BPAL Madness!
Geminirubyshoes

The Last Unicorn

Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.

When I noticed ''The Last Unicorn'' I had to buy a bottle right away. I love the cartoon, it's my favorite my childhood.
I was so curious if the white chocolate and cabbage would come through, and WOW it does! In fact I think I smell tree moss in this blend ( perhaps that's the cabbage?)
I get plenty of soft almost transparent lilac, pale chocolate and munchy greens! I adore the delicate label,and simply treasure this blend. It honestly took me straight to childhood daze, I'm not sure how but it does... ..I think it's the woodsy and green base of this....It's beautiful, in fact old skool chypre lovers ( like me) will love this I'm sure! I'm also impressed with the longevity and sillage!
Absolutely the scented equivalent of the Last Unicorn's essence.....<3

Thanks BPAL!

At first, I get florals with white chocolate, very pretty! As it dries, the orris comes out, and the chocolate is helping to keep it from getting tangy, as orrris does on me most of the time. The sandalwood is amaaaazing, but I wish it was a bit more prominent in the blend. This blend is very evocative of how I'd imagine the Unicorn to smell like. Very pretty, and if I use up the imp, a bottle may be in store here.

The Last Unicorn's predominant notes on my skin are violet and sandalwood which essentially equal baby powder. Sadness.

Without even looking at the notes, I knew there was chocolate and orris root in this one immediately. The coconut note is very light as are the floral notes. Dries down to a chocolate woodsy scent. Nice, but not anything I will need to buy a bottle of.

The Last Unicorn

On: The sweetness of the white chocolate and coconut is what hits me first, then there's an earthy, fruity scent, that might be a combination of the root, orris, violet leaf, and oakmoss. Interesting.

1 hour in: Sweet and a little powdery, with a bit of earthiness. Not as pungent as it was at first, which is a good thing.

5 hours in: Sweet and powdery still, along with that same hint of earthiness.

Overall: This isn't really me.

This smells like a lighter version of White Chocolate & Marshmallow Coconut Truffle in the imp and upon initial application. Then I smell perfumey, powdery lilac/orris? and a bit of lettuce. It seems like there is very little white sandalwood and oakmoss in this because I smell a little woodiness but just barely. It ends up smelling like a "greener" version of the truffle I mentioned before. It's very ethereal. I can't say that this is something I would wear but I'm still tempted to get a bottle just for the artwork. :blush:

Edited over a year later...

Finally bought a bottle with some extra funds I had lying around, and I've been wearing it for three days straight. Maybe because it's Summer, but I feel like this is the most perfect scent right now. It has all the things I love.. sandalwood, white chocolate and coconut but it also has notes of death like iris, orris, & violet. For some reason though it's just really working, and it lasts all day. Beth did a wonderful job if capturing the scent of the Unicorn.

Edited by mxtine

First sniff in the bottle I am not so keen, smelling plastic-y white chocolate, green grass and something vegetable, then on skin, the same, only then it begins this hint of horse, and I'm thinking while I don't really want to smell like a horse, this is really amazing, you really can believe a unicorn would smell like this. Unicorns wash in violet-lilac soap and smell pretty.

The horse scent faded after 5-10 minutes and left me with something I quite like, but I am not sure I will wear that often. I LOVE the concept, and the scent does indeed work well, even if I can not distinguish all of the notes listed, but it may be off into my sales page...but I am not sure yet...something keeps dragging my nose back. I'm going through some weird hormonal disturbance so it may smell different next week :)

In the imp: Wow, this is so GREEN, with a light smattering of white and purple petals!

On: Initially, the lettuce goes "HI I'M GREEN!" Next follows a hint of white chocolate. As it dries and warms, I am beginning to get the coconut and the barest hint of flowers. A lot more interesting than I initially expected. It's cool, yet sweet, and feels amazingly ephemeral. If unicorns did exist, I could imagine them smelling like this. This reminds me a little bit of Snow White in mood, only greener and slightly sweeter, and without the vanilla I'm sure is present in SW.

Later: Now it's a hint of green with white chocolate and a sliver of coconut, with just a breath of floral on top. Unusual and GORGEOUS. This one goes on the bottle list.

In imp: I'm getting those frosty notes here. Slightly spicy-sweet, with a round kind of vanilla-ey note. It's a soft, lovely scent, white with a touch of pink and blue.

Wet on skin: huh. It turns very vanilla-ey, and quite yummy, actually. I think it's the coconut, may also be the orris, but I've had this same smell for the other coconut/orris scents I've tried (Blood Pearl especially). The higher, frostier notes stop it from becoming grandmother-y like Blood Pearl for me, the frosty blues amidst the white--the brightness is usually hidden by the coconut though. It's a heady kind of scent, and definitely foody for me.

