BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Oneiroi

Created to invoke the ancient Greek deities of dreams. On the shores of the ocean, somewhere in the West, they dwell behind their gates of horn and ivory. Soporific, dark and unfathomable: a somnambular blend of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort.

Put this on before bed last night a bit worried I would hate it and not be able to sleep, but this was great!
Floral and light woods, nothing i could quite put my finger on but I think I could pinpoint some lavander and jasmine. It blended together very nicely and I would love to have this in a sleep pillow.
Once I have some extra cash I'd like to get a bottle of this cause it was very light and relaxing.

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and my first try with a BPAL oil.

I got Oneiroi in a swap via the Lush forum and I think it smells a lot like their new Flying Fox shower gel, but a little more floral! It really is lovely and feminine. I hope I don't fall asleep wearing it :P

I wear this almost exclusively as a dreaming oil.

Intention is always important & that is particularly true of this oil.

Applying the blend does not knock you out: i.e. apply oil, head falls on the desk in front of you...no, no, no.

However, Oneriroi does lull me to a wonderfully restful sleep with the added benefit of sweet, healing dreams.

I won't be without it.

RHM

This fragrance makes me want to breathe deeply, and slowly, and let my body return to its natural rhythms.

If you're looking for a color association, this is deep, dark violetty blue. It's surprisingly lush and complex -- I was expecting a more streightforward lavender scent, but this is much, much deeper and richer.

The lavender is there, but it seems to be wrapped in a lush, jasminey spice. It smells like night air -- when you really stop to inhale it . . . deeply.

Absolutely stunning. I wear it to sleep at night, and it sends me off feeling fresh, clear-headed, relaxed, and even protected, somehow.

I can't say it's had any effect on my dreams -- rather, just deep, restful sleep.

This is divine :D I have been wearing this to bed every night since I bought this one. It smells like Lush's Flying Fox shower gel. Wow...an amazing combo of soft lavender and jasmine woven through with many other relaxing notes. I think I can detect maybe some sandalwood in here.

I put it on my wrists, inner arms, throat and temple every night and climb into bed and let the beauty of this one take me over...heady but in a soothing and comforting way :P I am glad I took a chance on a big bottle cause I certainly am using it!

This is a light, fragrant scent. There is only one note that stands out on me - the jasmine, one suspects. But the other notes must temper it because it doesn't bother me while I'm trying to sleep. It is just light and lilting.

I've been using it to help me sleep (the generous and wonderful SpinalDesign sent it to me for just that reason.) But it hasn't been helping me sleep. I haven't been sleeping any better at all.

However......

Going back and reading the scent description, I now realize it is used to invoke dreams. And holy moly, does it do that! I have been actively dreaming, moreso than in years and years - and not understanding why! Epiphany! Hello! I didn't think I could relate any sleep experiences with any of these oils, but I was wrong. This one is a mystery to me...

Now to try Baku and Somnus. I hope they have effect...

Oneiroi

I decided to try this one out, not based on any scent description but rather because I have chronic night terrors and was hoping that this might help.

First Impression

Astringent lavender, and something sweet. Jasmine. Herbal and floral all at once. I almost smell this as a shade of purple and blue -- it's very calming.

Wearing It

This reminds me a great deal of an herbal packet that I tied to one of my stuffed animals once (I'd named him Morpheus). I'd stuffed it with lavender from my own plant, and the lavender in this blend smells exactly like the real thing once it's applied to my skin (prior, I almost always get a whiff of it and it reminds me of aromatherapy lavender oils that give me headaches). The mugwort must be what's lending it that woodsy scent. Once it dries down, the scent is very pungent yet relaxing and manages to smell somewhat medicianl without smelling bad.

I was a bit worried that having this scent, which is very strong, so close to my nose would keep me awake. Turns out that it did no such thing. I fell asleep about as quickly as normal, and slept surprisingly well. I still had dreams, but no nightmares and nothing that woke me up with tears or tremors or heavy breathing. And when I finally did awaken, the dreams faded as quickly as they used to before I'd started having chronic night terrors. Nowadays, I'm really used to having vivid and disturbing recollections of dreams/nightmares, and being able to let this one fade away quickly was really nice.

After wearing this once, I went to bed last night without it and had horrible nightmares again. So I think I'm going to try using this as a sleep aid more often and seeing whether it can produce the same results regularly. So far, though, it's looking pretty good.

