BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

I ordered this fully expecting to dislike it -- as I don't like boozy or foody scents; I just had to have it because of its name. Four hundred divine rabbits. I have some divine rabbits living in my house too.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the imp. None of the rawness I'd expected. This is a smooth, smooth blend -- only the finest libations and offerings for the Divine Rabbits!

The cocoa is truly deep, reminding me of the Chocolate Ybarra we used to buy on day trips to Baja and savor all winter long. The wine is a fruity sweet note, tempering the uncompromisingly dark cocoa. I don't even catch the rum note, unless that's what adds a cherry edge to the wine.

I don't think I want to smell like Centzon Totochtin, but I truly savored it and I'm glad of the experience. I think it would make an excellent room scent in an oil burner, especially in the winter.

a chocolate liquor and a bloody lip. Smells exactly like the description, but I din't really care for it. The wine blends just smell TOO much like alcohol for me and I feel like I'm walking around smelling of booze... Oh well :D The cocoa in it is divine btw, just have to get rid of the alcohol...

edit: Okay it is growing on me. I WILL be keeping this imp amd I may just calll it my weekend night scent, chocolates, wine, rough sex ,oh, shudder.... Not a *nice* scent at all, not not at all :P

Edited by mmcfa2

In the vial: Espresso with a little chocolate in it. And something else, maybe the rum? Something sharp and boozy.

On the skin: The cocoa/coffee topnote is still predominant, but there are some other interesting elements as well. I smell something that I think is anise... although that isn't mentioned in the description. After about 15 minutes I start to smell the red wine more and more. And some incensey note, like a cedar incense, starts to appear.

After a few hours, I smell the cedar incense scent almost exclusively. This is a pretty long lasting blend, in the end.

I got this because it seemed similar to Intrigue, one of my favorites. I think it is like Intrigue, with liquor scents in place of the fruity notes. Not an improvement, I don't think, but then I don't like the smell of wine or liquor in general.

edited to add: I am actually growing more fond of this as the day wears on. This is a pretty intense scent on me, and I think it took a few hours for me to get into the groove with it. I like the way the incensey-ness is blending with the warm cocoa scent more and more.

Edited by fathom

OMFGDARKCOCOABOOZEBERRIES

is what my mind immediately screamed when I applied a dab and sniffed. It's an incredibly unique and evocative scent...for some reason it makes me think of dark earth rituals--this is the scent of the sacrifice on the alter of some dark primordial god.

Not something I can stand smelling for long, though :P

Ok, in the bottle it's dark and heavy.

Wet: The Mexican cocoa is very strong. Almost too strong on me.

Dry Down: The Mexican cocoa begins to fade and the wine comes to play. It also begins to smell very smokey.

Dry: Still very smokey, but something else is ligering in the back that I just can't pick out.

This isn't a scent that I would normally wear, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Centzon Totochtin doesn't want me to get too comfortable.

In the vial, I'm very unsure of the scent. It smells odd given the lab description, like some sort of nut liqueur. I put it on anyway because I'm entranced by the idea of drunk chocolate rabbits.

I just...don't know what to think. Every time I start to mellow into the lovely, spicy chocolate and wine, a metallic tang, the blood, hits my nose and reminds me that this party is dangerous. It makes me uncomfortable, but it's also what makes this scent interesting.

I probably won't be buying a big bottle of this, but I'm not sure I'll be able to give up my imp either.

In Bottle: Cocoa and wine.

On Skin: This is decadent. Dark cocoa and boozy rum and wine. This smells evil and sinister but sickly sweet. This would be a great scent for a club or fetish night… very naughty. The cocoa also gives a little of a smoky scent. I love the description of this scent… it goes perfect with this amazing blend by Beth.

In the bottle: Oh-oh, I hope that's not coffee I'm smelling...

Fresh on: I'm not thrilled with this, but let's see what happens as it dries.

Drydown: Well, it wasn't coffee. Sadly, it wasn't cocoa or wine either. The overwhelming notes in this mix are the rum (I can smell the similarity to Grog) and... MOTHBALLS. Yes, this is very much like I imagine Grog mixed with Queen would smell on me -- burnt sugar and mothballs. Dammit, I wanted to like this one so much, but I'm afraid it's headed for the swap pile.

