BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Dormouse

A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

Huh.

In the bottle: Hm. Smells sort of fruity-sweet, with a bit of a sharp green scent? It's a pretty, light scent, though I don't smell any tea.

Wet: ...and it smells like soap. Sort of like Dial soap.

Drydown: Now it smells like Dial soap, and a scent I remember from when I was house-shopping, which I later identified as newly-applied latex paint.

SO WEIRD.

First Impression: Very weak, green tea with lemon and maybe a touch of mint in it.

Dries down to: A very weak, watery green tea. Then, after about an hour, the peony peeks out.

Additional Comments: Although it's quite pretty and lasts a very long time, this one is way too weak for me. But, it would be a perfect "starter" scent for a young girl.

Lasted: At least 8 hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

In the bottle: freshly mowed lawn.

On skin initially: freshly mowed lawn.

After an hour: The floral finally appears, and it's rather strong. If this is peony, it smells an awful lot like "rose" to my uneducated nose. I finally decided this reminded me of a little old lady who'd just mowed her lawn. Swap pile, and I think I may need to start avoiding "herbal" blends because none of them have worked out for me.

Bottle (Imp): Smells pretty fresh and clean.

Just On: Quite fresh and clean, possibly flowery.

An hour or two later: Fresh and breezy, just a hint of nice dryer sheets.

Around 6 hours: Fresh and breezy, just a hint sweet.

12 hours: Last bits of fresh breeziness.

Overall: I really like this one. It's yummy.

After reading other reviews: Hmm, I didn't get fruit. Just flowers, a breeze, and freshness.

The Dormouse was definitely a pleasant surprise. I'm finding that I really like BPAL's tea scents.

First applied this smells like green tea spilled over lush green grass. I love the smell of fresh cut grass. :P Then a lovely smell of green apple came through (not that fake candy green apple smell - real tart green apples). The Dormouse reminds me of sitting under the shade of an apple tree in a gorgeous green field. No florals ever come out on me, it's just wonderful, light, and clean smelling.

I wish that this would last longer and that it had a bit more throw, but it's gorgeous and I'm still planning on buying a 10 ml of it.

This is relly pretty - I can smell the teas and the floral is perfectly mixing with the tea and herbs, but it's much too faint for me. I have to shove my nose against my wrist to smell a thing on me, I sort of just soak it up like a sponge.

This is very pretty and incredibly light.

The combination of tea and white flowers is wonderfully refreshing and slightly sweet, lacking those astringent-bitter or else soapy notes I sometimes get from scents that are trying too hard to be 'clean and fresh'.

The downside is that this is definately something you need to slather on. It's just too light otherwise.

Holy crap, LEMONNNNNN!!!!!

Wet- All I smell is lemon tea. Like a drop of tea on a lemon that's being shoved up my nose! lemonlemonlemonlemon.

:P

Dry- it's a little less harsh, but when I sniff, I still smell a lemon that refuses to negotiate with the other notes. Republic of LEMON.

I think it's my skin chemistry.

I thought this might be a signature scent, since I'm positively obsessed with tea, but the first time I tried The Dormouse I immediately washed it off. To me it smelled like pure, undiluted lemon-scented cleaner. I've since come to the conclusion that that was merely the reaction of my uneducated nose and an off day, and the second attempt was much more fortuitous.

In the bottle it does smell vaguely of lemons, but also of tea. There's also a very apparent floral note that I take is peony.

When it's on my skin it strikes me as intensely unpleasant for the first half hour or so. The lemony scent is too strong, and overpowers everything else. However, after this initial intensity, the lemon scent fades, and I am left with with a light, bright, tea and peony scent. The lemon scent also seems to tame down into something that smells more of herbs than cleaning solution, and the result is quite pleasant. The peony compliments the tea brilliantly, and the balance attained is startling considering the overwhelming beginnings. (I love the smell of tea more than anything else in the world, so the mere fact that I can smell tea more than anything else for the final five to six hours makes me a bit of a fan.)

The mood of the scent is light, energetic, and clean. It's a caffiene buzz in a garden.

Overall I'd give it a 3/5, though I can forsee days when no other scent would suit me.

I got this imp in a swap with lissamc. Thanks!

In the imp this smells like sharp green tea with other notes swirling about. I'm not so sure about this...

