BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

I almost didn't try this, cause in the vial it was pretty awful, just really NUTTY and that sharp, dirty-chocolate smell that I really can't stand. But I'm so glad I did, because the second it touched my skin it became creamy, creamy, creamy, and just kept getting creamier as it dried. On my skin it smelled like soft, delicate, creamy, cinnamon-sprinkled cafe au lait. It had the richest bouquet, too -- it kept getting creamier, some cinnamon came out, and even some rich white creamy florals. I didn't smell so much straight chocolate as creamy spicy coffee -- it was wonderful. It has loads of staying power, scenting my skin with sugary sweetness all day long. I already agreed to swap it away, unfortunately, but this is one that I will be looking to re-acquire in a swap because it is beautiful on me. It's so weird how it smells so bad in the vial and so lovely on. Sheer magic. I've never smelled a foody scent as rich and complex as this one.

In the bottle: Sweetness. Toffee and nuts and chocolate all rolled into one.

Wet: A weird green bitter smell (the hops?) with a little bit of nuttiness behind it. It still smells sweet, but much more muted.

Wearing: This scent wore on me very well and seemed to change. The green smell disappeared almost immediately and the nutty sweet smell dominated. Later it began to smell exactly like this flavored coffee that my husband always drinks. Later still It smelled like sugared nuts swimming in syrup. I could still smell the oil on me 12 hours later. By this point it had reverted back to the yummy flavored coffee-type smell.

Verdict: I like this scent. It morphs into so many beautiful smells on my skin if I can get past the first 10 minutes. Plus, it's very long lasting. It's a keeper.

This oil is my very first Bpal experience.

In the bottle:

As the description would suggest, this oil is sweet, but not the usual shallow, cloying sweetness of other chocolately, foody (non-bpal) scents I have tried.

Instead, it is a huge, deep, voluptuous mouthful. ‘Bloated’ indeed.

Impressions during first hour of wearing:

Although I know it's there, the dark chocolate is not the first thing I smell. Instead, the caramel and toffee seem to characterise the scent for me- along with a swirl of vanilla essence. The combination of these scents also seems to suggest coffee- not the way the coffee smells exactly, but the way coffee affects my nose.

I couldn't wear this scent on an everyday basis- it makes me feel like I have stuffed too much toffee and it is dribbling down my chin in great, shiny globules.

My eating habits would be best described as 'disordered'- and my reaction to this scent seems to embody a lot of these issues. The description itself ‘bloated’ makes me wince, and so does the sheer greediness of this scent. I deeply fear that stuffed, voluptuous, fat feeling and fresh from the vial this scent is dirty, surreptitious binge-eating in the dark. Yet I love it. And I can envisage times when I will crave it in large quantities… whilst wanting to run from it at the same time. This is truly wonderful, and yet I actually feel anxious and breathless. This is the intense guilt (and need to feel clean) which always accompanies my over- indulgence.

A few hours later:

Later on, this has mellowed into a less anxiety inducing scent. I can still smell whisps of coffee. This is now more ‘Mmm yummy!’ rather than, ‘Oh my God, what have I just done!’ I’m less bloated now, and more happily sated. Now I can clearly smell the Yankee hazelnut coffee scent that others have picked out. Since hazelnut coffee is one of my favourite drinks (and I also love the candle version) this is a winner for me. God, this is so delicious! Now I want to slather some more on!

I am flabberghasted by my first Bpal experience, and rather embarrassed by the very personal review it has caused me to write! Great, my first review and it makes me sound completely unhinged! Will all Bpal oils make lead to such self-analysis?! I’ve rarely had a scent trigger such personal associations. Wow.

This was the scent whose description made me decide to order my first set of imps...I had to see if an oil could actually smell like that.

As stated, this one is very strong and very sweet. On me the strongest impression of the wet notes is of mocha. As it dries it seems more like melted butter mixed with sugar (I made a comparison sniff check while baking) or toffee. I was hoping for more chocolate. It remains strong for a long time and its richness is both pleasant and distracting. It is not an everyday scent, but would be great fun on holidays.