Dry: well, it's a soft, very womanly and knowledgeable scent for me. I can't decide whether I love this scent or not. It has good throw and it's over eight hours now, and I can still smell it on my wrist without really trying. It's very heady. The coconut is still there full force.

Verdict: well, at least I know that I should tread lightly on scents with coconut. It hasn't been very good to me so far! I love the scent, but a whole day with it--it's a bit "too much" for my nose, and not very "me". It's waning now--I think a little zing and lightness to this waning Last Unicorn would be just perfect for me.

In bottle: This is a complex scent, dominated by the sandalwood, coconut and chocolate notes.

Wet: The chocolate note comes out first, followed by the sandalwood. From a short distance, the base note is a warm woody chocolate with undefinable extras.

Dry: The sandalwood predominates as the scent dries, and something like coconut (or am I fooling myself?) starts to appear. For me, the imagery this conjures up is petals scattered over wood.

This scent is a surprising interpretation of The Last Unicorn. The more I smell it, the better it seems. It's best from a short distance away, which is appropriate. I've tried this twice, and I can safely say that my body chemistry has a strong impact on my skin's interpretation of the scent. I feel like there is a note missing, but on the whole, this complex, warm scent will see a lot of use with me.

*edited for typo*

Edited by changeling

Apologies in advance for the "!!!", this is just too good. The story of The Last Unicorn is one that I like, but this blend outdoes it. It's like it captures the concept behind the character, and expresses the idea better even than a story could. The weirdest thing about it, for me, is that The Last Unicorn feels very me---I never would have believed that I could identify so strongly with a mere smell. It almost makes me weepy, it feels so intimate and personal! :blush:

In the imp: lilac and white chocolate

Wet on skin: It begins on me with lilac and white chocolate, though these soon make room for the violet leaf and wild lettuce, and something earthy and dark, I'm guessing oakmoss.

Dry: It comes to a harmonious balance, and hasn’t morphed very much since. I think I detect lilac, orris, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and a lurking hint of dark oakmoss, all blended together to form a well-rounded, complex whole.

The Last Unicorn is misty-opaque lavender-white floral chocolate, pure and untame, with ghostly sandalwood and a hint of woody coconut to keep her minimally embodied. Vain (the last unicorn is a bit vain!), but lovable. Pretty and gourmand like a heavenly dessert, but mysterious and deep like an overgrown forest. White, but dark (this is how I read the white chocolate, not as overly foody, but as a contradictory white velvety quality that does amazing things with the contrarieties of the other notes), but also green, and a bit humus-y brown from the oakmoss. I love the wild lettuce note---this is the residual odor of a sinless herbivore. And inasmuch as it’s a sex scent, which in some ways it really is (from the chocolate and sandalwood, I think), the more ethereal florals combine to evoke a sweet, mysterious, and magical sensuality, reminiscent of how unicorns have sex, which is of course by touching their horns and having a glowy, magical unicor-gasm of pristine, wild, virginal love. Rare, divine, bestial love---that perpetually withdraws from human confinement. Words cannot express! This stuff is utterly amazing. It makes me swoon. It is such a treasure! I want to smell like this all the time, and it is so insane that I can! Thank you a million times, Beth!

Very long lasting, with excellent throw. In the penultimate stage, after maybe 8-9 hours, the still-balanced scent hovers like misty satin over the skin. It lasts on me for a long time yet, and I still get light wafts of it the next morning.

I'm a bpal newbie and I look forward to experimenting with many and sundry other scents, but after a month testing this I can just tell, The Last Unicorn is destined to be my *forever and always*. :wub2:

Edited by invisible iris

Chocolate. Chocolate chocolate chocolate. All chocolate. Chocolate that gets sour on my skin and no other notes BUT chocolate. So very disappointed :'(

In the vial: I did not expect such sweetness. The white chocolate and coconut is all I'm picking up at this time.

On my wrist: I'm kind of scard putting this on my wrist, because the white chocolate is so strong, but luckily it subsides. Instead I'm now picking up the lilac petals, lettuce, a coconutty white chocolate mix as well as some earth tones. This truly a weird and whimsical scent, which is only appropriate for a unicorn.

at first, this is all white chocolate, with maybe a hint of coconut. not a foody scent fan, so i am hoping these top notes fade quickly!

after drying a bit, the violet leaf and iris slowly come out. at this point, it becomes a very white scent, indeed. luminous too. it's like a floral-aquatic scent with a chocolaty-foodiness to it. it's very pretty! and i normally don't like either of those scent families.

eta: now this has been on my skin an hour and it's gorgeous. a soft white musky-oaklmoss scent with just a tiny, tiny hint of the white chocolate. so beautiful.

