BPAL Madness!
antimony

Whitechapel

A gentlemen's blend, possessed of dignity, charm and refinement, but in truth masking a corrupted, hideous, soulless core. White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

In the bottle, and about 5 minutes on my skin, Whitechapel smells exactly like lime lifesavers. Interesteing, but not something I want to smell like. Then, suddenly, the lime almost entirely dissappears leaving a floral and white musk. It took a few minutes to realize the floral was lilac, which is one of my favorite flowers. A keeper!

Wet: Dry lime and lilac. This smells soo beautiful.

Drying: The musk and a creamy floral note appear underneath the lime and lilac...

This reminds me of standing in the window of an old B&B in the San Juan Islands in early summer, looking out at a sun-warmed meadow, feeling lighthearted.

After 3 hours, I can't smell the individual lime note, but I think it's still there, drying out the floral musk. I also get a hint of creamy vanilla.

This oil lasted the longest of any I've tried. The musk is nice, but it's too masculine for me and keeps going and going-- I just got tired of it. Fortunately, this smells really wonderful on my boyfriend (but the lilac isn't as prominent).

I was really impressed with this blend!

bottle: lilacs...pure lilacs...now im a bit nervous. im not too into flowers

wet: hmmm.....lilac infused something...its mellow. darker, deeper.

dry: this morphed! I dont get lilac at all now, after a half hour....i get limes and a white musk, and something else i cant place....its blended to gether really nicely so it swirls around me like a cloak. its unobtrustive and delicate. very nice

This scent is brilliant. It's citrus but the sharp edge is softened by the lilac. Fortunately the lilac is extremely subtle, and the lime and lemon remain bright and clean. It's such a fresh and enjoyable scent. I could wear this every day, or bathe in it.

cold, cold, cold!

i can't really associate this one with jack the ripper because it's a bit too -clean-.

it's pretty much all lime. i don't get anything else (except maybe citron, but the lime is very apparent) until the lime is completely gone, and it's gone pretty quickly. it's leaving me with the smell of white musk. just smooth, beautiful white musk.. and i've never even really liked white musks before. i suppose if i want to layer white musk with anything, i can just put this on and wait for the lime to fade.

i really like this. i'll keep it around for layering purposes.

In the bottle: fabric softener.

Wet: Hmm…it’s very citrusy and yet softer than citrus.

Drydown: The white musk does go powdery but not horribly so. This calls to mind tight corsets, fans and huge powdered wigs with some well classed sexual predator in their midst but that could be the powderiness.

Finally: Hmm. It does go awfully powdery (lilac and musk do that on me) but the lime and citron keep it from being pure powder. I’ll use up the imp for sure.

Wet: limes + lilacs = Lemon Pledge. Yet lemons smell like lemons on me.

Dry: Lemon Pledge scent is gone, but I reeked of lliacs, which made me extremely sneezy. It was like Endymion (another heavy floral which caused much sneezing) all over again. I washed it off when it became apparent the lilacs weren't going to fade anytime soon.

i completely agree! wet, and in the early stages, it is pure lemon pledge.

after a while, more lemon and less pledge. but i can smell something like citronella, which sorta upsets my stomach.

as it settles even further, i can pick out the lilac, which when is a very nice lilac, one of the nicest i've had! but i have to concentrate to keep it from going back to lemon pledge/citronella.

this one is going into the swap pot. :P

Hubby doesn't wear BPAL so he missed out on this one.

In the imp: Tangy flowers. I didn't think it was masculine at all.

After dry down: I get the musk, a bit of sweetness, and the flowers are fading fast.

5 hours: Musk and tangy- guessing the tangy is the lime although I cannot single it out because it is well blended.

Lots of lime and lots of citron, this went inevitable lemon drop on me (this seems to be the week for wearing blends that just hate my body) The lavender creeps in at the end however, masculine and dangerous and slithery. This reminded me of a slightly grittier version of villain, a litlte more edgey and dangerous.

Lovely, but not *me*. Citrus goes wild on my skin, so this overpowered the lilac. There was also a waxiness to the blend while on me - almost soapy, but not quite.

I may have DH try this. It would be a nice change from Antony, and it does smell nicely masculine (but not too much).

at first it smells very strongly of lime, but you can tell that it's not pure lime, there's also something else in the background that makes it seem kind of dark and mysterious. then the citrus fades and what's left is a very delicate lilac. i do like it, but citrus is always so overpowering on my skin, so i don't know if i'll wear it that much.