Oh, well. This is why I buy/swap for imps rather than bottles! And "rum" has just definitely made my list of components to avoid in the future.

I get the unsweetened dark cocoa and wine notes at first and then it mellows and sweetens up a bit with the dry down with the rum comming out just a bit more.

The only other thing I can add to the previous reviews is that a sales lady was talking near me (about two or three hours after I applied) and stopped herself mid sentence two or three times and kept sniffing the air and asking what the "OMG, that's SO delicious" smell was :P

Grape and chocolate? And coffee? Interesting. As it dries, the spiced chocolate and grapey wine battle it out for dominance. I hope the chocolate emerges as the victor, but the wine adds a depth and richness. I imagine I smell some tobacco in here, too. This is wonderful! :P

:D I love Centzon Totochtin... and it, thankfully, loves my skin.

This is the most perfect scent. So luxurious and elegant and decadent. It feels and smells rich and expensive. Liquid pleasure in a bottle. It makes me dizzy with happiness :P

I was worried after reading reviews that this would smell like coffee (I never want to smell like coffee) or be too boozy. I don't get any coffee from this at all (yay!) and the rum/wine is more like rich berries or plums than it is alcohol.

And the cocoa... *dies*. It is so warm and spicy. This is rich dark cocoa. It is very chocolatey, but somehow manages to not be overly sweet or foodie. And the rich cocoa dances with the rum and deep red wine to build the most wonderful scent that I've ever worn.

This is my sophisticated scent with an evil side. I feel like it should be wearing a fur coat (with nothing underneath) and a diamond necklace. Yes yes.

:D :D

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Cocoa.

In the imp/bottle: Bitter cocoa and rum!

On skin, wet: This is dark, chalky cocoa and thick, smoky rum. After a minute or so, I start to catch the dark, spicy red wine.

On skin, dry: This dries into a dry, dark, rummy cocoa. It's very dry, and very bitter. After a few hours, it's nothing but cocoa wine!

Conclusion: I had such high hopes for this. This just isn't my bag: I have such bad luck with cocoa and rum!

Edited by Aredhel

Centzon Totochtin

It started out okish with this deep coffee chocolate berry scent. Seemed like some sort of flavored coffee blend. It reminded me a bit of the German Chocolate Cake flavored coffee I sometimes get at the place downstairs from work.

Then it got smoky. And just kept getting smokier. Right now it smells like smoke and berry jam. Mostly smoke. So much smoke that it seems like my left wrist is a smoldering pipe.

Berries and pipe smoke. I had to scrub this off.

Initial Sniff: The most bitter cocoa and rich wine.

Wearing: The wine and rum really bloom on my skin, tempering and sweetening the bitter cocoa. This is an incredibly rich, warm, deep scent. As it wears, the booziness dissipates and the cocoa sweetens just a touch, leaving a warm chocolatey scent behind.

Final Impressions: I am surprised by how much I like this. :P

Origin - imp, fresh from the lab

This smells exactly like it's description; cocoa, red wine and blood. I didn't get much rum, but that just may be difficult to distinguish from the wine. This is what I expected Dia De Los Muertos to smell like, and was disappointed when none of these notes showed up. Dry, it stays true, and is relatively long-lasting on me. I like this, but I don't love it, and it's probably not something I would wear often enough to warrant a bottle purchase.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Whoa! First whiff, and I've apparently stuck my head deep in some coffee beans! It's as if I were in a coffee shop. Whoa, again!

*snff snff*

Make that a coffee shop staffed by a load of alcoholics.

Now the rum is starting to take over, and my nose has now taken me to a pirate ship made of coffee beans floating in an ocean of rum. This, too, is staffed by a load of alcoholics.

The cocoa and the rum keep tangling with each other aboard the pirate ship of Centzon Totochtin. It's actually a bitter scent, which I wasn't expecting but I like a lot more than the chocolate I've smelled in other fragrances. Also, since I've had an allergic reaction to Spooky, which had chocolate in it, I'm pleased to note that CT is not causing me to rash out. Rather, it's making me long for some irish coffee. Or dark chocolate.

