BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Ghost

A thin, sinuous, creeping chill, the scent of glee-filled undeath: white iris, osmanthus, Calla lily, tomb-crawling ivy and a coffin spray of gladiolus, lisianthus and delphinium.

I would have guessed The Ghost contained violet and lavender, but after seeing the description, my predominant impression is purple bearded iris. The Ghost has a surprising amount of throw, and seems chilly and dark. It reminds me a bit of Numb and is a meh for me.

Imp: faint greeny florals

On: gentle white floral with an edge of something sharp, almost aquatic; this last fades quite a bit, leaving just the florals, a bit sweet.

Excellent.

What a lovely blend of white or pastel florals. The only note that my nose picks up instantly is the ivy. Too cool. The combination of florals seems to alternate here on me. And although I cannot get a true indication of which particular floral is at the front at any time - I can definitely notice the differences. I have a feeling that this one is going to have quite a bit of staying power.

I expected this to be much "sadder" on than it it. It has a hint of melancholy but remains hopeful if you know what I mean. Like sending someone to a better place with fond wishes.

Ok - I have decided that this one ROCKS!

Edited by buzz23666

I didn't read the description before testing this, and I could have sworn it was an aquatic. It's light, fresh, and a very happy sort of scent. Who knew it was a floral? I don't even like florals, but this is OMG fantastic! It smells very green, which may be what saves the flowers from becoming too sweet.

:P

Wishlist!

The Ghost-

In Bottle: A plummy-berry hot/cool scent.

Wet: More of a fruity floral scent now.

Dry: This really is a "fruity floral"; it is hard to get more descriptive than that on it. It is a hot ozone-y floral which I don't always prefer--well, let's just say it's conditional. I don't think this scent quite makes "conditional" for me; it's not one I see myself returning to, though it was pretty in the bottle.

Overall: I don't think it's for me, but it might make nice sachet material.

I like this scent very much.

In the bottle: Wet floral, with a bit of sharpness

Wet: Very clean, floral without being cloying. Very feminine scent.

Dry: :P It's turned into a too-sweet plastic smell. I think that I would love this in a locket...but definitely not on my skin!

Beautiful, beautiful floral. It's the osmanthus and ivy that stay in the end, making this a wet, etheral fragrance. As it dried down, it is like a ghost or funeral floral whisper yet still clean, wet and yearning. The volume fades quickly and this becomes a skin scent; soft and carressing osmanthus.

The imp I got must have a carries perfumers alchohol in it becasue right out of the imp all I smell is alchoholl.

Upon application, however the alchohol evaporates leaving a soft and pretty white musk (very similar to the musk in Antique lace minus the sweet vanilla).

As this dries the musk is paired with a soft, girlie floral. it's not overhwelming or too strong, just a light breeze of mild smelling field flowers.

This reminds me of a bathroom air freshener.

it's pretty, pleasant smelling but just does't stand out in a crown.

The Ghost is forgettable and has a very short throw.

Edited by CourtneyLynne

White florals, mostly lily. Lily is one of the florals that tends not to agree with me, but it's not as overpowering and in your face here. This is a fairly "wet" floral, but not hothouse wet. A little heady, but not horribly so.

bottle: the last thing i expected was for a scent called 'the ghost' with a description filled with words like sinuous, creeping, coffin and tomb to smell so damn cheerful and springy, but in the bottle this is all wet, green florals

wet: oof. too bad i don't like calla lily.

dry: ooh, the ivy and (what i think is) the white iris come out and it smells much nicer.

wow. i thought i would have to swap this, but here is yet another floral that actually WORKS on me. i think it's the ivy. and possibly the sinuous, creeping thing. :P

in the bottle: A very delicate floral. I think I might smell honeysuckle?

wet: I'm barely getting any flowers at all, at first, but the ivy's coming through loud and clear. Nice. A few minutes later, and the ivy's faded away. *sad* I'm all flowery now, which isn't bad, but it's not the lovely green scent I just had. Bummer.

dry: So the Ghost settles down into a light green floral. Very pretty, I'm getting a lot of very sweet florals. Sadly, I'm only getting them when I actually smush my nose right up against my skin. Not a lot of throw, but the wear time seems pretty decent. :P

This was a total surprise for me! Didn't expect to like this at all, but it's fresh, cool white flowers. To me it smells soothing, like walking into an air-conditioned house after you've been out in a hot and sticky day. I do get a little bit of apple smell from this, but just the skin of the apple. This scent makes me feel clean, cool, and refreshed.

