BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

I know how you like a good list funkmoppet, and I'm curious, what kinds of scents are you craving?

:P *cracks list writing knuckles*

The big one for me is the ultimate castle scent. One without pine, and without dragon's blood, and without food notes. I want stone and wood and tapestries. Problem is myrrh is such a good note for that, but my stupid skin won't play very nicely with myrrh.

Then there's:

Ultimate animalistic musk scent. (Some kind of Buck Moon, Coyote, Smut hybrid)

Ultimate librarian scent. (Aziraphale's the closest, and I adore it - but I'd just love one LIKE that, but with extra musk, and a touch of pipe smoke. Just a touch.)

Ultimate woodlands scent. (one without pine, with more dirt, mushrooms, mulch and light wild-flowers)

Ultimate beach scent (without sunscreen. Sand, salt and wild grasses)

Ultimate rose scent (a big ask with rose's amping tendencies on me - but I'd love a rose with wood, leather and musk that doesn't just turn into rose on me.)

Ultimate worsted wool scent. (with heather. Heavy wool laundered with a breath of heather or lavender.)

Ultimate warrior scent. (with no dragon's blood. I want salt, leather, steel and sweaty musk.)

And I'm with you on the ultimate vanilla and berry scent. Tart wild berries.

I don't ask for much. :D

These all sound good. Let me know if you find the librarian one! I was hoping Miskatonic University would be the ultimate librarian scent but it's a bit too foody. Myself, I'm looking for the ultimate cowboy/Wild West scent. My boyfriend introduced me to the love of spaghetti westerns and currently we're speeding through Season 1 of Deadwood (best thing ever, no spoilers plz). I love Roadhouse and Bordello, Tombstone is at the top of my wishlist and I'm open to trying everything with dry grass, whisky, wood and leather. I'd love more suggestions for Wild West BPALs. (I know about Dead Man's Hand but I don't think I really need to try it if it's pure leather, and hard to find.)

We need a Calamity Jane scent.

I'm also on the lookout for the perfect deep, churchy incense blend. It needs to be all serious, without a hint of hippie incense. I think it might be Midnight Mass, hope it comes back this Christmas.

Myself, I'm looking for the ultimate cowboy/Wild West scent. My boyfriend introduced me to the love of spaghetti westerns and currently we're speeding through Season 1 of Deadwood (best thing ever, no spoilers plz). I love Roadhouse and Bordello, Tombstone is at the top of my wishlist and I'm open to trying everything with dry grass, whisky, wood and leather. I'd love more suggestions for Wild West BPALs. (I know about Dead Man's Hand but I don't think I really need to try it if it's pure leather, and hard to find.)

Have you tried Western Diamondback? Yum!

These all sound good. Let me know if you find the librarian one! I was hoping Miskatonic University would be the ultimate librarian scent but it's a bit too foody.

Penny Dreadful's a pretty good library scent, even though it has florals - the wood in it makes me think of libraries. Still not a strict "library" scent, though it's one I love.

Myself, I'm looking for the ultimate cowboy/Wild West scent. My boyfriend introduced me to the love of spaghetti westerns and currently we're speeding through Season 1 of Deadwood (best thing ever, no spoilers plz). I love Roadhouse and Bordello, Tombstone is at the top of my wishlist and I'm open to trying everything with dry grass, whisky, wood and leather. I'd love more suggestions for Wild West BPALs. (I know about Dead Man's Hand but I don't think I really need to try it if it's pure leather, and hard to find.)

We need a Calamity Jane scent.

I'm also on the lookout for the perfect deep, churchy incense blend. It needs to be all serious, without a hint of hippie incense. I think it might be Midnight Mass, hope it comes back this Christmas.

Oh, we DO need a Calamity Jane scent. I'd also love a three-scent set of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". I'd love to know what "The Ugly" would smell like. :P

Tombstone is divine. And I'll also second Western Diamondback. Yummy snake oil with dry woods - it's my favourite snake so far.

Edited by funkmoppet

Ultimate rose scent (a big ask with rose's amping tendencies on me - but I'd love a rose with wood, leather and musk that doesn't just turn into rose on me.)

Haven't tried it, but I wonder if this might be Pulcinella & Teresina? The description is "labdanum, cedar, teak and red rose". I was just reading reviews and it seems to be more about the woods and resins than the rose...

These all sound good. Let me know if you find the librarian one! I was hoping Miskatonic University would be the ultimate librarian scent but it's a bit too foody.

Penny Dreadful's a pretty good library scent, even though it has florals - the wood in it makes me think of libraries. Still not a strict "library" scent, though it's one I love.

What about Dee?

MiskU is more of a coffeehouse scent, to me.

Cathedral, or the Cracked Bell?

What about Dee?

