BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Dwarven Ale

Courtesy of grandpa: an entire summer break's worth of Werther's Originals butterscotch and coffee-caramel swirl candies eaten in one day.

Strong butterscotch, and then something riding under the butterscotch that smells slightly bitter, spicier, darker - like gingerbread or chicory or coffee. I find it very similar to the Dark Pumpkin Mead 2008 Halloweenie (except lighter and smoother, not burnt like DPM).

Booze? rum? in the bottle. Goes on as booze with the honeyed apple note I love so much. There's a brief brûlée note as it dries, and the honeyed apple dissipates, leaving more of a brown, sugary note. Not "brown sugar," but something like an apple cider residue. The sweetness finally fades out of that, until it's just that slightly fermented brown sludge at the bottom of the tankard. Possibly a stout; I don't drink so I have no idea. Not really mushrooms, thank goodness, but definitely not a fruit — maybe "apple rootstock" meaning "the wood of apple trees." A little of the butterscotch note from Grog starts to surface after a while. I could totally see this being a Tolkien kind of ale.

Wet: Banana bread!! Sweet, almonds, like banana bread fresh out of the oven. Definitely a foodie's dream without being overly banana.

Drydown: I can see the butterscotch comparison, but I'm picking up more of a nut note, and maybe a bit of nutmeg.

Dry: I'm sticking with banana bread. Beer and mushrooms I'm not getting, which I'm okay with. I think there's a bit of an earthy note, which I'm guessing is the rootstock.

Overall, I think this is amazing. I didn't know it was possible to smell like banana bread. Winner!

I get a lot of brown sugar and apple from this one. It's actually very similar to a sweetbread being baked as opposed to an ale. It doesn't smell particularly like ale to me. It's way more like a baked good than a drink. I'm not crazy about bakery scents, but this one isn't so bad. The sweetness even seems to stay in check. It's still not something I'd really reach for, but it is nice.

This definitely smells butterscotchy... it reminds me of a fall scented candle, like the ones that are supposed to be gingerbread but have started to collect the scents of all the other candles adjacent to them... kind of like walking into a candle store in autumn when all the fall scented candles come out.

I was thrilled to acquire Dwarven Ale purely for the sake of completion: it was the only RPG scent I didn't have an imp of. I had no idea I would end up enjoying it as much as I am. I mean, fermented mushrooms, really? But this is Jack stumbling out of a tavern, roaring drunk, singing dirty lyrics at the top of his lungs. It does go through a weird fermented stage wet on my skin, but wait it out, it improves exponentially. If you like pumpkin, this is a blast.

There is cinnamon in this, but I didn't react to it. My skin reactions have been idiosyncratic: I reacted to Inferno, like everyone else, to Baron Samedi, Alice's Evidence, and possibly, tragically, Troll, but can wear Chimera, Sin, and many other cinnamon or cassia blends without trouble.

I would recommend wearing this to any autumnal event where you're planning to get joyfully plastered. Or, conversely, to any autumnal event where alcohol, though an impossibility, would be really useful: that board meeting, meeting a new flame's parents, or helping kindergartners into their costumes for the school Halloween party (my kids are teenagers now; clearly I was scarred by this). If you're thinking, really, I have to do this stone cold sober?, Dwarven Ale will help.

In the Vial:

Slightly fermented apple with honey

On the Skin:

Quite pumpkiny with apple cider. A little effervescent. The honey emerges to sweeten up and round out the blend.

On the Drydown:

Quite dry and almost dusty. Still has a lightly beery vibe with apple and pumpkin with some spices. Not my jam