BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

HELLCAT
A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

First sniff: WOW. Very warm, but more decadent-warm than comforting-warm. A bit alcoholy. Red velvet curtains and raucous laughter.

Diffuser: OK, so I haven’t been brave enough to wear this boozey madness yet. It’s gorgeous as a room scent, very warm (and still decadent). The smell reminds me of a hot drink with alcohol – nothing coffeeish, but some sort of heavy heady rum concoction by the fire in the dead of winter. Definitely use it with water – it was way too strong when the water burned off.

Wearing: Sweet, heavy, felt like it was just on the verge of giving me a headache right when I put it on. I’m afraid this one is a bit much, as fabulous as it sounded. Sigh. Still boozey even after it dries, and very hyper and hectic. It almost smells burned when I put my nose right up to my wrist. I ended up swapping it to lorajc, and it works on her!

Hellcat...

I sniffed this one first before rereading (and thus remembering) the description, and the only thing i got right was the rum. ("where's all the rum gone?" :P). On me, it smelled very dry and dusty and spicy, and wasn't really to my taste.

There's also the fact that whether or not I can or can't smell it, I'm hesitant to wear anything that lists an alcoholic beverage as one of the scents... particularly to class or to see my parents!

Initial Impression:

Boozy and sweet, much like me! LOL I maintain what I told Sarah when I first read the description, on how very me it is. You can really smell the rum. It's like a very strong, but very girly mixed drink.

After Wearing It:

Smelled quite boozy in the vial, but to both my relief and profound disappointment, it didn't smell quite so boozy on. I missed the loveliness of that good buzz smell, but was glad that I could get away with wearing this to work without smelling that I had come to my shift straight from a bender. The smell on was very sweet and comforting. Not really a bakery smell, but something that would remind you of sitting by the fire on a cold day drinking, warm sweet drinks. Good for cold days or when you just need to feel some extra love.

Final Thoughts:

I love this. It's sweet and warm without being at all foody. It's sexy, sly and sinfully decadent. I'll be buying a bottle of this once CCNow stops boycotting it.

This was a buttery rum decadent scent. The drydown on me was the wicked bite part. Smells more buttery/rummy and boozy while wet. This is a nice unique scent.

hmmm. this is a bit -too- boozey for me. i tried it last night, and i smelled like i spilled a bottle of butterscotch schnapps on myself. i am not really a fan of buttery/rummy smells, they don't work on me at all. ah well. can't win 'em all.

I swapped for a sample of this one and on me it's all sweet creamy almonds & honey. On dry down, there is a bit of a bite, but just enough to make it interesting as opposed to over the top boozey.

A co-worker told me earlier this afternoon that it reminded her of the marzipan that her Grandmother made at Christmas time.

In the vial, the nut and alcohol scents come through very strongly at first. Very very strong smelling. After putting it on, I am afraid I had to take it off straight away. I didn't like it at all but obviously that is just my taste. I wasn't impressed when I first put it on but I wanted to give it a fair go. Unfortunately, it dried into a very bitter smell that I could not live with and it had to come off. I'm really disappointed because I love the name of it and I couldn't wait to tell people I was wearing "Hellcat".

This was exactly the scent of hot buttered rum when I first applied it. After drydown, I smell more of a Frangelico nutty alcohol scent. Its yummy enough to make me salivate. That said, I just don't particularly enjoy smelling like something you eat or drink. Nonetheless, if foodie scents are your thing, this is a very adult foodie scent.

Gorgeous, smoky, boozy,and sweet smell- to me it smelt like the livingroom of a aristocrat- smoky fireplace, a glass of rum, and little cakes on the table. Lovely.

I swapped for a sample of this and am really glade I did. This was a beautifully warm and delicious scent. The almonds really came up on me...most definitely a not scent for the weak. Very boozy and hedonistic, this is a scent made for reveling in your more carnal side. Of long sweaty...well you follow.

The buttercream saves this scent from being TOTALLY wicked however.

My first impression in the bottle and on initial application is of buttered rum flavored Life Savers. It mellows out a bit once it's on, but it's definitely a powerful scent, probably best not for everyday (so it figures I put it on first thing on a weekday morning). This is not a scent that fades into the background! Boozy, sweet and voluptuous. I'm just not sure whether I have enough occasions that call for such a scent. :P

mmmmmm...hot buttered rum...that was what I got out of it. I liked it as a scent, but not on me. It smells a bit too foodie. I might try it as a room scent though.

I swapped for this one, and accidentally got two Imp's Ears, as well. This will be a wonderful thing for someone who likes Hellcat, because it's not a scent that works on me.

Going on, I immediately get, and am stuck with for quite a while, the rancid peanut butter note that bothers me in All Night Long. I so want to like this one, as the reviews and description are fabulous, but Gluttony's a much better way for me to get some of these notes to work for me.

Eventually, this dries down to a very incense-heavy, woody, and finally boozy scent on my skin, but it takes way too long to get there. Several people in the office sniffed me, and all of them pulled back with a look of disgust on their faces, which wasn't encouraging, either.

I'll have to pass, which is a shame, considering how good it smells on nearly everyone else around here. :P

My skin seems to reflect almond and slurp up the other scents, so I decided to give this one a go in the oil burner.