Edited by theseagrows

I'm having a hard time pinning this one down, it seemed at first to be a straightforward girly-gourmand perfume, but it has gotten more complex every time I've worn it.

Initially The Last Unicorn smells like white chocolate and mint. It is similar to Snow-Flakes from the Yule line.

After the perfume has some time to settle into the skin, the green notes of violet leaf and lettuce come out more. The scent is sweet and clean. I don't ever smell lilac, much to my surprise. Lilac is usually a strong note on me. I think that the lilac is adding sweetness to the greenness of the violet leaf and lettuce.

The coconut and sandalwood come out after an hour or so. I can smell iris mixing with the coconut. I noticed that when my body heat goes up the coconut comes out more. I've found myself doing sweaty August yard work or working out in a nimbus of coconut! There is a fuzzy sparkle of oakmoss.

The white chocolate stays throughout the perfume, but it is subdued. White chocolate sometimes smells off on me, but it works here, especially with the coconut, sandalwood, and oakmoss.

I like this scent. It lasts a long time on my skin. Sometimes I think it smells like a sweet perfume for a little girl, but then there is a slight shift to the balance of notes and it smells more sophisticated. I ordered the perfume because I love the movie/book, but the perfume is lovely in it's own right.

Edited by Amaranthus

i'm kind of surprised i like this one. i mean, chocolate and flowers? why? but it works beautifully. the white chocolate is pale, creamy and cool, when mixed with the coconut- it is way more perfumey than candy, and i mean that in a good way. the lilac petals add a light floral sweetness and it is all tempered by cool, refreshing lettuce. it's all very well-blended, to the extent that individual notes are difficult to pick out.

it's cool, pale, shimmery, creamy, beautiful. i think a unicorn might actually smell like this.

I didn't even think lettuce had much of a smell. Turns out it does, and turns out I amp it like nobody's business. Even my man says "lettuce", and his olfactory system is in the soles of his feet. I iz disappoint. :(

I was so excited seeing that the last unicorn is a bpal scent and i wanted to order right away but

I patiently waited for lady amalthea to come out to order some more bottles since i life in japan and i didnt only wanted to order some imps and 1 bottle because shipping is expensiv.

In the bottle: Coconut hits me right away. A good coconut not the stupid artificial coconut scent i hate so much. More like fresh coconut pulp. There is something grassy in the background. Lettuce? Oakmoss.

It smeels old (a good old like an antique store old) but sweet.

On the skin wet: coconut and vanilla. But i smell the grassy flavor still but even more in the background. Only wispering to me.

On the skin dry: NNNNNNOOOO my skin eats it. It seems to be tasty. I putted some more on but the dry down nearly has no throw :cry2:

It is very soft green coconut with a grass flavor in the background. Such a pretty scent if my skin would be hungry for it :yum:

I tried to put on twice as much as i normally would but within 5 min it got eaten by my skin. I hope it will come up again after some minutes. To say it with king haggard : I can wait. The end will be the same...I can wait....

After half an hour to 1 hour: The scent came back with a strong throw. Unfortunately my skin chemistry makes it all coconut and vanilla. I hoped the grassy scent would stay but its all gone now :rantrave:

After 3-4 hours: It is nearly gone and faded to a quite soapy scent. Nice expensiv soap but soapy nevertheless.

Verdict: Its really lovely and in the bottle it smells dead on like i would imagine the unicorn to smell like. Ufortunately my skin makes it all sweet vanilla coconut and coconut is not my favorite scent at all.I am also a bit dissapointed with how fast it fades on my skin. after 4-5 hours it was completely gone :cry2:

It is not the "woah i need 10 bottles of this scent" i hoped for.I will keep and cherish my bottle but i wont buy a backup. Although i decided to give the complete last unicorn imp pack number I a go because in the review even mommy fortuna and the harpy sound good and i really want to try the lilac wood without buying a whole bottle. So i will have 1 more imp of that one as well which makes me happy never the less :lol:

For me this scent is nice and calming but not as grassy/woodsy as i hoped when i sniffed it in the bottle.

I really have high hopes for the lilac wood now after this.

Edited by DahliaHayashi

Out of the imp: This is a very floral, grassy scent. I can pick up the coconut, just barely, which gives it a kind of creamy odor, along with the wild lettuce and a hint of white chocolate at the very end. It seems very fresh and clean, but at the same time there's something air-freshener-y about it. It does not strike me as being very strong or heavy - this is clearly a 'light' scent.

