BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

This smelled very strongly of butter, gingerbread and chocolate in the imp, but it really doesn't work with my body chemistry. :P On, it smells like gingerbread, a sticky floral (?!?!?!?!) and bengay.

Oh, well.

ETA: I identified the culprit. Hops. :/ Edited by ladymissspyder

Wow. I was expecting this one to be more on the cocoa side, but it's more of a buttery, chocolate frosting scent instead. :P Delicious! Gluttony makes me hungry. Haha. This is THE ultimate foody scent. It's all baked goods, and yummy desserts squished down into a teeny bottle.

I'm in love with this one.

Everyone is raving about Midway, but I think Gluttony is THE BPAL foody scent.

Smells sweet in imp, like French toast covered in maple syrup. It actually reminds me a bit of Hellcat. On my skin gets a weird metallic nutty smell. I don't get any cocoa, caramel or buttery smells out of this. Then it smells like someone peed on me. Oh no! I really wanted to like this, but it isn’t working out as I had expected it to. Its actually making me feel like I have heartburn. Off to swaps!

I'm so disappointed. I figured this would be the perfect scent for me - alas, I smell no vanilla, no sugar, no caramel. Cinnamon. I smell cinnamon.

But not the delicate, wispy scent of a natural cinnamon stick, or the cinnamon-sugar of a sticky bun, no. Instead, I get nothing but the weird overwhelming unnatural cinnamon smell of those commercial "cinnamon brooms" they sell at the grocery stores. It gave me a terrible headache, and I had to wash it off right away.

So sad. :P

Gluttony:

In the bottle: Oh. My. God. This smells like the yummiest sugar cookies in the WORLD

Wet: I can totally smell the toffee. Hey, do you remember the "sugar cookie" candles at Illumination? That's what this smells like!

Drydown: It's calmed down a bit.. can still smell the toffee, and now I can get the hazelnut and vanilla. Sill don't smell the chocolate. This really makes me want sweets, though. Seems like it's a scent for a colder day. UPDATE: It smells like my vanilla caramel black tea... NUMMY.

Conclusion: keep imp, test more

Oh, dear. Gluttony immediately turned into rancid peanut butter on my skin, just like Hellcat. Except this is much sweeter. I ususally love sweet scents, the sweeter the better. But the sweetness can't cover up the bad PB thing going on here. Hazelnut = my BPAL nemesis. I was so sure I would love this, I ordered a 5ml unsniffed; my very first lab bottle order. Bad call.

My very first BPAL! I love foody scents, especially vanilla, chocolate, and spices, so I thought I'd be enraptured by this. But oddly, I can't smell the vanilla or chocolate. In fact, it almost doesn't smell foody at all to me.

It's like walking into a smoke-filled coffeehouse where someone let a pot of nut-flavored coffee get burnt and where someone else spilled a jug of spoiled molasses on the floor. Strong, smoky, bitter and too-too sweet, all at the same time.

And yet... I can't stop sniffing it! Very addicting, somehow. Oh, and contrary to what others have experienced, this makes me NOT want to eat -- fragrance-induced anorexia?! And sadly, it's now making me sneeze (in addition to making my teeth hurt). :P

I think I'll give it a try as a room fragrance, and see how that does. It's very strange how it both pulls me in and puts me off. I guess that's sin for you! :D

gluttony is NOT my kind of scent. i got it as a frimp with my last order. i sniffed the imp once and had no desire to even try it on. i got a strong butterscotch/coffee smell. i guess i don't enjoy smelling like baked goods. :P

Edited by theseagrows

Wow, this is very foody. Smells like roasted coffee, hazelnuts and dark chocolate to me. Very strong and unique. I think this would be better in a candle or as a room fragrance. This is really rich and thick smelling, so I don't want the scent on me. However, this is very beautiful in a foody-scented way.

Wow! Bold right out of the imp and right on the skin. I can smell the hazelnut, toffee, and coffee. This smells like it would be the *perfect* candle for our home. I will not wear this, but I have to use it to scent our home. YUM!

gluttony.jpg

Imp: Butter and sweet vanilla syrup. Very similar to the hazelnut candle I get at Yankee, actually. Buttercream and hazelnut. Smells delicious, but not necessarily something I wanna wear, you know?

Wet: The same as in the imp. Resisting the urge to lick my wrist. It’s an exquisitely delicious smell. SO very sweet. Praline candy shop sweet. I'm having honeymoon flashbacks (we went to New Orleans and ate ourselves silly on praline pecans.). Hubby says caramel filled donuts from krispy kreme (if they existed).

