BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

This is my first review of the very first BPAL blend that I've tried.

When I opened the imp and sniffed it hit my nose as BUTTER, hot, sticky, and sweet melted butter. Then as I exhaled it turned to screaming ALMOND (And I thought Garden Botanika's Almond Creme was potent). But since I like both Amaretto and Butterscotch schnapps(both the butter and almond had a sweet, alcoholy twinge to them), I daringly swiped some on my wrist.

For one second cherry sang through the air, then I guess I have the weirdest skin chemistry ever, it immediately went LEMON(now I know what people are talking about when they say notes scream at them). Sweet lemon drops. Over the course of about 15 minutes the lemon slowly receded and became very smoky, almost as if it were dried lemons next to a fireplace with some herbs and flowers drying nearby. Smoky lemons doesn't sound good, but it does smell good (to me). The honey has come through a bit, the aspect of honey that remembers it came from flowers, rather than syrup, and lightens the smokiness/spiciness.

The spiciness continues to mellow, becoming more hint of almond-in-baked goods kinda-way-with-honey-drizzled-on-top. Sometimes when I move my arm past I get a sharp whiff that is all icing. I say sharp in that it has the high-pitched whine of pure sugar, like a waft off a freshly iced cake. And sometimes I get a whiff of the honey. It seems to overall be getting sweeter as time goes by. What I got on my fingertips though smells like flowery honey (clover honey with a twist of lemon and an extra packet of sugar).

I like it at all its different stages on me. I may edit this later with how well it lasts and see how other people smell it on me.

Hellcat was too strong and surprisingly too foody for me. It wasn't wearable as a perfume on my skin. I think it's the "butter" scents that got to me. This is another blend that I'd recommend someone who is new to BPAL to try, just so they can smell what artistry the Lab is capable of.

This smells like I wanted gluttony to smell on me. This one is a yummy butterscotchy caramel on me. Very warm and sticky smelling.

I like it quite a bit, although I'm not sure I'd ever wear such a foody scent outside of the house cause it would make me hungry, plus it's a little too rich.

This was delish for about 5 seconds on me, then it went somehow seriously and irrevocably wrong. I don't know, it went somehow...burnt butter on me. I'm chalking this up to my hormones/body chemistry due to pregnancy and will be trying this again after I give birth and see if my chemistry likes it then.

ETA: I couldn't help myself and tried this again. This time it smelled really festive. I smelled rather like a redheaded rumball, LOL! It was a fun fragrance, but just too sweet and foody for me. I think it will make a DELIGHTFUL room scent, however and I'm going to try this tonight.

Edited by judas_kiss

In bottle: Eeeew. This is a really sugary scent. There's too much sweet going on. It's overly cloying and somehow it makes my mouth feel dry just from the scent. Odd.

On me: It's too heavy. I feel like I smell of someone's grandmother's fruitcake. Too dense to eat, weighed down by chopped nuts, liquor, and odd candied fruit. (There's no fruit in the fragrance that I can detect, just to clarify.) It's too sweet, too much, just too too much.

Edited by k00kaburra

hellcatn ahhhh my sweet hell cat

in the bottle: all butter cream and hazelnut sweetness i actually sigh aloud.

we:t hello almonds very very strong almonds...where is the lovely sweetness of the butter cream where is the rum?? almonds r nice but i wanted them mixed w/ the other notes.

dry: ahhhh nice

everything is blending together i wiff rummy spiciness and then buttercream sweetness and the almonds they seem to take turns catching my senses and i love this fragrance

i see def a 5ml possibly a 10

I am SO in love with this one.

My mom likes it too. She said it reminds her of a perfume that was big back in the eairly - mid 60's called Tabu. Her friend wore that one alot while she wore Last Evening in Paris.

It's GORGEOUS! Sweet and intrigueing. The first thing I smell is almonds! I totally am crazy over almonds. It makes me think of almond extract I love useing in cooking.

Wearing it, it stays pure as in the bottle upon my wrist. Gorgeously like cooking wonderful desserts. I was reminded of makeing fruit tarts - not the fruit but the filling and the shells - with lots of vanilla and almond!

I really REALLY think this one is wonderful, AND should come in a flavor. It's hard not to drink my imp. :P

My mate even LOVED it. He licked my wrist for this one.

I'll really need a 5 or 10ml!

This one is very foody and decadent. If you like thick, foody scents like Gluttony, Jack, or Centzon Totochtin, odds are you'll like Hellcat. That is, unless you're like me and can't stand almonds! This one is very, very strong on the almond note. Otherwise it's really yummy and makes me feel like purring.

