BPAL Madness!
ipb

Quietude

Peace, serenity, tranquility, silence.

I was lucky enough to have been in the early order list for this and have gotten one of the upgrades to 10 ML ...

I ordered this without any notes on the brave assumption and desperate hope it would be yet another perfect lavender scent and it was ...

I think either my nose is not well enough trained to be able to detect the other notes in it, or else I am so in love with lavender that once I smell that everything else falls by the wayside, but to me this is just a perfect pure lavender scent.

It's simple and fits its description perfectly.

On a scale of 1-5, a definite 5.

It's hard to do a review of Quietude, because everytime I smell it, it makes me veeerrry sleepy... :P

As others have mentioned in their reviews, Quietude is lavender with a bit of something behind it - I do smell citrus if I inhale deeply (and risk getting conked out) and I think that it is lime rather than lemon. It is a very soft and rounded scent that is relaxing and soothing.

In bottle: Definitely lavender. The lavender isn't alone by any means, but this is so well-blended that I'm not sure what the other notes are. Something green, perhaps.

On me: I do get the hints of zest and sharpness that in my mind suggest lime or lemon; I couldn't tell you which. I find this extremely relaxing; it will be perfect in an oilburner when I'm trying to get some rest. It makes me feel sleepy but it doesn't dull my mind - which I like. I remember my dreams better if I am thinking clearly before drifting off.

I don't know how Beth does it, but I put on Quietude, and I am *instantly* calmer - which is pretty impressive, given that I dont' really like lavender. This instantly zoomed up to the top of my "must have a bigger bottle now now NOW" list, and I'm hoarding my imps until I'm lucky enough to get my hands on some more.

Wearing this, burning it, spraying the room, it's all good. Whatever I try, it works like a charm.

In the vial, I get lavender and something sharp - not citrus really, just astringent.

Lavender is a so so sort of scent for me. I can handle very natural blends with lavender, but solo, it can actually be a migraine trigger for me. Quietude doesn't quite come up to that level because it is such a natural blend, but it is such a sharp, astringent blend on me that it cannot serve its purpose and has found a home with a true lover of lavender.

I will have to stick to the creamy blends for my quiet time...

On me this is lavender, lemon and something else (part of me says bergamot, but it's an instinctive guess rather than anything else). It's a softer lavender than any of the others I've tried from the lab, it's very soothing. I haven't been sleeping well recently so I'll definitely try it tonight.

Lemon.

Oh lemon you know I really do like you but you're just so persistant and loud and squeaky and happy that you drive all the other notes out of the party. While i am told Lavender stuck her head in for a visit you kick-boxed her right out the door again.

Lemon. More lemon. Yet more lemon. I like Lemon, but I don't find it soothing and sadly this never really does anything other than lemon. :P

Oh well.

I'm nearly positive that the citrus note in this is actually lemon balm. It starts out fairly straightforwad lavender, but then the lemon balm blooms and warms it up. It's very gentle, very beautiful and very calming. Not all that complex, but it does what it says, at least for me. :closedeyes:

I applied this to my wrists, chest and temples at bedtime last night. It was a very strong lavender... not much else popped out with my skin chemistry. I had a very relaxing, peaceful sleep with calm dreams. I woke feeling calm and refreshed, with a little bit of the scent still lingering on my skin. Very nice.

I got a bottle of Quietude because I knew I would be taking a trip to visit a friend via plane and I am not a very good flier. I have a really difficult time relaxing on flights and I thought *anything* that could help me out was worth giving a try.

Well, I don't know if it was the power of the oils or the power of suggestion, but I don't really care. Quietude is so calming and beautiful that I was able to flip through a magazine on the flight, instead of...flipping out.

Like other reviewers, I get lots of lavender and a hint of what does smell like lemon balm. I'm sure there's other notes in here, but I can't suss them out. Whatever it is, it's lovely, and it works.

The first time I smelt this in the imp, I was heartbroken. I really wanted to love it, but it made my stomach turn.

But I was determined, and applied it before bed, and it got better.

The lavender is VERY strong, but it's the kick I needed to LAY DOWN and relax. I had a great night's sleep.

