BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Seduction

Passion, sensuality, romance, sexual sensitivity.

Ylang-ylang very intense right out of the bottle; settles down to more jasmine-floral later on. If you like heavy floral, this is for you. On me, they smell about as unseductive as it can get.

I'm just trying this out as a scent right now, because.. Well, I have no one to seduce and thus do not need to feel sensual etc etc.

This goes on completely ylang-ylang and then goes directly to floral. But, it's not a bad overpowering sweet floral. It smells dark blue and stem green.

I have Fae on my other arm and they're mixing in the air by my face and oh wow. They actually smell rather lovely together. The fizzy peach in Fae mixes fabulously with the green and blue floral of Seduction.

I'm not sure how soon this is going to get eaten by my skin, but most Panacea & Somnus blends get used up pretty quickly. I think that's more because they are made to be used not to be worn (not that they can't be worn just for their pretty smells) and once they are done, they're done. Not that I'm complaining about this, mind you, because I think that's pretty neat.

Yeah, in the time it took me to write that, it's already starting to fade out a bit. Well, mellow out and become softer, at least. I have to get real close to sniff it.. when I do, though, it's all up in my nose. o_o

*swoon*

This is the most amazing scent I have ever smelled. I know *I* wanted me. I only got this on Saturday and decided that it was just too dangerous to wear unless I really wanted to be seduced or do some seducing.

I can't pick out notes very well but if that is ylang ylang then woooooweeeeee!

Darn my skin. Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine - that's all I get from this one. I can smell a note in the very background that is gorgeous, which I'm guessing is the ylang ylang of which you all speak, but the overpowering smell of jasmine isn't really letting that come through for me. Jasmine is a total headache/sneezing trigger for me, so I've failed to be seduced by Seduction. Pity. I really could use some help with the seducing.

Initially, ylang ylang.

Just after applying and for the first hour: jasmine and sweetness with a strong floral something.

After a couple of hours: started turning strange on me. It started to remind me of grass and vetiver and somethign slightly bitter.

If it hadn't made the bad turn after a couple of hours, I would say it was perfect. But alas, I can't keep it. 2 out of 5 stars.

Ylang ylang, as everybody else has noted. Sharply sweet and intensely floral. Over time, it fades to give jasmine the spotlight. Simple and sensual, but not what I would label seductive.

My head is swimming in the ylang ylang, and I love it. I also get notes of apple, oddly, and maybe the faintest hint of orange? I need a bottle of this soon, and may add it to my next order. Upon application my entire body relaxed, and I just want to curl up in a nice warm bed and dream sweet dreams of promise and romantic love. *sigh*

I've had an imp of this for a while but wasn't feeling like being put in the mood for seduction. Tonight I felt like I didn't care, so I thought the moment might have come to review it for its scent alone. :D

In the imp: people said there's ylang ylang in this, and I think that's what I smell: a bitingly sharp floral, almost glue-like.

Fresh on skin: the same. Glue. Dissolvents. Sharp, blank edges, perhaps some mint or liquorice. Ylang ylang, mint and liquroice. And chocolate? God, no, my nose must be crazy, this is a confusing scent. Soft but... huuuh! Biting and strong. Somehow psychedelic. I think, it's making me feel high. Yes, I do feel weird now. Sort of dizzy.

Drying: it's turning softer. Vanilla or strawberry or something alike. Sweet and soft, maybe with sage.

This is some highly concentrated stuff. I can really feel how it's slowly unfolding, untwining, stretching like elastic woven fabric stretched into four directions.

Yes, I think the main floral is Ylang ylang, it got something from that. But Seduction to me is by no means purely floral. There's something powdery, musky, but it enters at an interesting point in here, without even scratching the even flow of that ylang scent cone. this is actually transcending fore- and background, sort of in an omnipresent way, but still in one piece, untouched by the wider structure.

It now turns a bit more plain/even. Somehow herbal. Chamomille? Something weird below. It really is similar to the smell of glue on me. Hm.

