BPAL Madness!

Adam, our suicidally romantic scoundrel. His scent is a palette of somber colors, melancholy memories, and lupine, savage beauty: black leather, pale sandalwood, ambergris accord, and the memory of a long-lost Victorian fougère.His internal life seems to be reflected in his lair, so his perfume also possesses the scent of the wood of his guitars, the rosin from his violin bow, the musty wool of neglected Oriental carpets, the plastic, metal, and magnetic tape of his reel-to-reel, the dust that permeates everything.

like this way more than I thought I would. There are very few leather blends that actually work on me - usually it’s single note leather or headache inducing. Thankfully Adam is the softest, sweetest leather I’ve ever tried. The plastic is a bit much at first, but as this dries, the resin peeks through as does a hint of the fougere.

I do like it, but it’s not something I’d wear often. I’m going to age it for a while to see what happens before I decide to pass it on.

I ordered my bottle of Adam back when the OLLAs first went live, during the Great Forum Crash of '14. I posted my review on a FB page that no longer exists, and forgot to post one here after the forums returned months later. So this overdue review is for my OG Adam.

I am always leery of leather scents, as I don't care for it on my skin. But I couldn't *not* order a bottle of Adam to go along with my Eve. Unfortunately, it was almost a single note chemical leather on me, and I knew I would never wear it. I swapped it away a few months later and never even considered replacing it. There are plenty of scents that I love, so no reason to feel bad that I have an occasional miss.

Spoilered for a sad and probably heretical admission:

I haven't actually seen the movie.

I only bought a decant of Adam. This was a mistake.

Adam is eau d'intellectuel chaud. Gentle, inviting, drop-dead sexy, but in a cerebral way, not a primal way, if that makes any sense. Soft leather you want to bury your face into. A hint of cologne applied hours earlier. That wonderful rosin note that has me thinking I need at least a decant of The Mountebank. Sandalwood, ambergris, dusty wool, they all float around the edges of this scent. I'm not getting any obviously plastic notes, which I'm grateful for. Perfectly unisex, perfectly beautiful. Brilliant.

2018 release.

I actually did try the original release of Adam back in 2014, but I apparently never reviewed it. I gave the decant to my brother, because he wanted it. I am now retrying it since I’ve grown to appreciate some leather blends since that time.

In the decant: Lots of black leather backed by some ambergris, a pale sandalwood, and fougere.

Wet: Fortunately, the leather was a lot stronger in the vial than it is on my skin. I still get some leather, and now, some dust, but I’m also getting lots of ambergris and more of the pale sandalwood than I did in the decant. Or perhaps I spoke too soon. The black leather note has gotten stronger as it sits on my skin.

Dry: The leather ends up calming down after some time, and I end up with a soft, black leather (like a well-worn leather jacket) and cozy ambergris, with some fougere and sandalwood, and a bit of dust, but I also get something sharp from this. I’m not sure if it is the plastic, metal, the magnetic tape, or a combination of these things, but the sharp not threatens to give me a headache. Alas! I think it’s the metal, though.

Verdict: I enjoyed Adam more than I did back when I tried him in 2014, but unfortunately, there’s a sharp note present in the dry phase that is going to give me a headache if I continue sniffing it. So Adam is still not for me, but I am glad I got to give him another try.

2018 release

Adam is a strange scent. It starts as strong leather with woody notes. As it dries on my skin, it almost smells kind a like musk beneath the leather.

Dry it's just leather with wood notes. Not really a scent for me.