BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Thanatopsis

A meditation upon death. Inspired by William Cullen Bryant’s poem. A deep, solemn earthen scent containing pine, juniper and musk.

Got this as a frimp, thanks Lab!

In the imp: I automatically thought "vinegar rootbeer". No idea why I thought this, as it doesn't really smell like rootbeer. But it smells acidic, as if something had turned.

Wet, on skin: Vicks Vaporub! As it starts drying, wood comes through, and the Vaporub starts to vanish.

Dry: Not as sharp as I thought it would be. Smells like musky wood. It's like an old chest you'd find in an attic, that hasn't been opened in decades. When you open it, you find clothes in it, and they still faintly smell like the person who used to wear them, and you get wafts of old perfume mixed with wood. Smells warm and resiny... I don't get the cool, sharp pine most people seem to get from this.

It stays close to the skin and does not have much throw. I still like this, although it's nothing like what I'm usually drawn to. I think I like it for the same reason I love antique objects that have belonged to someone else before. It's mysterious and makes me wonder what secrets it holds...
I don't see myself wearing this much, though. Edited by Merlu

In the imp: Strong juniper, with a bit of dark musk trying to soften it up.

On: The juniper/pine notes are very strong and sharp on me; this is a very masculine blend. As it dries, the musk is a little more apparent, but it's still to earthy/green/sharp for me.

To my nose, this is Czernobog without the civet/poo note. Which is definitely an improvement in my book, but it's still not a scent that works for me.

Mmm. I smell like a copse of cedar in a moss-grown cemetary, with a hint of Victorian poetry. Yeah, baby. I am sexay.

Seriously, this is my favorite so far. Partially because it smells a bit like the Mystic Gryphon (of fond memory) oil called "7 Strengths", which I used to use a lot when I made a living telling fortunes :P

I like earthy, woody smells like cypress and juniper, so if you don't, you may not like it.

Hush, you musky thang. This scent is not coniferous on me. It has interesting "dirt" undertones but is too sweet for my tastes. Dark sweet, not candy sweet.

Thanatopsis

In the imp: sweet pine sap surrounded by deep, thick musk. Mmm.

Wet on skin: whoa, this is dark musk, lightened by piercing juniper and green pine.

Dry on skin: oooh, interesting. This musk has two aspects to it-at times it is dark and feral (yes, at times it even borders on the almost civet-y edge of the musk spectrum!), but at others it is sweet and smooth, almost amber like. Pine and juniper add evergreen freshness to this swirling, mysterious musky scent. It's slightly similar to Black Forest, but heavier on the musk, without the ambergris, and with less of a 'forest' scent to it…this is darker, smokier, and almost introspective.

After a while: civet! I don't know but the musk in here has turned all civet like on me, it's very animalistic, and quite 'equine' (it reminds me of the smell of the place where I went horse riding last year). I wonder if I actually got a mislabelled imp of Czernobog now…it's not bad but I was expecting something like Black Forest's wonderful black musk, not something of the uber-feral kind. This has the potential to go 'bad breath' like on me. Under the civet, there's a nicer sweet black/dark musk layer with a bare hint of evergreen.

Verdict: I always thought I didn't have skin that amped civet much, unless there was a notable amount in a blend. I didn't know my skin would pick up civet where there shouldn't really be any (though it is mentioned in reviews here, so maybe there is some…) but I was a bit shocked when the musk in this scent went all civet like on me. Feral, animalistic, and a little bit farmyard like. (Have I got Czernobog and not Thanatopsis??) Not too bad though, it seems to fit in nicely with the rest of the notes, and the scent's theme. It's a lot wilder than Black Forest and a tad more forbidding, with a definite feel of something bestial amongst the evergreens. This is the forest in fairytales where you might find child-eating wolves and other terrifying creatures. It's very good at capturing a mood and a feeling and I praise Beth for that, but unfortunately, this scent is a bit too animalistic for me. If the musk was the same black musk as Black Forest, I would prefer this, but I think I'll put it up for swap.

To sum it up in a smiley: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Wet- this smells stong, and almost like menthol. It's herbal and biting. Specifically, it's a biting pine note.