In the bottle – Predominantly the lily, with a touch of greeness

Wet on me – Soft, mossy – almost muddy - florals

Dry on me –Faint florals, which disappear quickly on me

Overall – Not my sort of thing, and this blend didn’t do anything to change my opinion

I oddly get white mint out of this...like the one in Utrennyaya. Strong at first but fades. Lovely group of white flowers. Somewhat sad, definitely ethereal, and so beautiful.

However, I find it rather similar to Utrennyaya which I already wear a bunch so I'll hold off on a bottle for now.

Edited by neuilly

In the imp: Floral soap

On Skin: Apple blossom? Fresh and clean floral but still soapy.

On Drydown: Still soapy but I can smell the lilies. Pretty big throw.

Verdict: This smells like soap or a detergent on me. A nice smelling soap and detergent. The hubby seems to like it but I don't quite fancy it as much.

In the imp this had a nice, soft ethereal feel to it. On my skin, however, it was just an unremarkable pale floral buried under the usual mess that my chemistry turns iris into.

It's a shame, because I adore the lab's lily scents and all the other components sounded so intriguing, but all I could get from under the iris really was 'white flowers', and the blend faded that quickly that I never got past the 'omg iris-y death!' stage. It's a shame, because everyone elses reviews made this sound beautiful.

I wear this one often. I'm a ghost tour guide in Charleston, SC. It is the perfect scent for walking through a moon-lit graveyard. It's very light and kind of eerie.

In the imp: chilly, fruity.

Wet on me: Smells a little like melon. No, let me rephrase -- it smells quite a lot like melon, sweet and almost icy-cool. Floral musk as well.

After a few minutes: Faint melon. I can feel a slight headache coming on from the florals -- this happened with Arkham too, but was much, MUCH worse with Arkham.

Drydown: Cool, slightly soapy, headache-inducing floral. It's super-faint already, and I applied quite a lot.

We might not be cut out for each other, The Ghost and I.

ETA: OK, late in the drydown, this does become a tolerable light floral; still seems melony to my nose. It's not a favourite, but I don't hate it either.

Edited by Baitu

I often like white florals, and I really like this one. The Calla lily is very pretty, and it seems like there's something faintly mossy underneath it. I guess that's the ivy? This smells so pure and innocent. Kind of floaty, too. I think people who express themselves better than I do call that "ethereal." To me, it's floaty. A bit wispy. Quite evocative of a ghost, to be honest.

I'm not sure why I don't have a bottle of this yet. Probably because it's not very strong on me. However, when I run out of White Moon I'm sure I'll want a bottle of The Ghost. I'll always want to have a beautiful white floral in my BPAL box.

Calla lily just dominates any blend on my skin, I swear. However, this blend does have one of the quickest 'blow offs' for that really strong and dominant lily note. I wish I were much, much better with my lighter florals, because I'm not going to be able to be too specific here. In the middle stage of the scent, the lily combines with some cooler floral notes. This is one of the more pleasant white florals that I have tried (I think I just don't really like tea rose as much as I thought I did, and I know white roses go very soapy on me)--it seems like a kissing cousin of The Unicorn, but the unicorn is more mossy on me, whereas this is lily with other floral notes in the background (it also reminds me of Dirty, but it is more aggressively floral, I suppose).

Very pretty, very green floral. Knock on wood, but the lily seems to be behaving herself...this might end up being a keeper, and good for spring.

THE GHOST

This is very ethereal and clean. The ivy is by far my favorite note in this. Between the ivy and the mix of white flowers this has a sort of cool, crisp, clean, transparent vibe to it. It's almost tea or linen-like, though the ivy keeps things green and grounded. After a while the iris comes out to vie for attention against the ivy. The ivy and iris begin to dominate but the other notes are not far behind. This is very ghostly, indeed.

In the imp, really green with a floral undertone.

Wet on skin, the floral starts to bloom (me + florals = yay!).

As this dries, this becomes a cousin to blends like Kindly Moon and Poisson d'Avril on me - lovely, green, fresh springy flowers. It's pale and ethereal, but also fresh and feminine on me. Not sad, at all! Pretty springy flowers! :P

In the imp: cold flowers.

On my skin: cold white flowers, and the scent promptly gets much stronger.

5 min: lilies and something sweet.

Unfortunately, by the time it's dried, the Ghost is a pale floral on me--and just a pale floral, nothing spicy or sweet or special. It's nice enough, but unremarkable, and doesn't move me the way other BPAL oils do. Swap pile.

Love and coffee,

Frances