BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Roadhouse

Roadhouse:

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

Initial Sniff: Mmmm... I can really smell the dandelion in this one. I can tell that there's more than that in there, but I can't pick out any other individual notes.

Wearing: When wet, the hops realllllly stand out, and the tobacco makes an appearance too. I smell like a roadhouse, and a drunk redneck spilled a beer on me. As it dries, the beer smell fades, and the dandelion again comes to the forefront.

Fina Impressions: I love the weedy drydown smell, but I will be mindful of the initial beer stank and will allow appropriate drying time if the beer smell is not desired! I am surprised by how much I love this - it's a definite keeper!

First Impression: Weeds, definitely weeds. I haven't ever been to a truck stop that smelled this pleasant.

Second Impression: The dandelion rules this scent. It brings me back to when my sister and I would pick them from the yard and bring them to mother because we thought they were flowers.

Final Analysis: The tobacco and hemp appear after a time. I don't care for the scent of this on my skin. The weeds are a bit too sharp for me.

As soon as I read the description of Roadhouse, I knew I wanted to try it, purely out of curiosity. Only Beth could throw these honky-tonk notes together and make a perfume out of it.

Dandelions straight out of the vial. Tall, overgrown dandelions with jagged leaves, with the pungent juice when you squeeze the stem. After a few minutes, the hops starts to come through. I'm surprised how strong the hops note is when the oil starts to warm up on my skin, pushing the dandelions back a bit.

The tobacco is there, but very faint on me. Not tobacco smoke, but the smell of a fresh, unlit unfiltered cigarette. I'm getting the hemp last, very dry and dusty.

Roadhouse is one of the most interesting BPAL oils I've tried so far. I don't know yet whether this will make it into my regular rotation of oils I wear often, but I admire it because it showcases Beth's artistry with unusual notes.

Wow! At first this was DANELION! Then, in about 15 minutes or so it changed to dandelion and beer. Then it changed to all beer. A weak beer, like Bud Light or something. I smelled as if I had spilled beer all over my wrist. It was pleasantly nostalgic, but because of how effectively it captured the smell of beer also slightly nauseating. I felt like I had just stumbled drunkenly into the night air after a big bingey evening.

Now it's calmed down. It's approximately 2 hours later, and it's just a really light perfumey smell. Much better than after an evening at the local roadhouse.

This really is an amazing thing to try.

I tried this on thinking of it as a doomed-to-fail experiment. I'd been having a lot of bad luck lately with certain ingredients (cherry, roses, sassafras, currant) so I had been feeling like nothing was working out. This smelled so weedy and stemmy in the bottle that I was sure it was going to be another weirdly-unsettling scent experience, kind of like when I tried on Laudanum and gave myself a terrible headache.

And then the dandelions made an appearance. I never thought of dandelions as being *sweet* but these are - the tobacco and hemp kind of undermine the bitterness that I usually associate with dandelion and add to the sweetness. It is a very hard thing to describe, but once it was dry it smelled "wet" somehow - like when you cut the stems of carnations or honeysuckle or lilies and that clear sap-liquid comes out in just one drop. I smell like that sap. I'm not a floral type of girl, but because these are stems and not flowers it works out to be a wet, sweet, green, fresh, living smell.

This is really, really amazing and beautiful.

First sniff: I’m having trouble getting a handle on Roadhouse. The immediate center is green and weedy, and there’s smoke and neon around the edges. When I opened the vial the second time, the first whiff was beer, and then it settled to the green-weediness of before.

Wearing: The first whiff on my skin is beer too, decidedly fizzy beer – and it sticks for a few minutes. If I sniff my wrists directly it’s weeds again, but the aura is beer. I put it on right before I left for work, and was very relieved when the beer-aura dried quickly to be something bright yellow-green and fizzy. Very unusual, very pleasant, and definitely something I’ll rewear.

This smells sweet and clean on my skin, A bit peppery and light. It doesnt remind me of a Roadhouse but of grannys yard and all the herbs, vegetables and weeds that float in the air towards my nasal passages. Almost tomatoey, with that dandelion perking it up a bit. This is enjoyable, I do like it, I will definatly use up my impy goodness time will tell if I want a bigger bottle. So worth a try !