Drying: Spicy pralines. A buttery, vanilla sweet nutty spice. Like a little cinnamon in pecan pie. Mmmmmm… This makes me long for sticky sweet treats. Several hours later, this is much less sweet dessert/caramel/buttercream scent than before, and it feels nuttier. I don’t' know what else it is that I smell, its faintly spicy, and kinda green. Is this maybe the hops?

Overall: Faded, this smells just like hellcat did faded. Very interesting. And yummy. Still foody, but no longer like a food candle. Its more….savory? I don't know how to describe. I like it, though. This lasts a good 6-7 hrs and has great throw (in the beginning).

I don't quite know what to do with this one. On one hand, I think it's really interesting after the candle food part burns off. But the initial 1-2 hrs of candle shop is kinda turn off in a perfume. This could be a wonderful home scent, too. I think I'll hold onto the imp and wear it for days when we cuddle and watch movies with a cup of hot cocoa.

Edited by jewelbug

First Impression: Burnt sugar - lots of it.

Dries down to: Hot candle wax, tar and burnt sugar.

Additional Comments: This is absolutely horrible on me. I had such high hopes for this one as I love most of the notes - the only exception being the hops and that's a neutral for me - and I love foody scents. But, it seems the hazelnut and hops are the problems here. They're so strong that the chocolate, vanilla, caramel, toffee, pralines and buttercream are completely indistinguishable. It's the equivalent of taking a newly finished painting and smearing all the colors together - you're left with an unappealing, muddy, gray mess.

Lasted: Overnight and then I woke up with a headache and just had to get it off.

Rating: 1 out of 5

Hmm, can't believe I didn't review this one yet, I tried it the first time months ago. I remember that it smelled like chocolate, toffee and nuts. It smelled good, but unfortunately I found that once I got it on, I didn't want to smell like something that came out of a box of chocolates. So I stuck it in the swap box, but never got around to swapping it, so there it sat. Until a few days ago.

I decided to give it antoher shot, as it's autumn now and I'm starting to appreciate the foodier scents more. Just to be on the safe side, I put a little bit on my wrist and sniffed. It smelled the same as I remembered, toffee smothered in chocolate and hazlenuts. And I did like it, so I slathered it all over my wrists and neck.

After I had myself covered in it, it did something that it did not do last time. The hops came up, and I mean they came up and stomped everything else into submission. I could still smell the sweet candy goodness in the background, but mostly it smelled like my home brewing husband stuck a bag of hops under my nose and said "smell this!" Something I've never been to fond of. I didn't think the combination was that great, maybe if the hops hand't been so damned strong, but they were. It made me feel a little nauseaous and headachey, I had to go wash it off. Even the husband, who does like the smell of hops thought that the combination was a little sickening. Like drinking beer and eating chocolate, just not a good thing. *sigh* Back into the swap box it goes.

This starts off as a sweet candied caramel-corn sort of scent, which isn't necessarily me exactly, but is still very tasty-smelling and nice.

Like some other foody blends, though, it turns after a little while into a smell which is predominantly burnt wood. It's still not unpleasant, exactly, but I have no desire to smell like burnt wood. There's some lingering sweetness which makes me wonder if I should try this one again, but I've already tried it a couple of times and gotten the same result every time, so it's seeming like one of those that's just a near-miss.

In the bottle: Sorry to say I nearly retched on first smelling this. It smells powerfully of nuts - more like walnut than hazlenut - with some underlying sweetness. It's really overpowering in the bottle, pretty bittersweet. Someone mentioned burned sugar, and I quite agree that there's a burned element in it.

Wet: very much like in the bottle, overpowering nuttiness - I honestly considered getting rid of it before it dried because it smelled much too strong.

Drydown: with a bit of patience, the overpowering nut scent fades to give way to sweeter scents. It smells like a kind of caramel/hazelnut coffee. It's a very warm, sweet and buttery scent, you do smell the vanilla sometimes but it's rather light. It's rather well balanced, in that it smells both sweet and bitter.

Overall: I wouldn't wear it - mostly because I really hate it before drydown, and after drydown it's too "edible". It smells like sweets, or coffee, or other kinds of foods, and I'm sure that's fine if you enjoy smelling like that. Me, it just makes me feel a bit sick. I wouldn't even use it to scent the house, it's too overpowering (and several of my family members went "gack! too sweet!" when I made then sniff it).

Can we say "chocolate lover's overkill"? I was afraid this might smell too much like Bliss. Nope. Bliss smells like milk chocolate, while Gluttony is pure, dark chocolate (which interestingly enough has been shown to help depression), along with caramel and hazelnuts. I felt like I was wearing the special hot chocolate I get at my favorite coffee shop downtown. Mmm.

On me, Gluttony shows its sticky sweet side: loads of toffee, honey, vanilla, buttercream, and caramel. It smells good on me, but it's too overwhelmingly sticky sweet for me to wear.

