BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Lion

The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

This one was a bit overwhelming at first - very cinnamon-y! But as it settled into my skin, the fierce spiciness died down a bit and the amber came out more, and I began to quite like it. When my wife sniffed it - after initially jumping back from the cinnamon overload - she said that it smelled like the colours of my lion tattoo (mostly red and gold), which seemed very appropriate (no, I'm not a Leo - it's part of a set of four elemental tattoos).

It seems pretty gender-neutral - our other partner said it smelled like something he could wear too. Not too spicy after the initial spice-onslaught fades down, and not too sweet - just kind of warm and gently firey, like banked coals, or the feeling of basking in the sun. Like Haunted, it seems to blend very nicely with my own skin-scent, and I can see myself getting to like this one a lot. I've already had it on three times since receiving it a few days ago.

The only down side is that it doesn't seem to have much staying power. The first time I tried it, after only about three hours it had faded down so much that I have to press my nose right against my wrist to smell it at all. But what there was of it was very nice. The second and third times I put on more, and it lasted a bit longer, but still not as long as I'd have liked - those two were the same day, because I had to reapply it halfway through.

Bottom line: I really like this, and it's definitely a keeper, but I think I'll end up using it up quickly because it fades out so fast. Might need a big bottle just because the imp's not going to last me long.

Mmmm, my first BPAL scent, won on eBay because I simply couldn't wait for my lab shipment to make it's way to Australia.

Aand, I love it. To repeat most reviewers, it's a very warm spicy amber. After obsessively sniffing my wrist all night, I finally placed one of the dominant notes as clove. I think that is what some posters have experienced as "herbal toothpaste"? In my case, it is softened somewhat, perhaps by the cinnamon or amber; ending up as a wonderful sexy scent. It's like feeling warm muscles stretching slowly in the sun, with no particular place to be.

I think I must be insane. That, or my chemistry twisted this into something it's not. Or both, which isn't completely out of the question. My skin never mutates amber, though, so I don't know what's up with this.

Yes, this is a lion resting on a rock, lifting his head in the cinnamon-scented, dry dusty grass... and then you notice, he's chewing on something... Juicy Fruit bubble gum. I kid you not, The Lion goes on my skin like Bubble Tape, a amber-y, bright and cacophonous pink fruity scent, even with that brush of powder they apply to keep the gum from sticking together. After letting it rest on my skin, it smells more akin to Juicy Fruit, still surprisingly sweet.

Longterm drydown? That Lion's still got his chewing gum. How odd.

There really isn't much to review on my skin.

In the bottle: amber

Wet: amber

Drydown: amber

Finally: amber overkill

In summation, amber. I like a little amber but this is just ridiculous on my skin, I get nothing else at all.

Oh, my.

I've been saying all along that Golden Priapus felt like a "power scent" to me. Now I know where the power is coming from -- it's the amber. This is almost pure amber, deep honey-golden and warm, and it's nearly an intimidation scent! It says, "I am someone Not To Be Messed With." For Diane Duane fans, this is the White Lion of Arlen, looking down over Freelorn's shoulder at the people wanting audience.

I wouldn't wear it to a job interview -- too strong -- but in other situations where you might feel that you're starting from a one-down position, I can see this being very useful for balancing the scales. It will work on the wearer as well as those around her; when you feel powerful, that reflects in your body language and others tend to react to it with respect. I will definitely be wearing it as my evening scent at Bouchercon, where I'll be mixing with Moneyed Persons.

This scent doesn't change much in wearing. The spices are just a well-balanced sweetening of the amber base; I don't get any particular identifiable note. Staying power is excellent -- I can put it on early in the morning and still notice it at dinnertime. A light application of it also layers very well with Queen of Sheba; this will probably be my first experiment with scenting a lotion, to be used for layering purposes. I see a 10ml of this in my future!

I'm trying to think of something to say about The Lion other than amber and cinnamon...but it is very straightforward on me, though in a good way!

This is more the amber that I get from Haunted, than the one I get from Aureus. It's a very sultry and inviting, skin-warmed amber. I can't generally wear anything with cinnamon in it so whatever the spice in this is, it's either a very mild cinnamon or it's something other pleasant spice that never goes into potpourri territory. It just makes the amber that much more warm, golden and inviting. If there is clove in this that could explain what is appealing to me because I love clove, even while cinnamon turns me off usually.

Another lovely Mad Tea Party scent! Now I think I've tried all of them!

