BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

I'm afraid I don't have the answer to the ultimate forest scent, but I suspect I know who does: sarada! She is without a doubt the queen of the foresty, earthy scents and I always rely on her reviews to guide me.

Thanks! I'll have a look at her reviews. :P

Anybody have a recommendation for a rose-incense fragrance? I love all resins, too. I'm still new to BPAL and haven't yet found "my" fragrance. My fav non-BPAL is Black Aoud by Montale. Anything come to mind?

Anybody have a recommendation for a rose-incense fragrance? I love all resins, too. I'm still new to BPAL and haven't yet found "my" fragrance. My fav non-BPAL is Black Aoud by Montale. Anything come to mind?

Rose Cross or Hymn maybe? I haven't tried either of them, but they sound like what you're looking for.

I refuse to be greedy, but I'll admit it was hard to make myself post this :P

Try and find some Queen of Clubs! It's a spectacular rose-vanilla incense scent, with an undercurrent of earth and floating topnotes of pomegranate and currants. It's in my opinion one of the best scents Beth has blended to date.

Ultimate incense. Not like headshop incense, but like church incense. Like you're going into Hagia Sophia before the frickin' Ottomans did.

::is still bitter about the fall of Byzantium, even if she is not Greek, Anatolian, or southeastern Slavic in any way - Russo-Polish::

The first thing that comes to (my) mind is Pulcinella & Teresina, though that's more of a rose-resin (labdanum, I think, and there's teak and cedar in there as well). I amp the rose so it's not as balanced on me as I think it could be, but I absolutely adore it all the same. It and Lilith are tied, I think, for the best roses I've found.

Let's see. My ultimate blends.

I'm still on the hunt for the ultimate vanilla.

Black Opal! It's a beautiful, non-foody vanilla that somehow also smells like a rainy beach--without going either air freshener (like aquatics generally do on me) or cologne-y (like most ozones do).

The main thing I've been searching for is a good forest scent. There are some pine-y blends I haven't tried yet that sound good, but I'd also like more of a deciduous forest scent--green leaves, oaks and maples... I've tried some of the common recommendations, like Hamadryad and Yggdrasil, but they faded fast and didn't smell very foresty on me. Anything with much flowers or fruits, those tend to dominate the forest smells, also. I just want forest, nothing else! :D Well, a tiny bit of floral might be okay.

Any ideas for an ultimate non-evergreen forest scent?

Have you tried The Jersey Devil? It's got pine, true, but it's also got other stuff that makes it smell like so much more than just one of those little tree-shaped car air fresheners.

I'm looking for:

the ultimate honey + a hint of earthiness blend (like Honeymoon that won't cost me an arm, leg, and another leg...hehe)

the ultimate sweet snow blend with no pine whatsoever - I have snow and creamy blends but I want snow and something sweet - like sugar, tiniest hint of lime or citrus

the ultimate blend that smells like Fee but that won't cost me the above limbs (hehe)

:D

(bolding added)

Have you tried Snow-Flakes? It's completely non-pine-y, just the cool snowy, minty, creamy deliciousness. It's mostly a vanilla-mint-white musk for me.

Ultimate incense. Not like headshop incense, but like church incense. Like you're going into Hagia Sophia before the frickin' Ottomans did.

::is still bitter about the fall of Byzantium, even if she is not Greek, Anatolian, or southeastern Slavic in any way - Russo-Polish::

I haven't tried either Penitence or Cathedral, but you might want to start there. Or, if you can get your hands on any, Midnight Mass (haven't tried that one, either) or The Pit and the Pendulum (I love it--golden, churchy incense!).

I recently fell in love with the lab's dusty/paper note. Eshe, Aziraphale, and Clio are all lovely (but all in very different ways). Are there any other scents with this note?

Misk U has that dusty parchment/paper note, though it doesn't come out as clearly on everyone. Some people tend to amp the Irish coffee and/or the oak more.

Edited to fix a typo I just noticed. Oops. :P

Edited by Dymphna

I recently fell in love with the lab's dusty/paper note. Eshe, Aziraphale, and Clio are all lovely (but all in very different ways). Are there any other scents with this note?

Misk U has that dusty parchment/paper note, though it doesn't come out as clearly on everyone. Some people tend to amp the Irish coffee and/or the oak more.

Yeah, my skin does very bad things to Misk U, it was the first scent I had to wash off immediately. :P Smells great on my friend though, so at least I know how it SHOULD smell.

I'm an incense note whore and my #1 choice is Midnight Mass. It's a Yule LE, but I see it in sale posts from time to time. Cathedral and Penitence are two of my other favorites.