It does, however, smell absolutely divine on my younger sister. I shall not question the scent gods.

In the imp: Sweet. Almost sickeningly so, but not sweet like cakes or candy. There's a pretty enough buttery rum in there, but something dark and wrong is hiding underneath. I almost want to say it's musk, but it smells threatening.

Wet: Still warm buttery pastries baked by Satan, but now there's gingerbread, and cookies, chocolate icing and hot chocolate piled with marshmallows. It's like the Goblin Market, only with baked goods: they all smell so tempting, but something in the smell is firmly warning me away.

Drydown: Wow, this sucker is strong! There's a note trying to come to the forefront and I definitely want to say it's musk, but not the cool white musks of the other BPAL I've tried with musk. No, this one is warm, but threatening. It smells like having a man you don't know standing behind you while you bake cookies, or having a cat that's been playing near the oven while a cake bakes come sit on your shoulder.

Later: The hops have come out now, and while I don't mind them, I think they're the source of that dangerous smell. This reminds me very strongly of my cat, I think, but not in a negative way. It doesn't smell like animals at all, and certainly not cat pee, and it smells entirely too sweet to be an accurate likeness of her scent, but nonetheless, it reminds me a great deal of her. That aside, I don't think this is a scent for me. Everyday wear would cause headaches, I think, because it's almost horrifically strong; maybe I'll break it out for foody holidays, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

ETA: It's been about two hours on me nd it's suddenly taken a turn for the faded. When I try putting my arm to my nose to see if it's still there, I get cigarettes. Not burned tobacco, but thosecheap cigarettes, like Lucky Strikes, straight out of the package. It's weird, and I don't think this will be a keeper. I've got a friend who this would be perfect for.

Edited by rinoastar

Wow, this is one potent oil!

I like the sweet honey-toffee scent at drydown, but overall, this is too buttery for me. I like gluttony in moderation (heh)--I can only handle a dab of this oil. It's definitely a glut of buttery sweetness!

Wow, this was a gimp from a forumite and I have to wonder why I never thought to try this myself.

Wet - this smells incredible. Sweet and rich and chocolatey. The perfect oil to wear for PMS! I already love it!

Dry - as it dries it becomes less sweet, and yet still rich and delicious. Chocolate is the top note here, but I can smell the other notes hanging out underneath. This smells like the most delious candy confection. I can see using this as a mood lifter in the same way that I need a piece of chocolate now and then. Most amazing of all is how long this lasts. I tried a bit, and showered about 2 hours later, which usually removes the scent. But here I am after 12 hours and I can still smell it. This never happens to me! I really enjoy this, and will definitely consider a bottle down the road. I like this much better than the similiar Hellcat.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

This was a freebie from the Lab included in one of my recent orders. Wet this is butter and maple syrup- reminds me of pancakes- yum! When first on this is syrup and sweet brown sugar but also a bit sharp like burnt sugar or yeast? After 10 minutes it develops a spicy cinnamon undertone. After about 30-40 minutes, it has a musty smell- strange. This ends up being very similar to Miskatonic Univ. on me- sweet Irish coffee. This is an interesting blend but I don't get any chocolate or nutty notes. It's too cloyingly sweet on me. Oh well.

This starts off like Sugar Skull 05 covered in chocolate. And then LOADS OF CINNAMON comes up. I still smell the sugar & chocolate, but the cinnamon is beating them off with a stick of.. cinnamon. ;_; I smell like a candle or something.

Unless this fades a bit as it dries, this might end up going to swaps. I mean.. I like it, but.. Maybe I shouldn't have slathered. :P Boo. I think it's just too strong. :D

We'll see. It's a keeper, but just barely. I might have to try it again with less um.. Slathering next time.

This was such a disapointment because I had such high hopes for it (I love the foody scents). On my first try it was all butter, which is not my friend. I dont' know why, but butter goes all ick on me. On a later try, it wasn't as bad, almost reminiscant of Devil's Night, but heavier. In the end though, its still a kind of "sick to my stomach from eating too much" scent that I'm just not fond of. Where's the chocolate and vanilla i love so much? Sob!

oh YAY! This is a foody blend that actually works on me. I recently danced in a piece about the 7 Deadly Sins (I was sloth) so I was interested to try all these. Its a little musty, but I think its the hazelnut. I'm getting all dark chocolate, praline, and hazelnut. soooo nutty.............sooooo good

I smell them all: chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel. I love it. Don't have a sweet tooth really, don't like to eat sweets, chocolate - no exception. Gluttony satisfies my need for sweetness without me having to eat anything. I need a big bottle of this. I will use it by itself and layer it under anything that is too sharp alone, like Sacred Whore.