BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Fallen

... The essence of overweening pride and unearthly angelic beauty. A regal scent, glowing darkly, elegant and patrician, but unfathomably desolate. Cherubic white sandalwood and golden musk with a dark halo of amber, a breath of imperial florals, unbending woods, and the shadow cast by vetiver and violet.

Got this as a frimp in my last order, and I like it alot!
At first the amber and the sandalwood are dominant, with a subtle floral note. After a few minutes, the sandalwood dims a bit and the violet note comes to the fore. I'm amazed because violet is one of my major dislikes, but here, it's fabulous!!
Lovely! Soft, warm, full, and sweet. When I want to wear a sweetie, it'll be this one!

Oh, I love this one.

In the imp and fresh on me, it's a very, very perfumey violety floral. Within seconds, the sandalwood jumps out. And then it mellows over time into a slightly musky scent. It's not dark on me--it's more dim, if that makes any sense. The florals and amber in the background keep it sweet, and the musk and something I assume is the vetiver keep it from being straight-up sandalwood. And at the risk of not making any sense, it's sort of a dry fuzzy smell.

When I smelled this in the imp, I didn't think it was going to be anything too special, sort of soft and a little bit flowery. I wasn't terribly impressed with it wet, not that I didn't like it, but nothing unusually great about it. After it dried and sort of sank in, I was left with the impression of a warm, soft floral with just the tiniest touch of clear violet shining through-pretty and quietly feminine. I'm not much of a floral person but its fullness and the sweetness of the amber redeemed this one. I've found violet to be scary and tissue-linty-purple on me, but in this formula it came through without overasserting itself or turning to old-lady funkiness. This is my favorite, so far of the 4 or five BPALs I've tried. I think it'd be a nice everyday/default scent, but was a little disappointed with its staying power. It was almost completely gone after just 3 hours.

Edited by kittysdesire

FALLEN

Fallen starts out as an amber floral with a touch of musk. It stays like that for a while before the sandalwood comes out to play. It is only after an hour or so that I can detect the vetiver and violets. Overall this has a sort of dark (vetiver) yet heavenly (resins, sandalwood which remind me of incense) mood to it.

Imp: Musk with an undertone of sandalwood. Warm without being sweet.

Wet: White musk and vetiver, but surrounded with wood. Remote without being austere. Love this.

Drydown: The musk is in the forefront - I am waiting for the woods to come back and for amber to show up. There's a high white floral note to this as well. Right now, expensive commercial perfume. Doesn't smell like Samael at all.

1 hour: Musky with a distinct powdery edge. On me, it's very much an expensive perfume for someone in her 60s (and I'm not quite there yet :P ) Also, it's making me sneeze!

3 hours: Muted musk.

Verdict: I'm not sure what happened here. Amber and sandalwood are reliable on me, but the musk and florals jumped all over them. Not for me.

In the Imp: I know this sounds screwed up, but it smells to me like someone tried to wipe up a vetiver spill with baby wipes. I really don't like it, but there have been plenty of times when something smells not so great in the imp, but smells good on me skin, so I went for it:

Wet: At first it's a YUCK! Then a little while later it starts to get more woody, more musky. Still not diggin it. It's very manly.

Dry: I start to be okay with it. It's gotten richer, sweeter. It's taken way to long to get to this point though. There's only a hint of the amber note.

Overall: This may be the very first Bpal that I can't stand. I'm dissapointed because I love a lot of the notes in this one. I guess the combination of them doesn't work. I may try it again as it ages, but for now, I'm keeping it far away.

1 out of 5.

I have on some of the oil from my old trusty Fallen imp right now, and it's lovely. It's a dark, hazy scent, with just the barest hint of florals. My only problem with this scent is that the amber seems too perfumey and then it goes to powder. That's not Fallen's fault, it's mine. My skin has trouble with some ambers.

I do like the scent, particularly when it's dry and it smells so golden and dark at the same time. Unfortunately there's that powder thing. :P

There's a fieryness to this scent, and also a bubble-gum like sweetness. It almost instantly fades to a soft woodsy scent.

in the imp: rose, indian jasmine

wet on skin: the jasmine becomes stronger.

dry down: the jasmine remains the top note, but softens.

in all: what i would consider a good summer evening fragrance- something to wear with a light cotton dress, taking a stroll after dinner and looking up at the periwinkle sky.

:P

In bottle/imp: Dark woods, violet, and plastic-y amber.

Immediately on skin: This has a very plastic overtone to it, but within the scent there is a mix of mostly deep wood notes and violet. There is also a light warm touch of sandalwood and a bit of amber, but the amber is quite plastic-y.

After a little while: Overall, this smells like plastic to me, but it’s probably the combination of the notes. It’s a slightly spiced cooler blend with a hint of wood notes and an undercurrent of violet. The amber gives it a slightly golden feel, and the musk just permeates the whole blend. The violet is what gives this the cooler feel, and it’s well balanced with the warmer and golden notes.

Overall Impressions: This smells like plastic on me, but I think it’s just the way my nose is interpreting the scent. It’s actually quite complex and well blended, and I’m sure it works on other people better than it seems to be on me.

amber, violet and musk.

it's gorgeous and i have to have me a bottle.

sweetness, woodsiness, florals and sandalwood.

so many things i love all combined into one.

i get a very purple feeling from this.

love it.

may need a full bottle of this one.

In imp: ooohhhhhh!!!! Wonderful. Creamy and sweetish. Main notes in imp white sandalwood and violet.

Wet: Addictive smell. Quite strong when wet. Good throw. Very soapy (I think this is the sandalwood, but I like this).