I tried this at bedtime (before reading these reviews - it seemed appropriate) but I think it would also be lovely in the summer…or when I am craving summer. It made me think of going to bed "by day" as a child on summer evenings when the windows are open and you are growing drowsy but peacefully assured of many days of vacation ahead. I loved how the lavender and jasmine blended. I had a harder time picking out the other notes. It is amazingly well-balanced.

This is a very lovely soft, sweet, deep flowery smell. I think it would make a wonderful linen spray...cozy and quiet. Smelling it makes me want to lay down and take a nap right now!

I really love lavender, especially with anything sleep-releated, but I've found that it's a terribly calming scent on me at any time. If I'm in an upset mood, I pull out the Oneiroi, and it really helps.

Oneiroi is absolutely fabulous. I've only worn it when I need to go to sleep, even though I really don't need help in that category. The jasmine and lavender are a match made in sleepy-time heaven. I haven't worn this outside of the apartment, as I worry I might fall asleep at work or in class (I'm a big sleepy head anyway). Thus I can't really comment on the lasting power, since I've been asleep for most of it. However, I've noted that it has lasted through the night, faintly, once or twice.

I second the suggestion that this would be an ideal linen spray, but I'd rather slather this on my skin then roll around in the bed to get the smell on the sheets!

-doreen

Dream Formula I: Oneiroi

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Ooh, lavender. There is a depth behind the lavender that adds a bit of mystery – I really like this.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The only change this makes is that it softens a bit. It really is a very beautiful blend, and I cannot wait to use it for its true purpose.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This finally begins to really dissipate around 4pm, but I still catch faint whiffs – so nice lasting power. I cannot wait to see what dreams I have tonight.

In my vial, Oneiroi smells like lavender with a few other greenish herbs tossed in.

As soon as it hits my skin, the lavender starts to soften and fade out, and a powdery scent starts coming to the forefront, which tends to herald the arrival of jasmine.

After about five minutes, it's turned into an herbal jasmine. It's a fairly light jasmine, rather than an intolerably heavy one, but it's not something that I would want to wear out as perfume.

I really don't know if this progresses any further on my skin, because I fell asleep fifteen minutes after putting it on. :P

Edited by Kaowolfie

I reallly wanted to like this one, and since I love sandalwood and lavender, I thought I would.

But on me, it's allll jasmine, very very strong jasmine, and I thought I smelled magnolia in there too. I didn't get a hint of lavender or sandalwood. My nose tingled and itched after sniffing it.. I'll try this one again in a few days, to see if my skin just needs to adjust to it.

This is really quite beautiful. The lavendar's natural astringency is softened by the surrounding florals and the blend's sweetness. This was a gift from the lab; I woudn't have ordered it on account of the white florals included, because heady florals and I aren't exactly a match made in heaven. This, however, is utterly lovely, and not at all the white floral I was afraid of. I primarily get lavender with maybe a touch of the white sandlewood-- not much jasmine, or even bergamot. I'm not familiar with mugwort, but I wonder whether it it what is sweetening the blend so much? I can't much comment on it's effects, as unless I'm on some stimulant, I sleep long and easily. I'll try to use it at night to see whether it brings me dreams-- I rarely remember mine.

Edited by with coffee spoons

Smelled rank on me the first time. It had a faint dying plant odor, like very stale lavender. Put it on today and it had a strong orchid/magnolia scent to it. Still felt like I was at the funeral of an older woman! :) It didn't give me any kind of connecting-with-the-gods dreams. In fact at night, much like Cairo, I couldn't smell it.

When this is wet, it smells strongly of medicinal lavendar. However on the drydown, it becomes very very cloyingly sweet. I can only assume that's from the jasmine since my skin tends to do that. I'm surprised the sandalwood didn't come out more since my skin usually loves that note, but I guess the jasmine trumped it in the end.

Sleepwise, I got a good night's worth of sleep with this. I do recall having dreams but can't seem to remember what they were.

In the bottle Oneroi smelled exactly like pure lavender essential oil.

Luckily I love lavender in all its incarnations, so I happily slathered it on.

On my skin it stayed very lavender, with not so much as a hint of anything else.

After about an hour it softened up, and the jasmine really came through- very cool and lovely.

After two the lavender all but disappeared, leaving Oneroi smelling exactly like a jasmine & gardenia solid perfume I once had (from Aromatherapy of Rome).