WOW!

This is one of the imps I have just received as my first BPAL swaps. It is such a complex smell - and it really lives up to it's name! This is Gluttony in a bottle.

I really like it a lot. This smells of all things nice. Chocolate, caramel, hazelnut, coffee, pralines and butter. Yum!

But it is not a scent I will be wearing every day - it is for days where Gluttony is needed :P

This scent gets better on me each time I wear it. I was a little disappointed at first, because I didn't get any chocolate from it - just the caramelly, nutty praline smell. And in fact, at first sniff the nuts were overpowering. Like others have said, it can be a little overwhelming, and 'bloated' is definitely a good word - and if you don't want to smell like food, this is not the scent for you. But I love what it does on my skin; it's definitely one of my favourites so far (and not just mine - the Token Boy at our perfume party actually fell on the floor after smelling this, and then made his girlfriend promise to order it).

And I don't miss the chocolate, because that just means I can get one of the other chocolate scents without feeling like I'm duplicating myself!

at first: at first, i smell the buttercream and the thick sweetness of the toffee and caramel. after that, the chocolate rounds out the scent. disgustingly sweet, but in a good way. i want to lick my wrist.

1 hour later: still delicious. however, it's mostly buttercream, with a touch of nuttiness.

2 hours later: much darker. i think it may be some chocolate coming through. this is definitely not a celebratory sweet; it's more of a i'm-surrounded-by-too-many-overly-rich-desserts kind of sweet. i still like it, though.

3 hours later: i think this oil may be the reason i am absolutely starving. it's still dark, but the buttercream is still the most prevalent scent. now,the scent seems fuller and more stable, which i think is due to a bit of nuttiness coming through.

7 hours later: still going strong. i catch whiffs of it every now and then, and it's lovely. however, i just ate lunch a few hours ago, and now i'm starving again.

overall: this lasted...and lasted. amazing. it's incredibly foody, but nice. i didn't get any of the coffee note that some folks mentioned, which is fabulous, since i hate the smell of coffee. this would want to be ready to eat because, well, it has made me feel like i was starving all day long. i wouldn't buy a big bottle of this, but i'll enjoy inulging in the imp from time to time.

oh yum oh yum oh yummy yum yum yum!! :D Ive died and gone to scent heaven. This is the yummiest sweetest, foodiest and i wish i could lick this off my wrists scents. I smell juts like i walked into a dessert and coffee shop first thing in the morning when all the pastries, cookies and brownies are still fresh right out of the oven with the smell of hazelnut cappacino brewing in the background. What a glorious comfort scent. Im going to wear this a lot when im home. When i first put it on i had a bowl of ice cream sitting in front of me. I do admit that i got the ice creambefore i put the gluttony on but i think even if i didnt i would have immediately went for it anyhow because i know this is going to evoke major sweet cravings. Ill have to watch myself on this or else im going to be a house by christmas. Simply delicious. I have so many big bottles right now but as soon as my imp runs low i might just consider getting one, and at the least will be ordering or swapping for another imp.

Simply devine... a definate top ten. :D :D :P

This is such an overwhelmingly rich and warm scent. It's not something that I can really see myself wearing on my skin, but this one could drive me to buy an oil diffuser this Fall. If I were to wear it as a perfume, I can't help but think that it might be useful in my profession as a teacher, both to add a note of comfort to my classroom and my person, as well as perhaps bribing adolescents into compliance. :P I might like to try this one in the bath...

On me, it is like an oatmeal cookie. (If I were dieting to lose weight, I think this might make me feel full and sated, thus avoiding overeating/snacking). I can really smell the caramel coming through as it dries down. It is a bit sharp at first, and while I don't think it contains cinnamon, I almost smell a strong cinnamon note, at first.

This one makes me so ready for Fall!