I'm pleased with it. :P

Edited by arpeggiated

I've been searching for something that will help with insomnia and decided to test out Quietude. First off, it *works.* I'm instantly calmer and usually fall asleep within 15 or 20 minutes instead of 2-3 hours. This combined with coffee crudea (homeopathic sleep aid) works beautifully. I put a bit on the tip of my nose and a bit on the stuffed animal I sleep with so I can get a whiff later in the night.

In the imp: Lavender and citrus. I can't tell what kind of citrus, but the sniff alone makes me calmer.

On the skin: Lavender and grapefruit. So relaxing.

I haven't actually gotten to a drydown phase with this because I fall asleep. *grins* Since that's what I'm looking for, I'm very, very pleased. I've slept better over the last two weeks since getting the imp than I have in months.

Thank you so much, Beth!

Edited by zillah37

This one does just what it says! I can't make out exactly what is in it - perhaps some lavendar and lemon - but I know that it makes me sleep like a log! (Comatose even, when you accidentally spill 1/4 bottle all over your bedside table, hands and carpet).

Very lavender, and as was mentioned before, seems to have a lemony scent, which to me immediately suggests palmarosa!

(cymbopogon martinii!)

A very fresh lavender blend but it immediately hits centers in my brain that tell me to just not care. In a good way. I think this works better on me than Somnus for knocking me out at night. New bedtime scent...

I've been having a horrible time with my insomnia lately... so I decided to give this one a try last night. It smells like lavender and a sort of creamy lemon. It's pretty strong lavender.

Sadly, this didn't help me sleep or make me feel any calmer. Maybe my issues are just a bit too much for aromatherapy to conquer :P

This might make a nice room scent, but I don't really like lavender as a personal scent.

I both love and hate lavender - love that it helps to relax me, but hate that astringent top note, it almost smells acrid to my nose. I use Somnus as a sheet spray because it really works, but I really don't like how it smells... I just wish I'd tried Quietude sooner. I really recommend this to people who haven't had great results with the Somnium blends.

This stuff is amazing. Lavender without the part of lavender that makes it unpleasant in large doses. I can tell there are other notes but this is so smooth and perfectly blended that my nose just isn't sensitive enought to pick them out. There is just something so pure and beautiful about this one - it is almost what white light would smell like to me if white light were lavender based - it is so calming and mind-clearing at the same time. This is just wonderful - I've been on a very strict BPAL ordering budget lately, but I'm going to have to get this one next time I order. Hey, it's for my insomnia, right???

I love Quietude! It's remarkable. The last three nights (i.e. since I got the imp) it's put me right to sleep, no matter how much caffeine I've had. I won't even go near the imp during the day, lest it put me to sleep. I'm definitely going to try it next time I fly, since I don't like to fly.

The scent? Dry, herby lavender and lemon balm. I wonder, too, if Quietude contains skullcap, valerian, and/or hops. Not because I can smell them - ha! - but because those are common herbs to use for relaxation and sleep. I'd love to know. It's a strong oil, too; I put a little too much on last night and the scent was too strong. I think a small dab on throat and nose is sufficient.

Powerful.

ETA: Someone in another thread said she smells Bourbon rose geranium in Quietude, which makes sense to me. The more I use this, the more I love it!!!

Edited by Fishwomon

I get all lime and a little lavender. The lime is really taking over WAY too much and it smells like my house after its been scrubbed and mopped and smelling like clean.

It doesn't work on my skin, but I'm keeping for a baby thats on the way in case he winds up needing quieting. It does have a calming affect on me.

Note ~ I got this decant from Brumbjorn, I believe.

TMI ~ My period starts next week.

Vial ~ Lavender, perhaps, with a sharp citrus behind it.

Wet ~ Like liquid lavender soap: there's a round, antiseptic note that's -- oddly enough -- merging to sharpen the lavender.

Drying ~ Somehow, I think there's something similar to sour grapefruit behind the lavender and soap scent. The lavender is dulling down a bit -- actually, it's fading at an alarming rate -- and a light, but bitter, citrus is coming through.

Drydown ~ Wow. This is now like sniffing a delicate citrus soap that has a teeny bit of lavender to give it backbone. The citrus is neither bright and perky nor sweet and creamy -- it's a little like orange rind, but not sharp and biting.

Dry ~ It's reached a powdery stage, and enough of the lavender has returned that this is reminding me that lavender is as much a flower as it is an herb. The orange rind -- and the bitterness thereof -- keeps fading in and out.

Fade ~ A soft, powdery citrus soap memory.