On my skin while wet this smells like it is going to turn into soap. After letting this dry this turns into a gorgeous fruity tea fragrance. This is so light and lovely! I'm not picking up any florals (at least I don't think I am) but it smells a bit like peaches or something. I love this! I made a co-worker sniff this (And she isn't big on perfumes) and she said, "i really do like that! Mmm!" I can't keep my wrist away from my nose. So this has become an instant favorite. I love you, Dormouse!

In the bottle: Tea and fruit. Yum. I tried this as His and Hers:

HIS:

Wet: Herbal teas, I think some earl grey, and some crisp clean fruit-pear?

Dry: Stays true to wet, but by 2 hours, mostly faded.

Overall: I really like this scent a lot, but it fades quickly. I think its one you'd have to reapply and slather. Which honestly is probably worth it since its so light, herbal, fresh and wonderful. But my hubby is not a re-apply sort of guy.

HERS:

Wet: Tea and peach. Actually, smells kinda like suave's kiwi shower gel--weird, but yum. Sweet and refreshing. Great tea scent and a hint of light floral in the back. God, I'm really loving this!

Drying: Starting to distinguish green tea and earl grey, I think? No longer like kiwi showergel.

Early drydown: Still sweet and slightly fruity. Also smelling like a luxuriously wonderful soap. Which in this context is a VERY good thing. It's so clean and fresh. Its like I opened my sealed tea canister and got hit in the face with the combos of green, herbal, fruit and black teas. I adore this scent. LOVE IT. Seems like its fading, though, so it just might be a "slather" on type scent for me, as well as for him.

Overall: Wears off to very faint in about 1.5 hours. However, it's still barely detectable at 5 hours--like it's become part of my skin--sweet and light and herbal. Hmmmm…wonder if I could put it in a lotion to bump up its staying power? I REALLY love this scent. I will consider a bottle, but it’s a shame the smell doesn't stay stronger for longer.

In the bottle:

Green and sweet. I never seem to be able to pick out tea notes, no matter how strong; I think my nose is broken in that regard. :P

Wet:

Mmm, this is so wonderfully green! I think I may have found the floral/green scent I've been searching for. Like Rosalind, it's very sweet and light, but the floral note is actually like real peonies, instead of the somewhat artificial, oversweet berries in Rosalind. There's a slight heady heaviness beneath it, which I guess is the tea doing its thing, not that I would be able to tell.

Drydown:

Alas, just like Rosalind, this lasts all of an hour on me. :D But it was wonderful while it did last, all green and fresh at first, drying down into that peony sweetness, and I honestly didn't put on very much because I wanted to hoard my half-full imp. I'm very tempted to get a bigger bottle, and either slather it or try it in a scent locket or my hair. I was just too pleased by the initial thirty minutes of this to give it up.

Edited by sophia_helix

Sniffing the imp of Dormouse, it smells like tea and flowers and I really like it! I picture English ladies drinking tea while chatting and doing needlework, in a Victorian drawing room. A big picture window opens on to the English gardens outside, and there is a big bouquet of peonies on a table near the window, a soft breeze lilting their scent across the room. :D

Wet on my wrist…eww…what happened?? This has turned very aquatic and green and smells like men’s sport deodorant. I am not getting peony or tea at all. Just something watery green. :D

Dry…well, it pretty much faded before I could smell it dry! Drat, I so wanted to love this one!! :P It was my English Grandmother, my Mother and I that I pictured in that drawing room. We are all “tea grannies”…none of us three ever had a cup of coffee. My Gran is gone now but her first words to me when I would visit were always “put on the kettle”! :D

If I thought it would smell the way it does in the imp, worn in a scent locket, or put in an oil burner, I would gladly use it up and maybe buy a bottle, but right now it looks as if it is going to the swap pile. *sigh*

In the vial: I've sniffed this a few times before today, and each time I didn't really like it all that much... but right now, it's smelling so nice! It's tea with a whole lot of lemon, and a soft, sweet flower in the background. Very light, airy, innocent, and playful.

Wet: Not much of a change at first. After a few moments, it goes a little bit soapy, and a little bit after that, powdery. One second it seems more sweet, the next second it seems more sour, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Dry: The wet lemon scent has dried out in a very pretty way, probably due to the dryness of the teas. The fight between sweet and sour has finally ended and sweet is the victor, but it's very subtle and shy. The powdery feel is still there, and I'm assuming this is due to the peony; it's actually very nice, unlike most scents that turn powdery on me.

