chemistry well at all. I am very disappointed that I cannot smell any rose or violet, as those notes are the reason I wanted to try this scent. You win some and you lose some, I suppose. I only wore this once, as the scent was too dry and sharp for my taste.

Ummm. Smelled wonderful in the imp-like crystal made into scent.

Stays lovely, light, bright, sweet and clear for about 5 minutes, then becomes perfumy, I can smell the violets but they are overshadowed by a distinctly bitter scent, no clue what it is. I do not like this after all, and will be passing on my imp.

Recieved as a frimp!

In the imp: crisp florals. I am starting to get a little wary of this....

On skin: Minty, herby cool scent with something that unfortunately smells icky to

me underneath. That icky thing smells earthy and....kind of like old vase water :P This is not looking up.

Dry: erm...same as above.

Verdict: The mintyness was great, but that other part was not. I actually had to go wash it off and slather some Dorian in its place. Utrennyaya I really really loved your name but obviously, we were not meant to be...

First sniff: I saw the violet and rose and shied away… but the primary thing I smell in the vial is MINT. Ubermint with a very wet background that reminds me of cucumbers.

Wearing: It’s impressively minty, but the flowers are beginning to peek out around the edges. It settled into minty roses before it faded completely, which happened too fast because I didn’t trust it to behave and only put it on one wrist. :P That’ll show me. It was quite nice.

Wet: soft, pretty floral mixed with mint

Drydown: the mint loses most of its power pretty quickly, but the floral notes are there to pick up the slack. there's just a touch of rose, which isn't overwhelming, and an overall soft, pretty, and cool & glittering. Very nice.

In the imp and wet this one screams of mint. Not a note that I go out of my way to choose.

Dry - this one is a whole other story. The mint fades quickly (thank goodness) leaving an ultra crisp floral that has a slight wet edge. I get almost no rose at all which I find odd since rose is always good with my chemisty. I can bearly eek out the violet. All in all the florals seem to blend together as one here. Also glad the the sandalwood stays way at the bottom

I could definitely wear this one daily. :P

Looks like another one for the "buy a bottle" list.

Utrennyaya-

In Bottle: Woo, I smell that mint, and it's lovely!

Wet: A zingy fruity note, and something like melon and tea, and that mint again.

Dry: Hmm, that melon persists, but the whole thing fades fairly quickly. Oh, well.

Overall: Fast fader.