BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Nephilim

...Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

Another great scent that started with a gimp. Damn labbies want all my money :P

In the Bottle: Oh ho I smell tamarind in there. Having spent time in Mexico I love tamarind anything.

Wet On Skin: This is a very complex scent, maybe the most complex I have tried. There are so many levels, patchouli, frankinscense and fig oh my!

Drydown: Oh oooh oooohohohohoh this smells good! The complex nature of the scent is slightly simpler in the drydown. So good! I get mostly patchouli, vetiver, fig, frsnkinscense and tamarind. The latter is a big treat for me.

Verdict: I LOVE IT!

First on: Wow. Smelling this makes my eyes water.

It smells like fig, honey cough drops, and Vaporub. It's the menthol smell that's making my eyes water, and it has completely devoured the lovely fig. This is horribly medicinal on me. I love frankincense, patchouli, and fig. Why is this doing this to me?? I could cry.

10 minutes later. Hm. This smells interesting now, in a good way. It still has that cooling menthol bite, but it's securely in the background. Now I'm smelling something sweet and sort of fruity. It smells like a yellow/golden fruit. There's also something that smells sort of piney. More of a woods note in the drydown.

I kind of like this and I'm not even sure why. I'm not getting any of my favorite notes and I have no clue what it smells like, but it's nice. I'm finding it comforting. The drydown is something like what I'd imagine pine trees to smell like if they had sweet yellow tropical fruits on them. I wish that this had more throw, but I'll definitely be keeping my imp. *Maybe* buying a big bottle.

Nephilim

In the imp: wow. Frankincense, fig, cardamom, green herbal notes, lavender, and patchouli.

Wet on skin: I can now smell the vetiver, the spice, the resins and the fig and herbs-it's a cacophony of dark notes!

Dry on skin: this is pretty chaotic-but in a good way! This is a mad mix of frankincense, dark vetiver and patchouli, green herbs, fig, tamarind (yup, I can smell it here-it reminds me of that tamarind juice my mum used to drink!), moss and a good strong cardamom note. It's dark and sinister and very complex. But I like it!

After a while: this has got a really prominent bittersweet tamarind note with fig and strong vetiver. The frankincense and cardamom in here lightens it a touch, but overall, it's a very dark scent, almost menacing. But this isn't unpleasant-this is a very wearable scent, it's well blended, and I think it would be great on a man!

Verdict: this is a very unusual scent-dark, brooding, sinister and full of complex chaos. There are resinous notes mixed with green notes from the herbs and also the moss, a good strong cardamom, fig, patchouli and a really intense vetiver and tamarind scent. It's quite menacing, heavy and definitely not something light. While not unpleasant and very well blended-none of the notes seem to clash dissonantly-it's not really my thing. It's too dark and too masculine-and does bring back some not so nice memories of a nasty tamarind drink my mum used to force me to drink when I was young! An interesting scent experience and I'm glad I got to try it. I may give it another chance though but for now I think I'll swap it.

This was another generous gimp from the labbies.

In the imp: I get A LOT of frankencense and fig. Mostly figgy goodness.

On (wet): Helloooooo fig! This stage is very figgy. Something is lurking underneath the fig, something dark and incencey, I believe this to be the Frankencense.

On (dry down): Oh, this is just gorgeous. The fig is still the dominant note, but the other drier notes have come forward and are now making this a very dry fig. I can smell the cypress and oakmoss, the frankencense and rosemary. The tamarind lends a slightly tart note that further tempers the fig, which rounds out the scent nicely.

Overall, this is a gorgeous scent. It is not something I would wear, as it comes off very masculine on me. I have to smell this again on Bluestar. I think this would make a great scent for men who like fruit, but still want a more traditionally masculine scent. My search for a replacement for Slatkin's Abysinthe and Black Fig continues..

I don't know how to describe this one, I'm really stumped for words. Its quite heavy on me and it smells like its a deep foresty green scent, it is quite fresh at the same time as being heavy but it isn't an aqua or airy fresh. Weird.

Hmm. I'm beginning to think I may be able to determine whether or not I will like a scent from the color of the oil. I just looked at all the oil in the "keep it" section of my imp box, and they are all clear, or very pale gold.

Nephilim is a medium amber, like the syrup on flan. And it supports my thinking that I simply cannot wear patchouli and vetiver. Although I must say, that of all the blends containing patchouli that I have tried, this one came the closest to being pleasant on me. It has a strongly spicy edge to it that I almost liked.