The Lurid Library might have that note. Check out the review here.

Edited by portalkat

I am on the search for the ultimate lilac. Of course, I'm very picky and have never really liked any lilac scent from any company I've tried. I want a lilac scent that smells like lilacs, not like a lilac perfume. *big sigh*

Actually, I may have found the ultimate lilac, and it was hiding in my imp box all this time. Dragon's Blood, believe it or not, smells like lilacs and sunshine. I've had that imp forever and never really paid it much attention until I was enabling a friend and she said, "I love this one that smells like lilacs!"

All this time, I thought I didn't like dragon's blood resin, and now I'm obessed with it. Dragon's Milk smells like honeyed vanilla with lilacs in the next room. I'm going to have to get imps of all the dragon scents, now, just to see how many of them go lilac on me. Unexpected, but very, very welcome.

Really? :D What are the notes in snake charmer? Are there even specific notes that guys drool over? Besides vanilla and pumpkin?

I'm searching for the ultimate boy magnet blend. :P Suggestions peeps?

Snake Charmer! :D

Edited by macabre_fae

"Boy magnet" really, really depends on the boy, I think -- you hear all the time that guys love vanilla (eugh...which could be why I'm always single :P), but scent preferences are really personal, and I've had wildly favorable male reactions to things as random as Black Dahlia and Frost Moon.

But! Here is an 18-page thread re: scents to attract others to get you started :D.

I'm searching for the ultimate boy magnet blend. :P Suggestions peeps?

I've heard that men are attracted to vanilla and lavender scents. You could try TKO (vanilla-lavender), if you're willing to risk putting the boys to sleep... :)

ETA:

"Boy magnet" really, really depends on the boy, I think -- you hear all the time that guys love vanilla (eugh...which could be why I'm always single :D), but scent preferences are really personal, and I've had wildly favorable male reactions to things as random as Black Dahlia and Frost Moon.

This is so true - my own boyfriend seems to like it when I wear light, springtime floral scents, for example. :D

Edited by ClareN

The ultimate boy magnet is a high ambition, I'd really be glad if I found anything that gets more than positive indifference from my boyfriend! :P

How about the ultimate "I want to jump my boyfriend because he smells so sexy" blend? :D

I am still hunting for that. Any promising candidates?

I am on the search for the ultimate lilac. Of course, I'm very picky and have never really liked any lilac scent from any company I've tried. I want a lilac scent that smells like lilacs, not like a lilac perfume. *big sigh*

Asphodel! It's in RG, and to me, it smells exactly like lilacs. Absolutely gorgeous. It's not as long-lasting on me, so I have to reapply, but it's so natural and fresh and lovely that it's definitely worth it.

Searching for the ultimate fig blend! I've tried Gomorrah and Eden, both of which I love. Gomorrah was more figgy than Eden. How do the other fig blends compare? I find myself obsessed with the Lab's fig note and must have more.

The ultimate boy magnet is a high ambition, I'd really be glad if I found anything that gets more than positive indifference from my boyfriend! :P

I get indifference and claims of allergies. He swears that there's "something" in all the scents, some common note that he's allergic to. I think it's just something in the air right now, and he's jumping on the perfume. :D

How about the ultimate "I want to jump my boyfriend because he smells so sexy" blend? ;)

Lesee.........

Crowley

Aziraphale

Dee

Juke Joint

Theodosios

Wulric

for starters. :D:)

How about the ultimate "I want to jump my boyfriend because he smells so sexy" blend? :P

Doc Constantine and Whitechapel for me.

Hmmm....

Juke Joint? I never would have thought of that...

I wanted to order one Carnaval Diabolique scent with my next order, either Genniver or Theodosius. You just tipped the vote in favour of Theodosius. If he does not like it I can still try it for myself. Or Doc Constantine? Or rather something else for me? So I can smell sexy too? Damn...

Hmmm....

Juke Joint? I never would have thought of that...

I wanted to order one Carnaval Diabolique scent with my next order, either Genniver or Theodosius. You just tipped the vote in favour of Theodosius. If he does not like it I can still try it for myself. Or Doc Constantine? Or rather something else for me? So I can smell sexy too? Damn...

Juke Joint, on me at least smells entirely like bourbon for the first few minutes, but as it starts warming up it smells just like nuzzling into a warm boy's chest and getting really comfy. :P

Doc Constantine, while nice for men, was mostly woody, and not what I think of in sexy men's scents. Theodosius on the other hand I want to find and pounce!

Me too. He says they all smell the same to him. :D He recognizes and likes Smut, though.