An hour later: Very, very faint, which is very, very sad, because this turned out to be very, very nice. It's gotten sweeter, and that paired with the lemon and tea makes The Dormouse reminiscent of Dorian, though without any of the sexual undertones. It's Dorian's older, more mature, modest and prudent brother.

Overall: Anything that resembles Dorian is fabulous, so I obviously love The Dormouse! I'll have to slather it on the next time to keep the scent going strong, though.

This is a very herbal scent. Out of the bottle, it sort of reminds me of The Apothecary.

As it dries, this one turns a bit more sweet smelling. I'm definilty getting the granny apple scent others have described. GREEN is the first color that comes to mind when I smell this.

I didn't think I'd like this when I first smelled it out of the bottle, but it works very well with my skin and smells absolutly gorgeous. This is one of my boyfriends favorite scents on me.

Wow. I need a 10ml of this. :P

In the imp: Damn, that's sharp and green. Green, green, green.

Wet on skin: There's some lemon coming out, I'm not sure what. But it's beginning to smell like that Elizabeth Arden Green Tea lotion I had when I was in my first year of college.

Drydown: The scent still remains, and it smells wonderful. Light, fresh and herbal. It's going to be hard to decide between this and Embalming Fluid.

in the bottle: The color is clear. I get a sweet citrusy scent right up, kind of like orange peel. There is also a kind of candy thing going on, like lemon sours that people like to leave in candy jars at work. It smells green and leafy and luscious. I'm sure that Mrs. Frisby would approve.

wet: The candy smell becomes a lot stronger, with a kind of sugary greenness that is rather pleasing. I feel that this is an unobjectionable scent. Despite my descriptions, there is something indoors and stuffy about the scent... it wants to be about being outside, but instead is trapped underneath the lee stone in Farmer Fitzgibbon's gardens, yearning to be free. False citrus, too sweet to be real... it's the scent of being cooped up and yet trying to make the best of it. A pale shade of summer.

dry: Fussy. A more floral note comes out... probably the peony. I don't get any sense that this smells like tea at all.

verdict: in the bottle it's nice, clean and inviting, but on me it turns into a candle shop. No.

Bottle

The scent is airy and lacey. Rising up, I pick up the elegant peony immediately. This is what my dream garden would smell like in the evening breeze: herbs and peonies.

Wet

The peony is the strongest note, but that could be perhaps since it works very well with my skin and I am heavily biased towards it. There is a delicate astringency from the herbs and it works very well with the peony. The lightness of the herbs and peony is equivalent to when I stand outside by my herbs during a rain shower and the air is filled with a dizzying, heavenly aroma. The tea is gentle upon my skin, barely noticible unless I take a deep breath.

Dry

As the oil mellows, the herbal tea scent dominates over the peony. I wish the peony would come back, but this remains a gorgeous scent. The impression I have is bridal. If my favorite perfume did not exsist, I would have worn something like this.

This is a very pretty scent. It reminds me very much of Dirty, and like Dirty it has amazing throw and lasting power for something that is essentially such a light fragrance. The teas also make me think of Severin. The peony adds sweetness. A lovely hot summer day scent.

This was too green and floral for me at first - it was like freshly cut flowers. As it calmed down though it is quite nice- I can smell the teas coming through but I don't love it enough to buy a bottle - A swapsie methinks!!

I love peony and this scent is just what I imagined.

A soft and nice floral perfume, quite true to the description: peony over tea.

Lovely! :P

Edited by quimerula

The Dormouse met my hopes & is one of my favorites. Leafy, herby & a little floral. Nice, happy, clean! It has most of the elements I look for when shopping for scents. Not much else I can add: Lovely!

i love this little mouse. hes tiny, adorable and sweet.

at first hes so crisp, like green apples and with just a little time hes jumped in a cup of tea and then hes running around on a table with teacups beyond teacups full of yummy tea and decorated with beautiful pink peonies.

i hafta slather this little darling on me... it either wafts away or i just think its so delish that i always want more. ive purchased a 5ml and hope my imp lasts till then. its wonderful enough that needing to slather it is not a deterrent and that i must investigate all scents containing tea. this will be good in any season but is especially good when you want something pleasant, slightly yummy and yet light.

When first applied this smells like green flowers, springtime and is very "perfumey". It's sweet and light- lily? peach? berries? It also reminds me of green grass. This dries down to a soft floral. Interesting. Very lovely but fades after about 4 hours on me. I'll probably swap this one.