Final thoughts ~ I tried this oil to ensure that I'd sleep well after a full but low-sleep weekend. I started to feel droopy after about half an hour after application, and couldn't keep up my end of a phone conversation an hour later. It could have just been exhaustion, but I think those few big sniffs of lavender may have helped, too.

5ml ~ It's nice, but I'm not in love with it. So, no.

I smell lavender and lemon. And then I pass out.

I really slathered last night, and the husband said it smelled like cake. Which sort of makes sense, as he's made lavender pound cakes with lemon icing before.

The smell to me is nothing special - but I was having a hard time getting to sleep last night and this worked wonders. My brain simply would not shut down, but after a few deep breaths of Quietude, my mind went blank and I slept hard.

Edited by Lit Chick

Oh, wow. I'm not sure exactly what's in this blend, at different sniffs, it's reminded me of lime, of lemongrass, of lavender. As it dries, however, the lavender becomes dominant, though it keeps the tart note of lime in the background.

This is definitely a soothing scent, delicate and calming. It doesn't have a strong throw, but that would defeat the purpose, I think. It's lovely.

In Bottle: Lemon water

On Skin: A very light lemon/lime, not too yellow, green or juicy. More like when you drink a glass of lemon water, a little tart but very refreshing. It reminds me of laundry, maybe a fabric softener… yes that’s it. Lavender fabric softener. I normally don’t like lavender but I know it does help me sleep if I difuse a little of it in the air. It’s nice and it does feel relaxing in small doses, maybe I could scent a sachet with it. If I breathe it in too deeply it’s a little artificial and not as nice. I’ve smelled a few other Panacea blends lately and they really are growing on me. I’m going to use this tonight before I go to sleep and see if it aids in my rest.

This is one of the few oils I can wear when I have a bad headache. It actually helps. The smell is pleasant and well-blended; the lavender in it is much softer than in the Somnium blends I've tried. It smells herbal with a hint of floral. I think I detect thyme in here. It softens and loosens me - not in a knock-you-out kind of way, just in an aaaah kind of way. Pleasant, soothing, and highly recommended.

Quietude

In the imp: lavender, and possibly geranium. A real 'aromatherapy' scent.

Wet on skin: lavender, and also a greenish herbal note. I think there's geranium here as well.

Dry on skin: ooh, this is lovely and calming. This is a lavender Panacea, but in a different way to Safari, which was darker, more intense lavender with smoky/patchouli tones. This one is lighter and gentler. I now smell something lemony here! Possibly lemon fruit or a lemon herb like verbena or balm. This adds a cheery aspect to the scent as well as a calming one, and it's always a good thing to be cheerful and calm at the same time. I get hints of green, light herbal notes here as well, and possibly a geranium note (though not as intense as some rose geranium oils I've smelt, this is a greener geranium).

After a while: the lavender and lemon fade fast. The scent remaining on my skin is very faint, but what I do get is a green herbal scent, almost like vetiver but lighter and less gritty. I also get a soft, sweet, powdery scent, like the olfactory equivalent of your hand or leg being lightly brushed by a passing kitten-gentle and ever so reassuring, but fleeting. It reminds me of a very soft vanilla marshmallowy scent. I also get remains of lemon and geranium here-but it's gentler than the heady rose geranium I'm used to.

Like most of the Panaceas, this is short lived, and is gone within a couple of hours.

Verdict: this is such a lovely, mellow lavender scent. gentler than Safari, with notes of cheerful lemon and something sweet and fluffy by the end, this is a soft lavender with herbal notes and a hint of geranium. It smells very pleasant and calming and smells nice on the skin, I'd also like to try this in an oil burner or as a lotion or in the bath. It does calm me down a lot, I think (I was really moody and grumpy earlier, but now I feel a lot more chilled) and I would love to try this as a sleep blend. the only disadvantage is that it fades fast on the skin. I do like it enough to keep my decant though.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

in the imp i get soft lavender and some green, citrus scents.

on, i get pretty strong....lemongrass? i've never smelled lemon balm, so i don't know if it could be that, but really seems very lemongrassy on me! probably a good thing, as my dh claims to dislike lavender and i've been wearing this to bed :P

and i must say, it's very impressive! even if i feel that i might have too much on my mind to fall asleep quickly, i seem to...fall asleep quickly. cool!!