BPAL Madness!

Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood.

In the imp: mint tea over some florals - sort of sweet and clean-smelling.

On me, wet: lots of mint, lots of clean fresh florals, not as sweet as in the imp. Very pure-smelling, somehow.

On me, dry: a green, crisp but sweet floral. Very fresh and damp-feeling - I bet this would be lovely for summer.

Verdict: I think I'll definitely be keeping this imp around - a lovely light crisp clean feminine scent. But not quite a bottle purchase yet.

On first sniff, this is rose and mint, cool and sweet. Pretty! As it dries, the scent grows greener, more herbal. I catch hints of the sandalwood behind it, faintly. This is lovely! Very much a morning scent, dew still trembling on the garden's leaves.

What would have been a lovely, minty, delicate floral was ruined by the interaction between rose and my skin chemistry. This turned from pure mint to pure soap. :P

to me this smells like soft mint, violet, tea and grass. it has an underlying quality to it that reminds me a lot of the mock turtle's lessons, but less sweet and more floral-herby. quite nice, but i have other similar scents that i like better and that don't fade so quickly on me.

Odd. This smells minty AND powdery on me, and it's a very strange combination. It's a soft mint, not a piercing one, and the florals are pretty gentle. It's nice, but too floral for me.

In the bottle, Utrennyaya is a bag of mint tea! Applied, wet, it's a cup of mint tea! It almost smells like chamomile is in there somewhere but this may be due to my mental bias interpreting it in terms of tea. :P As it dries, more flowers unfold, notably the violet. It seems to be one of those light scents that disappears into the ether after an hour or two.

Verdict: very very nice, but I prefer Dorian for tea perfume.

this is my second of the zorya, and i now believe that we just don't get along. upon application i smell mint, leaves and sandalwood, just like i'm supposed to. maybe a bit of rose. it's all fine and dandy but not something i want to smell like. to the swap pile!

In the imp: WHOOSH! This stuff is minty! :P

On my skin, the violet comes to the foreground, and the interplay between the bright mint and cool, dark violet is lovely, really evocative. If I pay attention, I can make out the rose and the sandalwood too, rounding out the scent.

This is a really beautiful perfume - the equivalent of standing in my parents' cottage garden on a clear summer night under the stars. I think I might need a bottle of this.

eta: the osmanthus has come out to play now that I've applied some more - it makes Utrennyaya smell like the less fruity younger sister of Venice. I'm still loving this blend!

Edited by Cariad

Minty rose that dries to powdery violets and sandalwood. Given the notes, I was reluctant to try it on, but it's actually a great scent, and the rose doesn't go soapy!

Utrennyaya

Dry, it's a sweet floral, slightly cloying. Before that, it had an icy freshness that it. It's quite layered and goes through stages.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

3 : I don't dislike it. But, it surely isn't me.

In the imp: cool, soft, sweet, herbal mint. The sweetness is rosy, not foody.

Wet on me: Now the rose is the dominant note (still gentle though) with the mint soft behind it. It becomes a little bit damp and grassy; less ethereal and more like a dewy garden just before the sun rises.

After a few minutes: Still light mint sweetened by rose and osmanthus, which is almost honey-like. The violets and other notes are not strong at this point (or at least my nose can't discern them).

Drydown: Ooh, it's warmed up now! Sweet osmanthus and warm, elegant sandalwood, with rose that smells quite delicate like tea-rose. The mint is just a suggestion now and thankfully doesn't seem to be turning herby and bitter on me the way it did in Tokyo Stomp.

:P :D :D

This is so pretty! Sweet mint (almost like sugary mint sweets but I can't wear the BPAL sugar note so that must be what "white mint" does) and florals - there are probably more than rose and violet here, but they're the only two I can smell under the mint.

I may need to find some more of this - it's completely unlike anything else I've tried and I love it.

Urennyaya (pale yellow oil)

Imp: Smells minty cool and floral. Something nostalgic about this...

Skin: Sweet mint and palmarosa, palmarosa being the strongest note. The florals, rose in particular, dance at the edges. I didn't get any apparent sandalwood, except for hints in the palmarosa. This is calming - I wouldn't be surprised if somebody used this more as an aroma oil than perfume. It has a sense of tranquility about it. I relaxed and sunk into my beanbag after sniffing this. Good for stress!

Light weight, gently cool, Allyear scent.

In the imp it's black tea with some mint. On my skin it's sugary tea with an undercurrent of sandalwood. It's a morpher- the mint and sandalwood become more prominent over time. An interesting blend- now I need to work on pronouncing the name...