Dee is one sexy bastard - but he's not necessarily in a library for me (or trousers, for that matter :P ).

He is awesome though, and on my next bottle order.

Haven't tried it, but I wonder if this might be Pulcinella & Teresina? The description is "labdanum, cedar, teak and red rose". I was just reading reviews and it seems to be more about the woods and resins than the rose...

I have been eyeing that one now for a while. I'll see if I can nab a decant from somewhere next time I see one go up on a sale. The Labdanum is the one thing that's iffy for me in those notes.

I'm looking for the ultimate cold, sugary mint scent that doesn't fade quickly.

Try Lick It (the original -- it's LE, but you should be able to find some in swaps. Get Lick It '05, not Lick It Again, because LIA fades much faster). It's a very cold peppermint backed by a gorgeous candied vanilla musk, and it lasts forever.

Also try Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. It's not sugary, but it's a very cold mint backed by white musk (which makes it almost creamy) and a whisper of incense, and it's incredibly long-lasting for a mint scent.

Green Tree Viper is a gorgeous candied mint, but it's more of a warm mint than a cold mint to me. Still worth a try if you like mint scents, though.

Ultimate librarian literally could be Casanova, but if it's too masculine, you might want to try Clio.

I'm looking for the ultimate cold, sugary mint scent that doesn't fade quickly.

Try Lick It (the original -- it's LE, but you should be able to find some in swaps. Get Lick It '05, not Lick It Again, because LIA fades much faster). It's a very cold peppermint backed by a gorgeous candied vanilla musk, and it lasts forever.

Also try Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. It's not sugary, but it's a very cold mint backed by white musk (which makes it almost creamy) and a whisper of incense, and it's incredibly long-lasting for a mint scent.

Green Tree Viper is a gorgeous candied mint, but it's more of a warm mint than a cold mint to me. Still worth a try if you like mint scents, though.

The lab has a bottle of Lick It up on Ebay right now.

I'd like a warm, sweet amber with some musk, lilac grounded with woods and something that smells like the fabulous Good Earth's Jasmine Green Tea, very light on the jasmine.

Edited by Wildbriar

I'd like ... something that smells like the fabulous Good Earth's Jasmine Green Tea, very light on the jasmine.

I'd like this also, when I said jasmine I was thinking of Jasmine Tea, and I actually am drinking the Good Earth Jasmine Green as we speak. On me Mata Hari has some nice jasmine notes and it's what made me want the jasmine tea, and a nicer jasmine scent. I'll let you know if I find one. On my "anything that contains jasmine" list the most likely prospects for a lighter jasmine are:

Namaste

Kitsune-Tsuki

Helena

Santa Eularia des Riu

Nuit

Nyx

The Fox-Woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child

Eshe

Thalassa

The Fox Woman Kuzunoha even has white tea in it. I haven't tried any of these though, so I have not idea how the jasmine works in them.

I'm searching for the olfactory pinnacle of wanton innocence.

Suggestions, folks?

I'm assuming you've already tried Lolita and Jailbait?

Hmn, no. I'm scared to try Lolita because of the heliotrope - how apparent is it?

And I plain have no excuse for not having tried Jailbait. :P

Thanks for your suggestions!

Tombstone is divine. And I'll also second Western Diamondback. Yummy snake oil with dry woods - it's my favourite snake so far.

Really? On me it's predominately leather and snake oil, backed by what I think is the sage.

And I plain have no excuse for not having tried Jailbait. :P

There is no excuse for not having tried Jailbait. Jailbait is genius. :D

Really? On me it's predominately leather and snake oil, backed by what I think is the sage.

I get those things too, but the red sandalwood amps nicely on me, making it a woody leather blend.

The big one for me is the ultimate castle scent. One without pine, and without dragon's blood, and without food notes. I want stone and wood and tapestries. Problem is myrrh is such a good note for that, but my stupid skin won't play very nicely with myrrh.

Ultimate librarian scent. (Aziraphale's the closest, and I adore it - but I'd just love one LIKE that, but with extra musk, and a touch of pipe smoke. Just a touch.)

Ultimate woodlands scent. (one without pine, with more dirt, mushrooms, mulch and light wild-flowers)

Ultimate warrior scent. (with no dragon's blood. I want salt, leather, steel and sweaty musk.)

I'm also dying for a castle scent. :P When you find it, I'll arm-wrestle you for it...

As for librarian, have you tried Clio or Dee? They've both got a nice parchment note that reminds me of books...

Woodsy scents that I've tried and loved are Fenris Wolf, Odin, and Tristran (the first two are a bit more woody than green, but they're wonderful all the same). You might like Arkham (the Lovecraft Arkham), although it turned to rubber on me. :D

I've also just ordered Yggdrasil, which I have high hopes for.