A weirdly glue-like floral scent, that is without sweetness somehow, like a floral freshness which is bitter. Maybe it IS a bit sweet, somehow, too, but bubblegummy in a way, like a mint bubblegum you've been chewing on for some time, but fresher. Rather confusing, really.

Anyway, that floralness is floating in an emptiness, which makes it incomplete but intensily rich. Like, completey transformed. As if only certain ingredients from the components of each blossom's essences had been extracted to express only one certain thing, disregarding the holistic reflection of the plant in favour of a more functional approach.

Gosh, it MUST be making me high. Just look at what kind of a review I'm composing! :P

I have to admit, I've been sniffing the spot on my wrist close continuously and probably my sinuses aren't working well anymore now. I can't quite seem to notice the scent from a distance right now. But I get the feeling like farther away it's rather like a musky strawberry vanilla with some freshness from an unusual floral to it that is actually keeping it from being cloying. I will have to wear this yet again for a whole day, I guess, to be able to make up my mind about it. Today I had been testing Silk Road before and I always find it difficult to really get into two different scents a day.

It does smell rather medicinal, almost a little bit off, sniffed close to the wrist. And to be honest, it's not only the first BPAL that made me feel stoned, it's also in terms of scent the most poisonous smelling BPAL I've tried.

I'll yet have to apply this in the morning and wear throughout a day, right now I can feel this getting a bit weaker and softer, that's about an hour wear. (I wrote half of this review in my spreadsheet in German first and then translated and expanded, that took some time.)

Edited for typos

Edited by blu°

In imp: Something vaguely musty. Ylang-ylang? Reminds me of my mom's fancy sunscreen (Bain de Soleil Orange Gelee)

Wet: Still musty, with a very faint hint of jasmine behind it.

Dry: Jasmine's coming out now, and it's a little peppery.

Verdict: Not for me, alas.

So, yesterday I decided it was high time to test this one out. DH had just gone to gate the dogs out of the bedroom, so I steathfully dabbed this onto my pulse points and hopped onto the bed in a seductive pose. I smelled a bit of jasmine and, of course, the ylang ylang. It was a warm, incensey-floral scent and I liked it a fair bit.

DH comes back to bed and we're snuggling. Suddenly he wrinkles his nose:

"What smells?"

"Oh," I say "I just dabbed on some perfume a moment ago."

He sniffs again, and scrunches up his face further. I can tell he's trying to figure out how to break something to me.

"Well, it smells like church lady." he finally announces. "Yeah. Just like sitting in church behind some lady with a big hat on."

"Oh!" I get the giggles.

Now fortunately, it wasn't entirely a buzzkill, but certainly not something that's going to work in my house. Of course, he doesn't like ylang ylang either :P

In Bottle: Sweet floral

On Skin: Well, that’s jasmine. Yes very strong jasmine which for some odd reason I usually tend to like so that’s a good thing. Also ylang-ylang… the two seem to go hand in hand. It’s a strong sweet floral and that’s all I smell… no other notes. But it’s too strong, my husband was a bit put off by this one, he didn’t think it was sexy and even thought it smelled a bit artifical and cloying. But it dries down to a much more gentle and welcoming scent. At that point he didn’t mind it… so let it settle on your skin for about an hour before “trying it out”. Overall, not really a scent I’d wear often but nice to try out. Strong throw and long wearing length.

Panacea Elixir I: Seduction - I find it very hard to believe that this scent seduces anyone! While it’s not an entirely disagreeable scent, it’s hardly sexy or pretty or attractive, either. Other reviewers note ylang ylang in it, but I got none of the bright, citrus scent that I usually get from ylang ylang. Rather, it was a soft, subtle, and slightly bitter floral scent – something along the lines of what I generally encounter with iris. I can’t help but wonder if it went wonky on me due to a hormonal issue or something. It stuck very close to my skin, with maybe 4” of throw at the very most and faded within the hour. I can’t remember if I passed it along, but if I didn’t, I suppose I might just have to give it another shot.

bottle:

floral musk

wet:

same

dry:

very jasminey, sweet floral

overall:

too floral for me

rating: 5/10

This decant is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

And my review vanished. ?!?!?