Though it morphs from one pronounced smell to another, I’d say this is a definite keeper, credit card …prepare to burn.

i really, really like this oil. it is what i wished all those lavender EO's i've tried would smell like. for some reason, lavender EO's have a bitter, sharp tang to them.

this is perfect. i think sandalwood softens and grounds just about any scent on me. so in oneriroi, the lavender comes through true and beautiful. during the winter days, i only think to wear it to bed (and i sleep great when i do) but i imagine as spring comes, i'll wear it more during the day.

this is going on my big bottle list. :P

Usually I find BPAL's lavender to be too sharp and herbal, but this is very lovely. I smell lavender mixed with jasmine. It's a very pretty, soothing scent.

I tried it last night to battle insomnia but it didn't work. (My husband, however, applied only a small amount on his chest and was out completely.) However, my parents are visiting and I'm slightly stressed, so I'll try it another time without the extenuating circumstances! :P

ETA: Tried it again and no sleepy. It's very relaxing, though, and a pretty scent.

oh yummy! The bergamot sweetens this softly and the lavender and other goodies just fill me with bliss.

My bedroom nowalways smells like one of four scents and I find them all equally wonderful: Jabberwockey when we are sickly, Somnus for tired but can't sleep days, Oneri for troubled worried days and The raven for hot sultry nights when I just want a good smell.

I am in heaven with each of them but Oneri seems to help ease my thoughts and I wake content instead of angry which I commonly do when troubled. I am SO content in our room, even when the rest of the house is in chaos, the bedroom is a tiny oasis of sanctuary :P

Oneiroi

Preconceived notions: Dream oil! (it was the only one when I first found BPAL)

In the vial: strong, herbally enhanced lavender (as in, lavender with a lot of herbs)

On me:

This is a very sharp lavender. But I love lavender, and I like the fact that this is a pungent herbal lavender rather than the fake stuff normally sold as “lavender”. This smells like what I’d imagine fields of lavender plants to smell like (though I’ve never smelled them before): very, earthy and green.

Over time, it softens, but it always remains very lavender and very herbal. Now, I’ll just have to see what my dreams are like!

Overall:

I’m going to keep it, though I’ll probably only use it for dreamwork.

at first: i think i'm only smelling lavender, which is good. however, the sandalwood sneeks in, too. i can't wait to try this out.

on: very strong. lots of lavender.

overall: this has really done a good job of helping me to remember my dreams. i ordered a 10ml of it.

today its raining and I've decided to try to catch up on reviews rather than do the work I should be doing.

So to begin: Oneiroi, which I put on last night.

In the bottle it was that very astringent lavender I don't like. Truthfully, I'm not a lavender fan except for sleeping or in the garden. On me it turns to soapy. I'd forgotten that I'd actually ordered this (rather than got it free) so at first I tossed it in the swap pile.

But tried it out last night after reading the reviews. On me the astringency fades fast, leaving a familiar soapy-oh-I'm-wearing-lavender scent. But that also goes quickly, and what comes up is a nice lemony scent--more lemony than I usually associate with bergamot, but there is nothing else that it could be, so that's what it must be. there's also a nice herbal green in the background, which must be the mugwort. I've only smelled mugwort in the garden, and then it has a kind of funky herb scent, so I'm glad this isn't pure mugwort. I don't smell the jasmine at all--odd.

This blends to a nice green, fresh scent which I wouldn't think of as sleep-inducing, but I did note my breath slowed and calmed as I smelled it.

I slept soundly and long, and had detailed dreams, but I usually do, so that may or may not be the oil.

In any case, I've decided to keep it, and it is quite lovely as a dream oil. I agree with everyone who said it would be nice as a linen spray, and I may actually use my imp as my first attempt at such a thing.....

I wanted to like you Oneiroi because you contain some of my favourite scents - lavender and sandalwood, namely. Alas, you smell like witch hazel on me and I had to wake up in the middle of the night and say "what the hell is that smell?" I am not very fond of you. Thank goodness you were a freebie :P

oneiroi.jpg

Lavendar and jasmine are all I can smell in this blend. Very pretty but not a perfume sort of smell, a ritual-type to my nose.

I wore this one last night and had high hopes for sweet dreams. I slept like a log and woke up 1 hour before I needed to and could not get back to sleep. I won't say that was Oneiroi's fault, but I can't say it helped keep me asleep.

I will probably use it as a bed sweetener: I take a cotton square and put a bit of lavendar on it when I make up the bed. The bed smells nice for the first night or two, until the lavendar dissipates. So, I think I will use Oneiroi for this until my imp runs out. Very nice blend overall.