I found this a very warm, golden scent, a bit like drinking very sweet tea with freshly baked scones - that kind of golden warmth. After about half an hour, the amber note starts to really come though. This is a scent for cold wet days.

Wonderful frimp from the lab. So happy, as this one has almost made it into my last two orders.

In the imp: I smell... nothing. Maybe this is because I had Snake Oil on at the time, or I'm congested, or because I'd been smelling other oils... but I couldn't smell it at all. Worrisome.

Fresh on: Oooh, there it is. It's... spices. And amber, I suppose, but it smells like desert grasses to me, and I definitely get the sense of the sun beated down on a golden plain. It smells very much like grass, but in a good way. It's hot air across a field grass, not hay that makes me sneeze grass.

Drying: Mm, spices. Is that cinnamon? Maybe. There's some... not clove or anise, but something else in there. It's yummy. Keeps this very golden. It's not how I always picture amber, which is a richer warmth. This is a wilder, sun-drenched warmth. Very lovely. It's rather close to my skin, but I didn't apply much, either.

This definitely isn't the Cowardly Lion, though. This is a regal, proud lion watching over his pride. So pretty, although I haven't decided on it yet. I think I'll age it a bit, but this is definitely something to wear when you want a strength to you.

ETA: I hadn't worn this since I wrote the review and decided to try it again. Holy wow. It's that TOM and this has turned to the most incredible creamy, sweet amber. Yummy. I wish everything smelled this good on me.

Edited by Xiabelle

Mmmm this one is gorgeous! It reminds me of my Aunt Lynne for some reason, she must wear something that smells similar. Becasue of that, this scent reminds me of family gatherings, and pool parties at my parents house.

I relaly love this scent purly for the comforting nostalgic feel.

It's not a scent that smells nice on MY skin, but it is THE perfect scent for amber fans.

It's a keeper :P

I smell this an think of... hayrides!

I used to have horses, and to me this smells like a bale of golden hay just opened. I love the idea of wearing a scent called "the Lion", it seemed like it must be such a regal scent... and it is!

It's a silky, slinking amber, pulsing with vigor and a wee bit of arrogance.

I really love it. There's an underlying sweetness in the drydown that's just beautiful.

This may be a big bottle for me.

I've been testing various fragrances with amber components, and have started to worry that amber may be one of those notes that I just can't wear in any significant quantity. It doesn't go to powder, it just seems...age-inappropriate on me, somehow. Like heavily rose-based scents, it seems far too mature for my skin chemistry (but sexier than rose...like, Catherine Deneuve mature).

But now I can revel in the ambery goodness that is The Lion. :P This smells tawny, sweet, sun-warmed, faintly spiced. Not quite predatory, this is a beast at rest, langurous in the heat.

There’s a rich cinnamon tang to this scent. It just cries out to be in sun warmed grass. Very golden, bright notes but not to loud or sharp. It’s like the best of a summer afternoon, the heat on the grass and ground, warm air moving in short breezes. Very regal, but indolent. This is wonderful.

amber normally loves me but this scent is just too thick and heady for my chemistry....has that "sour,pungent almost bitter" note that comes out and just destroys what should and is a beautiful aroma for some....soooooooo not for me....

First Impression: A lighter but spicier version of Snake Oil.

Dries down to: Light amber and sweet spices.

Additional Comments: This is quite lovely - it's faint on me but lasts quite a while, which is rare on my skin. I don't know if it's different enough from some of the other amber oils, i.e. Snake Oil, Dana O'Shee, to buy a bottle but I'll definitely enjoy the imp while it lasts.

Lasted: Most of the day.

Rating: 4 out of 5

A generous lab frimp that could have worked, since I love amber. But on me it is tht BPAL spice note that goes straight to raw cake batter and that's all I can smell. (Am I the only one this happens to with spice?) So this goes straight to swaps!

Edited by urraca

The lion is just heavenly! It is another scent that I have earmarked as just perfect on my skin.

Wet, the spices DO smell like spice cake batter, but very quickly this settles into a scent of skin soaked amber and stays sexy yet comforting and personal. It lasts all day but never really wafts any distance from my body, you MUST lean in to get a whiff.

This is a scent I have had people ask about in tight quarters, and they ask in awe :P

Not a one of the wonderland blends has gone wrong for me and I am sad I waited so long to try this one. Obviously there are some I like better than others but if I had to pick a bpal category of hits, this very well might be it!

