BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Hoggle

"I ain't never been no one's friend before."

Fermented pumpkin, brown leather, dust, tobacco leaf, and dark woods.

I thought for sure that Hoggle was not going to work on me, since 99% of the time, pumpkin in any form is a death note for me - BUT, this is amazing! the pumpkin is definitely a main player, but mixed with the combination of the tobacco leaf, brown leather, and a woodsiness, it's PERFECT! This actually reminds a little of Jack, but just so much better! This is definitely an awesome scent for the fall, especially around Halloween!

out of 5 stars: 4 (for when you want a good Halloween scent) otherwise, a 3.5

In the bottle, pumpkin. Wet on my skin, tobacco leaf and maybe some wood way in the back. It burns a little, I suspect there are spices in with the pumpkin. This is interesting but not really me.

I love pumpkin blends. Adore them. Wear them year-round. This one does not disappoint, with a pumpkin note that isn't overly spicy and actually reminds me of pumpkin beer (I guess it should, since it's supposed to be a fermented pumpkin) on a bed of surprisingly sexy leather, tobacco and woods. There is sweetness here, mainly from the pumpkin and tobacco, but just enough to balance it out. This isn't a "dusty" blend at all, at least on me. Another win from this series. :lovestruck:

Hoggle:

Sniffing the bottle, it smelled like syrup. I asked my husband to confirm, yep, syrup. After applying it to my wrists, :cry2:

It's straight up coffee. No delicious pumpkin, nothing, coffee. I'm going to let this age before I try this again.

I had a chance to sniff this yesterday at The Healthy Living Natural Foods Market in South Burthington, VT :)

Hoggle was my favorite by far. :wub2: This smells like dirtier (more earthy) version of Miskatonic University.

what? why? how! this is Misk U, with overcooked black coffee and some pancake syrup. so, like, the Waffle House across the street from Misk U. where the students hang out. .... fun to spend time there, but i don't wanna smell that way!

Wet: Buttery and brown with a touch of sweet pumpkin

Drydown: Deep and rich. Soft, dusty leather and tobacco with a hint of dried wood. Smoother than you might expect. I can totally see where the coffee comparison is coming from in this stage.

Dry: Gorgeous deep wood notes speckled with dust and spice. Just a hint of sweet tobacco and dark incense.

Amazing. If you like Miskatonic U even just a little bit you will love this stuff. Incredibly evocative and authentic-smelling. The dust note is to-die-for. This actually triggered a few scent memories for me, including the smell of my Pop-pop's basement woodshop. Beautifully deep, dusty wood. Masculine-leaning, but soft enough for most women I think.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the bottle it oddly smells a lot like Red Lantern. After it's applied wet, it's like Red Lantern mixed with the original Misk U (which was caramel coffee-y, quite different from the GC). On dry down the leather comes out. At work, people kept circling me saying "AHH SMELLS LIKE MAPLE SYRUP, NEED FRENCH TOAST!". So...there you go.

Hoggle was totally facsinating! When it was wet it really did have this sour/ fermented pumpkin smell prominent in the foreground. As it dried out it got a little more PUMPKIN!! and less fermented, but not so much so that it was overwhelming (pumpkin and I do not traditionally get along well. Jack eww eww eww... This was not aghastly sweet and buttery.) This really was rich, deep, and earthy after it really settled down. A hint of sweet and that interesting fermented smell from the pumpkin. It was a lot heavier/ darker/ more masculine than I'd wear but I liked this a lot and I don't think I have anything else in my collection quite like that fermented pumpkin note.

And to add, since there are many comparisons to Misk U and Red Lantern up thread, I actually hated both of those on me but like this -- go figure! This was not hugely sweet/ foody/ syrupy on me.

This was such a lovely surprise. The scent is strong. I put on just a dab to test and I felt over scented (I generally apply so that my husband can't smell my perfume unless he is really close up since he hates most of my perfume and he made a comment about it). It started off very pumpkin, which isn't my favorite note, but then changed into a great spicy/sweet scent. When it finally settled down the spices faded (sadly since I wish they would have stayed stronger) and I got a woodsy syrup kind of scent. It is sweet without being overwhelming.

I do see the resemblance with miskatonic U and red lantern but while neither of those really worked for me, this one I really like.

I also get coffee from this, and something caramel-y.

Its the coffee note that was in the BPTP Soap last winter.

It smells good enought to drink.

I can imagine that this would be exactly the way Hoggle would smell like, also I personally would imagine him a bit more earthy smelling.

That beeing said, this scent is not really me. I am a huge coffee-junkie but but i dont like smelling like coffee.

However this would be awsome for a coffee lover who likes to smell like his fav brew FOR SURE

3/5

A delicious scent, just not for me.

In bottle: This is rather intense. That is definitely fermented pumpkin, and strongly dominant. With the other elements, it’s very much a dark brown scent. It’s beautifully blended with tobacco, leather, and woods providing excellent support. (Listed strongest to weakest. The dust is soft, but distinct, tying it all together further. The edges all blend together. It also smells strongly brown sugar. The brown leather here is worn and soft and lacks the chemical edge in many crisper leather blends, so this may work for folks who have trouble with black leather and other stronger versions. Fermented pumpkin and brown sugar dominant as in the bottle. This is an uncomfortable scent though not as uncomfortable as, say, smashed pumpkin. The support is still there, but now instead of blurred edges, they are so folded together that it takes work to separate them in my nose. Dry: Mostly Fermented pumpkin with a touch of leather and tobacco.

