BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Oneiroi

Created to invoke the ancient Greek deities of dreams. On the shores of the ocean, somewhere in the West, they dwell behind their gates of horn and ivory. Soporific, dark and unfathomable: a somnambular blend of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort.

In the bottle: Very floral. Jasmine and faint sandalwood. I only get a little lavender.
Wet on skin: A lot of jasmine. Something almost soapy about this.
Dry on skin: Oh, there's the lavender. The jasmine is really sticking around so far, very strong, powerful throw. White and floral.
Over time: There are a couple of notes that fade in and out, something citrusy that must be the bergamot, and now and then the sandalwood. The lavender isn't very strong on me, and the jasmine continues to overpower everything.
Overall: I don't hate this, but it's just not me. Jasmine is not my favorite scent, and Oneroi is mostly jasmine on my skin. It'll join the extra imp of Jabberwocky in the package for Mom. 2/5

[edit] Description added.

Oneiroi on my wrists and neck garnered me a lovely compliment. "You smell so good, what are you wearing? It's wonderful! It smells exactly like flowers!" I like it very much, too, although I've only worn it at bedtime.

Usually jasmine makes like The Old Soap Factory on my skin, but not with Oneiroi. It stays a pretty floral. My skin drinks the oil fairly quickly, though.

In the bottle: MMM lavender. And other stuff I think. But mostly lavender. Spicy and dark. Delicious.

On me: Still lavender, sort of soapy/musky, but that might very well be because I just had a shower. Tasty. Very tasty.

I went to bed right after putting this on, as I hoped it would help me sleep and/or give me vivid dreams. Unfortunately, neither seemed to be the case. It smelled utterly delicious, so I kept sniffing my wrists, and while it seemed to calm me a bit it didn’t help me go to sleep, and I didn’t sleep any more deeply than usual, nor do I remember my dreams. Ah well. I intend to try all the other sleep blends, so hopefully one will work for me.

Wow!

This is my favorite of the Somnus blends.

Something about the combination of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort is absolutely lovely and enchanting. It's a great everyday scent. Subtle, soft and calming as well.

The lavender is not overt and is tempered by the other components. My next big bottle!

In my top 10!

:P

Very soothing, pleasant, calming: I pick up the sandalwood and then the lavender, and not much else specifically. If I were going to scent my sheets with anything, it would be this. (Still thinking about the best way to do that.) Reminds me of Thanatos, but with a softer edge.

:D This was just not what I expected. The smoky scent overpowered everything else and just wouldn't let anything else through even after hours of wear. :P

ADDED June 30:

:D This one is OK, became sort of a light peppery smell on me after awhile. Not sure if that is the mugwort coming through. It is not something I would wear to bed for dreaming.

this was very herbaly & sharp in the imp, for me. as soon as i put it on, it warmed a bit and i immediately smelled the jasmine; my skin, i am learning, really amps the BPAL jasmine note! this is a wonderful thing, as i loooooove jasmine, but that jasmine does not loooooove me and will eventually turn a bit acrid/hairspray-like up close on my skin. :P

so; jasmine and an herbal, green bite! nice, but not really me, and the jasmine hating my face means dreamy oneiroi is fated for swaps. boo. :D

First Impression: Oily jasmine.

Dries down to: Improves slighly - doesn't seem as oily.

Additional Comments: I don't get lavender out of this one at all. Too bad, because I like lavender and jasmine is very hit-or-miss on me. Maybe if the lavender were detectable, I'd like this, but, as it is, I don't. I will try it as a sleep oil, though, to see if it works and, if it does, that may justify my keeping the imp.

Lasted: Barely an hour.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

I haven't been paying so much attention to the scent itself for the Somnium blends, as they're more ritual/practical oils for me. But from what I can tell, Oneiroi does seem to be some combination of lavender, jasmine, sandalwood, and some herbal/green notes. It's a lot like Somnus, but a bit sharper and greener, without quite that enveloping warmth of Somnus.

I normally tend to have strange, vivid dreams which I remember well, so it's hard to tell how much Oneiroi is influencing my dreams, either because it "works" or due to placebo effect. But I have definitely had a string of interesting dreams the nights I've worn it. They're also somewhat more...normal isn't the right word, but they're maybe more applicable to my daily life. They seem more like they're trying to help me work through problems than the little surrealist movie-show in my head that they usually are.

