BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Lion

The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

I bought this because I have two different friends I'm trying to enable with BPAL, and upon questioning them for their scent preferences, I discovered that they share a common love of amber single-notes. Well, of course BPAL no longer offers an amber single note, and since amber is often the base note in a fragrance, it's rarely what first hits the nose in a perfume. I decided to order either Bastet or the Lion, and after reading the reviews, decided they'd probably like the Lion best. Of course, I had to try some myself, right?

In the bottle: Sweet amber, with a very unexpected and delightful citrus note. I must remind myself that it is NOT okay to drink BPAL, no matter how delicious a fragrance smells. There is a faint cardamom/cinnamon spiciness, hiding in the background. Because of the name, I'm humorously reminded of a lion hiding in tall grass.

Wet, on skin: Soft, sweet cardamom, golden and beautiful. This mixes so well with the amber. It's a clingy, sexy, second-skin sort of scent, as I would expect an amber to be, but the spice keeps it interesting. What is causing that citrus note? Is it the amber? You know, I think it is. Mmm....this is so pretty.

Dry, on skin: Tea? I didn't expect to hit a tea note, but that sure smells like tea. Not just any tea mind you, but the best marsala chai — just a little sweet, just a little spicy, over a base of creamy black tea. My eyes just about roll back into my head every time I sniff my wrists. This is so gentle, beautiful, rich...words fail.

Conclusion: 5ml is not enough of this perfume. I need vats of this stuff. Beautiful!!

The Lion This goes on medicinal and not so pretty at first. As time goes on it does become pretty and warm. There's no mention of fruit but I think I smell some sweet apple. The spices are not very pronounced but I can mentally subtract the amber and sense them. Unfortunately this ends on that same not-so-pretty note, only lighter.

In bottle: Rich, warm amber. Cinnamon. This fragrance is quite evocative of summer. If warm yellow gold were made into a perfume, it would be this scent.

On me: Poo. It fades instantly on me like most of the other ambers. I can't smell a thing save for faint hints of cinnamon. I slather more on shamelessly. It's a sleepy fragrance. It's lazy. While great for relaxing, this fragrance would suck if you needed something to motivate you.

It is like snuggling your head into thick, rich golden fur.

The Lion, I love this blend! :D I did good decideing on a 10ml with this one. :D When first applied I get this cinnamony note like the others mentioned but I dont think that it is cinnamon, maybe cassia or something. This is a sweet dry creamy blend like Old Morocco but it does not smell like OM. This does make you think about a Lion, I can smell the note that is like tall grass and it is a golden scent. Another favorite definitly!! :P :D

Edited by Reinaluna

oh no oh no, another big bottle

this is feral regal gorgeous, dry grassy, hint of cinnamon, heavy on the amber omgwtbbq could go in top 5 scent :P

This is absolutely gorgeous. Exactly as Macha described. I am loving this. It is so warm, I feel like purring. The amber is lovely, not powdery and the cinnamon is just lightly behind it. Wow, I have a 5ml and want a 10ml. I want to be able to slather this one!

In bottle: Tea, it smells like tea… iced tea maybe.

On skin: Still smells like tea, I don’t like the smell of tea but this one isn’t upsetting me. Golden is the perfect description… I see a beautiful yellow gold coming from this scent. I like this… but I am not sure if it is me. I am a Leo and was hoping The Lion would work for me since I’m half feline… but the “tea” note really doesn’t jive with me. It is awfully pretty though.

After a few more minutes, the tea scent has warmed up a bit and I’m smelling more amber…

this smelled like spice to me - the cinnamon and clove were more prominent, with a little musk and resin backing it up, and a faint sharp green note, probably from the vetiver.

this is like a more complex three witches to me. the cinnamon is just a component instead of punching me in the face (not that there's anything wrong with that...) i like it, but i'll have to try it a few more times to get a better idea of what exactly i think of it.

edited to add:

the last few times i wore this, there was something a little weird about it. i don't know if it was a sour note, or the musk or what, but it just had a weird little twist to it that annoyed me. on the other hand, my boyfriend hates scents of any kind, pretty much, and he said i smelled nice when i was wearing this.

