BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Roadhouse

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

I get a really interesting green note, not quite grassy and...beer? Something yeasty and a little bitter.

I don't know that I would wear this as perfume (a little too green for me), but man does it ever evoke a strong sensory memory. This is totally the smell of hanging out at the end of a warm summer day in someone's backyard, drinking pilfered beer. I get no sleazy quality to this at all...it's just innocent and hedonistic and cheery. Edited by Shollin

Mmm. This one's really interesting. Right out of the bottle it's a fresh, fruity scent -- quite a lot like a slice of ripe green apple. Then a sort of astringent, sweet floral kicks in, with a hint of potpourri of all things, and it smells just like Spring Rain, a Crabtree & Evelyn fragrance my mom used to love. Now I get a touch of the hops, but it smells like a nice microbrew, not crappy Bud Lite. Not getting any tobacco right now, thank goodness.

I wish the throw was better on this, but I'm really enjoying it.

Edited by sophia_helix

Roadhouse

Roadhouse is surprisingly light and fresh, no booze, just grass, herbs and dandelions, unfortionately a bit perfumey. I really liked it at first, it's quite original, but unfortionately it gets this generic schampoo freshness more and more as it dries, and also with the plastic honey note I always get with honey. Too bad.

at first: very fresh and green.

on: dandelions! this is fabulous.

1 hour later: vaguely weedy. very soft.

2 hours later: very summery. this isn't as strong as before, but it's still lovely.

overall: a definite keeper. i love the fresh smell of dandelions.

In the imp and wet on my skin the first thing I think of when I smell this is picking and eating Granny Smith apples at my aunt orchard. This is very bright green to me!

As Roadhouse dries down the apple morphs into the dandelion and the whole scent starts to warm up from the bright crisp green to warm greens of summer - dandelions, hops, and green resinous hemp.

It is about 15mins. later that I start to get a bit of booze - but just a breath and the tobacco never does show up for me. In conclusion, I think this is a great summer warm green scent and this is going on my bottles list!

Edited by Rhowan

Beer. Dandelions. Not unpleasant though, just odd. The beer goes away rather quickly, leaving weeds and dandelions.

I had this one on my wishlist for sheer novelty factory, but surprisingly, it works. I just have to put it on a half hour or so before leaving the house, or run the risk of smelling like an old beer can in an abandonded lot.

Mmmmmm -- pretty and soft, like a drowsy blonde girl.

It's delicately floral, not at all overpowering, and wears like a pretty secret on me. I very much enjoy wearing this one -- would love if the cheap beer & tobacco were just a TINY bit more prominent (they're very subtle), but regardless I like it a lot.

Disregarding the "sleazy" description, contents and name, it seems like the perfect scent to let a seven year old girl wear. Maybe that doesn't sound appealing to adults as a fragrance, but I can't think of another way to describe something this gentle that could provide delight to a wearer who doesn't want to impose a strong aroma on anyone nearby.

This is something I could wear on a near-daily basis. Floral, but not intrusive, with a dry sweetness. Lovely.

This smells like all my favorite memories. Hops, dandelions, maybe a hint of rose, green, green grass and a whiff of tobacco. Just putting it on makes me feel joyful and like I want to go roll down a soft grassy hill in the sunshine. I'm not sure I can do any better than declaring my everlasting love for this amazing scent.

Oh, and I wear it to school all the time, because Maritimers should smell like beer. :P

In the bottle: This is dandelion, but sweetened up somehow... normally I find the dandelion smell a bit bitter. Kind of a scent of apple. Really quite light and fresh.

First on: This gets more beery on, and I can actually smell the hemp. Not, um, smoked hemp, which I find kind of reeks, but the way it smells when it's not smoked. No hops in here, which is good IMHO, since hops smell pretty strong to me.

Dry: Grassy and fresh. This stuff ROXORZ! I'm keeping it!

Fresh From The Imp: Mm, dandelion. I love the smell of dandelion.

Wet On My Flesh: This is going to be one of those odd combos that I thought I'd hate, but it turns out I love, isn't it? The dandelion is still strong, and I'm waiting to see if one of the other notes pops up.

Drying Down: I must be getting the hops now with the dandelion, because what I'm smelling definitely isn't tobacco, hemp, or booze.

Hour To Integrate: I must have missed the boozing somewhere.

End Of Day/Final Report: Not at all what I expected. It's nice, but not something I'd keep.

Wow- this is not what I expected...

I know I have had an imp of Roadhouse in my posession before, but I must have swapped or given it away before I even tried it- because when I tried this today I LOVED it.

I think the description/name was what turned me off from this before. I had no real desire to smell like a roadhouse, thank you very much... I guess this fits in the the old saying, "never judge an oil by it's label"- ha.

Anyway, Roadhouse is beautifully springy on me. It starts very green and fresh on me, like your hands smelled after you made a dandelion necklace when you were little. That beautiful freshness develops a sweet note, which could be the beer (since I was looking at the description, although I wouldn't say "BEER!" when smelling it otherwise which is good because I'm really sensitive to smelling like booze)). Later it deepens and I get a hint of tobacco- not smoke, but the loose tobacco itself still mixed with a bit of greeness...