But still. Patchouli and vetiver. So not me.

Wow, this is complex and rich!

I love patchouli blends! Combined with all the other notes, the patchouli in Nephilium takes the backseat in a big way.

This scent is so perfectly blended I can barely pick out the different notes.

This scent smells amazing on my boyfriend!

In the vial: Pine.

On the wrist: Immediate impression? Ew. Elementary school vomit mulch.

Later: Settles down a bit as the evergreen and chemical notes move to the back, but there's so much in here that I never really sense that the perfume has a cohesive personality. That doesn't sound like it makes sense, does it? Alas, I suspect this is not for me. Right now I'm batting 0 for 2 in the Diabolus lines.

Gack! Vetiver!

AND patchouli!

Sometimes life's not fair. This one kicked the crap out of my nose with the vetiver and patchouli - two scents that don't much like me anyway (that's fine I return the disfavor).

I'm sure the rest of these notes would be great if those two would just shut the heck up and let me smell them. Oh well.

first whiff from the imp this is all about pine but once applied a plethora of gorgeousness

is what this masterpiece is all about...turns much sweeter than anticipated with my chemistry

and i can detect the faintest notes of fig and patchouli.....this is an outstandingly long lasting

beauty for me as well......what can i say ???

so many bpals, so little time....*sigh*

too, too pretty :P

In bottle: Cypress! With a hint of frankincense and rosemary, very sharp and green.

Wet: Confusingly complex, hard to describe. Strong and more powdery than expected.

Dry: Gorgeous blend! The fig's sweetness comes through and tempers the sharpness, heaviness, and dryness. I really don't have the nose or the words to adequately analyze this. Very complex, warm, comforting yet stimulating. Just wonderful! :P

Sadly: It's making me sneeze and have runny nose and eyes. Probably the patchouli, even though there's the merest hint of it in here. Bloody hell, yet another one I love but can't wear! :D

I've gotten this as a gifty imp maybe...three times? I know the labbies gift at random, but I love nearly every note in this blend, including VETIVER (smooch), so I like to think that, on some level, I was meant to smell it.

I still have not bought a bottle, however, even though Nephilim is dark, chaotic, and menacing- a niche I have not yet filled. Wet, I get slightly medicinal fig-is there some eucalyptus in this? It smells like a magickal oil rather than a perfume one. I also get the slight tapestry smell of the oakmoss, or something like it.

As it dries, the fig lays on top of patchouli, and a million other smells swirl around and over. Bitter smells. Incense smells. The vetiver is, surprisingly, undetectable to my nose- NOTHING can beat the pathchouli/figgy goodness!

Does anyone remember that passage in Gaiman's Neverwhere, when Richard had to dig into the bog of the Labyrinth to find the beast statue? Nephilim conjures up that some sort of murky, foreboding, enchanted imagery. It is best for a man, methinks, but the right woman could wear this. She just needs to be a patchouli veteran, someone with a hell of a lot of time under her belt spent sniffing scents and wishing they were more primal.

First Impression: Vaseline and eucalyptus (hyssop?).

Dries down to: The same with fresh dirt on top.

Additional Comments: This oil has so many components but I don't seem to be able to pinpoint any of them. The black patchouli would be the fresh dirt, but other than that the rest just merge into oily plant compost. Frankincense, lavender and cardamom are usually good notes for me. My skins seems to amp cypress, though, and that seems to be part of the problem here - along, with the vetiver, rosemary and fig (I usually like fig but the lab's fig doesn't seem to work for me). I'm unfamiliar with hyssop but it said "minty" and/or "anise" when I looked it up, which makes sense. I can't detect tamarind or oakmoss but I think they're contributing to the "compost" feel.

Lasted: Thankfully, less than an hour.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

Vial: Strong and sharp, a hint of eucalyptus and fruity fig. What a bizarre combination. Not something I would normally care to put on my skin or smell on someone else.

On my wrist, wet: Something dry-- almost like champagne, with the earthy patchouli and frankincense all rolling around together. Odd, I associate dry with cold scents, but this is definitely warm. I can pick up that vague chocolate note that Penance mentioned, but just barely. Is there some neroli in here as well? Must be the tamarind. This is really complex and lovely.

20 minutes later: The cardamom and the tamarind are center stage now-- a bright, spicy smell that is somehow a little dark. It's almost foody, so I hope that goes away, because I'm liking this crazy blend a lot.

After an hour: The figgy/fruity is going to town, and it's not my bag, baby, although it's not too bad, if you like that kind of scent.