Edited by shadowsong

Initial Sniff: Cinnamon and golden amber and some sort of sweet grassiness.

Wearing: Oh my. My skin loves amber, and this is no exception. The cinnamon spiciness stays in the background while the amber dominates. As it dries, the sweet grass (or whatever it is!) comes out to play. This is a sun-drenched savannah with a playful breeze ruffling the lion's fluffly mane and the tall grasses.

Final Impressions: Oh, why did I not buy a 5ml of this? This reminds me a little bit of Sin, but much happier. I love it!

bottle: dry grasses and something warm

wet/dry: The grasses are there, but this dried quickly to scratchy play-doh. No tea, spices, or beautiful golden amber in it for me. It stayed a bit sharp, gave me a headache and I had to wash it off. Despite my efforts it continued to cling, as later in the evening my husband could still smell it and said it was nice...wish I could smell what he smelled!

Wow, I was expecting something much more rich and in-my-nose.

Out of the vial this is to die for! My boy said it smelled liked flowers :P like he always says. I said it smelled like yummy cinnamon.

Wet, this is really subtle. I get a tiny bit of cinnamon over the faintest hint of amber, over the faintest hint if skin. I'm straining to smell this.

As it dries, the cinnamon lays low a bit and a wheaty smell comes out as well as the amber. Mmm, it smells like wheat doh a bit. The Lion isn't as dry as I imagined it would be after detecting this wheat note. It's still warm, and a bit creamy.

This is much better than expected! Yay me!

Don't have much different to say than other folks, but here goes.....

In the vial: Amber! with a spicy/cinnamon edge. Loving it at this point!

Wearing: The hot spiciness disappears almost immediately and a grassy

smell takes it's place. It stays pretty equally balanced between amber and

grass on me the whole time.

It's a very mellow close-to-the-skin scent on me which I actually really like - I just

wish it had a little more to it. It's kind of just "fine" on me. Nothing to write home about.

If it stayed the way it did in the bottle it'd likely be a signature scent - bummer.

Oooh, The Lion is pepper at first on me, it really warms up and gets me all lazy, It brings to mind the smell of Haunted but with a spicy edge to it. I think this would be great to warm up by the fire or a walk in the rain. Its very beautiful, I'd like to try this on my man to see how it ill develop on him. Definatly warm and regal.

:P

This is a beautiful scent, and a great choice when you need something to lighten your mood.

I put it on this afternoon, and am feeling so content that I might just curl up on my couch and nap for a bit.

On me, it smells like sunshine and open fields. There's a hint of sun-warmed wood in there, and maybe a bit of orange. It's a very golden smell!

:P

Another amber scent to try out!

This didn't change much from wet through drydown. It is a very soft scent. I expected the amber to kind of pick up on the drydown, but it stays very soft and subtle. There is a spice note in here. I'm not quite convinced that it's cinnamon, but possibly cardamom. It also has something of an herbal sweetness to it.

Overall, it is quite a lovely scent, but it's a little too soft for me. I like scents that are deep, dark, and have a lot of throw. If this were a bit stronger, I'd be all over a 5ml. Like a lot, but not love.

lion.jpg

I swaped for an imp of The Lion which sounds good from the reviews. The imp arrives, I smell it and I am deeply and immediately in love. There is carnation, sweet grasses, tea, and amber which blend together seamlessly. There is only enough musk in it to let it last a bit (I think it is white musk which is beautifully used in this blend). It lolls on my wrist with: spiciness, gingery fur, sweet vernal grasses. It has some elements of Alice but is much more playful. It smells stronger on my skin than it does in a scent locket (this is one fragrance which I would recommend you not put in a scent locket, that's a new one). The Lion wants to snuggle up next to your flesh, it lasts a very long time on me and its drydown is as elegantly exciting as its Grand Entrance.

