BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Roadhouse

roadhouse.jpg

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

Now this is a unique scent. Dandelion stems and old stale beer on me. Very interesting. I can't say I don't like it, I can't say it's my new favorite, but I can say that Beth has painted a very clear picture of a roadhouse, what goes on there and how immediate it is.

The beginning is slightly nauseating fun, the drydown stays very green and a bitter green it is, too. There is a bit of cheap perfume stirred in which give it that "been there done that" kick.

I truly admire the bravado of this blend and happy I got to try it. Once again, a huge salute to Beth for bringing out a risky blend which does what it says it does. I may not want 10ml but I sure admire her for her skill with Roadhouse.

Wet in the imp and on the skin, I really like this fragrance. It's fresh, clean, light greenery. Sweetly weedy, if that makes any sense.

Once it dried, though...ugh. Stale tobacco and beer. Smells exactly like them, and is kind of amazing, but so not what I want to smell like. I had to wash it off.

It was an interesting scent experience, but not one I want to repeat.

This is a very green scent! I didn't know what was in this blend before I tried it (I hadn't even sniffed it in the bottle), and my first thought when I put it on was "garden". I was surprised that dandelion was the floral component in this because I didn't really think I knew what that smelled like, but after I read the description it made sense! I think this is what I expected Beltane to smell like.

I've had it on for about 3 hours and I'm not getting anything boozy or even tobacco-y but I'm interested to see if that'll come out more later.

This is the first catalog scent that I'm in love with. I think I'll be buying a big bottle!

Bottle (Imp): Sweet booze.

Just On: Really sweet booze.

An hour or two later: Quite sweet booze, but starting to fade.

Around 6 hours: A touch sour, boozy.

12 hours: Barely there booze.

Overall: I like it, quite a bit.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get a whiff of dandelion out of this at all. I really got almost all booze, and sweet booze to boot. In the fading I finally got a hint of sour, which I would guess as the hops, but not enough to make me dislike this one.

I got this as a frimp and wow, is it ever boozy! Reminds me of how a nicer bar sorta smells during the day. I can smell the tobacco and the weedy smell - it's actually quite fresh and pretty. I could see myself enjoying wearing this to a daytime BBQ or picnic type event. Not what I expected from the name at all!

Seems to be one of those scents you either love or hate. I love it... sharp green dandelion in the vial and for the first hour or so reminds me of the green note in rose red without the rose. I never get any hops from this, just dandelion and a touch of tobacco on the drydown making this sweet and clean and fresh. Somewhat at odds with it's name I adore this one.

what's better on a hot august day than a nice cold beer? maybe smelling like one? i can’t wait to wear this to work and have people ask me if i’ve been drinking on my lunch hour :P actually…the scent of fresh cut green grass and sunny dandelions balances out the beer smell nicely and i think this is an absolutely perfect representation of summertime.

On me, Roadhouse was all weeds and beer, which was very interesting, but not necessarily what I want to smell like. Props to Beth though, for coming up with this scent--it's very unique.

Wet: Very green dandelion. Very crisp scent. Very very green.

Drydown: The hops comes out and now I smell like a drunk dandelion.

Final Result: after about 30 minutes the tobacco smokiness comes out but there is still the greenness from the dandelion. The hops scent did not last that long.

This was a frimp from the Lab in one of my recent orders. This is a very faint, light floral with a hint of rose maybe. It begins to smell a bit soapy, herbal and there's a note of tobacco too. It really reminds me of Lush's "figs and leaves" soap. This is a very clean smelling blend overall and makes me think of the color yellow. It really reminds of some soap or shampoo from the 80's. This one is really interesting and unique but not one I need to keep.

Based on the description, not something I'd wear as perfume, but way intriguing.

In bottle: green dandelions and beer...and memories of rolling down hills as a child (just the dandelion part), college parties and family reunions.

Wet, on skin: very hopsy, green, and smoky. I like the dandelion note a lot.