UTRENNYAYA

In Bottle: Soft, sour and minty

On Skin: The rose amps out of control, super bitter and sour. The violet tries to peek out and offer a sweet note but the rose slaps it away. The sandalwood is woody and clean. The mint holds it’s own though, very strong and combined with the rose I get a bit of a medicinal smell from this. Yep, it’s the Numb syndrome: foot cream. Not as bad as numb, but along the same lines. This scent has a few more notes that help keep it from making me cringe, but it’s still not my thing. It is very pungent and while seeming like a light smell, the throw is actually quite strong. The staying power is average to long.

Initial Impression: minty floral

On Wet: minty, sweet, light floral, very airy

On Dry: florals coming out more now, airy

Final Impression: very lovely. Oddly, this seemed a night fragrance to me rather than day.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 4

imp: minty grass

wet: dew-kissed grass and wispy, unidentifiable pale flowers

dry: same as above, but the mint reappears

As it sits, it becomes rounder and warmer, almost fruity sweet.

Very much a morning scent, especially with the grassy notes. (what are they??) I almost expect to hear birds peeping.

Edited by maribouquet

In the Imp (wet):Mint is only the slightest of notes. What comes across is a fresh cool spring breeze.

On facial cotton (dry): The sandalwood notes take centrestage, but its usual coying nature is held back by the mint and rose notes.

On me: The freshness of this scent makes it interesting and the mint was not at all toothpasty. Its bite reminds me of some ozone scents I have, without the crispness. The floral bouquet is not as girly as I expected, which is a plus. I'm actually growing to like this scent for daywear.

Mmm.. Minty herbal tea. I smell the mint first off, but its not overly minty. It's being mellowed out by the violet, with just a tad sweetness of rose. At first it's just a soft minty fresh, but when you smell deep, you get that calming intsy tinsy bit of flowers making it calm and soft. Just beautiful!!!!

In imp: wow, that's shifting a lot. Smells like sweet flowers, and peppermint tea. Kinda. In all directions. On my skin, it's minty. Oh, that never lasts. And... something like hay. And earth. And--

--good grief, I'm flashbacking to a stable. A stable where someone's just put something green and somewhat minty out for a treat for the horses.

2 min: oh, thank goodness. A touch of the floral coming back. That scent was just getting weird.

5 min: Floral, with a minty-spicy overtone. Not really picking up the sandalwood—maybe a hint in the background.

10 min: Mint and florals—not rich, but strong (I want to call them “white”, but that sounds too delicate).

15 min: florals over a solid base of sandalwood.

30 min: think layers of warm florals over sandalwood; somehow refreshing, rather than relaxing. Odd.

1 hr: very faint sandalwood. Hmh. Lasts hours, pleasant enough, but I end up getting a faint plastic-y undertone and it doesn't smell good, just okay. Swappable, I think.

Love and coffee,

Frances

In the bottle I smell the violet first, but then I always do. On the skin wet, the white mint, palmarosa and osmanthus come to the fore in a very green, almost grassy scent. Dry, the florals come to the fore with the sandalwood as the bottom note. The hubby says it's not a sexy smell but a very light and pleasant one.

This is well-suited to daytime wearing and would be a perfect scent for a girl (and considering Utrennyaya is the Maiden aspect, fitting). It's clean, not too crisp, and just sweet enough, with the sandalwood and rose giving a hint of the woman she will some day become--some day far in the future. :P It goes in the "wear again, may buy" section of the squee box.

Imp: A mint tea bag after being steeped.

Wet: Thin, watery mint scent. A very clean "green" smell with a touch of floral sweetness.

Dry: This dries down to a sort of demure, softened version of Ultraviolet. It's very clean and pretty, the mint adds the perfect hint of herbal crispness, the sandalwood is soft and barely present, the florals twine over the entire scent, slightly dominated by the violet, but for the most part creating a soft, floral bouquet.

Throw: Not much. This is just a soft, clean personal scent.

Overall: A pretty and unusual scent for the spring and summer months. Clean and fresh and the mint cuts through the heat in a very lovely way.

Wet: A green herbal mint. Not a toothpastey mint, but a nice very herbal feeling scent - much more like an actual mint leaf than anything mint scented. I would say it does have a cut grass type feeling...but it doesn't smell like cut grass.

Dry: Rose. A faint (but high pitched) rose with a little something else that I can't put my finger on (another floral). But...anything with rose amps on me and I don't really care for rose.

Not much throw at all. I liked it wet, but the drydown really did nothing for me.

It starts out as a soapy floral (I like those well enough), with just a cool mint breeze running through it. The longer it stays on, the more minty it becomes. This would make a great shower gel :P.

Imp: minty

Wet: minty, then herbal, then floral as it dries.

Dry: Floral. Nice enough, but it's not me.