:P

This is a lot lighter than I envisioned. I definitely smell the Dandelion when I first apply this scent. As it dries, the Hops are a lot more prominent. The tobacco edge reminds me a little more of "chew" than cigarette smoke. I'm a Honky Tonk girl, and love to go dancing...so this will be a must have! I'm really impressed with how Beth captured the feel of a Honky Tonk in a scent...she's amazing, as is this scent :P

At the end of the day, this has left the most amazingly, lovely scent on my skin! A smokey, spicey kind of smell that I can't quite place. I'm ordering a big bottle of this!!!

Edited by fairywingmaker

First Sniff: Woah! It smells like very very strong beer. It reminds me of the endings of a highschool party. . .after everyone has gone home and you're stuck picking up the mess.

Wet: The Dandelion note picks up a lot when its on my skin, as does the beer smell.

Drydown: Hmm, now the smell of tobacco has finally started to come out, not exactly what I want to smell like. . .

Final Thoughts: It's a very interesting creation, and in the end it's not for me. I think I'm too young for this scent, and in the end it just ended up giving me a headache.

Up for swaps!

I got my first order of imps on a Friday afternoon. I stopped by my apartment just long enough to change and freshen up before meeting a friend for drinks, and there was that glorious collection of scents, including a sample of Roadhouse. Since I was heading out to a bar, that seemed like the appropriate one to try first.

In the bottle, it was interesting: light and sharp at the same time. My first thought was, “How can weeds smell so pretty?” I put it on and could not stop inhaling my wrists. I drove to the bar, all giddy and happy and smelling myself, absolutely loving the fragrance. Unfortunately, as soon as I entered the smoky bar, I lost the scent. Maybe it blended a bit too well?

I tried it again a few days later. This time, I wore it to go book shopping. I had the same response at first. The dandelions are so wonderful, fresh and tangy and sweet all at the same time. But this time, my nose stayed fresh long enough to catch the whiff of hops – or, in my case, beer! Although I did not mind the smell itself, I was worried that people would think I drank a six-pack before heading out for the day. I certainly could not wear this before driving. If I were ever pulled over, any cop would be instantly suspicious! The beer faded in and out, and eventually the scent mellowed a bit (the tobacco and dandelion combination was lovely), but that hint of beer still makes this one I can’t wear to work. That being said, I do love this scent. It is beautiful and interesting and unique. I don’t think I’ve ever smelled anything else quite like it.

Oh, Roadhouse. Our relationship is complicated. I do love you so, and yet you defy me by insisting on making me smell like a beer-swilling floozy. I think Beth really got what she was aiming for with this one.

in the vial: Sweet dandelions. So sweet I want to eat them! :D

on my sin: Being outdoors in the summer...no beer, weed or ciggies yet...I think I smell fresh green apples and dandelions. Weird...hold up, I smell the hemp. It doesn't smell like pot smoke, but hemp necklaces...oh wait, lol, it does smell kinda like weed now, dry weed, (ahem, not that I would KNOW of such things...:snicker:) but only around the edges. I smell the beer, now, too. Lager, freshly poured. And lastly, I think I smell the ciggies, but the raisin-y smell of unlit ciggies. Basically it smells like the fresh, yummy stages of all of these things before you actually partake in them, not the stale, nasty smell we usually associate in our minds. This is a really incredible scent. However, I don't really see the point in wearing this as a fragrance, unless it's part of an ingenius plan to fool your parents into thinking, yes, you HAVE smelled like this the entire evening, lol. :D

This needs be be smelled to be believed. It's like some kind of deviant Willy Wonka experiment. :P

How have I lived so long without Roadhouse in my life?

At first, it's a superbright yellow floral, perfect first thing in the morning. As the florals calm down a little bit, I start to smell the tobacco, which is really very succulent. I love being around cigarette smoke, and it really makes me happy that it's mixed with such delicate flowers. Later, it dries down to a heady musk.

Genius name, too...

The wildflowers in the ditches, icecold lager on tap, smoking outside chatting up strangers, driving home in the dark.

Beautiful.

I'm soooo glad I have 5 whole mls of this all to myself.

