Mixed with all monstrous things which Nature’s pangs
Bring to untimely birth; the froth from dogs
Stricken with madness foaming at the stream;
A lynx’s entrails and the knot that grows
Upon the fell hyaena; flesh of stags
Fed upon serpents and the sucking fish
Which holds the vessel back though eastern winds
Make bend the canvas; dragon’s eyes; and stones
That sound beneath the brooding eagle’s wings.
Nor Araby’s viper, nor the ocean snake
Who in the Red Sea waters guards the shell,
Are wanting; nor the slough on Libyan sands
By horned reptile cast nor ashes fail
Snatched from an altar where the Phoenix died

Copious poisons from the moon distils: frankincense, mugwort, toxic moonseed, lemon balm, pale yellow musk seed, and elemi.

First ... oh, the pressure!

I honestly had no idea what to expect here ... Anything with frankincense gets a head start and ditto for musk, but the other notes were either unfamiliar or of possible concern.

IMP: Getting zero frankincense or musk here ... totally acidic, citrus, even a little bit sour (maybe tart would be a better word, because it's not BAD sour, just not sweet). Maybe the lemon? Maybe the mugwort?

WET: LIME LOLLIPOPS! Putting that in all caps because as soon as I applied this the image just jumped right into my mind ... the kind of my childhood that they'd scotch-tape onto birthday presents at our local toy store, with the clear ruffle cellophane wrappers.

DRY: The drydown on this is very quick and leaves barely a trace of the scent on me. At the end, it's only the faintest bit of citrus.

OVERALL: While it's not a keeper for me, it was actually a really fun "experience" to have such a blast from the past scent memory from childhood.

This smells just like my favorite conditioner which is very strong, sinus-clearing lemongrass. I often use it just for the vibrant, refreshing scent. This Phoenix is just as bright and energizing, uplifting, positive. I can imagine myself wearing this on an early morning hike thru the woods in summer, a big smile on my face. Not what I was expecting from "poison" and "entrails".

Lucan's starts as lemon candy, and dries down to a very lemony mugwort, elemi and a touch of frankincense. Actually, this reminds me in some ways to Lemon Scented Sticky Bat - but less furry. This would be awesome as a room scent actually. Good throw, good wear length.

Fun, lemony, cheery.

Sweet, herbal lemon. I don't smell any incense. It's a happy, energizing, light fragrance. Lucan's Phoenix is simple and pleasant enough. I don't need a bottle, but I'll probably hold on to my decant.

In the imp: sharp and bright.

Wet: Lemony, but something sharp and herbal takes over. Reminds me of cleaner.

Dry: airy lemon and soft herbs. Just a touch sweet, not sharp anymore.