BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Lolita

Bright, sweet and youthful, but swelling with a poisonous sexuality. Glittering heliotrope, honeysuckle, orange blossom and lemon verbena.

Lolita didn't agree with me. In the imp, it was a very harsh, almost sour scent. Just after application it was still too harsh for me to pin down any notes. After drydown, though, it finally softened into a strong floral scent. A couple hours after application, I got a wiff of something a bit more tart (the orange blossom?), which was when I liked it the most. Soon after that, the scent was gone.

Hmm... Well I think OMFG covers it! I adore this scent. Wow! I had been looking forward to testing it and it fulfilled all my expectations and more.

Wet: Floral powder? Definitely not what I was expecting.

Drydown: Ah, that's MUCH better. Honeysuckle and red lollipops. Yep this is Lolita. Mmm...

It took a couple of minutes for it to come out but once the "true" scent did, it was great. It also has really good lasting power. I put this one on a couple of hours before I went to bed and I could still smell it pretty well when I woke up in the morning. The only perfume I've found that lasts that long on me is Snake Oil.

I got a 5ml and the 5ml smelled slightly different than the imp. Not bad different but not good different either, just different. It was a little sharper and more orange than the imp. I still love it but this was my first experience with a bottle differing like that from the imp.

Edited by silver_springs

Lolita is, without a doubt, my favorite novel of all time. So... I am going to be heartbroken if I don't like this one. And I'm worried, because I'm not a fan of florals and orange blossom often turns on my skin... so it's looking bad already. I'm also worried that I'm going to be picky and feel that this doesn't represent the character well.

Enough of my anxiety.

First on, this fragrance is amazingly bubbly. It has that carbonated scent like cola, but with something sweet and vanilla-ish mingling with it. It smells like a coca cola and vanilla ice cream float. I'm pleased that this isn't really floral on me at all. It's a soft, glittering perfume. The lemon verbena is definitely here, but it's blending so well with that vanilla scent.

This is a definite 10 ml purchase. I don't think that there's really anything grown up about this one. For me, this is Lolita right after Humbert picked her up from camp... when she was toying with grownup fantasies, but hadn't yet been jaded by them.

In the bottle, the first thing I got was 'clean linen', which isn't even on the ingredient list! But it seemed like a very light and clean scent, and not fruity at all.

Once on, though, it went /terribly/ soapy. I'm not quite sure what the culprit is, but honestly, it reminds me of lemon dish soap more than anything, and while Dawn is a nice enough smell, it's not what I'd call perfume. I'm afraid this is one for the swap box.

A very sweet blend. In the imp it smells like lollipops and candy, which is okay. I'm into foody smells, but this is a little too light for me. On me, the honeysuckle takes over. Which is not okay. I'm not into florals. :P

It does go a bit dish-soapy on me. But honestly, Lolita is a very pretty, girly scent that I just happen not to get along with.

I hated this in the imp - It had that Green smell that I can't stand but once I had put it on and left it for 5 mins its gorgeous. Its such a fun and sweet (but without being foody/sickly) scent. It lasted quite long as well which is good! In fact I only reapplied it at lunch because I wanted to smell it more because its so yummy!

Very sweet and heavy, the heliotrope really stands out in this. I get honeysuckle and heliotrope, and no lemon verbena, or orange blossom. A nice scent, but sticky sweet and not for me. Heliotrope can go either way for me, and here it is too much. I swapped it away to a hopefully better home :P

Fresh and green, with the sweet orange blossom taking the lead. This is a very soft scent, and actually reminds me of tissues. The scented kind. Not unpleasant, but not something I would choose to wear.

My first post! Hooray!

Anyway...

I was very excited to try Lolita and had high hopes for it after I smelled it in the imp.

Right after I put it on it gave off a sharp green smell and I thought, "hmm.... this is not what I expected..."

After a little bit it mellowed out and became a warm clean sunnyish floral scent, I liked it, but didn't really think it would be worth a bottle. I think I've changed my mind however because- it lasts for freaking ever!

I put Lolita on at 9:00 this morning and now, a little after 9:00pm I can still faintly smell it on my wrist. Amazing- especially since scents as a rule have never lasted long on me.

I've read the other reviews and it always stayed nice on me. No powdery weirdness or bubblegum scents from Lolita with me, just consistent lovliness.

Thus endeth the post.

:P

All I smell is neroli -- I don't smell any sweetness or anything remotely like the description. Just strong, strong neroli. *is sad, because I love orange blossom, but despise neroli*

I love the book Lolita. I had a bit of an obsession with it in high school, which turned into my current obsession with Nabokov in general. I couldn't wait to try this scent. I was so, so disappointed - no smelling like Lolita for me.

In the vial: WOOSH. Something in here really, really doesn't like me. I don't know what it is - the only listed ingredient I'm unfamiliar with is heliotrope. I'm going to try it anyway.

Wet: It smells...perfumey and harsh. It's okay, I suppose.