Drydown: beer dumped in the grass, getting all warm and aromatic in the sun on a lazy summer day.

This is a real flashback to childhood for me, watching the adults in their lawnchairs drinking Busch and talking about home improvements. A sniff of this now and then would remind me to write my extended family and a few old drinking buddies.

This is certainly unique. In the imp and upon application, it is dandelion and alcohol and cigarettes. Smells exactly like a Roadhouse. As it dries down, it is turning into beer. It is certainly a skilful blend, and I have no idea Beth does it, but I don't really want to smell like I've spent the night boozing it up at a seedy pub, so I think I'll pass this one along.

A fresh and nice perfume with an interesting intense note that keeps it away from being too light. I smell dandelion and hemp.

It has a hippy edge to my nose, despite of not having patchouli.

Very different.

Edited by quimerula

Out of the bottle the "swirl of booziness" is the first thing that hits me. Second whiff I'm getting hemp and dandilion. Mmm. This is gorgeous.

On my skin, wet and up close this one smells pretty much as it did in the bottle. Boozy with fresh dandilion. As I pull my hand away and wave it under my nose (a bit further) all I smell is the booze. It actually smells like I've spilled some liquor on my hand :P

The dry down is a bit more floral and the booziness fades. The hemp also makes an appearance.

Overall, Roadhouse is gorgeous. I'm not sure if I want to smell like I've been doused in liqour (the boozy scent is really strong on me).

Overall I like this but I won't be needing a larger bottle.

Oh me oh my, this is a bawdy scent!

First impression: Grass. Green grass and dandilion. Not quite freshly mown grass, but more of a pile of mown grass baking in the sunshine-type of feel. It's grass, but it is a dry grassy smell. I get some of the hops underneath.

On (wet): Holy moly! Hello yummy beer smell. My skin takes the hops and booze and runs with it (yeah, like that's a surprise, ha!) I smell like Peoria, IL on a hot summer day when the brewery is working overtime. Not a bad thing, as I have very fond memories of summertime in Peoria.

On (dry): Oh HELL yeah! Where the hell was this scent when I used to go hit biker bars for cheap beer in high school?? Upon drydown, this bad boy sweetens up and the grass smell comes back as well as the hemp. The booze still lingers in the background. This scent makes my head spin. Oh wow, this is just amazing!

Overall: I'll be buying a bottle of this for next summer. Wonderful, very original blend. Far too much fun to pass up!!

This scent kicks serious ass. judas_kiss will not let me touch it so I will review my impressions of it on her.

This scent reminds me of that song "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band

"'Cause I'm a picker, I'm a grinner

I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

I play my music in the sun

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker

I'm a midnight toker

I sure don't want to hurt no one"

In The Bottle Hmm hello there "Maurice" I smell a beer note and hemp for sure. Mmm should I smoke it? :P

Wet on Skin: Decadent debauchery a true club scent in the strictest context. Very yummy. Brings on images of a rowdy dive in the middle of nowhere where you could fall in love, get in a fight, realize the meaning of life, or just get stabbed for your boots.

Drydown: Reminds me of the smell of a really great bender or party that went on for several days. I love thsi smell I connect it with my youth and all the smoking, drinking and partying. Ah the heady days of youth captured in a cute little blue bottle.

Verdict: If you haven't already... buy this scent.

I don't get any beer in this at all - or any sleaze. This is a childhood smell of dandelions and hot sun.... later a heavy rose (????) comes out and casts an old-lady pall over the original brightness, and somehow the combination is just very weird and disturbing. I wound up washing it off, not because the scent itself was unbearable, but because it was somehow emotionally upsetting.

Preconception: I figured I'd hate this. The description did not sound like something I'd want on my body. Weeds? Dust? Eyew!

In the bottle: All dandelion.

Wet, on me: DANDELION!OMGWTFBBQ!!!! Not vile, but not really all that appealing.