The scent is Aveda Shampure straight from the bottle. Based on my other experience with Panacea blends, I became convinced these were not meant as skin scents. And this bears that out. It is also the third of three Panacea scents that smells like Aveda Shampure.

Now, the smell of this particular shampoo isn't bad, but if you are using an oil for aromatherapeutic purposes do you want it to remind you of a hair product?

In the imp: Strong herbal and floral

Wet: Overly sweet floral. Grossness.

This was truly terrible on me. I kept waving my wrist in my boyfriend's face asking "Are you seduced yet?" But, alas, he was not.

Someone else compared this to Lush's "Flying Fox"...I'll add that it smells exactly like Lush's recently discontinued Arabian Bright hair treatment. It's an absolutely decadent blend of middle eastern herbs and spices that heightens my senses and makes me feel like a completely different person when I have it on.

I wore Seduction to a party last night, where all the men in the room turned out to be gay. But two of them dry humped me anyway, so I have high hopes for this. :P

In the imp: soapy ylang-ylang. Mrrrf.

On me, wet: nail varnish remover and ylang ylang. Oh god, this wouldn't put anyone in the mood. Augh.

On me, dry: nail varnish remover and maybe a hint of turpentine. Seriously, this isn't sexy.

Verdict: No. Just, no.

This has some of the same strong florals that a lot of the Voodoo Blends line have in them. Which is not necessarily good, as they tend to be a bit chemically on me. Also a touch of fruit in this one? Not really working for me.

Ylang-ylang. Lots of ylang-ylang. It goes kind of stale and musty on me after a while. I like ylang-ylang, but not in these quantities, and it's not seductive. Eh, seduction's one of the more individualized stimuli of the ones Panaceas cover, I think.

As I said in my review of Tarot: The Lovers, this blend, along with a lot of other blends that have a theme of love or attraction, has a lemon base. I would almost mistake this for a Voodoo Blend, as the lemon is combined with the oily, difficult to define base that is in many Voodoo Blends. In fact, this blend strikes me as a combination of Come to Me and Black Cat (which is, indeed, an interesting take on the art of seduction). As the scent dries down, my skin smells burnt. I don't know what could be doing this, but it is not a pleasing smell.

I can't place it. Jasmine? I get the feeling of a white floral but still not sure.

I actually love it because it's the first floral that I've come across that after 2 minutes doesn't start to smell like new car tires.

I do not enjoy this one at all. It is not seduction to me, all I get is an overall liniment-type impression. Maybe thats the Ylang Ylang. I'm not familiar with that, but I'm not getting any of the other scents that have been mentioned.

This one goes into the 'give to dau-in-law' group.

In the vial: Ylang ylang

On Skin: Ylang ylang with a hint of lilies

On Drydown: I get ylang ylang, a tinge of lemon and some jasmine.

Verdict: Okay, maybe I don't love ylang ylang after all. This is very very ylang ylang heavy. It's pretty but it's almost too much for me. Sad.

Oh, balls.

I bit the bullet and dropped a ton of monies on two bottles of Panacea oils with my last order, and don't like either of them.

Seduction: Wet, this is just bizarre. I'm not a girl who gets turned off by powerful florals; I like my jasmine and I even dig Voodoo blends like Follow Me Boy. But this is just rather sickening. Ylang-ylang with a frankly toxic, sickly-sweet plasticky smell. I feel like I'm being humped by a My Little Pony.

All the references in the above reviews to nail polish remover, solvents, industrial cleaners...yup, yup, and yup. Getting all of it.

With the drydown, I think I'm getting used to it, but I don't think it's getting any better. Crap! :P I'll have to sell this one on.

ETA: Okay, after waiting fully 30-40 minutes, it finally seems to have settled a little and now smells slightly candy-ish. Not a favourite, but not something I want to flee from, either. We'll see how it works when the boy wakes up :D

ETA II: The Revenge of the Son of ETA: Okay, *now* it actually smells good. Ylang-ylang candy with a faint dusting of powder underneath. While it's made this transition to smelling lovely though the throw has faded and now it's a close skin scent.

I might keep this after all. The drydown is absolute hell though.

Edited by Baitu