BPAL Madness!

Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood.

This is a bright, minty scent. Reminds me a bit of Lines Written, but more rosey/floral.

Very pretty! A lovely mint scent! VERY reminiscent of Lines Written but instead of woods, with fresh flowers. The rose doesn't go wonky or sour here.

The only bummer is that the lovely mint fades pretty fast and it's more of a soft, ozoney rose scent.

I personally like Lines Written better, but I think this is a gorgeous sweet icy mint blend, especially if you want one with a bouquet of soft florals!

I normally don't have any issues with minty oils, but for some reason this changes from light and airy mint into.... toothpaste or mint-flavored dental floss?

Off to the swaps for a better home.

Edited by Eucatastrophe

This was a frimp, so I had no idea of the description when I first sniffed it. Also, it shattered in transit and got all over, so that was why it was so STRONG.

Wet: very cold- is that mint? or pine? It does remind me of Lines Written about the Euganean Hills. The mint is almost as strong as toothpaste, but it never quite crosses the line. It's fresh smelling.

Dry: the florals are coming out more, and I'm not getting mint so much as mint-violet-floral. It's very pretty, but I don't like wearing mint. Maybe it would work as a room scent?

This is a very, very light scent. After about an hour this is minty rose. It's an okay scent, but nothing I'd ever reach for.

Rating 2 out of 5.

What a surprise! I was sure that her sister Vechernayaya would be my fave with the musk and all - but instead of a sneeze-fest like I got with her, Utrennyaya is a light, sweet, fresh and watery mix of something vaguely floral with sweet water and a dusty hint from the sandalwood. Fantastic :)

Ah, if only this stayed as minty as it was fresh out of the vial. It was a perfect mint, to me. Fresh, herbal, and really lovely. But it does die down, and rather quickly, into just a wet rose scent. It's still lovely, but has more floral from those others flowers I know nothing about, than I had hoped for reading over the notes. It is lovely, and if I passed someone wearing this (Because it has nice throw) I'd consider complementing. It's just a bit too bright and floral for me.

but if that mint had stayed... id really have loved it.

Bottlesniff Toothpaste, a very old tube of toothpaste that's had the cap left off it. More the old-fashioned flavour rather than the candy-like flavours we know now.

Wet on skin The mint gives way to a strong green rose and the two hold their own side by side. I don't dislike it, but it's just not interesting enough at this stage. White mint is a very astringent note that's like iced water . It's not green smelling at all, what I am smelling that's green is the stems of the rose. This is not a sweet rose either, it's quite thin, high and dry. But that mint is overpowering it again.

Drydown It's all menthol mint on me. The rose has lost it's blush and disappeared and I'm left with sugar-free fox mints.

Overall This is a glacial scent. If you don't amp mint or find it fades fast on you then it might be a good scent to try. The rose is a delicate one and you really want to be amping that and the sandalwood to get the best out of this scent. I didn't get anything of the other notes in this scent.

I find this one quite difficult to pick notes out of. Wet, it is kind of smells like jasmine, only fresher. Kind of like lily of the valley or daffodil. It dries to a soft powdery floral with a touch of mint (?). Quite pleasant, but I don't need more than the frimp.

At first, it's an airy minty floral, which quickly morphs into minty bitey roses. As it dries down, it almost exclusively becomes a creamy mint, almost like Tokyo Stomp on my skin, but a little heavier on the mint. This one is not for me.

Edited by ralenth

:wub2:

I've had a fleeting love affair with Utrennyaya because I always seem to go for the scents that don't have much throw or wearlength unfortunately and the first few times I tried this on it wasn't strong enough for me and turned rather soapy. But then one day I pulled the lonely little imp out of my box and put it on. Strangely enough I think I'm completely *addicted* to this scent.

Wet: Minty in a clean pepperminty way with soft florals underneath.

After it dries: Clean, slightly soapy lillies with an ethereal breeze of mint.

Definately bottle worthy because its refreshing, sweet and clean. The notes sound nothing like a perfume I would have picked for myself but I was frimped with this and just can't be without it now! I've used my whole imp which is unusual for such a short span of time. This is similar to how I thought Snow White would smell but that one turned kind of playdoughy and strange (the 04 version anyway). I can really see myself wearing this everyday!

Wet, this is MINT! As it dries, the mint tones down and soft florals come out to play, very pretty! By full drydown, its hardly minty, just very crisp fresh flowers. Pretty, but not for me.

Wet: Herbal and slightly minty.

Dry-down: Still a herbal, medicinal smell with an edge of mint, but there's something dirty smelling behind it. Its sort of musky and dust-like, and I don't know what to think of it. After a while it sweetens up and it smells a little like department store fragrance with an extra dose of mint, but I can't really get past the weird dust in the background. Dirty vegetables covered with flowers?

Dry: Herbs and mint and a bit of flowers. I think I smell the violet. No hint of osmanthus, but I think it's helping sweeten up the scent. The dirty dusty smell in the background is mostly gone now, so I can finally appreciate the scent. It smells a bit too perfumy, but the light and airy mint helps a lot. It does have somewhat of a "morning" kind of feeling, like waking up too early and watching the sky become brighter... Oh wait. Darn it! This reverts back to department store perfume. Washed off because it gave me a bad headache.

Minty minty. This smells like mint fresh from the garden. On drydown there is a hint of rose, but still mostly mint.

Sniffed: Mint with a touch of citrus.