After 2 hours: The fruity is gently swallowed up by frankincense. This is just gorgeous. This is a warm weather scent for me, but a little dab'll do.

Fruity fig and slightly medicinal hyssop are most noticeable on my skin. The vetiver and oakmoss add their usual earthiness, and the tamarind adds a tangy note. The cardamom fades in and out. I do not smell frankincense, patchouli, lavender, or rosemary at all, but in spite of that, this is a bit too complex for me. Chaotic describes it perfectly.

i like this even though it is rather medicinal at first...then it sweets up to something kinda herby/sweet...still a little mediciny, but way tolerable...lots of throw.

This may be the exception that proves the rule, a cardamom scent that thumbs its nose in my general direction. I think the problem here is the hyssop, which smells gamey to me as a plant. For those who like “dark” scents, this is definitely one. But I'm not in the minority who worships Nephilim as heroic.

I accidentally slathered this one on. It's kind of harsh at first and astringent.

Then it's icy rosemary and cypress with a tinge of something warmer and darker underneath. The frankinsence and fig aren't showing up. Too bad as I really like those notes. It warms up after a bit. This really doesn't suit me. oh well

A beautifully blended, complex earthy/foody scent. The fig is definitely on top, followed closely by the patchouli and cypress. It's a lot foodier on me than I imagined from the description, I really love Beth's fig note. There is so much going on in this blend, it's like sniffing a decadent cook's spice cabinet over and over. Very lovely, unisex, and I imagine it's pretty long lasting judging by the ingredients. Nice!

Wet: I don't know. Menthol, mint, pennyroyal?

Later: the sinus-clearing things mellow out a bit, and I smell sweet candlewax. Scented candles, but I'm not sure what they're scented like. Is there cypress?

It's OK, but I don't really care.

Very interesting scent.

At the beginning I smell something very sweet: possibly fig, although I have smelled fresh figs before; ah, I know; it is tamarind! Tamarind and rosemary together is quite interesting, although I also smell a - medicinal? - scent tying all this together.

I love mutable scents; I do not order many of the four-line-description scents since I have an idea they are more difficult for Beth to make - however, I love the journey of changing from smell to smell that they provide.

Nephilim may see concentrated use and lots of love. I want more of it, just for the uniqueness.

In the bottle: Sweeter than I was expecting--the fig is the dominant note, but I can smell the patchouli.

Wet: Mmm, vetiver! Earthy and smoky goodness. It's a little bit minty, which keeps the oakmoss and vetiver from overpowering the scent. It smells like woody groves in the Mediterranean to me.

Dry: It's settled down into a softer scent. The minty smell has receded and the vetiver has faded somewhat, allowing the other notes to come into play. It smells of freshly cut wood and incense, with a hint of sweetness.

Later: I really like this blend. It hasn't changed much, and it's got good throw and staying power.

This'd be perfect for a cold day in autumn, because it reminds me of warm summers in Italy and Greece.

I'm a big fan of the book Many Waters, or at least I was as a kid, so I'm hoping that I'll like this one. Plus, fig!

In the vial - This IS complex. I'm really picking up fig, oakmoss and vetiver. I forgot how much I don't like that note...

Wet - Wow, rosemary just made a big enterance, a la Broadway. Drowned out the vetiver completely.

Drying - I swear, I can identify every note EXCEPT the fig and frankincense. It's damping down as time goes on, but I don't get one whiff of my figgy goodness. Poo.

Dry (30 minutes) - Headache. >_< The notes that were so very in the fore earlier have gone down beneath the frankincense and, yes, the touch of fig. But something is making my head hurt. BAD. Erk.

Overall - I actually have to say that I actively DON'T like this one. Normally, I'm more neutral or my skin is the culprit, but I just really don't like this scent. At all.

A generous frimp from the lab! I'm honestly nervous because these really aren't my kind of ntoes (except fig - I love fig!) but I'm happy to give all the scents a shot. So here I go...

In the bottle: Smells like the forrest floor. To me it smells of pine, but that's not listed. So maybe it's the vetiver? I don't actually know what that smells like.

Wet: Smells like dirt with a hint of pine. I don't know what's wrong with my nose. But it smells just like my backyard (which yes, happens to be the woods, and mostly pine).

Dry: Exactly the same as wet.

For some reason I thought this was going to be an incense scent but it's really just an earthy/woodsy one. Not bad, but still not my cup of tea.

Edited by neuilly