Ergh. This was gross. I suspected this wouldn't work for me based on the notes and now I'm sure. If you're a fan of pumpkin or caramel scents, though, you'll love this--it smelled like strong, craft store candle-spicy pumpkin plus sickeningly sweet, overpowering caramel on my skin. I don't smell the leather and dust--maybe the tobacco, a tiny bit, adding a bit of sharpness to the scent. Too sweet, too pumpkin-y.

When I cracked open my decant, I was like "HOLY WOW, this smells like Halloween." Looking back over the notes, that reaction makes perfect sense. The pumpkin is semi-sweet, but definitely spiced, and I do smell the dark woods in there, too. This is a scent that would not have been out of place in the Sleepy Hollow series, and I can see it getting a lot of play come Autumn. There's also a little bit of coffee-ness at play, though BPAL's coffee note is almost always cloying to me, and this, while certainly sweet, doesn't tip into the swap pile. I actually really like it. It would make a fantastic candle.

Hoggle reminds me a whole lot of Velvet Dogs Playing Poker and Miskatonic University. Very rich, sweet, woody (teak? mahogany?), intense.

Partner walked in the door shorty after I put this on and said it smelled like caramel corn in the living room. This is potent stuff.

Edited by strahlend

This was not at all what I expected...but I like it!

Hoggle reminds me a lot of Pumpkin Latte and Pumpkin V...er...I forget the year. That one that smells like a pumpkin latte! However, there is something slightly less foody/sugary about Hoggle, perhaps it's the leather which balances it out. If you are a foody like myself, you will want to try this one. Did I need yet ANOTHER pumpkin latte-smelling perfume?

DUH! Of course! :)

Hint of pumpkin, coffee, caramel with brown leather and tobacco. This is a warm, fall, manly blend. I have to say to me that the leather and tobacco are the strongest notes, followed by the coffee.

This is dark, brooding guy on a cool autumn morning with a well worn leather jacket and a steaming cup of BLACK coffee. And sometimes, you don't need sugar or cream in your coffee.

I LOVE this scent. It's very similar to Misk U but without the initial play dough thing it does in the beginning. My husband says it smells like MAGIC. He hardly ever has that reaction to things. It's VERY autumnal though. It's summer here in Az though and it feels like I'm wearing a big warm fuzzy sweater. I will tuck it away for now. It's just too much for 100+ degree weather. :)

I had high hopes for this (spicy pumpkin, leather, and darker, earthier notes = yes, please) and was hoping that it would be strong on the leather, but this is almost no leather on me :(. I get spicy pumpkin and the weird sweetness that others have mentioned - sort of a maple syrup and boozy caramel sweetness. There's a bit of sharp smokiness in the drydown that I'm guessing is the tobacco, but mostly this smells like a cloying spice candle on my skin.

In the decant, it's dusty pumpkin, which smells better than it sounds. On me there's a woodsy, herbal component mixing with the pumpkin and it's heavenly. I LOVE caramel scents in the bottle but they never work on me, so when I start getting hints of caramel that's not sickly sweet and nausea-inducing, I am quite happy. I get no leather. It's dusty, furry, and spicy. The pumpkin has faded so it's lost that slight hint of pumpkin pie that I always experience with pumpkin scents. It's definitely an autumn scent so I shall wear my decant happily once the weather turns.

Lots of autumn spice at first. Turns to a warm and creamy slightly pumpkin blend. I'm definitely getting the leather in the background as well. I don't wear foody scents like this, but when I do, I do get compliments from foody lovers I guess. I basically smell like a piece of pumpkin pie in a tack shop.

has anyone else had a skin reaction to this? I put this on this morning, because I have been in a FALL mood for the last few days...and my husband asked "what happened to your neck?!?" I had red patches within moments of it touching my skin. It didn't burn, maybe it itched just a tiny bit, but not enough that I had even noticed anything until he pointed it out, and I looked in the mirror - I so love this scent though :cries:

Edited by sharkdiver

Weenies tend to be among my favorite scents, and I had high hopes for Hoggle.

When I first put some on, there was a definate buttery pumpkin smell. I didn't care for that, but it mellows out really quickly-within the first five minutes.

He definately turns delicious and reminds me of some of my favorite falls scents. With having lots of fall scents already, do I really need another pumpkiny fall scent?

YES! I do! Even though he'll probably not get a whole lot of wear, I'm still going to need a full bottle him! He's so yummy!

ITI: I get sugar, pumpkin, butter, and rum for some reason. IT's interesting, although awfully foody.

Wet: Sugared pumpkin, sweetened butter, dust (attic kind), and pipe tobacco.

Dry: It's spicier when it dries down, I think from the combination of tobacco and woods. There is more dust now, but still some of that overly buttered pumpkin underneath it all. I am still not sure about this one me.