Whitechapel:

Wet: Lemon Pledge.

Drydown: Lemon-lime Pledge.

Longterm wear: I'd rather not smell like Lemon-lime Pledge, but that's what Whitechapel does with my body chemistry, apparently. I'll pass.

In the bottle

the real smell of limes, bitter but nice

On

Lime! It's nice, just surprising is all. Not used to a real, juicy lime smell.

ooooh, the lilac and citron have come up nicely in the middle of things. The subtle fresh sweetness of the lilac and the citron pretty things up. The citron adds an addition of a bright lemon smell. Lemon and Lime? Yeah baby.

Now it's turning a bit more powdery (must be my chemistry and I'm just lucky) which is good because this is after all a tart scent, it can take powdery.

I'm not smelling the musk at all, its probably in the background but I can't pick it out like I can in some.

30 minutes

It smells almost too powdery between the time I put it on and now at 30 minutes. However once it dries it's at least a little less oily toned and more fresh to my nose but not enough to grab me away from the lemon-pledge thing.

Throw:

light

Scent category:

Citrus/floral

Summary

This is a medium strength scent on me.

I feel like this one has the potential to be spectacular with some minor tweaking.

But then again everyone else loves this blend so what do I know. :P

I can see how some who are sensitive to lemony smells would think the citron was a bit too lemon pledge-like because of an oily tone. If you're one of those folks, I wouldn't suggest this blend.

It's easy for me to get past that idea though because the blend smells, not un-like yummy lemon chiffon pie at times. Unfortunately that's about 50% of the time.

I had high hopes for this one but at around 15 minutes, my chemistry came into play (damn my body chemistry) and just changed things completely around.

I like the way The Star reacts better I think. :D

Purchase again?

Nope.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Whitechapel

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This smells like a lime creamsicle or key lime pie. Mmmmm … I smell edible! Then, 15 minutes later, the musk begins to come forward. This is interesting … musky key lime pie.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This has remained its musk and lime self. I cannot detect the lilac or the citron, just musk and lime. I can see why it would be labeled a masculine blend – as the musk, though light, is quite masculine. Even so, it is an interesting scent.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is all musk. The lime has virtually disappeared. I wish the lilac would have come forward, or the lime stayed throughout the life of the scent. As is, off to the Swap Pile.

SoapyRN sent this to me and I was hesitant at first, but she assured me that I would love it. Well, I am so glad that she knows me so well, because she was right. I don't care for lemony scents, but this does have a lime undertone to it and I was hooked. It smells ethereall (Thanks Stardreamer!). I would definitely recommend this to someone, like me, that is hesitant on something in the lemon category.

I haven't let hubby try it yet, but I think I will break down and let him try it today and get his opinion of it.

*edited for spelling*

Edited by ashtonrose

This could definately be worn by a man, but the label "masculine" is somewhat misleading. It could definately be worn by a woman. Normally I am not a a huge fan of musks. They tend to amplify on my skin and take over. The amount in Whitechapel is much more moderate to me though. The lilac adds that something that I can never name, but that always appeals to me. The lime and citron keep this from getting cloying. After drydown I get a slight, but pleasent, powderyness underneath the scent. I was extremely surprised and pleased by this blend. I wouldn't have ordered it because of the musk, but I could see myself possibly buying a bottle of this.

First sniff lemons! so I can't imagine why it would be a gentlemans fragrance, I always think of zesty fruits as feminine. :P

Anyway, wet, more lemons but not overly sharp, the musk and lilac must bring it down.

Dry, lemons, however it soons dies off and you're left with a fresh light musky scent with a hint of fruit.

I think this would make a nice summer fragrance. Lemons for their refreshing qualities, musk to keep it cheeky. :D

Expectations: Well it sounds good...

Imp sniff: Musky. Manly.

On me: Can't say I'd wear this. On the other hand, I'd be happy if any man of mine wore this.

Verdict: I need a man to test this on properly. Anyone want to lend me theirs for a weekend? :P

Edited by pensive

simply breath taking.

lime fresh squeezed, musky depth, and a hint of floral. this is clean, fresh, and definitely wearable.