O my God.

The room fills itself with this heady, edible, decadent scent, and it makes me want to lick the walls because surely they must be covered in something that smells like this. Decadent and erotic. Ususally scents that I don't like end up in the burner (as they'll run out quicker that way :P ) but this one is such a winner like that.

It's amazing at how different our "noses" are!

First Impression: In the bottle this smells very sweet then quickly changes to dusty on the skin. I can't believe how this one changes.

Second Impression: It smells like bayrum to my nose--a sexier, sweeter more feminine version. I don't smell any butter whatsoever.

Final Analysis: The more it mellows, the prettier it gets. Though I still smell the bayrum the nuttiness has come through. I like this one, it's a little mysterious and voluptuous.

Edited to Add: My second imp of Hellcat was totally different to the first one reviewed above.

The second imp was very almondy, buttery, rummy and boozey. It's lighter and sweeter than the first one. Pretty and more foody.

Edited by andrabell

I really, really wanted to like this. :D

Bottle: It smelled very boozy and very warm when I took my first sniff. I squealed happily. :P

On me: It did not agree with me. :D It went straight from boozy-warm goodness to what smelled like Christmas incense.

This is a really distinctive, provocative scent.

When I first applied it, the almonds were all I could smell for the first fifteen minutes... then the other oils started coming into play and now, about an hour and a half after application, I mostly smell the buttercream and the rum. It's got just the slightest bite, enough to make it interesting without being *too* bitey. It's a very adult smell. I'm liking it quite a bit. There's also something unusual about it in that, although it smells very "womanly," I think this would smell great on a man. Probably the rum. I'd want to nuzzle the neck of a hot guy who had this on.

When sniffing the bottle I can smell the almonds and rum and when first on I can still smell them. When it merges down I can smell a spicy note, very warm and sensual, almost musky. It reminds me of our goth market in Liverpool. The scent is incredibly familar :P

Very odd, and my first scent from BPAL.

From the bottle this really *is* Rum and something buttery. Yum!

On my wrists it quickly morphs into a marachino cherry scent. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's just my body chemistry, but it's still yummy. I like cherries!

Once again I hear a song, this time Goldfrapps "Black Cherry" :D

On the cleavage area the scent morphed into a dead ringer for Almond Liqueur. One of my favourite alcoholic drinks!

It would be even yummier if the rum & buttercream scent lasted a bit longer (might be just me, though).

Candylike, sweet scent. For people who like to smell edible. :P

-Milk

ETA: Oh and this might be totally TMI, but it's *that* time of the month for me at the moment, so my body chemistry might be different. I'm really interested in how Hellcat will smell on me a few days later. I'll update this post and let you know how my experiment went. :D

Edited by MilkAndSugar

This is a very strong scent, even on me, so use sparingly. When you put it on, you're just about knocked over by the overwhelming smell of booze. So rummy! The fumes literally radiate from your body, and it takes a while to calm down.

[i'm afraid I may have offended a particular gentleman in the computer lab. I think he had a cold, but he kept sniffing the air. As Hellcat became less potent, he stopped :P]

Anyway, this was the perfect scent for the recent unusually cold after-storm weather that we've been having. Very dreary weather, but Hellcat certainly spices things up a bit. The drydown is a delicous hazelnut buttercream. I've tried layering this with Gluttony and I think I prefer not to layer it from now on, as I prefer Hellcat's spicy note to Gluttony's sweet one. But don't be afraid to experiment!

In the vial, quite boozy. I smell the mead and a touch of almond. Upon application this goes extremely sweet on me and is quite strong. I get primarily honeyed mead, with a bit of rum. No almonds, which is fine by me. There may be a few hazlenuts in the background, but they're very shy, and the buttercream has apparently got stage fright. Pretty powerful stuff, decent lasting power. I like it better as it fades-- it becomes slightly less sweet, a bit creamier as the background notes come out a bit more. It's veeerry foody on me-- it smells yummy, but it's too sweet and foody for me to like as a perfume.

I've gotten an idea of what it must smell like on the people who love it, though-- warmed as a room scent, this is delicious. It's not nearly as cloyingly sweet--the rum balances out the honeyed mead, and the other notes provide a smooth, rich complexity. Very foody, yes, but very nice. I think I still prefer Vice as a cold weather room scent, but this is a close second!

Edited by with coffee spoons

Not applied: Warm. Downright scrumptious. I can really smell the honey mead, probably because I am very familiar with that scent. Heavy, but not in an overwhelming way. Reminds me very much of the smell of a little local witchy shop I frequent - which is a good thing for me.

On skin: Shortly after applying the scent, my chemistry decided to bring out the honey mead element more than any of the others.

An hour later, it wore down and the buttercream was more dominant.

A few hours later, pretty much the same, except lighter. Delightful. Very comforting for me.

This is in my top 3 right now. I see a 10ml bottle coming in my future.

-MissA

I just got 10mL of this in a trade.

BEST

TRADE

EVER.

I thought Darkness was my signature scent, but oh momma, I've just changed my mind.

This is SO ME it's scary. Definitely rum and mead with just a teensy bit of the other notes, with my chemistry. This is straight out of the pub scene in "Pirates of the Caribbean."