Dry: Now I'm mostly just getting orange blossom, which I like, but which gives me headaches sometimes. It's faint, like orange blossom water, and kind of harsh still.

Verdict: :P I'm sad. I really wanted to like this, but I just can't. It seems very un-Lo-like to me.

Edited by Ophelian Pheline

Lolita

Sharp, sharp floral with a powdery undertone. I think it is the orange blossom here that is the culprit for the sharpness. As it dries, it gets a bit more powdery and a little less sharp.

If Lolita had a taste to accompany its scent, it would be Lemonheads (cute sort of lemon-shaped/spherical candies that have a sweet yellow candy coating on the outside with a white sourish inside... and they're made with lemon juice (I believe)). Oh wait... this also smells like aaaaah! something else foody and lemony, but the words are on the tip of my tongue (don't you hate that?). Anyway, all I get is lemon/sweet from Lolita.

Ack! Painfully sweet with a lingering, obnoxious lemon verbena note. Nothing sensual about this to me. This doesn't ring of Lolita... more like Tammy Faye Baker. Saccharine overload!

At first, I didn't think I'd like this because orange rarely works on me. However, I found myself really loving this perfume. It's a sweet, heady citrus-y floral scent. It's like lollipops over floral perfume, if that makes sense. The orange blossom and honeysuckle are the dominating notes, with lemon verbena and neroli balancing the scent out underneath. Perfect for Lolita - it's sexiness and flirtatiousness and innocence all at once.

Edited by Scarlettfish

In the imp: Quite sharp--I didn't get any of the sweetness that other people described. The "citrus" notes of orange blossom and lemon verbena stand out the most to me. However, there is something intriguing about it.

Wet: The lemon verbena immediately jumps to the forefront. I can't smell the honeysuckle--which I love so very desperately in New Orleans--or the heliotrope at all. Right now, this is reminding me of Belle Epoque, even though that scent features mandarin, not lemon.

Dry-down and wear: This gets much, much softer, and more difficult to detect on my skin. It has gone through a few stages of dry-down. For a short while, it smelled a bit like Mr. Clean, but then it entered its longest stage, which is soft, clean and innocent (embarassingly, I have never read Lolita, even though Glory is one of my favorite novels)--it seems fitting. This is not a bottle scent, but I think I will use up the imp, which would not have been my guess when I first smelled the oil.

I just had to order this since I am a huge fan of the book.

In the bottle: sweetness, lemon and something deeper. Musk?

Wet: Sweet floral with musky undertones. Lots of throw.

Dry: Sweet light musk. Reminds me of the perfume that I wore when I was Lolita's age.

This is a great scent for someone feeling girly and naughty :P .

In the bottle: Lemon verbena all the way. I can detect something else lurking, but I can't tell what it is with all this verbena in the way.

On my skin: Lemon verbena with the tiniest hint of the other florals.

Later on: Some sort of florals hiding in the scent, but it's mostly just lemon verbena on me.

I loved the sharp lemon smell in the bottle and wet, but Lolita turned too sweet on my skin. :P

Edited by icemoca

In the bottle: Why hello, lemon verbena. Nice to meet you, orange blossom.

Wet: Sharp lemon with a light orange

Drydown: Lemon Pledge. Initial disappointment.

With further drydown, it turns into...what is that? Spicy Juicy Fruit? Nope, Lemon Pledge. I refuse to accept these results! (Lolita is my favorite book.)

I shook the imp and reapplied it. Much better results. Now it's sweet and spicy. There's the honeysuckle! It's not my usual kind of scent but I like it.

Would I buy it in a bottle?: Possibly. I'd like to try mixing it with Demeter Honeysuckle first.

In the imp, this smells like sweet orange candy and a mixed bouquet of flowers. On, it goes even sweeter yet sharp. With dry down, it has turned to two separate scents - one on each wrist. My right wrist has a deep, round yet sweet floral fragrance; I smell the heliotrope and the honeysuckle primarily. My left wrist, however, smells like orange sweet tarts. No, I don't pretend to understand. :P

I have to say, this is the perfect blend for lemon Froot-Loops :P

That said, I must consign it to the swap pile, for I do not want to smell like breakfast cereal - unless if it's Cinnamon Toast Crunch :D

at first: all i smell orange blossom, which is not a good sign.

on: orange blossom and a hint of lemon verbena. i don't think i'll like this.

half an hour later: the honeysuckle is coming out more now. it's much sweeter.

1.5 hours later: much, much lighter. mostly orange blossom.

2 hours later: lighter and a bit sweet. i can't pick out any notes.

overall: i just didn't like this one on me very much.

Wet, it was sharp, almost herbal. Dry, heliotrope Is the strongest note (yay!). Beyond the powdery sweetness of the heliotrope and honeysuckle, there is a delicate fruitiness - like strawberries ripening in the sun. Bright! Sadly, the scent is so very faint, that the brightness is rather lost unless I am totally nose-to-wrist. How I wish this were stronger because it really smells delightful!