My husband likes this one on me, too...and he normally doesn't really care about perfumes. He even told our cat to smell me this morning.

Roadhouse is, as others have mentioned, truly something to experience.

Dandelions, Budweiser, and a swirl of unknown perfume hanging in the shuttered air of a bar. Smells like the sweet smell on my skin after being out late on a summer night, with just a flicker of the tobacco ghosting by. The tobacco is definitely a 'secondhand' note, though. The star of Roadhouse is definitely the dandelions.

This would be a great going-out perfume. Or for winter days when I need a shot of something yellow and uplifting. I've never had dandelion wine, but in my imagination it smells like this.

Edited by LiberAmoris

I just got some Roadhouse in a swap today. From the imp, I got a strong whiff of beer but that disappeared as soon as the oil hit my skin. Then I was trying to sense the smell of a bar, with booze and tobacco, but what came to mind for me was an ice skating rink :P I went skating a lot as a kid and this was the smell I remember sitting on the benches lacing up my skates - kind of damp indoor-outdoor carpeting, the chill coming off the ice, the soda and candy smell of little kids. I think I picked up the tiniest hint of apple, but that may have been the dandelions. It settled into a very pretty, soft perfume, I never got any tobacco from this. I'll probably swap this since it's not something I'll use very often but it sure was fun to try it.

Wow, I love Roadhouse!

In the imp, I get the beer and grass really strongly, but on my skin it becomes sweet yellow dandelions. I'm a sucker for both boozy and green scents, so this is just amazing. After a while, the booze smell comes back, but I don't think it really smells like beer anymore... it just smells sweet and grassy and that gorgeous dandelion note hangs around. It makes me think of sitting on the porch on a spring evening, having a drink and feeling at peace with the world.

Big bottle!!

This was a freebie, and is something I would NEVER have considered ordering for myself, given the description. I was also really dubious about it in the bottle, and decided to try it mostly to get it over with! However, I've been pleasantly surprised. It's not obnoxious; it's a little floral, but somehow darker than the other florals I've tried, and it works surprisingly well on me. R.'s opinion was neutral. I don't think I'll be ordering a larger bottle, but I'll definitely keep the sample for occasions when I want a more "mainstream" scent rather than a food-based one.

Everyone else talks about all the different notes and how one or another comes out at different times. I'm finding that by and large this doesn't happen for me, and Roadhouse is a prime example. I couldn't smell dandelions, or beer, or booze, or tobacco/hemp. It just... is, and it pretty much stays as it is all the way from first application to hours-later. Maybe that's my lack of training in scent discrimination coming thru.

I also got this as a freebie with my last order, and would not have picked it myself based on the description but I'm so glad the lab sent it to me!

In the bottle the smell to me is loud, green, sweet and of crisp apples -(I've never smelt a dandelion so my nose says green apple)

On me the scent stays very true, apples all the way, but then softens down and I pick up the hops and a sweet smoky smell.

This is fantastic - my favourite bpal so far

*shakes fist at Belladonnastrap* Pushy wench! ^_~

To me, I much prefer roadhouse in it's 'wet' stage, when it's all sharp and spikey smelling. It's got more...depth to it.

On dry down, it's a very smooth, subtle scent which while very pretty, doesn't give me that 'DAMN, I FEEL GOOD' feeling. Smells kinda like laundry detergent almost, but in a good way

I would have never ordered this, but I was glad that it was included as a freebie in my most recent received order. As I found out with my tryst with Hollywood Babylon and Hurricane, it's often the ones you wouldn't order that really work with you.

Roadhouse in its wet stage reminds me a lot of the Hermit Tarot Oil of the Lab's, which is a good thing as it is one of my favourite oils. It has the same sort of sharpness, but the green smell in Roadhouse is far greener. I would say that the two scents are about equal in terms of lightness.

Like others, I had expected this to be a darker, more tobacco-stained scent, but for the most part I get the smell of crushed up dandelions with the smell of a bit of beer being spilled upon them. It's actually a rather pleasant smell, much to my surprise.

As it dries on my skin, the florals of the dandelion comes through and the smell gets sweeter as it loses its original wet green bite, trading it in for a softer green nibble. There isn't much of a detection of the tobacco or hemp notes, unless it's the hemp that's giving it the green smell.

