BPAL Madness!
Balame

The Diamond’s Gong

A celestial hymn, singing to Earth from fifty light years away: ten billion-trillion-trillion-carats of glittering white musk, with cognac, tagetes, white champaca, Gum Arabic, and davana.

In bottle: this is a super white blend for me -- one sniff without looking up the notes (it's been a while) and I knew there was white musk. I can get the cognac feel, and davana. I'm hopeful, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turns a bit on me...it has a bit of an old-timey, oily scent. We'll see.

Wet on skin: Lightens up considerably, I think this would be the tagetes I'm smelling. It's definitely celestial, white, starry. It's getting slightly powdery as it dries down, but it remains fairly celestial and bright. I am liking this very much, but wary about that powder. I'm also trying to figure out where it fits in my bottles...

Dry: dry, that oily white musk drydown is just nagging at me, behind the beautiful sweet white floral notes and starriness of the whole blend, though it's more subdued and soft in this stage. The powder remains in check, and does give that soft tone which is fairly pleasing and almost snuggly.

Verdict: I think, if I didn't have enough white florals in my collection, and I was new at this whole thing, I might go for this blend. I do love how both soft and starry it is, but it doesn't make as much sense to keep it with the rest of my collection.

2018 release.

In the decant: I’m getting lots of champaca and some cognac. The cognac is indeed reminiscent of Lush’s Snowshowers, only this scent is far more incense-y thanks to the champaca.

Wet: The white champaca and cognac notes are the notes that jump out to me the most. It really is like Lush’s Snowshowers infused with champaca, at least at first, but then the champaca note becomes stronger and the white musk asserts itself, so that association goes away.This reads as a clean, incense-y scent to my nose.

Dry: The champaca and white musk reign, with some floral notes in the background, and some very light cognac behind them. It’s more floral and less clean than before. It does have a glittering quality to it.

Verdict: I was really looking forward to this one, and it was really promising when first applied, but the champaca note, while nice, ends up taking over and making this a little too one-dimensional on me. I am glad that I got to try it, though!