BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

A Shadow In The Elevator

Strands of ectoplasm floating through the shadowed air: black plum, inky vetiver, cashmere patchouli, dark oudh, and spectral musk.

This is a lovely, slinky perfume. Its less heady than my beloved Black Moths. The patch is defintely softer, smoother here. The vetiver follows its lead and the plum is a smoky dark sweetness. I love it and Im delighted I got the bottle.

From the description I was afraid I wasn't gonna like it, as the vetiver scared me but actually it's subtle on drydown.

It's cold, almost a bit minty, with a squishy sweet purple plum and that spectral musk and oudh that add the extra dark and spooky dimension. I won't need a bottle as the vetiver is still there, but I am just so impressed with this entire line as this is a-gain just a great blend.

I was looking forward to testing this oil and had high expectations. My final take on it is that i'm afraid i will have to let it age for a while. I get Vetiver and light patchouli with a veil of plum holding it altogether. The plum is not sweet, just an afterthought and the vetiver is the note that pops up on my skin the most, but it's not heavy or the smoky kind. I was hoping for a sweeter plum note and for more shimmery musk.

In the decant: I smell a ton of patchouli, followed by the vetiver and oudh. This is a really dark scent.

Wet: The patchouli and oudh are the first notes to leap out at me, followed by the vetiver. Then, the spectral musk note emerges, which has a cool quality to it. After a few minutes, I get a bit of the plum.

Dry: I am getting more of the black plum than I did during the wet phase of the scent. The patchouli and oudh are still going strong. The vetiver is pretty strong as well, but it’s not the BBQ-y variety. The cool, spectral musk continues to intertwine with the other notes.

Verdict: This one isn’t really in my wheelhouse, because plum and vetiver are not really my thing, but it is more pleasant than I expected it to be from the list of notes, and it was nice to get to try it!

I was frimped a sniffie of this with just enough to skin test. It was very promising in the vial, plum and oudh and dark musk; the vetiver and patch are of the smooth varieties, not the gritty, smoky, or hippie kinds. But it just wasn't spectacular on my skin, which damped down all the loveliness. I ended up with subdued plum and a kind of generic melange of the darker notes as a faint skin scent. It didn't disappear entirely; it was just set at a very low volume on me. Maybe if I had enough to slather, the scent might have ripened better on me. I'm really glad I got to try it!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.