Hmm this one is dry and herbal. It is lavender at first with a bit of something darker, then it goes kind of powdery and soapy. I blame the jasmine. The jasmine is taking over and I can't really get past it.

Oneiroi doesn't have as much of a lavender scent as Somnus. I like the scent better.

Not sure if I want to wear it before bed again -- I had the most bizarre dream last night while wearing Oneiroi on my hands. In the dream, there was a huge BPAL convention at my house, and it turned out that Beth and Joss Whedon were really good friends, so it was also a half Buffy/Angel/Firefly convention. There were all sorts of vampires there and they were staying up all night being loud and boisterous when I wanted to go to bed. I was very irritated about the whole thing. I did win a Spike t-shirt in the raffle, though. :P

I'm really glad I got this as a frimp! I never would have thought to try it!

In the vial- It smells a lot like spices actually, some kind of incense. I really can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the bergamot and mugwort? I have no idea what they smell like.

On me- Ooooh lavender and Jasmine. I get strong memories from this. I worked in an antique shop during college, and it smelled a lot like this. I absolutely loved working there. (the shop!---> http://www.theparismarket.com/) So yes, happy memories. And then the jasmine... I grew up in Charleston, SC and there was jasmine everywhere. This reminds me of home.

A very comforting scent. I'll be needing a bottle of this one.

Whether or not it has any effect on my dreams, I've not yet been able to determine.

In the bottle: Hello Lavender! Pretty much all I get...goodness!

Wet: Lavender...and what I'm guessing is Jasmine.

Dry: Same mix but with a little spice to it (can't quite figure out what). It does go a bit soapy on me. I think this would be an excellent smell to go to sleep by...but really anything with lavender I would consider a good choice. However, I personally only use scents as perfume so I'll put this one in swaps.

I found Oneiroi to be a very strong Jasmine scent. Nice, but I wouldn't really associate the scent with sleep.

Oneiroi - Somnus is my sleep-oil of choice, but I picked up an imp of Oneiroi and decided to try it out in the hopes that it would help give me good dreams. Well, it doesn’t claim to invoke good dreams, just dreams. And wow, the first night I used it, I had really intense, vivid dreams, and they were incredibly bizarre, verging on the disturbing. The second time I used it, the dreams were less intense and less disturbing, but still very vivid. I’m wearing it again tonight and will see how it works tonight. As for being a sleep-aid, I actually prefer the scent much more than Somnus. The lavender is deep and sweet. I was instantly aware that this blend had jasmine in it, but my skin didn’t amp it up as it usually does. The jasmine remained soft and almost had the sweetness of wisteria or lilac. It was very surprising to find a blend with jasmine that smells so good on me. There is something slightly acrid in the blend, and I’m guessing that it may be the mugwort, but it doesn’t make it an unpleasant scent. It just adds depth to what could otherwise possibly be overly-floral-sweet. I like the scent and I find it much more soothing than Somnus, but if I don’t start having good dreams when wearing it, I’ll go back to using Somnus every night instead.

I received an imp of Oneiroi as a frimp in a swap with a lovely and generous forum member. I opened it up, took a sniff and pronounced it to be pure, holy jasmine. When I put it on my skin, it certainly smelled largely of jasmine, but not as overwhelmingly strong as many other jasmine blends. There was a fresh, herbal scent that probably came from the lavender, bergamot and mugwort. However, after about an hour, the jasmine pinned the herbs and sandalwood to the mat and began lumbering about like Andre the Giant or some other thuggish wrassler. It's just my body chemistry, and I wish jasmine didn't behave so badly on my skin, because lavender, bergamot and mugwort are all lovely herbal smells and I love sandalwood. While I have the jasmine problem, I could imagine that this scent would comfort one into dreamland, and also promote deep and clear breathing during sleep. I have a friend who is a jasmine-aholic, and tends be be an insomniac, so this frimp is being gifted to her, and I'm certain she will love it dearly.

In the vial: Lavender, jasmine, musk.