I really like this. Oh Beth, you're amazing! :P

This stays so true on me that it's almost like it's a single note... I'm not sure if it's just so well blended there aren't obvious stages or if this imp (from a lot off ebay) is just old and some of the notes have gone poof.

Either way, I love it!

Wet on skin: a sweet, sweet, floral. But not like the 'florals' I usually avoid. This is clear, green-smelling. Very early-summer-sitting-in-the-backyard-in-the-sun.

Initial Dry: My floral-amping skin goes to work, and I'm sitting inside a cloud of sweet deliciousness! This is my favorite floral note I've smelled on my skin to date. It's bright and fresh. Puts me in a good, sunny mood.

Later: Still the same scent, just lighter. It lasts a few hours before I need to reapply. And I don't hesitate to reapply :P

Final Verdict: Yeah, I love this. I can totally see this as a signature spring/summer daytime scent.

ETA: the other day I had just finished dabbing some on and somebody went, "hey... what smells like beer?" Me: "Prob'ly me!" Everyone gathered around and 2 of 5 did get a beery smell, but as the one said, "But, like... *expensive* beer." :-P So, apparently I love both beer AND tobacco notes! Go, me!

Edited by bookishgrrl

In the bottle: A summery scent, lying in the tall weeds overlooking the meadow below is the only way I can describe it.

Wet: Woah! Fresh cut grass with a honeyed tobacco note behind it.

Dry: Just when I get a little cynical about BPAL, I come across a scent that reminds me why perfume is magic. It takes me back to lazy afternoons riding with my friends and our biggest problem was who would hold the reins when we stopped at 7-11 for popsicles.

1 hour later: This scent is just so sunny, I'm knocked out by the freshness and a lovely sweet clover note creeping in now that it's made itself comfortable. This is going on the bottle list!

Okay, I didn't expect this, but I LOVE Roadhouse. LOVE. It smells just like beer when it's wet, but in this fabulous, deep, sweet way. The hops! They're so delicious! Seriously, it smells like a *really* good beer. I can also smell the weedy goodness, which becomes more prominent as the hops settle down.

Once it's dry, this is a light, weedy scent on me with a nice grounding of sweet, rich hops. Very unique, very yummy.

Frimps are marvelous things, especially when they're of scents that one would probably never try otherwise; none of the notes (barring tobacco) sounded appealing to me, so I rather ignored this one.

Trying this, it has two distinct stages for me. It's not necessarily wet and dry, but... hmm... fresh and aged?

When I put this on my skin or apply it to a fresh cotton pad in a locket, it smells almost exclusively of dandelions. It's so strong that I have to keep checking myself to be sure that I'm not covered in yellow smears. It's not something that I'd expect to like the scent of, but it's a surprisingly nice floral, very unique.

When I'm reusing a cotton pad in a locket, it smells almost exclusively of booze. Beer, specifically. Stale, warm beer. It took me the longest time to figure out what was smelling that way, as I'd associated Roadhouse with dandelions; I'd thought it was the lotion I'd put on my legs that morning, as that has a strange scent after a while. When I was still getting whiffs of it hours after the lotion had soaked in, it finally occurred to me that it was coming from my locket. Given that I'm so very not a fan of beer, it rather shocked me to discover that I liked this decidedly white-trash manifestation.

Altogether, this is definitely just what the description promises: truck stop sleaze. It's a delightfully tacky scent, and just perfect for summer.

Bottle: dandelion! - when I was a kid I'd hold one under my chin and ask if I liked butter.

Wet: dandelion and some green note I don't recognize. I'm feeling a little concerned about the hops - certain varieties really bring out my allergies and asthma. I can't drink Bell's (local microbrewery) beer without having an asthma attack - I think it must be the hops variety they use. (I can drink the stout. damn good thing - I like stout!)

Dry: not getting much of the booziness, which is a good thing on me, and none of the tobacco, either, and that's another note I usually can't wear well, so I'm pleased.

Later: no asthma attack yet - and it's still very spring..dandelion and weeds needing tending and the grass needs mowing! I like this, but Emma is after it - miniature hoarder in the making.

For some reason, Roadhouse smells like apples on me. At first, there was a whiff of booze, the same booze that’s in Devil’s Night, but that vanished pretty quick leaving only apples. I like apples and actually have Verdandi, a wonderful apple-amber scent. Do I need another?

Taking a whiff from farther back, the booze makes itself known again. As it wears on, the crispness of the apples backs off a bit and is replaced by greenery – hello dandelion! Overall, this is a wonderfully green, fresh scent. It would be perfect for summer days and probably not so good for work. Very nice!

Looks like I'm basically reiterating what everyone else has said: This smells exactly like dandelions. I didn't even know I knew what dandelions smelled like! But this is it. It makes me think of a hot day, late summer. It has kind of a sick sweetness on top of it-- like on a day that has gotten so hot the air itself almost seems as if it's gone sour. My mom says I smell like beer when I wear it-- but I don't smell that.