I have to admit, I like this one, though on me it fades quickly, within a couple hours or so. It seems like it would be a good scent for spring or summer. I'm going to pass the imp along to a friend of mine for the holidays who might like it also. This is something I may not get a big bottle of any time in the near future, but would be nice to have around in imp form. If I find myself using the oil a lot, then I'll get a 5 ml eventually, though probably not until the weather warms up a bit. Even then I will have to do further comparison on the similarities between Roadhouse and the Hermit to see if the former is too close to the latter. Maybe it would be a fun layering experiment at some point.

It's a really great fragrance and I was really surprised at how well it came out, even though the components really evoke something out of some cheezy ZZ Top video or Hank Williams Jr album cover. On me, I get something more of a spring pixie sort of odor. Who knew?

-doreen

IN THE BOTTLE: A surprisingly fresh scent (well, surprising to me, anyway) ... I expected stuffy and late-night bar, but the dandelions gave it a real outdoors punch.

Applied only to wrists ...

WET: Field flowers and wine. Grass (the green kind, not the kind you smoke). The open road but also with that pungent hit of booze sneaking in and catching you unawares. Wild and outdoorsy.

DRYDOWN: Sadly, as it dried down so did the appealing dandelion part of it ... it became more boozy and much more fruity, less grassy and green. Like a night at a roadhouse, you start out feeling just great about it but after awhile it gives you a headache and just gets overwhelming.

I smell bright green granny smith apples... no, not the apples... just the peel (Which is what I love about this scent, it's not necessarily "sweet" but if scent could have tannin then this a perfect example.) It doesn't last as long as I'd like, but it would make a great lotion bar additive. Which I just might do this weekend..

In the vial: Pure dandelion...I never really thought about dandelions as smelling good, but this made me change my mind.

10 minutes later on my skin: The dandelion is still predominant, but now I also smell a touch of tobacco and booziness. This smells awesome! It really makes me think of some old fashioned roadhouse.

1 hour later: Still going strong! It smells almost exactly the same as it did an hour ago!

Final Verdict: This is my ultimate summer scent! It is great for a little pick-me-up in the colder months as well....

In the Bottle: Dandelion and something even sweeter. It smells really good.

On Me: The Dandelion scent is really coming out on my wrists, but there’s a much sweeter scent in the air, something boozy, but not champagne from what I can tell. Maybe it is, but the hemp is making it hard to tell. It screams of cheap wine and cigars on a dark night on a gravel parkinglot without a streetlamp to see by. Just standing out there in a short leather mini skirt and white halter top without a jacket even though you can see your breath without the cigarrets or cigars. Your face has more makeup on than Tammy Fae Baker, but that’s to cover up the bruises from the Johns that get too rough. You know the only reason why you’re here is because when the bar closes, none of these drunks want to go home alone, not a one. The bartender don’t want you in the bar unless you’re buying, or at least drinking, but you know you have to limit yourself, cause you need to be clear headed when you steal their wallet after they’ve passed out. Let them think that you’re a cheap whore, you get more than your fair share, even though you quote low. It all depends on who’s at the bar and how much they brought with them. And they still end up coming back, because you make it easy for them to go home and explain to their wives why so much money is gone. The other whores don’t realize that sometimes when a hundred bucks is missing out of a guy’s wallet, their wives can notice, but you do. That’s really why you take it all, isn’t it? A free service to your Johns. Isn’t customer service wonderful?

Yeah, a big bottle of this one despite the *ahem* colorful inspiration. This really is a great scent!

This was a gift from red_hot_mama. :P I'm glad she sent it to me, because I don't know if I would have tried it otherwise. I get so distracted by the new and shiny.

In the imp: Dandelions.

Wet: Dandelions and weeds.

Drydown: ...dandelions for the most part. After several hours, the tobacco comes out but it's so faint and so many hours later I could have easily missed it.

Final thoughts: I need to give this a few more tries. I don't understand how the only note that really came out was dandelion. No booze or anything. That's just too strange. On the other hand, it does smell like the overgrown weeds around a roadhouse so maybe my skin just messed thing up. I don't think it's really me, but maybe a few more tries will yield better results on my skin.