Delish. A little on the sweet side, but as time passes, I'm liking how it smells on me. It's a bit heady as it settles. Luscious, heady, and makes me feel like I'm dessert, which can be a very good thing. The honey mead and rum are strong on me.

I love the buttercreamieness of this scent! It quickly morphs into the honey mead/rum on my skin. I'm not getting almonds as I'm wearing this...I definitely smell it in the vial, but it's not coming through on my skin. I'm not sure if I can wear this one...but I'm thinking it my be great on my husbands skin.

When applied this was pure almond for about 10 minutes until I got a sniff of buttercream. As the almond was being replaced by rum the buttercream became more prominent. This stage was delicious triggering thoughts of ice cream toppings and I was hoping that some hazelnut would come through to enhance this.

Two hours later still no sign of hazelnut, the buttercream is disappearing but rum is quite strong. By the third hour it had taken on a definite honey note but rum was hanging on in there. Another half hour and honey was declared the victor although it did retain some essence of rum.

I suspect that the honey is too strong for me in this but I need to wear it again to be sure.

Edited by malati

In the imp: Strongest on the mead and rum, but still has hints of the nutty hazelnut/almond in the background. I'm glad that the hazelnut seems to be the stronger of the two.

On: I do get a hint of maraschino cherry when this is still wet, but it still smells pretty good. Definitely has a bite!

After a bit: The bite turns into more of a nibble and the buttercream is definitely prominant now.. mmm.

me likes it. :P

ETA: Okay. I changed my mind. Way too much almond ends up coming out on me.. :D

Edited by harlequin

First sniff- smelled like sour cherry cough syrup (sorry, but it did)

Wet- Turned to such a strong rum that i got dizzy.

1 hour- turned to almonds for half an hour; then back to rum.

Dry- Rum and faintly of buttercream.

This scent stays on for hours...remains strong even after a washing.

:P hellcat is not for me...going to try it in diffuser next.

Strong rum and ALMONDS in the imp!! Oh almonds, how I love you! Yet there are smoky and creamy things underneath that emerge on the skin (I'm not sure what, but it makes this very interesting!) This is more boozy than just pure foody but not in a "I smell like a drunk" kind of way. It's still sweet, but not sickly. I LOVE HELLCAT!! It's, well, fun! Sort of sexy, but more a playful sexy. I can't think of how else to put it. This is the kind of effect I was going to order Grog hoping for, except this isn't pure buttery rum. It still has some complexity.

THIS IS IN MY TOP 10 NOW *goes to update everything*

:P

[edit] My bottle is waaaaay more heavy smelling with loads more buttercream. I still like it, but it's definitely a different scent. the imp was boozy and light.

Edited by luxuria

In the bottle: I'm worried about this one. I'm worried about the almond because almond and I don't get along. Dude, that's some wicked nut smelling alcohol in there. Seriously. I kinda feel like I should shoot it rather than wear it. The mead sits right at the top with the buttercream and the rum backing it up. The hazelnut and the almond mix together in order to provide the flavor of this liquor. And I'm gonna have to make myself not shoot it.

Wet: Woah. Hazelnut mead to the rescue. This calms down quite a bit once it hits the skin, which is a very good thing. It smells...well, it smells decidely foody. The hazelnut and the rum predominate on me right now and that smells...odd to me. I'm not a big, "Let's smell like food" fan even though I buy all those scents up. I like the smell of them as long as they're not on me. I smell like hazelnuts. Even the alcohol has abandoned me now. Somebody find me a nutcracker for my wrist so I can have lunch. :P

Dry down: A little rum and a whole lot of hazelnut. I'm not a big fan of hazelnuts. I was hoping to come out of this whole thing smelling like buttercream frosting. Or not, actually. I really just wanted to try this on for size and then pass it along to the boy. It won't work on him, either, but he can still have fun trying. And here comes the almond, which makes me a little ill to my stomach. For some reason, I cannot handle the smell of almonds. But, wow, Mr. Rum is very jealous and insists that he take the lead. Buttercream and honey mead are MIA. My guess is that they got eaten by the enemy--my skin.

Dry: On me this smells like a passed out drunk whose been into the nutella. It's not a bad scent. In the bottle, despite its strength, it smells very lovely. It simple turns into something nasty on me that unfortunately hits all the wrong buttons. I've never been a big fan of nuts or their scents. Almond makes me ill. This kinda smells like candles on me, too, in that it has an understated waxy quality in the background. I'll throw this at the boy and see if he's interested.

Hellcat

(That's odd. I thought I posted this already. I guess not, so here goes):

This was a freebie from the lab.

in the vial: Back story: When I got Samhain, it spilled all over me, and it ended up smelling horrible to me (it has since been swapped).