Roadhouse makes me happy. Its weedy sappy little voice reminds me of how much fun it is to work in my garden and deadhead my flowers. This is so perfect for the summer - if I had a choice of riding "House" or wearing this it would be a no-brainer. I will buy these imps some real estate and move them into a 2ml and even carry them across the threshold.

This one is...it really makes me feel happy. Is it supposed to do that?

There's a funny note to it that makes me think of hops, you know the stuff that goes in beer? But it's not fermented and sour, just sort of ...like grass clippings. It's also sweeter than I expected and man, I just really like it on me. Sorry I can't give a better review but, I was honestly caught by surprise with it.

somehow i'd managed to not notice this scent before... and the other night i made a mental note to add it to my mega 10mL bottle purchase list...unsniffed

and today -- i was gifted an imp of it! and wow!

sniffed from the imp: Guinness. *puRr*

on me: sun-warmed dandelions! or the way my hands smell after making a dandelion chain.

there is an odd almost rose scent wafting around somewhere (maybe somebody else's mom was sitting outside with us, while we were playing?) and a herbacious (herb-y) green note that might be BPAL hops. (different from the hops i'm used to, but similar)

happy and natural and gee, i've always secretly liked the movie Roadhouse... even if it does have Patrick Swayze in it. if it smelled like this - now i know why [=

Let me paint you a picture:

Somewhere in the California central valley, it's late summer. The hills overlooking the interstate are covered in tall, dry grass, although the fields on either side of the long, straight strip of asphalt are as green as you could want.

On one of those hills, a girl, maybe fifteen or sixteen, long limbed, tan and clad in denim cutoffs that show more than they conceal and a halter top that belongs to an era long past is sitting on the tailgate of a battered ford pickup. A young man's muttered curses interrupt her reverie, and she looks back to see only the ass of her boyfriend sticking out of the cab of the truck while he rummages around in the little stadium cooler looking for a beer.

"Where the fuck did you put my beer?" he calls out to her. He's a cowboy in the way that only Californians who have never actually been near either a cow or a horse can be. He's shirtless, glistening with sweat, and a cowboy hat perches on his head.

"Didn't bring any. Mom would have noticed," she says by way of xplanation. "Hand me the green bottle that's in there, though."

He swears again, but takes out the bottle. The girl takes the keys out of her pocket with their attached swiss army knife, botches the job of getting the cork out of the top. Bits of cork fall into the bottle, and her boyfriend snickers.

"Like to see you do a better job," she shoots at him, and takes a swig.

The girl's parents are hippies, and as such, they have hippy tastes. This bottle of wine has been sitting in the back of the fridge for years, for as long as she can remember. The label is faded; only whitish yellow splotches on a green background are left. It doesn't taste like the box wine that they normally drink. This is sweeter, like taking a mouth full of sugar and alcohol, but with a bitter aftertaste. She takes another swig to wash out the bitter taste, only to be rewarded with another flash of bitterness.

"You gonna drink all of that yourself?" he asks, pouting a little bit.

She rolls her eyes. "Here, take it. It'll get the job done."

He comes to sit next to her, the truck creaking a bit under his added weight. He takes a mouthful, swallows, spits out the cork. "Huh. Dandelions," he says, examining the bottle, and showing a level of sophistication that was, until now, completely unknown.

"What?" She looks at him like he's grown a second head. Or maybe a third one.

"It's dandelion wine." His lips twist into a smile as he pulls his girl closer. She resists for a moment until he hands the bottle back. She takes another sip, sets it on the edge of the tailgate, and kisses him fully on the mouth, letting the sweet-bitter liquid flow from hers to his, tasting his warm tongue and the tobacco swirling in it.

------------------

And this is what "Roadhouse" smells like. Dandelion wine on a hot summer afternoon. It smells like a lazy summer Sunday, of not really innocence, but a drunken naivete. It is sweet and warm, and god, I think I'm in love with it. I've been catching whiffs of it all afternoon, and it makes me want to go out and reenact the idyllic scene described above. I can't smell the sleaze [from the description]... to me, it just smells perfect.

hm at first this smells very wet to me, and boozy but not in a rum-like way. i can't quite place it. i definitely smell the dandelion as well, and now that it's dry i think i am mostly smelling the dandelion and tobacco, and the booze has evaporated. it's very dry and weedy, and now i sort of like it in a way, but i don' think it's a scent i'd wear often.

in the imp:

Oh my god oh my god. I love this. It smells exactly like laying in a field of grass and weeds and dandelions on a sunny lazy summer afternoon.

wet:

So, so, so pretty and true-to-life. The tangy dandelions, mixed with the green freshness of grass. I really don't smell any of the boozy or hemp-y notes, I wouldn't have even guessed they were there without the description!

dry:

Roadhouse is so great. It's really fresh, and summery, and green, even after it dries. It's not as sharp after a while, and I guess I can sorta convince myself that I smell the hops and tobacco, but by far the dominant notes on me are dandelion and green grass.

I don't know about this one... in the vial it smelled like dandelion and grass. I was very excited. But then on my skin it turned into the scent of Halls cherry cough drops. Odd. Now as it dries i am getting sharp greens with cough drops. Definetely not working out for me. Too, bad, I had some hope for this one.