BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Hourglass

“I feel like all the sands are at the bottom of the hourglass.”
“Turn it over, then.”

The white roses and orange blossoms of hope penetrating despair’s black fog of opoponax, black myrrh, bruised violet, clove, funereal lily, and grief-struck carrot seed.

Okay, to me the Hourglass is like a kissing cousin to When Stars Are Weeping. Because I adore When Stars, I like the Hourglass, but I'm not blown away by it.

I get bitter carrot seed, clove, myrrh. It's a watery lily, violet and myrrh blend. It's pretty, but doesn't quite have the magic for me that When Stars does.

Roses and sweet citrus (orange blossom), with light incense floating through the background. There's something soapy. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't wow me like the rest of the collection.

There was a beautiful moment when this was wet, when the carrot seed and spices came out and did a little dance, and as I was testing it with Eve on the other arm, I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately, I apparently amp rose like mad, which overwhelmed everything else. Sad to swap as I loved this story point, but fortunately June 23 is playing nice

I haven't gotten my nose around this fully, but it's superduperly beautiful on me. Whatever state my skin is in right now, this loves me.

It's rose, but not take-over rose, swirled into a deep almost wooden smell. Definitely not a red feeling rose either. First sniff it brought to mind a dark buffed wooden box filled with liqueur preserved cherries, that smell doesn't last, but that's the dark feel behind the rose.

Don't buy it though! I might need more!

Promising at first, soft floral and musk. Gradually the musk and resins intensify to a god-awful soapy perfume mess. Fortunately, this does not last long, and the soft rose seems to dominate. Morpher to be sure. I really do not like the intense phase. Urggh, seems to morph back and forth. I'm going to have to wash this one off.

Owww, wow, this one smells like tombstones on my skin! :P
I love it and I have been searching for some weird scents like this one lateley :)

I think it might be the opoponax/black myrrh combo together with the funeral lilies !
It is not soft at all, but more upfront and I like it. I really do. You CAN smell the white roses

and when time passes by even those orangeblossoms :wub3:

It is super pretty and very quiet.

I will waer this often when I go out for a drink!

Wet: Sharp, overwhelming rose with a hit of citrus

Dry: The sharpness of the rose goes away but stays quite heady, especially in combination with the other floral notes. Citrus floats in and around the rose.

Underneath the florals is a dark, strong incense. I like this okay but, when compared with the rest of the series, falls a bit flat.

Edited by Atrous

this starts off with orange blossom and something that seems almost woody, i dunno what that is. then the rose comes through, and i guess the carrot seed and clove? i feel like i'm getting something slightly sweet but can't place it. there definitely seems to be some lily in this too, giving it that funereal feel. i am not always a fan of lily, but it behaves slightly better here than usual. it's honestly mostly rose on me though. after it's been on the skin for awhile it's mostly rose, carrot seed and a hint of something almost maple-y.

Edited by theseagrows

Wet: Rose, and...something. Interesting. Despair`s black fog, indeed. Hard to pinpoint the other notes, but this is very rosey, made sinister by a combination of the other notes. Violet and orange blossom are both not good on me, and I am not getting either distinctly here. Nor am I getting Myrrh. I have to conclude what I am smelling is either the carrot seed or opoponax, neither of which I am very familiar with. Interesting!

Dry: Mostly rose, with hints of sweet resin (the opoponax, I`m guessing, because it`s not quite like Myrrh). It`s quite lovely, but I have so many rose blends at this point that I am not sure I have room for another is my collection. So happy got to try it though!

The lily and rose combine on me into a really sharp, soapy rose scent. I can pick out a hint of herbal carrot and some syrupy, peppery, resinous sweetness from the opoponax, but it mostly smells like a bar of rose soap that's dusty and forgotten in a wooden box...