On me: Exactly how it is in the vial. Perhaps hte musk is slightly stronger, but the scent doesn't change much, which is good. As time goes on, it fades slightly, but not that much. This is an extremely relaxing scent.

Verdict: I ordered a 10ml of this. It's one of my absolute favorites. Not only does it smell wonderful, but I've had great results when I wear it to bed - it makes me sleep very well.

Rating: 5/5

Onieroi

In the imp: lots of lavender, and a hint of jasmine.

Wet on skin: the jasmine strengthens a bit now…

Dry on skin: this is a very pretty and very nocturnal scent-warm, fuzzy, heavy lavender with sultry jasmine, and a touch of something slightly herbal (the mugwort? I don't know what it smells like though). It reminds me of Twilight, but a little bit more soporific in feel, and hopefully in effect as well.

After a while: when the lavender fades, I'm left with a scent similar to the jasmine-sandalwood combination I loved in Peitho. This is a gorgeous deep jasmine anchored nicely by the wood-though this is much more herbal, and greener in feel, less like perfume, and more like an aromatherapy/working blend. And I feel the zzzz's coming on…

The morning after…yup, I had some very fucked up dreams. Including one about a freaky cinema that were covered with Egyptian hieroglyphics and where you had to wear a gas mask to experience the film (which was also a huge console game) in 'touch dimensions' which means it's 3d that you can feel. This was one of those dreams that I seem to be trapped in, even when I was aware that I was dreaming, I just wanted to see what happened next so I tried to stay asleep. Another part of the dream involved BPAL and Beth, though the details of that are fuzzy.

Verdict: scent wise, this is a very pleasant sleepy scent, lavender and a very nice jasmine-sandalwood background. it's a real night time scent, like the scent of a sultry summer night-almost like Peitho at times but not as nice as that. However, this is not something I'd wear as perfume…but as a sleep/dream inducing blend, whoa, it works. I had some weird dreams-and they were so strange yet so compelling that even when I was almost awake, I tried to make myself asleep to see what happened next in the dream-it worked for a while until the doorbell rung and that woke me up fully. These dreams were ones I got so lost in, even trapped in, even though I woke up in the middle of them and knew it wasn't real, the dream kept coming back. Pretty freaky stuff. I will keep this on hand whenever I feel the need to escape to somewhere truly far out when asleep…

Emoticon rating: :D :P

It smells mostly of jasmine to me, then lavender. I don't really get the other notes, which might come out after I've fallen asleep. I did sleep well, and long, with Oneiroi - more so than with the other Somnium blends I've tried so far.

In the imp: Oneiroi seemed to be mostly lavender and a note I wasn't familiar with - mugwort, I'd guess. It was herbal, which gave me hope.

On skin: still herbal for the first few minutes, and then it descended into slightly soapy floral hell. That would be the jasmine, which was all I could smell once it dried down. It had marvelous staying power, which wasn't ideal in this situation. Contrary to the purpose of the blend, it kept me up most of the night, even after I washed my wrist twice, and I didn't dream as far as I recall.

Clearly it works for some people, but not for me! If you have bad luck with floral notes, you might want to be wary.

Ja.

In the imp: baby powder and chemicals.

On me, wet: lots of weird chemicals, some sharp lavender and bergamot and baby powder.

On me, dry: I can smell the sandalwood under here but the bermot is making the jasmine-baby-powdery into a rank chemical ickiness on me. Erk.

Verdict: Not one I want to keep around, and not even slightly soporific to me. Yeech.

lavender, lavender, lavender! it reminds me of those milled soaps we used to have in our guest bathroom..you know, the pink ones shaped like seashells? I could see this turning into an air freshener type scent.....not my favorite association! I'll have to see what it does for my dreaming......

This blending of lavender, sandalwood and bergamot is astounding! Bergamot is wonderful as a bath gel ingredient and that is what I want to use Oneiroi for. This smells like a scent that would help me fall asleep easily. Must get a bottle of this!

Oneiroi

Another sleepy blend: slight less lavender-y than the others with a tuberose blend-creates very compelling scent!

Summary: I don’t know if Oneiroi will help you sleep, but I find myself oddly wanting more- Seductive, she is! :P