Holy Toasted Hazelnuts!! :P That's what I got at first--but as soon as it starts to dry, butter and espresso come out. I don't really get much chocolate, which is probably a good thing since I would be diving head-first into the brownies if so. Instead, this makes me feel like I'm in a super-posh coffee shop--there's one here in town called Old Europe that's very elegant and fancy; we love to go there late at night. Methinks I need to go there tonight, wearing this, and have their cafe au lait and a Napoleon...

I'm completely rambling, I know, but this is so evocative--delicious but classy.

:D :D :evil: :P :D :D

I got Gluttony in a swap today(!!), so of course I had to try it out:

In the bottle: My first impression was vanilla mixed with nut with a slight herby undertone (the hops, maybe?)...didn't strike ME as being terribly foody, but my nose is weird. Mmmm.

On me: I could see what people were saying about the coffee/tobacco-y smell they were catching. The herby, green smell came forth for the first few minutes or so-- I was worried that the hops would become predominant, because I'd rather not smell like beer, but it's faded and mixed with the vanilla, nutty, cookie-like, buttery....mmm. Still green, but sweeter. Less biting. Not bad at all.

Twenty minutes later-- it's weird. The smell wafts easily-- the wafting smell is all cookie, buttercream slathered cookie with a slight hint of that chocolate (there it is!). But when I put my wrist up to my nose, I get half cookie half green herb. Weird. But fun.

I've been subjecting my boyfriend to every scent I've gotten thus far, much to his dismay. Most of the time he'll say things like "That smells nice," or "That's nasty" or "It's alright"... nothing too enthusiastically, because he couldn't really care less about perfume.

However, when I showed him Gluttony, his eyebrows jumped and he said, "Oh, I like that one. What's in it?"

I'd say him liking it enough to care what's in it is a stamp of approval.

Verdict: I'll probably use this imp up. It doesn't blow me away or anything, but it's pretty nice. Good comforting scent. Would be good for the home.

Holy sugar rush batman!

In the bottle, caramel, toffee, sugar sugar and more sugar. This smells like the interior of my kitchen after a full day of baking.

On me. Holy god what's in this thing?? I've never had a scentliterally be so sweet that it just crawls off my skin and wraps around. It's a cotton candy sweetness in a buttery, caramel form. It reminds me of the batch of caramel corn balls I once tried to make - lots of caramel, very little corn.

This is a great scent, possibly beter for a room, but it's not me. I don't mind food scents so much but smelling like a candy shop (and a very yummy sinful one at that) is not in my list of things to do. Into the swaps :P

In bottle: Delicious. Rich caramel, crisp toffee, rnchy nuts and decadent vanilla. This is a very heavy food scent.

On me: The scent stays true - strong and sugary all day long. At first I enjoyed the smell, but after wearing it for a few hours and having no change or fading I began to tire of it and it became overwhelming. I might be able to salvage it as a room scent but its so strong I'm sick of it after one day of wear.

I had read the reviews before trying this, so my impression of this was also coffee. Dark coffee, yet not bitter. Dark chocolate, yet not chalky, but the word I'm looking for isn't exactly creamy. I think, if you poured the dark chocolate from the scent, it would pour out without any traces of melted bits, but it wouldn't pour out quickly. It would be sluggishly decadent in making its way down. However, I later asked my grandmother if she liked it, and she said she did. She said it smells like something that's grilled. So now that's what I think it smells like. The burnt, sweet, dark marinade on the edges of a grilled chicken. Actually, that seems to be more of an accurate smell of Gluttony to me. It's a bit weird on me, yet I sort of like it, but still, not enough to keep it.

In the bottle: chocolate and coffee

Wet: rich chocolatey baked goods - mmm, pain au chocolat!

