BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat

A sparkly, batty little scent: green tea, melon, mint, lime rind, and champagne grape with lemon balm, mullein, and toadflax.

Got this from the ever-so-lovely callmepenelope:heart:

In bottle: Melon/lime soda!

On skin: Mmm! A bit of something musky, maybe a bit of lemon balm, comes out and tones the juiciness down to what reminds me of a Yankee Candles scent :D

Drydown: Oh wow, is that the champagne grape that's making things so bubbly? One of my wrists went a bit piney, how absurd! As I let this sit on me all day, it smells like a green vanilla, if that makes sense...

Verdict: This is a melon scent that I can actually get behind! I usually have an aversion to melon and cucumber-melon scents, but this is such a juicy, cool/fresh scent. The warm undertones really make this scent delightful.

Received this as a frimp in my last order (thank you Beth-you are so generous!) It is a scent I can safely say I would never I have picked out for myself, c'mon, melon?! But suprisingly, I really enjoy it! It starts out with melon on center stage; at this point it could be a single note! Yet even in the bitter cold of a New England winter, the melon is not out of place, instead it's a preview of warmer days to come. When the green tea joins along with a slight mintyness, this scent takes a complex and unexpected turn. I'm really digging this! However at the moment I crave the comforts of warmer, spicer scents, so Twinkle,Twinkle Little Bat will be stored away until the day when a warm breeze rattles my windchimes out of hibernation and blizzards no longer beat against my window.

I think I'm pretty much the 78th reviewer to say that this smells like melon.

It's sweet, crisp, and tart (probably from the tea and lime rind), but definitely melon. I think it would be great in the spring. It does get softer and less in-your-face when it's dry, but it's still pretty bright and sparkly.

I would like to test this with Yemaya to see which one I like better, because probably one imp's worth of a melon perfume is plenty for me. I like the scent of melon, but it's not my favorite fruit note to wear as perfume.

Alas, BPAL's melon notes seem to have issues with my skin. I get overripe honeydew and limp herbs, nothing else. Sorry, TTLB! I must find you another home.

Something about this is like melony Sprite. I really like it. It's floaty and a bit silly but not too sweet.

Unfortunately the throw is very short. This little bat flew right away in about two hours.

In the bottle: joyful silly irreverent melon! how charmingly adorable. I love this one right out of the bottle for its' silly melon (honeydew primarily, but also hints of cantaloupe) and hints of lime. it's just so...joyous! in a "let's throw a tea party and all switch hats and wear torn dresses" sort of way.

On my skin: slices of juicy melon dipped in champagne. the lime rind and lemon balm arrive at the tea party at the same time, dressed identically and fooling no one. they make a pleasing citrus-squish though, so no one asks them to leave. there's something a bit furry skulking under the table, but it's a friendly sort of beast, so everyone lets it stay. dries to melon sprinkled with lemon balm and a little leftover champagne. if the green tea is there at all, it's a juicy sweet one.

Last thoughts: the melon in this is very similar to the juicy wonderfulness found in Yemaya. this is basically a sweeter, slightly tart, more irreverent version of it I think.

Mmmm, this is so good!

Really melon and mint. It smells very freshlike / summer like to me. This makes me very happy! I love melon and this melon is not too much, but really just perfect! The mint in it makes it even more lovely.

Sparkly little twinkly thing indeedy!

In the imp this is straight up melon, exactly like the melon note in Earth rat (which I ADORE)

Wet - holy crap, my skin ate the melon, like just sucked it straight up! Nowhere to be sniffed?! It's just straight up muddy herbal tea. I hope this sorts its self out soon...

Dry - Hemlock? Peppermint hemlock. How on earth did that happen. Where is the beoved melon twinkly goodness? My sparkle bat turned into a troublesome grubby bat that has been misbehaving in your grannies herb garden!

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat

On: Lots of incredibly sweet honeydew. I can't pick anything else out.

5 hours in: Sweet, powdery, and a bit soapy, with a hint of a vegetable-like note.

6.5 hours in: Powdery and sweet.

Overall: Melon notes aren't really my thing. This was pretty, though.

In the bottle: Melon, melon, melon....a little bit effervescent, totally juicy.