Dry: Doesn't have any of the woody notes or vertiver making an appearance on me, which can be a good thing as dry woody notes sometimes make perfumes a bit funky on my skin. Still really really strong sandalwood and violet smell - amazing! But there are other florals dancing around making this a gorgeous smell.

Verdict: My daughter smelt it and immediately said - "I want to eat it", I know what she means, even though its not a foodie smell at all. Totally addictive – I want a bottle NOW!!!

Marks out of 10: 20 (lol - but I love it so much!!!)

The amber is lovely but on me the musk, violet and vetiver are out of balance and overpowering. And I really dislike violet, so this one is off to swaps.

Wet: Sweet, musky, and dark

Dry: Still sweet and musky, but it takes on a slightly floral tone.

This scent lasted a really long time on me, and I think it suits me.

I think it would be good once the weather gets cold again.

8/10

Another Imp from Tartchef from her newbie pack!

Imp: Dark, heavy with slight "tang."

Wet on me: Violet & musk and floral. It is the

dark and teh sexay!

Drying Down: mmmmm Amber and violets and

hark! some Sandalwood!

Dry: A Florist's headshop of love! The Sandalwaood

has come out to play! This is amazing!

Throw: Awesome! Stay: fantastic

I had just started testing this at work when a co-worker came in to check out the bead samples I brought for some commissioned pieces. Everytime I moved my arm Fallen would waft everywhere and I just wanted to sit and swoon and inhale it's yummy goodness!

FTW! Gotta Get a bottle!

Initial thoughts: Name it after a devil of any description = I happily try no matter what. Name it after Lucifer = I pounce like crazy thing.

This... not sure what this is going to smell like. I think in my head I'm expecting a manly floral topnote similar to what I get from Wilde over a woody base like Dee. And now my mouth is watering because that sounds smexy good. I do amp vetiver, so I'm hoping it isn't going to dominate things too much.

In the imp: This is a sharp, biting sandalwooded floral. It's not initially unpleasant, but there's something in it which triggers many memories of similar scents all of which didn't work on my skin. I don't have much luck with this kind of thing.

On the wrist, wet: Again, sharp, perfumy florals. This smells very much like a traditional 'perfume' - very much like something my mother would wear, actually. The sandalwood is going right up my nose, ach.

Twenty minutes later: Hmmm... am I going to get attacked if I say this smells veeeery similar to Seraphim? :P It's heavier, more grounded by the woods and without the white-hot blinding washing powder scent from the wisteria, but otherwise very similar. Only a lot nicer. I can't quite figure out what's going on with this one. I can't actually make up my mind - it may have to go back in the box for another test.

Verdict: .... eh, I'll hang onto the imp and see what I think next time I wear it.

Tl;Dr: Regal cologne with sharp florals.

I was afraid of the vetiver, but on my skin Fallen is all yummy yummy musk with faint hints of violet. It was a bit strong when wet, but now that it's dried down my eyes roll back into my head a little bit everytime I sniff my wrist.

I love musk. I love musk a lot. I also adore amber and I'm getting the faintest hint of that beneath the musk. I'm so happy I can't detect the vetiver in this one (or maybe it's just not doing the normal nastiness with my skin). I can see myself using up this imp and getting a 5ml - but I'm testing so many scents atm that probably won't be for awhile.

I wonder if the DH will let me try this on him...

This is more floral and less sandalwood/musk/amber than I expected. The violet makes this a very rich, purple scent right out of the bottle. On me, as it dried, the sandalwood and musk came out more--the word "halo" was exactly right to describe how those scents acted. The amber was a bare whisper. This was lovely. Not something I'd wear every day, but very nice.

Musky amber violets, with the amber reigning supreme. A bit of sandalwood. This smells pretty generic on me--too bad because I love the description!

In The Bottle

Vetiver and wookds

On Application

Sandalwood and florals

Dry Down

All jasmine. Not for me.

Rating (0-5)

In the bottle, this smelled pleasantly of musky florals. On skin, it was immediately floral, then started souring. Briefly, it was an acceptable floral, but then soured strongly, like rotting flowers. I didn't get any sandalwood or other woodiness, and the only musk was in the bottle :P

Ended up wiping it off with alcohol, I don't do well with sour florals *cries for now being BPAL-less for the rest of the day*

In Vial: Strong perfume

Wet: Strong and aged. Smells like an older woman.

Dry: Still smells the same to me and is very strong.

I received this one as a freebie with a previous order. This is not one that I normally would not have thought twice about. I am SO glad I got this imp. It is elegant and sexy. Its like chanel, but better, more complete and sparkling. I have used every last drop of my imp and am waiting on my bottle to arrive. Probably my favorite thus far. :P Try this if you haven't already!

In the vial: Mostly ethereal violet.

Wet: Violet much stronger now, but it begins warming up almost immediately. Sharp tart florals.

Half an hour: Intensely true violet scent now, with a strong supporting blend of musk and something else (maybe sandalwood?). I like this, but it's completely different from what I expected. No vetiver, no other florals either.

One hour: Hardcore violet and sandalwood with musk. Something about this makes me slightly dizzy.

Two hours: Boy, that's the strongest violet note I've ever encountered in a BPAL fragrance. But a bit of musk and amber is finally beginning to poke through it, just a bit. I like this, even though I'm a little weird about violets.

Three hours: Wow! Still quite violet. But the musk and sandalwood are recognizable, and the amber is creeping up on the violet. Usually my skin amps amber incredibly, but the violet is really giving the amber a big fight for dominance.

Four hours: The violet is just now getting into what I consider to be a good balance with the amber. I think this is too strong for me to wear, but it certainly is interesting, so purely violet as it is.