After a bit of wear- the pine becomes less biting, and is complemented by a cedar note. On me this is pretty much all pine and cedar- very fresh and woodsy.

Thanatopsis was pretty far down on my "to try" list because of the pine and juniper, which are traditionally urgh for me. I put it on, sniffed, thought "eugh, pine," then went back to typing something. About 10 minutes later I started to wonder where that lovely scent was coming from. I traced it to the little swipe of Thanatopsis.

So I swiped on a whole bunch more, and waited for the pine to go away again. Is anyone else getting red musk out of this? I swear the musk smells like red musk... and at one point I thought I faintly detected some leather. Very animalistic, and to be honest I don't mind the pine. It actually makes the whole thing seem slightly fresh, giving a pleasant respite from the feral undertone.

I can see this being masculine, but I'm reluctant to hand over the imp to the hubby. I kinda want to keep it for myself.

In the bottle: Musk and dirt. A clean but melancholy smell.

First on: My skin brings out sharper piney notes. This stuff is good, though heavy.

Dry: A bit too heavy for me to really like. Might be good on someone else. This one's for the swap pile.

Bottle: The woods stand out, more of the juniper than the pine, and it's a very real combination, if I close my eyes I am transported to a pine forest at night, along the lakeshore so there is a lot of juniper around, and it's a little chill. It's like that scent that comes up from dropped needed with each foot fall.

Wet: Still the woods, although on skin they take on a warmer edge. I'm not getting much of the musk, yet, but this is like a more juniper-y Black Forest, so you know I am liking this. (I'm rather predictable, always have liked more traditionally masculine notes.)

Dry: Now the musk is coming to the fore, and it's wonderful. It's not a feminine musk, but I think I'd call this gender-neutral overall (leaning to the masculine). Caveat: see above comment.

Later: Oh that yummy, yummy musk, with hints of the juniper behind it (less so of the pine), is so grounding for me. I find musks calming, for some reason, so I agree with the 'solemn' description from the catalog, dark and enveloping.

I wanted to try this because it looked as though it was full of notes I like. I wonder if I can get Brian to wear it - I really like it!

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

straight sniff from imp is sinus clearing juniper and pine...in that order... :P

upon application a distinct note of civet comes through...or what my schnoz

contemplates as a civet aroma... :D

hmmmm...turns dusty and murky....heavy and dark.....i can see the comparisons

to czernbog however czernbog is much, much sweeter from the start and less sharp.....nice but no dice for this bpalgal

This was a frimp in my last order, thanks labbies! It had been on my list to try since the beginning.

Whew! Yep, Juniper, Pine and the musk underneath. Reminds me a bit of Dracul. It has a promising start but in about an hour I was walking around going "what is that note? I *know* that note! Gahhh!". Finally it dawned on me. Red Musk. Now it smells very much like Scherazade with no evergreens at all. I like Scherazade but I already got some :P

And to keep the pine/juniper note I probably would need to re-apply every hour.

In the imp:

Fascinating. This is sweet and sharp at the same time, smoky, and has amazing depth. I can't pick out a single note, but it intrigues me.

Wet:

Pine. Pine, pine and more pine. Hmm...I guess my chemistry amps pine. :P

Early dry down:

All the intriguing sweet and smokiness I got from the imp is gone. Pft. It's now Pine-Sol, extra strong. I smell icky. And medicinal. It's like Pine-Sol with camphor!

Late dry down:

Confesion: I did not make a full hour. After 30 minutes I had to scrub this off as it was literally making me gag. I smelled like vapo-rub and pine-sol. Ew.

Frimp with my Dragon Moon order!

In the imp: Piney and musky, kind of like Black Forest, but less astringent.

On, wet: Hello, musk. The pine tries to hold up its end, but this blend is really more about the musky, earthy elements on me. And holy god, is it strong. Wearing it to work may have been a mistake -- and that was just one little dab on one wrist.

Drydown: Sweet, earthy musk. And I no longer feel like I'm walking around in a giant cloud o' musk, thankfully.

I like. It's less aggressively sexy than some of the other musk blends that I have -- a bit more all-occasion. Or, well, most occasion, anyway.