Dry: voluptuous slightly-burnt chocolate sweetness

Verdict: delicious, but it keeps tempting me to lick my wrists :P

I get all the notes from Gluttony except the chocolate! This is such a rich scent, it's strong and lasts all day and night. To me, it smells like freshly made caramel popcorn, yet there is something sexy and smoky underneath it all. It was one of the first 5ml I ordered, along with Voodoo, as I never want to be without it. Unfortunately, my boyfriend just hates it and so does my best friend, so I swapped a little of it away in imps because I'm afraid I won't be able to use up the bottle before it goes bad. This is one BPAL oil that evokes strong opinions and I love it :P

Wet went on smelling configurations of buttercream,pralines,halzenut,toffee,caramel with a bit of dark chocolate, this was overpowering and smelled of burnt nuts. I'm not sure what hops smells like, I didn't detect any vanilla scent . I wanted more of the dark chocolate to come out and less of the other notes. It did get lighter , it's not for me, I will use my Imp and maybe mix with other scents.

in the vial: Caramel and coffee. Nothing else. Yummy, but not something I'd like to smell like...

on my skin: A creamy praline scent shows up. I kinda smell like a Butterfinger now. :P Sweet, nutty and creamy...extremely yummy. I smell chocolate hazelnut cream and praline cream and caramel and buttercream frosting and buttery caramel poprcorn (??), all with a coffee base. This is like the impossibly sweet iced Starbucks drink with whipped cream and caramel that makes you feel bloated at just the thought of it. SOOO fucking good, though. I think that's what Beth was going for, and she's hit her mark perfectly. I love it. :D

After scrubbing Debauchery off with my fingernasils, Gluttony is the second try for today.

In the Bottle: Caramel popcorn and thick mocha coffee. Oh...no wonder people want to lick thier wrists after applying. And I don't even like coffee! Anything is better than cherry poop!

On Me: More of the vanilla and hazelnut come out when my nose is to my wrist, but the smell of warm caramel, chocolate, and coffee waft up from my wrists. This is like walking into a Starbucks during lunch and just sniffing at the coffee, or a Barney's.

This is definately the epitome of Gluttony. Slathering now, and a big bottle for me in the future!

:P

I love foody scents so Gluttony was on my must have list. It didn't disappoint when I caught a whiff of buttercream and hazelnut coming out of my imp. On my skin it turns into the most beautiful caramel, nut, chocolate mixture that I just love. It actually takes aways some of my food cravings when I wear it and my husband loves it :P . What more can I ask for?

Edited by TrayLynn

In the vial, Gluttony is very rich and decadent -- and I definitely got the Yankee Candle Hazelnut Coffee scent.

On me, all I smell is gingerbread and butterscotch with a green/herby twist. And then, right before it disappears [within two hours], it's all green/herby with a splash of dark chocolate.

I definitely prefer the scent in the bottle over what it smells like on me, alas!

First Sniff

Melting butter and hazlenuts.

Drydown

More butter and a hint of praline...  A burnt caramel smell and a bitter chocolate

hit......This one is very very strong and I only applied a little.

Final Verdict

Really not me.  At all.  I had to wash it off after half an hour, the sticky caramel/coco smell made me feel terrible...

I agree. Wanted so much to like it (thanks SO much for the imp EvilKitten!!!) - but I smelled like I was dropped head first into a vat of butter, then rolled into a hazelnut coffee candle and topped with burnt gingerbread. Now don't get me wrong! I LOVE butter, hazelnuts, coffee, toffee, popcorn, and especially caramel and chocolate - but on my skin it was overwhelmingly sweet and cloying.

Sigh. Swaptime with this one!!

Oh, gorgeous. Talk about a foody smell!

This is a Dickensian Christmas dinner with many nuts and cream and sugar treats and savory things.

Wear while reading/watching A Christmas Carol.

Oh, this stuff is goregous. It reminds me of Young's Chocolate Stout. Nutty Chocolately...beer-like. It makes me feel like a stuffed pig just sniffing it. I LOVE the malty sweetness this has......

Unfortunately Gluttony didn't work on me at all.

It actually stayed the same on my skin as it was in the vial: terribly nutty, with a strong burnt note that gave an unpleasant bitterness to the whole blend.

I have since learnt that I can only do chocolate scents when the chocolate is a supporting note, as in Kali or Velvet.