Wet: Still totally fruity....I want to drink this. Mr. says it smells "like 7-Up".

Dry: All those green herby notes come forward in a big way, with a bitter twist from the lime rind...very clean, light and fresh. The melon is mostly gone, although I get a waft of it now an then. Scratch that... it's more of a blast than a waft.

Going on the "Big bottle" list....

In the vial: Quite melony on the first sniff, but with assorted condiments. I feel like I'm on a picnic.

On my wrist: I'm picking up the lemon blam, lime and a touch of mint, but the melon is still dominant. It's quite pretty, fresh and lovely. Twinkle's a definite keeper.

In the imp: MELON MELON MELON! I love it.

Wet:A lot less melon maybe toadflax next to the skin but the throw is all melon.

Dry: Much more than just melon there's the mint and the lime and a bit of the tea all playing together nicely. This is really pleasent after trying lighting and HATING it.

Over all this is a very Mad Tea Party scent and it's delicious and not a hint of florals in sight! This is very good for people who want to smell girly but hate florals.

Wet: lemony cantaloupe

Drydown: This is a fresh, sweet melon. It starts to become more complex and then suddenly a mystery note appears and weighs down the "lightness" of it all. Now it smells like melon rind. It's not pleasant.

Dry: Thankfully the rind disappears and suddenly the champagne and lime appear. It becomes a very pretty lime that almost reads floral rather than fruity. It's quite nice.

Verdict: I'd wear this again when the weather gets warmer. Hopefully it'll skip over that rind moment next time!

Got this as a free imp with my order.

Before I had even looked at the description, I sniffed it in the bottle, and the only word that came to mind was "cantaloupe". I'm not a huge fan of cantaloupe, so it was a bit worrying.

But the cantaloupe scent faded and the other notes came out, leaving a nice herbal scent that really worked for me. I even got an unprovoked "You smell good" from the husband. That is always a good thing!

This one gets a major thumbs up from me.

In the imp: MELON. Melony melon.

On skin, wet: Still melon above all.

On skin, dry: Melon, with a little touch of mint.

After an hour: Melon with a minty undertone. It's nice, but I'll have to deathmatch it with Yemaya.

It's melon for certain. In this house, there's the argument of which type of melon it is though. Half say cantaloupe, while the other half say honeydew. The oddball says watermelon, but she thinks all melons smell like watermelon. But, it is a nice soft melon that doesn't choke everyone. There's a bit of bubble feel from it too, which I think is the champagne grape on me. It fades to a light herbal scent that isn't very soapy on me like most seem to do. Worth keeping.

ETU: It seems to depend on who is wearing it in this household on the melon that shows up. The oddball wears it, and all that shows up is watermelon from start to finish. It's a nice and juicy watermelon too. But, the rest of us get either honeydew or cantaloupe, depending on the time of month.

Edited by anaengel

In the imp: Lime! It smells like lime drink crystals, with a little bubbly punch to it.

Wet on my skin: Very bright and fresh, sweet and fruity. Still lots of lime, but now a little more herby. I can't distinguish melon specifically, but I think it's adding to the sweet fruity feel.

Dry on my skin: I'm starting to pick up more of the herby notes, but it's still very bright and fun. I can't pinpoint any one note now, everything is swirling together nicely, but the fruitiness has definitely calmed down.

1 hour later: Still bright and exciting! I feel like it might be turning a touch powdery, but something in there is still keeping it sweet enough for now. Maybe the melon? Either way, I love this. It's definitely going on my "Full Sized" list :)

*I wore this again on another day and it instantly turned powdery, which was very upsetting. However, I gave the imp to my little sister and it smells incredible on her. Like Gingerale with a big splash of lime!

Edited by OhIlyra

Aaaahhhh! Get it off, get it off!

It fooled me, at first, all sweet and subtle, with tiny lime notes and a hint of florals. But then I walked into the other room and my sister (who has a sinus infection and can't smell the dog) said, "WOAH. PERFUME."

Obviously, on me, the throw is amazing. Which would be a good thing, if the notes meshed with my skin chemistry. On the commute into work, all I could smell was citrus dish soap. I've washed my hands three times and it's still chipper and persistent.