Whitechapel had been on my wishlist for the longest time, but I kept getting distracted by other new, shiny things and always left it out. Of course, after hearing Hypothermia singing Whitechapel's praise for months with a fervour usually reserved for religious proselytism, I had to order it.

Well, I am not disappointed in the least. Far from it. Actually, I am in love.

In the imp and wet, Whitechapel is a burst of crisp, fresh lime, softened by the lilac. Delicious, refreshing and uplifting.

The musk comes out to play during drydown, imparting further softness and creaminess to the blend. The lilac never gets overpowering and, oh miracle, the citrus actually lasts!

After several hours, a gentle, half-powdery half-tangy musk remains on my skin and surrounds me like a cloud. This is beautiful.

I never would have thought that my nose and brain would be perverted enough to find a serial killer scent comforting, but there you go. Soft, clean and comforting. Needless to say, this goes straight on my big bottle list. It will be perfect for summer and it is fantastic as a bedtime scent year round :P

Gimpage! Thanks Lab!

Vial: Lemon!

Wet: Calm down, lemon! Or rather, lime. Whatever. Citrus, please stop yelling so much. We can all hear you. Do behave.

Dry: A little too limey to be enjoyable. Sometimes my skin loves citrus, sometimes is loves it a little too much. :D I have a feeling this is one of those scents that will *sometimes* work with my skin chemistry. Lovely lovely blend though. :P

TMI ~ Aunt Flo is now visiting with Ultraviolet. :P

Note ~ This one was recommended to me, so I added it to my Pink Moon order.

Vial ~ A lemony citrus with a mint backbone.

Wet ~ A clear, almost stinging candied-lemon. It's verging on the Pledge-like, but something is coming in after it -- a white musk -- to give it backbone again.

Drying ~ Wow. This is starting to remind me of Dorian, but with citrus. There's a creamy component coming in, too. Huh. You know, I think this is how Dorian smelled on the off day, when I was expecting Nathaniel's hair (Anita Blake reference) and got something else. I wonder if, on an off day, Whitechapel would end up smelling like Dorian?

Drydown ~ It's still creamy, but it's softening down. White musk, lime, lilac and citron. Huh. It must be the musk-lilac combination that's creating the thickness, because generally citrus stands up and tap dances on me. Hrm. After a SpicyBrains search, I see that most lilac scents are combined with notes I hate. The only one I really adored was the discontinued Bruja. Alas.

Dry ~ This is so close to Dorian on me that it's frightening, considering that all the have in common notewise is white/light musk. Whitechapel is a little less masculine than Dorian, but only by a degree.

Fade ~ Alas, it fades so well and quickly that I'm getting hints of Highwayman from last night. There's something pleasant, but very thin, over it -- and that's the only saving grace. Crud.

Final thoughts ~ I'm going to have to do a wrist showdown between Dorian and Whitechapel when they can both be at their prime on my skin, because this is just freaky. I wonder how they'd layer? If anything, Whitechapel is making me consider forgiving Dorian for not staying consistent throughout my cycle. I think both make excellent spring scents: they're quite light and innocent, despite the creaminess and the names. Pretty-boy scents, both.

5ml ~ Maybe. First, the showdown! daz.gif

Edited by byrdie

In Bottle: Lime and citron.

On Skin: This is very tart, the lime and citron own this scent. Almost too much… I’m getting the Lemon Pledge thing from this scent. It reminds me of Severin a little since it’s a nice citrus masculine scent. The musk is nice and I’m not actually smelling the lilac yet. I wonder if I could get my husband to try this one…

Whitechapel

Very strong lime scent at first, with something sweet behind it. It smells like lime candy. But a bit more bitter than a lime lollipop would smell. I'm sniffing the part of my arm where I first applied this and I smell sweet-ish baby powder. Weird. So I reapplied in hopes of figuring out exactly what happens with this scent. Right now it smells faintly of bitter (but sweet) limes and powder. I might be picking up a teensy bit of the lilac, but that might be wishful thinking. Ooh just sniffed again and here's the lilac. Welcome to the party. Now we've got a very faint hint of citrus, lots and lots of powder with some white musk and a gentle dusting of lilac. The end stage, while pretty, isn't really worth smelling like I rolled in lime candy in the beginning though. Ultimately, it really smells like pretty powder that is a mix of white musk and lilac. I'm not sure the beginning is worth it but the end is damn good.