BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Eros

Santa Eularia Des Riu

Piquant citrus tempered by jasmine, soft Mediterranean herbs, lavender and orange blossom.

Other than lavender, these are all notes that don't work on my skin for the most part. But I love the wanderlust collection, so I am going for it anyway!

Wet: It actually smells really good in the imp - fresh and lemony, really zingy. Then on my skin the bitter orange blossom comes out and stomps around, and jasmine adds a faint hint of feces. Awesome.

Dry: Not good. I don't need to get into the details. I knew from the beginning this was not meant for me, and I was right, but I wanted to try it, so here we are.

Stamen and stem (the green woody smell of a sunflower stem, you know what I mean) in the bottle and on application. The Lab's jasmine note absolutely hates me.

To my surprise, these soon fade, and there's a wee weak bit of orange blossom struggling to emerge. Then the whole thing turns to soap. Off to swaps.

On my skin this is aaaall citrus dishwasher cleaner while in the imp it's a little more ...velvety, and fuzzy. Bleh, not good on me at all. :P

All I get is very zingy citrus and orange blossom. It's a little too sharp on me to love, unfortunately.

Imp: Herb-y
Wet on Me: getting rosemary and organo
Drying Down: the oregano is starting to settle down and let the other notes come out to play. Starting to get faint traces of the floral notes.
Dry: soap. Herbal Soap.

Santa Eularia opens on me with a loud, piercing citrus and jasmine mix. The citrus part is lovely: a fleshy, incredibly juicy lemon-grapefruit blend (I think). This is light-colored, pulpy citrus juice spraying about and running down your arm when you take a bite, no matter how careful you tried to be. But the jasmine paired with it is a shrill sort. I get a sprinkling of herb smells with these: lavender, thyme, and oregano, at least, I think.

After a bit, the jasmine quiets down behind the citrus. This is really a glimmering citrus scent, fresh fruit placed center stage. The herbs make it feel special, like a kitchen of conscientious cooking and personal touches.

I like it. I didn't expect to.

Wet: Lavender and astringent citrus, oh my gosh. Definitely feels heavy on the cleaning supplies for me.

Dry: I think the jasmine is slowly peeking out, maybe a bit of sage, but to my nose the lavender is still overpowering pretty much everything else. It's a neat fragrance, I can see this being perfect for someone. There is not enough warmth for me here, but could be great for someone who enjoys "clean" smells.

In the imp, this is a very strong citrus with lavender.

Wet, it's lemon-citrus and lavender with a herbal undertone. There's the faintest hint of jasmine, which is usually a death note on me. Somewhat headache inducing but I decided to power through it instead of washing it off.

When dry, lemon is still the primary note. Lavender and the other herbs are still there. Jasmine is mostly gone other than the faintest whiff every so often - and it smells like real jasmine, not cat pee. Thank goodness. I'm not getting a whole lot of orange blossom unless that's part of the lemony-citrus smell.

This oil definitely smells like a sharp, herbal soap, but it's nicer than I was expecting. Medium throw but doesn't last very long. I'll enjoy my imp over the summer but won't be getting a bottle in case the jasmine gets stronger with age.

In the imp: LEMON LIME

Wet on my skin: This goes on similar to the zingy lime-floral of Whitechapel.

Dry: I was hoping the citrus in this would be lime/lemon (which often work) and not orange/mandarin/grapefruit (which usually do not). Thankfully, it's zingy, bright lemon-lime similar to that in Whitechapel, and the orange blossom isn't quite "there" enough to send it into cleaning fluid territory - it does threaten it, early in the drydown, but gets over it pretty quickly. This is a bright citrus with soft springlike florals underneath, with a "clean" feel from the lavender. It's a slightly less unisex cousin of Whitechapel, with soft jasmine rather than lilac and lavender as the "clean" note rather than white musk. Pretty! I won't need a bottle since I own one of its cousin, but will certainly keep the imp.

Santa Eularia Des Riu is mostly a herbal citrus to me. Really didn't get much florals from it at all. Definitely a very clean smelling scent though.

Ultimately not my thing, and ended up rehoming my imp of it.

In the imp: Orange, lavender, eucalyptus (I do get a Vicks Vapor Rub vibe from this), and possibly some ginger (there’s some warmth in the background).

Wet: I’m getting orange, lavender, eucalyptus, what I still think may be ginger, orange blossom, and something green. Then it quickly changes to lemon (I’m thinking lemongrass), ginger, lavender, orange blossom, and jasmine. As it dries, the eucalyptus reasserts itself, and I think the green note may be rosemary.

Dry: This is mostly an herbal citrus, lavender, and orange blossom scent on me backed by a soft jasmine. It’s cool, citrus-y, herbal, and floral.

Verdict: I was curious about this one because of the citrus and the lavender, but I vastly prefer Cheshire Cat for a citrus + lavender combo. The orange blossom makes this a bit sharp, and some of the herbs in this aren’t really my cup of tea. Not bad, but not something I’d reach for.

Sign in to follow this