It's mellowed now (and by mellowed, I mean it has leached from my skin into my clothing) and seems to be happy as a fabric softener. There is no melon, no tea, no champagne or mint. Just limes and lemon balm, mushed in with soap.

Oh, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat. I had great hopes for your green tea and melon notes. I did. But you have to leave, now. Good luck at your future home!

Edited by virusq

In the imp: Watermelon. But even though this melon is doing everything it can to smell authentic, this is a synthetic watermelon. I'm so sorry melon..I really am.

On me: Synthetic watermelon that looses it's mind and gets all crazy and candy-like on my skin. But then.. my opinions are divided.

First tryout (directly after I got it in the mail, no time for rest): The watermelon leaves the party really early and instead I get green tea & lemon, delicious! However, after an hour the scent is completely gone.

Second tryout (after one full day of resting after the journey to Sweden): The watermelon is staying a little longer, it doesn't really want to go yet, but when it does it leaves something horrific behind. A cavity inducing sweet and heavy perfume, like the cheap knockoff perfumes that you can find in supermarkets that smell like you mixed syrup and chemicals. It just doesn't want to go away! I had to wash it off pretty quickly or I would have gotten such a migraine. 00000012.gif

(Got this as a frimp with my first BPAL order - thanks muchly, Beth!)

In the imp, I get a lot of the melon and mint - yummy! I love this scent combination. I also get a little bit of the green tea; overall, it's really bright and refreshing.

Going on wet and during drydown, the mint and melon stay dominant in a very in-your-face way. The green tea note also vanishes, with the lime starting to take its place, though it's very subtle.

Dry, the mint and melon have mellowed a bit, and the lime is more apparent; I'm also getting a bit of the lemon balm, and a smidge of the grape if I focus.

I really love this scent! It's pretty and vivid and makes me happy; I can't help but smile after sniffing this. My only complaint is that on me it fades fast: an hour after application I couldn't smell the bit I'd dabbed behind my ears and I had to press my nose to my wrists to smell it there. (Not even my mother could smell it, and she's got the nose of a bloodhound, I swear.) I really do adore TTLB, though, so I think I'll add a bottle of this to my wishlist and maybe use it as a room scent or in a perfume locket. So pretty.

It took me awhile to try this one because when I smelled it in the bottle I realised that it was definitely not a scent for cold weather. Once it warmed up, I dabbed some on.

I was disappointed in Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat-- the last of the set of six samples I ordered about a month ago. Green is my favorite color and correspondingly, it would seem, I tend to gravitate towards green scents. Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat boasts of an abundance of green ingredients: melon, mint, green tea, lime and green grape among other things. The problem is that they don't blend well, at least to my nose. I found the tartness of the fruits clashing with the more astringent mint and tea elements. It sounded good on paper, but didn't work as a perfume. Oh, well!

Onto the next batch of samples. . .

At the beginning it was WHOA ALL MELON! Which was fun and bright, and certain fresh, but not at all what I would wear. On the dry down there's definitely a softer herbal scent that calms the melon down. It is still very fun though and would make a refreshing summer scent for someone who enjoys melon and fruity scents!

Imp: Minty melon. Sort of a honeydew-ish melon.

Wet: A bit of lime (my skin adores it) mixing with the melon and mint. Bubbly as well.

Drying: Fizzy fruit soda. Something lingers underneath, making it deeper and richer. I can't really decipher what it is.

Dry: Just like it is while drying: Fizzy melon-lime soda. It's bubbly, making me smile, and has my favorite note (lime!) prominent.

Verdict: What a fantastic summery scent! Definitely a keeper.

In the Imp: Melon! Lots and lots of melon. This nearly scared me of because it seemed too one note, and I'm not that fond of melon scents.

Wet: Melon, champagne grape, and something sharp. Probably the mint and the green tea.

Dry: Mostly fizzy champagne grapes, green tea, and a background of honeydew melon. I've been wanting to try melon soda, and this just makes me want some even more!

I liked this one far more than I was expecting to. Its becoming an everyday scent. I was worried that it would be too melon-y or too herbal, but its just about perfect.

Edited by January Garnet