Right after application: I put a thick line on each wrist and rubbed together, and a swirl on the hollow of my throat. The air-freshener-ness to it became stronger, but it also turned a bit watery, perhaps from the lilac petals. I can't pick up any more coconut, which is good, because I can't stand the smell of coconut. Still bright, floral/grassy, a clean scent.

One hour later: The throw comes and goes; sometimes I catch a wiff of it just sitting still, other times I have to sniff my wrist to really catch the scent. It has turned more powdery at this point, the sandalwood and orris coming through the florals. No longer quite so air-freshener-y, but still a bright clean scent.

Three hours later: The throw seems to have really diminished, as no one in my office has commented on it (many of the women here are very sensitive to perfumes and other scented things). I'm really torn between whether I like wearing it or not; it has a very fresh and clean feel to it, but at the same time it feels like an air freshener, and I'm not sure if I want to smell like an air freshener. I definitely like it in general, though. This would probably make a wonderful scent to spritz on fresh linens. This strikes me as being a good scent for young women - fresh and perhaps a touch innocent. An evocative scent for the Last Unicorn.

Bottle aged since release.

Wet: Coconut and soft aquatic florals.

Drydown:At this stage, my SO came in and asked if I was"drinking Mexican cocoa." Nope, quite a morph!

Dry: Soft and chocolatey, not really my thing. It is very pretty, but a little too foody on my skin for some reason.

Wet on my skin: The lettuce is the note that hits my nose first, which I find mildly amusing for some strange reason. The oakmoss and lilac are not far behind.

Five minutes: Oooh, the white chocolate and coconut have come out and sweetened this tremendously. This is so unusual to my nose! Foody white chocolate, coconut, lettuce, moss, floral... but nothing is coming out on top. It's just an interesting mix of notes.

Drydown: Ethereal is indeed the term for this. The orris and violet leaf are here at this point, and everything is blending together to form something high pitched, green, and elusive. What an evocative blend! I really like it, but I don't know if I'll ever use more than my decant. It's a great scent, but it's not something I'll wear often at all.

At first, The Last Unicorn has a murky, muddy, vegetative scent about it; almost a dirty aquatic but not quite. Luckily this is a short first impression and the scent blossoms into something amazing. It is complex and seamless, so well-blended that no one note stands out above the others. It smells a little dainty, a lot sad: This is one of those incredibly evocative scents, and knowing the inspiration for it, it just all makes sense somehow. I could be a young girl again, wearing this scent and crying over the book and the film for the first time. But it works for me now as a woman, a little older and wiser with a little bit of Molly Grue inside of me, because this scent is wistful and peaceful and gentle and lovely. SO beautiful. I quite think it would work as a unisex scent, too, which means it is damned brilliant on top of everything else.

:thud:

Aged imp from unicorn horn set 2010.

In 2010: on me, mostly earthy and sweet: lettuce, moss, and white chocolate. Someone mentioned heads of lettuce in the garden--yes, this. Plus light white chicolate. There is a delicate but noticeable floral (lilac) edge. No coconut. Beautiful and wistful; sophisticated. Possibly bottle worthy.

In 2012: More floral now. Lilac is very strong... The blend has gotten very sweet, less earthy. Almost cloying. Sigh. Not so bottle worthy now. Will retest later with hope the lovely earthiness cones back...

I am so glad I tried this, and once I have the funds I will be ordering a full bottle! It definitely is unlike anything I have ever tried before, and at first sniff I wasn't completely convinced it was for me, even though it smelled nice in the imp. It melds perfectly with my skin, which I was really worried about, considering the lettuce note. After about 2 minutes on I just could not stop sniffing my arm! And there is something in here...the way all the notes mesh together...that brings to mind a time from my childhood. Not a specific event, but it evokes FEELINGS I had in my childhood...Maybe the lab has figured a way to bottle innocense? :P There is also definitely something soothing about this as well. If I inhale deeply and try to pick apart all of the notes, I can pick up most of them, but the dominant notes on my skin are creamy sweet lilac petals, white chocolate, coconute and orris. I love, love, love it!

Wet: Fresh cut chrysanthemums. :eek: Must be the combination of chocolate with lettuce? It's rather a sharp green spiky scent combined with chocolate, yuck.

Drying down: Wilting lettuce covered in sugary chocolate, this isn't changing for the better yet.

Dry: There's a distinct yellow feel to it, the chocolate is getting a bit waxy, the green notes are still there. The Last Unicorn now equals a jumble of trampled greenery with added chocolate on my skin. I really wish I got the coconut and orris combo others get. :( Maybe I amp lettuce?