Thanatopsis is a very earthy scent. On my skin, it smells fairly resinous, and I don’t smell any of the pine or juniper. It has very light throw, as most of the funeral oils seem to on my skin, but it lasts for several hours despite being very soft and subtle. It’s a bit too earthy for me, and I hope it will find a good home with someone else.

In the bottle: Citrus, cedar, and something earthy

First on: That is either one pungent musk or there's civet in this, because I stink. Behind the rotten stench that is either musk or civet (I'll be able to tell later on) there's a general woodsy scent to it.

After an hour: I haven't been able to smell myself reeking yet, so I think it's musk. Either that or it's a very calm civet, because musk usually doesn't go quite so rotten on me. It's pure spoilt milk.

Overall: Yuck

Thick, sharp pine sap over musk. A very dark perfume--if only the musk and juniper could balance the pine a bit more, I think I'd be hanging on to this one. Instead I just keep getting sticky dark pine sap.

This was a frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Hm... mixture of Vicks Vapo-rub and a more organic-smelling Pine-Sol.

On me: Wow, what a change! I usually shy away from scents with strong pine notes (see the unfortunate likenings to Pine-Sol, turpentine and cheap air freshener in public restrooms), as I'm usually not too lucky with the note - it tends to overpower everything, even the strongest base notes are no match for Pinezilla!

But this... this is... solemn and tranquil, like a walk in a forest. The pine is softened quite a bit by what I believe is the juniper (it smells like the note in Wings of Azrael, at any rate) and the musk rounds it off, making for a deep, masculine blend with the pine only adding a certain amount of almost-spicyness to the mix.

It also smells quite good on the husband - I feared he'd over-amp the pine again, but it's very similar to what it smells like on my own skin.

Very interesting. I quite enjoy it, even though I don't know yet whether I'll get more. I'll definitely use up the imp, though!

Thanatopsis-

In Bottle: Kind of lavender-y and powdery.

Wet: Pine bloom on my skin.

Dry: It takes time, but this turns into a nice powdery musk on me, lightly masculine and pleasant. I don't think the dry-down is all that remarkable, to wait for it, but it's a nice scent.

Overall: Nice but not a frequent flyer.

I got this as a frimp from the lab and inbetween the 5 or so months I've had it, it's had time to age. I really like juniper but kind of weary of pine I tried this just to see how it would be.

It's very beautiful. It mellows with mostly juniper *love* with pine and the musk isn'ts there but it adds depth to it. Perhaps dark musk with a touch of white. I recognize that sparkling quality from embalming fluid. After it dries down I think after an hour or so, it's the sweetness of the juniper with the musk behind it. Totally sweet and huffable.

I think I'll keep the imp and still waft upon the bottle.

At first this is loads and loads of yummy pine...and then the musk/juniper does something funky and I smell like an old man. :P An old, musky lumberjack.

ETA 2/14/07 - Tried it again. The musk is dark and a bit sweet, drawing the pine and juniper into an earthy, organically sexy scent. And then the musk turns me into an old man again. OLD MAN, WTF.

Edited by maribouquet

Masculine, incense and evergreen. Heavy. After a moment, it lightens, sharpens, but doesn't lose the initial notes. This is dark, a solemn forest scent. The musk is subtle, and the overall blend earthen. Meditative.

Lots of pine. Way too much for me. I hate to say it, but it smells like Pinesol on me. :P After a while, it mellows out a bit, and it's kind of a nice smell. I would just feel strange wearing it for some reason.

I'll try it on my boyfriend and see what happens.

Thanatopsis: In the imp, PINE! On, while wet, I smell like a Christmas tree. As it's drying it seems to be getting sweeter, and lighter. I thought it would be strong so I put only a little on, but it might take a bit more for actual wearing. After 10 minutes or so, I'm starting to smell a little of the musk. I don't think I can tell a difference between Juniper and Pine, so can't pick out those specific notes, but it's not just straight pine at the moment. It's a bit unusual for a perfume, but I'm liking it. There's a sweetness to it that Black Forest didn't have. After about an hour or so, I'm smelling the musk more, combined with the piney scents this is coming off pretty masculine, though good. This might end up a trader. Mostly faded after a couple hours.