In bottle: Sweet amber

Wet on Skin: VERY sweet amber, a hint of spice

Dry on Skin: the spices are coming out to play, and toning down the sweetness a bit. I'm seeing why other reviewers mentioned a "dry" feel to this scent.

Dry down: the spices went away again and the sweetness came back- leaving a dry, sweet smell.

Throw: medium

Conclusion: This might be a bit too strongly sweet for me. If only the spices hung around longer. This will go in my maybe pile, to be attempted again at a later date.

Another gorgeous one by the Lab - This is really nice, it is golden and musky and warm. I must have gotten the amber out of this as I can't get the cinnamon others have said came out on them. I really like this one which is good because I didn't expect to!

In the bottle I smelled warm amber. I think my skin must have just eaten the amber up though, because after I put it on, the smell of cinnamon got stronger and stronger--to the point that there was no amber discernible, just. . . Big Red Cinnamon chewing gum, I kid you not. This wasn't an offensive smell, it's just that I don't want to walk around smelling Big Red on my wrists. My amber search continues.

Anyone else think this is a lot like Sudha Segara? There's that same sweet, fresh, gingery sort of feel to it...clean and almost soapy. I detect a bit of cinnamon and amber but not nearly as much as everyone else seems to be getting.

In any case, I agree that this is a "golden," warm and sunny scent, uplifting and pleasant. Like sunshine in a bottle.

At first I get a lovely, wet cinnamon, not at all overpowering. Quickly goes to a beautiful, warmly spiced amber. Doesn't feel "sunny" to me really. More of a *African savannah at dusk or just after*...A bit on the dark side with a hint of smoke and incense(on me, anyway). There's something very lush & "skin muskiness" about this, as well. Ends up a bit light/hard to smell..No big, I'll just have to slather :P

Reminds me a bit of Bengal w/o Bengal's pepperiness.

Definitely "golden", definitely beautiful. Definitely bottle worthy.

Especially for a Leo. Like me :D

In the bottle - warm and spicy amber

Wet on me - something sharp that I can't place, citrus and honey

Dry on me - pure golden amber, very warm and comforting, but with a slightly musty background that just sits on the skin.

I got this for my daughter Alice who is a Leo, double whammy. She has to have the Lion. And of course I have to try it!

When I first smelled this the cinnamon was predominant. cinnamon with the amber stealthing along behind, and something else...

Once I was wearing it, the amber started pouncing closer, and the cinnamon developed a depth that was really nice. I am not fond of cinnamon candy, but this wasn't like that. It was very much like the cinnamon odor of Matsutake mushrooms, which smell unlike anything I have smelled since, til now. There is something musky about them. I was really enjoying the way the two rolled around in the grass, the spice adding a bite to the sweet, but after a while, maybe half an hour, amber won out, and cinnamon/matsutake slipped away with barely a trace.

Now, I love love love amber, especially in the summer when I am bronze and scantily clad. I would love to wear this during that season. It is soft, and yes, golden, and powdery sweet now and doesn't so much bethink me of dry warm hay as it does a warm barely moving breeze carrying that smell across the field to where I am stretched out in the heat of the day in my tent.

This is a very pervasive scent. If I was wearing more of it and it was baking off of my skin, it would throw a long ways. In the cool fall days it just doesn't have the impact, but it's very very nice.

And the cat connection. I have never smelled a lion really, but my housecats have lovely smelling fur. I will go sniff one right now to see if she is like this.

2 hours later and this has faded quite a bit, but it still there, and I expect I will be remembering it over the course of the day.

mmm, delicious amber. in the bottle it smells just like amber. i don't get cinnamon, maybe a hint of spice, though?

once i put it on, and it dries down a bit, it gets a bit spicier, but mostly i smell dry grass, summer heat, yellow sun, crackling leaves.. just.. mmmm. this scent is WARM. it stays that way and its lovely, and its just the same on my boyfriend. amazing.

i put dabs on the shoulders and wrists of my winter wool coat, and i don't think it matters how cold it is, i'll smell warm :P

it has a great throw on me - my boyfriend says when he wears it it fades fast, but on my coat it smelled strong for hours, even after leaving an italian restaurant.

i'm in love :D

Mmmm... it's pleasant to sniff... but a little too fluffy for me. Reminds me of kittens. Amber is barely noticable in this one for me, however I am detecting some sort of floral in this, and I'm not sure I like it. Something sweet, too. Nothing ferocious about this scent to me at all. The Lion should be called The Wet-Nosed Kitten. I do like the smell, but not as something to wear as a perfume.