I really, really like this. It could be a good masculine scent, which I love since I'm such a fragrance cross-dresser. It's foody and boozy without being all sweet and namby-pamby pastry-like. Sugar? Who needs sugar? We've got rum that's starting to smell a little like root beer! Arrrrgh!! Hey, is that wine I smell? Pass it along, don't hog the booze! This old cocoa ship has set a course for Aztec bunny treasure!

I shall now be experimenting with rum and coffee beans while putting Centzon Totochtin on my big bottle list. The pirates approve, and so do I.

-doreen

Wet it is chocolate and rum. The dry down reminds me of the incense that they use at mass mixed with dark chocolate. Seriously, very weird but this smells like chocolate and church. In the sexiest way possible of course. Actually it smells like sex in a church. (I am so going to hell for my dirty mind :P )

In the vial this was all boozey, boozey rum with a hint of cocoa, but as soon as it hit my skin the cocoa jumped out. (Much like the Quik Rabbit, which just seems wrong somehow.)

A few minutes later and it's bitter-sweet cocoa, a fruity wine, and an underlying spice. The warmth of the scent is what it reminding me of the blood, but I do get a rich, warm, blood sense, if not a blood scent.

Perfectly evocative, maybe not a summer scent, but I'll definitely keep it around.

In the bottle: Tobacco - not cigarettes, but one of those pipe tobacco stores

On me: The rum and chocolate come out to play making for a pretty complex scent. This is pretty masculine, but I will probably wear it occasionally anyway. I'll have to try it on the spouse.

he mostly likes aquatics, so I'm not sure what he'll think.

WOW!

This really is something quite special and unique.

dark dry bitter bitter cocoa

this makes me think of those lovely truffle chocolates that are rolled in cocoa powder. yummy. in a very grown up, and not at all sweet way.

the other notes in it come through a little later, and soften the cocoa just a little, very delicately sweetening it.

but still bitter bitter bitter.

I'm one of those perverse people that like my chocolate as high percent as possible. chocolate so harsh you can barely nibble the corner off a square, adn the bar lasts weeks, because it is so severe

this is the bitterest, most sublime cocoa and spice

a darker cousin to Lush 13 Rabbit bubble bath.

for chocolate heaven for grown ups, bath with 13 Rabbit and Sonic Death Monkey, and annoint with Centzon Totochtin.

Bottle: *Very* boozy. Not much else, the booziness overwhelms me, but not in a bad way.

Just On: Sweet booze.

An hour or two later: Chocolate booze, maybe amaretto.

Around 6 hours: Still boozy, and I would love to know how Beth bottled booze without a liquor license. <g> A little bit chocolate still, but not so much, and the booze kind of dominates it.

12 hours: The chocolate thing has gone away, and I'm left with a very faint impression of booze.

Overall: Another remarkable scent, and one that I'm very happy to have. This is perfect for going out to the bar, and having some fun.

After reading other reviews: I never got any coffee out of this at all. It was all boozyness and some cocoa on me.

Strong cocoa in the bottle, but that changed on my skin almost instantly to sort of a generic nutty-foody scent, like nougat, which made me go "ick ick" -- and then it morphed again into very spicy darkness, not coffee or cocoa, but evocative of them. I can see the association with the Day of the Dead that some have mentioned here -- it does feel like an offering for the ancestors. I'm not quite sure if it's me yet -- I think I'll try it again in the autumn.

Mexican Cocoa, and something sweet with a hint of booziness. It doesnt get sickly sweet though. Lasts a while, but not as long as other scents. Good, but not an everyday scent. Imp should last a while.

I had high hopes for this blend. I have finally figured out that I cant do chocolate scents. This one smelled of burnt unsweetened chocolate to me. Being a chef, that is not a pleasant smell to me. I need to try it again when I am feening for chocolate. You know that time of the month when that is all you want.

This smells like what I expected it to in the imp, but on my skin, the chocolate goes bitter and burnt, and on top is a strange cool, floral scent that reminds me of fabric softener. Alcohol scents usually work on me, but I don't know what's going on here. I never got the sacrificial blood, so maybe that's what went wrong on me.