On skin: Initially, light mint and lemon. I'm not familiar with the floral notes, so one of them must be giving it that citrus touch. This mint/citrus burns off quickly, leaving gentle, indistinct white flowers behind. Thankfully, the flowers remain grounded and mellowed, and the sandalwood lends it a woody dryness. All the Zorya blends have this light, airy, delicate feel about them, and Utrennyaya definitely captures the gentle golden radiance of the Morning Star. Colour impression is very pale lemon-yellow with a touch of green.

Verdict: While I love the starry theme and Beth's fine scent interpretation of the Morning Star, this sadly ends up very faint and not memorable.

I overlooked this for so long. I received it as a freebie and my initial impression was of unpleasantly strong, sharp mint and pink roses. I set it aside till today.

I don't know what has changed, but this is so much more complex and beautiful now. It smells of a minty breeze through pale flowers in sunset shades of lavender, pink, and pale blue.

There is a sparkling quality to Utrennyaya, it makes me wonder if there is a touch of white musk in it.

As the scent wears on it is deepened by a watery violet note.

White sandalwood is often a dry scent to my nose, but while there is a grounding pale sandalwood note, it is not dry.

This smell captures the feeling of Dawn on a Summer morning. It is ethereal and pretty.

In the bottle: a very strong mint, almost alcoholic, and sandalwood (plus maybe a hint of palmarosa?). it smells very cool, almost icy, which is mostly because of the mint, though possibly also has to do with the violet and delphinium. there's no juiciness of roses here, and while flowers are the primary listed ingredients, it's not very floral.

On my skin: the mint gets even stronger! it's a bit like mouthwash at this point. now the sweetness of the rose comes in, but is still overpowered by the mint. after this, it turns to a rotting sort of sandalwood which, as you can imagine, isn't pleasant. another bites the dust, at the mercy of my skin chemistry! I wiped it off at this point, because it didn't smell like anything could save that rotting/body odor smell.

Last thoughts: such promise in the description, such disappointment in the execution on my skin. if you like chilly mints and old sandalwood though, this is probably perfect. but don't be fooled by the juicy sweet sounding florals in the description!

What a strange scent..

Imp: Very minty (toothpaste) with a sweetly wooden (sandalwood) texture. Also very soapy and floral. Smells like a generic yet clean ladies' soap that is having an affair with, well, toothpaste. And gherkin*?

Wet: The flowers are more dominant now to my nose; mint retreats in the background. Still smells like my grandparents' bathroom though.

Dry: Menthol and mint. Sharp but sweet. Very floral as well. But still.. soap and toothpaste, sorry.

*I don't know what it is, but certain scents make me go "Gherkin?". I have had this before with Cool Water Woman. I cannot really make out what the parallels are..

in the imp this was extremely sharp, a touch sour...and familiar. but i couldn't place it.

on skin this morphed into a mismash of all my worst notes- rose, sharp white florals, and what i read as white musk but what i think now may have been the sandlewood. i'm not surprised on reading violet in the note list since this also bordered on skin sour.

and fuzzy red wallpaper.

this blend was exceptionally familiar but i couldn't place why, and i couldn't figure out why the mental association that i kept getting was fuzzy red wallpaper until it finally hit me as i was laying in bed that i reminded me of the bathroom of my parent's house when we moved in, circa 1990. prior to that point it had never occured to me that wallpaper came in fire engine red and fuzzy but it was this monstrousity of flocked red stripes and smooth white sections. my parents kept a bowl of rather dusty sad looking hand soaps in a bowl on the sink and the combination of staid floral hand soap and fuzzy red wallpaper strikes me as ridiculous in retrospect. fortunately both the

soap and the wallpaper are long gone.

It smells of a minty breeze through pale flowers in sunset shades of lavender, pink, and pale blue... This smell captures the feeling of Dawn on a Summer morning. It is ethereal and pretty.

This. I only wish it weren't so delicate that I can barely smell it at three hours post application.

Received this as a frimp and was afraid, very afraid of the listed rose note.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. On me, this is almost exactly like When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go, another cool minty floral, and a favorite. It's a light delicate scent, without a lot of throw or longevity, but it does pick me up and might be good to keep at work, for a minty lift when I'm starting to drag.

Utrennyaya imp

Wet/Bottle - light, floral and airy. Rose and White Sandalwood, mostly.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Rose, rose, and more rose.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Roooooooose

DAMN YOU, ROSE!

I received these both with an imp lot I bought on Ebay, but they are definitely different years as the mint is much stronger in one. I like mint already, but I am finding I quite like it as a note in a perfume, but the mint overwhelms a bit when wet while the florals are in the back. On the drydown the sandalwood comes through, this is really a nice summer floral, but it gets a bit powdery on me.

On the wand, an empty-smelling palmarosa on a background of other flowers. A tiny bit aquatic.

On my skin, totally different: a soft, spearminty white sandalwood. Mint dominates while wet; I don’t smell the flowers at all. Then, abruptly in drydown, something turns into sour funk on my skin. I think it’s one of the flowers.

Not a match for my chemistry.

I don't think I looked at the notes before I bought this imp. I was expecting it to be in the vein of the AG Zorya Utrennyaya, which I'm very fond of. Oops, no similarity whatsoever. This is a cool minty floral, rose forward at first, but the rose fades quickly on me, to be replaced with lots of violet and floral x which must be osmanthus and delphinium. I'm not getting a lot of sandalwood. Violet almost never works on me, nor mint, so this was unlikely to befriend my skin. Swaps!