And then, something happened during the drydown: The dandelion smell lowered its volume and married with the hops to become a sweet and herbally scent that I really, really liked. It had almost a dusty undertone, as well.

About an hour and a half after I applied, I finally smelled the booze - almost like a sipping whiskey, sweet and smoky.

What a surprising little scent!

(I wrote this last March or so...I have that 5mL now. :P A favorite for road trips and brewfests.)

This seriously smells so good it makes me want to cry. My first thought upon smelling it was a quaint little store in the touristy little town of New Buffalo, MI. This is mostly dandelion and bitter hops on me, and a faint sweetness that might be the tobacco. Summery and fresh, girl-or-boy-next-door, pigtails and freckles, yet languid and lazy. It's stopping at dusk on a cross-country roadtrip, opening up the windows in your motel room and letting in the humid summer night, or stretching your legs at a wayside when you haven't left the car since hot sunny noontime, reveling in the cool breezes carrying the sweet smells of roadside flowers and grasses. This is amazing and comforting as I am trying not to drop out of grad school to become a truck driver. Instead I will drink beers on the porch this summer at twilight while wearing this and play my banjo and be happy and relaxed and maybe ready to write the next day. I am slightly disturbed that "truckstop sleaze" seems to be a comforting and happy, perhaps signature scent on me, but I won't question it. I will definitely be getting a big bottle for this summer because this is what I want my life to smell like.

In the imp, its grassy dandelion and tobacco and I love it. On my skin, it goes to pure BEER. I don't like beer and I wound up having to wash it off the morning I wore it because I was at work and didn't want to get in trouble

I had to try Roadhouse because of the description and the juxtaposition of notes. Tobacco wears well on me and the rest, well, with my back woods roots how could I not...

On me, Roadhouse is heavy on the booze, although I've never specifically identified it as hops, but it is a lighter note than some of Beth's other "booze" scents. And the dandelion really makes a forceful balance - this is definitely not a work scent, or a playgroup with the toddler scent, but it could be a summer bbq scent, and definitely a take on vacation scent. :P

The dandelion leaps out of the vial on this one, though it's a little sweeter than the dandelions I've smelled in real life. I get a faint whiff of booze, but otherwise, it's all greenery. As it dries, I start to smell the dryness of tobacco and hemp.

I like this scent quite a bit--it reminds me of when my family used to drive cross-country, stopping in the middle of nowhere to gas up and grab a burger. This is a sunny scent, and not altogether pretty, but it fits the description perfectly. This is another bottle I'd snag for nostalgia's sake.

In the bottle: Yum! Greenery and flowers, with a touch of hops and hemp. Weirdly, it reminds me of tea rose.

Wet: The greenness is becoming a bit bitter, exactly like dandelion leaf, and there's a sweetness that's reminiscent of dandelion flowers. Wow, that's a perfect dandelion indeed! Bravo, Beth!

Drydown: Tobacco starts pushing the dandelion to the background, and the smell is rich and sweet, not the smell of cigarette smoke but of fresh pipe tobacco. It's mixing with the dandelion flower and probably the hops. There's a vaguely boozy scent to it, but nothing heady, really.

Overall: Aww, it's 100% sweet tobacco now, maybe with a hint of hops, and that's quite a pity. I wish I could have kept it in the dandelion stage, because I liked the greenery better, but alas, my skin has other plans. It's straight up tobacco from now on. It's quite a fascinating blend, I'm not at all familiar with roadhouses because we don't have that kind of stuff where I live, but I'd always imagined these places as sleazy and stinky. Give me a roadhouse that smells like this anytime. :P

Edited by Meg

In the bottle: Strong dandelion, with a faint whiff of tobacco and something that smells like a rose.

Wet: Hops and a stronger weedy smell.

Drydown: The dandelion mellows and I can really smell the hemp now. That rose scent makes a reappearance then there's a strong earthy smell--literally, like fresh earth. The sharp notes start to fade and it settles into a gorgeous soft, powdery herbal.