I recommend The Lion without reservation. It is superb.

I find that The Lion is a scent for cooler weather. In warm weather it can be too hot. At the first cooler days of autumn, I took out the Lion and it was the schnitz!

Edited by olympia301

Odd... I get zero cinnamon, and don't really detect amber either. On me, The Lion is a pleasant light grassy smell, with a whiff of tea. Maybe a little amber, come to think of it, but not the usual scent I associate with BPAL amber notes. Surprisingly understated for its name.

This is my first review. I have no real experience with scents, especially when it comes to identifying components (as far as I know, Sandalwood comes from shoes and Amber is a color). :D I'm aiming this review at the neophytes like myself whose descriptive vocabulary is severely limited, and who have no idea what it means when someone says "I detect a faint hint of vetiver." :P

In the bottle: Strong, warm spice with something faintly sweet, and even more faintly sour (not in a bad way).

On, wet: As above, with a slightly more pronounced sourness.

On, dry: Almost immediately the spiciness and sourness fade, sweetness is dominant. Still warm. In fact, that's what is really making an impression on me. The physical feeling this gives me is the same as when I wrap my hands around a cup of hot cocoa and breathe deep. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing in this reminiscent of chocolate, and the sweetness isn't a sugary sweet (more like the sweetness of a field of wildflowers and grasses in the middle of summer). What I'm trying to say is that it's somehow a relaxing warm sweetness. But oddly, I'm not sure I like it.

Later: The scent stays close, which is what I prefer. (Given the choice of enticing others to lean in, or forcing them to step back, I prefer the former.) In very little time after drydown it develops a powderiness which, if anything, enhances the sweetness. The very faint sour note comes back (again, not a bad thing), but the spiciness never does. The staying power is good (but scents always last on me -- usually longer than I want!). All in all, a relaxing and comfortable scent, but I'd be happier with it if it retained its spiciness. This scent doesn't suit my personality, but I would certainly recommend it for those who want a warm, earthy-sweet scent.

Mmmm, spices and amber. Heaven. This could have been made for me, I love it so much. The silky smoothness of the amber is offset perfectly by the heat of the spices - this is going to be one of my favorite fall scents.

I don't think that this is ferocious; it's too soft and lazy. It smells warm and comforting. However, the hay/oats/grass scent that I get from it isn't what I want in a perfume.

For an amber scent, I think that I'll stick with Blood Amber. It's similar, but not as dry as The Lion.

Oh, this is nice. Light spice and something like dry grass? It actually resembles Sudha Segara on me, but with that grassy note added. I agree that the spice might be carnation.

The Lion is warm, golden, and much lighter/more innocent that I expected, almost like this might be a lion cub rather than a big lion. I really like it.

ETA after reading other reviews: I think I get tea from this, too. Yum.

Edited by isyche

Oooh, gorgeousness! This amber lover is in smooth, warm, spicy heaven!

Wow, wow, wow. There is something in the spice that makes it smell rather masculine to my nose, but it is all the sexier for it. A really sensual, lazy, yet regal scent. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but it intensely reminds me of something- or more likely of someone. I know this scent. I know it by heart.

Anyway, with or without associated memories, The Lion is simply gorgeous. Another instant favourite. :P

In the bottle: A slighty fruity note, and dark smokey amber.

First on: Deep amber and incense

After a while: This stays the same and brings forth visions of ancient churches, hooded cloaks, and air filled with a smokey offering to whatever God/Goddess. A very mystical/spiritual scent.

The Lion - From the Oblation Caravan circular swap.

In the bottle: A bite of spice. Maybe cinnamon?

On me: Mmmm, spicy. This one smells quite amber-y. But not too strong - I'd have thought the Lion would be a little more ferocious.

Drydown: Well, this one basically disappeared on me. There's a tiny hint of warm amber left, but in ten minutes it's pretty much gone. Too bad, cause it started out with a bang. :P

Edited by scourgeotheseas