When I opened up Hellcat, it smelled like the worst parts of Samhain. I couldn’t manage to try it for a long time, because I just couldn’t deal with the way it smelled.

I think I could have liked Samhain (and Hellcat, by extension) if it hadn’t spilled. However, now I don’t, and I don’t like the way Hellcat smells in the vial either. It’s just way too sticky-sweet. Both of them smell a lot like caramel mixed with cigarette smoke to me.

on me: doesn’t change much. It’s barely tolerable.

Overall: this one is being swapped.

Hellcat

Sniff: Bitter almond and a bitchready dark scent.

Wet: It gets ever more almond-y. So bitter that it’s like a pissed of marashino cherry.

After 10: You know, my initial reaction was uncertainty. But after it’s on for a bit, it just warms up to a very sexy, creamy spice. It’s dark, something like an unexpected embrace in a dark room, but it’s really very pleasant. Definitely unisex and definitely sex! Thanks so much to IndigoWhatever for the swap on this one!

I've been wearing this all day and I had to edit my post to say how much I love it. It's just so creamy, sensual, and naughty. I also think it'd be deadly if worn after using MMU's You Give Me Fever magic lotion ride. *drool*

Edited by pkwench

From the imp and in the initial wet stage, all I'm really smelling is the almonds. But this dries down very nicely blending with the other scents like the mead, rum, etc. It's a very heavy, sweet, sexy spicy scent. I am wearing it at work, which might be a big much, but overall I think this is just so beautiful.

ETA: The more I wear this the more I love it. I think it is completely sexy and I love the way it dries down. Funny thing is the first time I wore this I swiped it on my wrist and some of the oil got onto my watch band before it dried in. Now everytime I move my wrist around my face, I smell Hellcat, no matter what else I am wearing, and I always immediately think Damn Hellcat is some gooooood stuff! Definitely 10 ml bottle worthy! :P

Edited by dcmo

Whoa, baby, this is boozy.

In the bottle: Almonds ... buttercream ... something boozy, but I can't distinguish whether it's rum, mead, or both.

On: It's still boozy, but in more of a rum desserty way than an 'I've spent the last 10 hours in a bar' sort of way. It's very buttery, and I smell rum more than mead and absolutely no almonds - my skin must eat up almond scents, because I don't get any almond out of Dana O'Shee, either.

I also get a hint of something spicy out of this, it's almost cinnamon-esque, and I'm not sure where it comes from.

This lasts forever, too. Yay!

um, i may have gotten a "funny" batch, but i got full-on butter while wet, then a slight spice a minute later, now just woods. spicy woods. a bit like old spice after shave. no boozy, no almonds, no buttercream. shame, as i love all three!

Edited by warmfuzzies

Hellcat is what happens when Gluttony sails to Port-Au-Prince and dry-humps Grog at a racuous party. It's just absolutely gorgeous. pkwench's "this is sex" scent is Bordello -- mine is now totally Hellcat.

It starts off very bitter nutty from the hazelnut, then mellows out into this warm, hot, sensual thick almost-sweet but not quite scent. It's sticky and smooth, sultry. I get orange spice from rum, so it's very hot orange spice with amaretto and a warm undercurrent of vanilla sugar. :D

My next order will be including a bottle of Hellcat. :P

Hellcat

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This is thick, rich and creamy – almost buttery. I feel almost as if I am standing in the dessert section of a deli – surrounded by freshly-baked sweets ... definitely has a foody hint to it.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This tones down a bit. It retains its rich and creamy foody scent. Not at all unpleasant.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is starting to turn a bit perfumey … its giving me a headache. The foodiness has all but dissipated. I’m not certain which note is turning it into perfume, and I’m not happy about it.

This has mellowed into an interesting, semi-spicy, perfume. I really didn’t foresee such a dramatic change from the initial wet. I like this final stage, but sadly the imp will have to go into the Swap Pile – The Hubby did not like initial wet stage ... and there is still something headache-inducing about it. :P

First sniff from the bottle- OMGWTFBBQ!? Almond cookies!

After 10 minutes- At first this was all vanilla/almond/rum but after a few minutes it settles down into an 'Oh! my! God! piping hot delicious hazelnut latte. It is a lot like gluttony, but spicier!

After 30 minutes- Yep, this totally smells like a hazelnut latte as it dries down. :P More please?

Summery- Hellcat is yummy. I like it better than Gluttony. It's a keeper!

Smells like a fruitcake! The almond and rum combine to create an overpowering aroma of candied cherries liberally basted in liquor.

I was expecting something sultry. Although liquor can be sultry...

Hmm, now I'm thinking a mixed drink, in a lowlit bar, with a single maraschino cherry inviting the lips.

ETA: A strong sweet honey mead?

Edited by helarctos