And for warrior, I'd go with The Bloody Sword or Bed of Nails (or even The Cracked Bell), since they have a nice iron feel to them...probably wouldn't hurt to mix in a smoke scent too, like Agnes Nutter or Djinn, for that "after-battle" feel.

I want the ultimate mean scent. Something that says, "I will kill you as soon as look at you." So far Les Fleurs du Mal is the closest for me. Whip and Wanda are out because of the leather, Marquise de Merteuil is more elegant than I want, and I can't remember why I didn't like Vicomte de Valmonte, but I know that didn't work either.

I want the ultimate mean scent. Something that says, "I will kill you as soon as look at you." So far Les Fleurs du Mal is the closest for me. Whip and Wanda are out because of the leather, Marquise de Merteuil is more elegant than I want, and I can't remember why I didn't like Vicomte de Valmonte, but I know that didn't work either.

The dear Vicomte smelled like Axe on me, and while I enjoy Axe, I expect more from my bpal. Have you tried War, I haven't but your description sure fits the character.

I'm also dying for a castle scent. :P When you find it, I'll arm-wrestle you for it...

As for librarian, have you tried Clio or Dee? They've both got a nice parchment note that reminds me of books...

Woodsy scents that I've tried and loved are Fenris Wolf, Odin, and Tristran (the first two are a bit more woody than green, but they're wonderful all the same). You might like Arkham (the Lovecraft Arkham), although it turned to rubber on me. :D

I've also just ordered Yggdrasil, which I have high hopes for.

And for warrior, I'd go with The Bloody Sword or Bed of Nails (or even The Cracked Bell), since they have a nice iron feel to them...probably wouldn't hurt to mix in a smoke scent too, like Agnes Nutter or Djinn, for that "after-battle" feel.

When I find the ultimate castle scent, I shall squee with you! :D

I've tried Dee - he's very close, but I'm after something so irritatingly specific. Penny Dreadful has a library feel to it, and I adore it, but I'm still on the hunt for "the one". I will try Clio.

I like Tristran, but Fenris Wolf and Arkham both won't play nicely with my chemistry. I'm very hamstrung by what my skin will behave with. Yggdrasil is on my list, and I've got Yew Trees to try. : )

The Bloody Sword is way too sweet. I get no warrior from it at all - dragon's blood just doesn't evoke anything more than floral candy for me. Agnes Nutter is a great vetiver, but it's got no leather or musk to "sweaty man" it all up for me. ; ) Though Agnes Nutter is great for evoking iron.

The dear Vicomte smelled like Axe on me, and while I enjoy Axe, I expect more from my bpal. Have you tried War, I haven't but your description sure fits the character.

I'll second the War for a mean scent. It depends on whether you like the strong ginger note (luckily I do), but for me, War is a great "don't-fucking-mess-with-me" scent.

I love War- it's headed for my bottle list. It's a warmer scent than I'm thinking of, though (wanting a cold scent but not liking mint doesn't help things). I think what I really want is for Beth to start doing custom blends again. :P That would solve all my problems in life and I would start getting straight A's and win the lottery and lose 20 pounds without trying.

I love War- it's headed for my bottle list. It's a warmer scent than I'm thinking of, though (wanting a cold scent but not liking mint doesn't help things). I think what I really want is for Beth to start doing custom blends again. :P That would solve all my problems in life and I would start getting straight A's and win the lottery and lose 20 pounds without trying.

I can't think of anything that custom-Beth-blends wouldn't make better!

And hooray for someone else who loves War! We don't appear to be that numerous.

Definitely still looking for the ultimate peach.

The ultimate clove.

Mandarin/orange that doesn't go to candy.

Berries, same as above.

Green tea that doesn't vanish. x.x

This topic is a great idea, and it is very helpful to see all the responses and suggestions.

In recent weeks I went on a quest for the ultimate BPAL chocolate scent(s). Now to track down some other favorite fragrance notes!

Some "ultimate" scents or combinations I would like to find now would include:

a nice marshmallow or buttercream vanilla that somehow manages not to be cloying.

roses and vanilla other than Alice - there is a note in Alice (possibly the bergamot) that says "men's aftershave" and spoils the effect for me.

roses and fruit other than Persephone, which smelled sharp and sour on me.

amber and vanilla just the two, with little or no embellishment.

amber and sandalwood with few or no floral notes, please!

fruit and vanilla again, with few or no floral notes.

chocolate and musk somehow this sounds like it could work.

fruits and spices sans floral notes, vanilla and/or amber would be OK.

a very dry, spicy incense with NO green or floral notes - just woods, resins and spices.

Nothing with detectable vetiver, please!

Any suggestions on any of these would be appreciated. The quests continue!

Edited by Vanille