BPAL Madness!

A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Somehow I get roses in Veil. Maybe it's just how I am interpreting the gardenia. But I get roses.

In the Bottle: Big Fat GIANT cabbage roses, about 500. A stink of rose going to high heaven. These roses are all on Hyacinth Bucket's giant huge brimmed white summer hat she is wearing to church, thinking all will be impressed.

Dry: There is a soft Veil of powder, and behind it is a young, lovely lady, wearing a slightly smaller version of Hyacinth Bucket's hat, with half as many roses on it.

1 to 10 scale - 6 and that only cause I love flowers. Buy again: No.

In the imp: Floral with a bite. The strongest note I can detect is the lavender, but there's other notes fluttering by.

Wet: Sandalwood! Oh the sandalwood! Whoa. I smell like incense.

Dry: Um, the sandalwood ate me. Out of nowhere, the sandalwood swallowed every other note.

Second try dry: Still sandalwood.

Darnit. I wanted to like this one, but I think sandalwood must be my kryptonite.

sharp tinge to my nose when i sniffed the vial.

Once on I caught a waft of large white creamy gardenias. Overpowering, almost.

after about an hour the warmth of the gardenias was still there but I smelled something green herbal mossy even. and something tangy like limes. There is some weird morphing going on. I:m thinking it must have been the lavender melding with the sandalwood.

I keep smelling my wrists. It is addicting. this is such a complex scent, yet it is light and airy. I imagine a Surat painting of a tall sophisticated lady walking with a parasol in the park wearing a long white dress with a bustle. this is what she'd be wearing.

Cumin? :D I smelled some kind of seasoning. (maybe this is what others got too when the said salty, peppery, celery) The lavender is still there keeping this cool like a spring breeze, and the sandalwood helps it stick to the skin giving it some depth. on one wrist i can smell violets very strongly on the other i get no violets. How odd is that? :P

The gardenia is nearly non-existant after 5 hours. but I can detect that easy going sandalwood and the purple breath of flowers. I still smell some kind of seasoning though, like i'm in a kitchen with something simmering on the stove and a big bouquet of lilacs and lavender adorns the kitchen table.

I do like this but it is a very strange scent. almost like I can't trust it. Wondering what it will do next time. Pull a rabbit out of my wrist? This one trully does magic tricks on the skin. One that definitely is unique to body chemistry.

To me this one was somewhat odd it was floral drenched in spice and I got someting artifical about it. After dydown the strange artificial note I detected was gone thank goodness, but to me it still is a lovely daytime scent that I only wish it had more throw to it. My scale of 1-5.... 3

knock your socks off florals.... :D

if you love everything flowery, this is your fragrance indeed~

so hauntingly beautiful...extremely long lasting...

this is one of Beth's "top 10" as far as I'm concerned....

gorgeous......

i couldn't be happier with Veil :P

Veil smelled lovely, until I read in the description there was gardenia in this. "Really?" I took a sniff. Oh dear. "Yes," said my nose.

Gardenia is one of those notes I dislike that manages to take over a fragrance. Maybe it's because I don't like it that I notice it moreso than the notes I do like (ie lavender and sandalwood and the like). Feh. If the gardenia wasn't in this, Veil would be a fantastic clean fragrance.

Veil smelled lovely in the initial sniff, but gardenia just blew it out of the water. If you like the sweetness of the flower, hey, it's for you. Veil, however, is not for me.

-doreen

In the bottle: generic 'white floral' smell; not particularly offensive, not particularly enticing.

Wet, on me: OMG, overpowering violet smell that I think is the orris root. I reallyreally didn't like this.

Drydown: I smelled like...my grandmother. Who has worn 'White Shoulders' for as long as I can remember. Even my teenager remarked on it - "Hey, you smell like Granny. That's weird."

Dry, a couple hours later: Now I can smell sandalwood, if I sniff right up close to my wrist.

Needless to say, I'll be swapping this one.

This scent went on and it was all sweet, sweet candy violets. As it dried, the scent became deeper. Those sweet violets were overlaid with a bit of dust. It's a very old-fashioned scent, perfect for a young girl in a white dress at her coming out party. She just happens to be carrying a nosegay of sweet fresh violets. I like this, but it may be too young and girly for me. I'll finish out the imp, and see if I have a driving need to obtain more Veil. :P

Veil

In the imp: lavender, violet, lilac, white dusty florals.

Wet on skin: lavender and violet are now very prominent.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is nice. The gardenia is good in this, it seems, no icky notes in this. This is a pale-purple, light, ethereal scent of gentle florals. It's a dry, dusty scent, very feminine and wispy. The lavender is strong, but fades gradually to reveal the violet and lilac underneath, lying on a base of pale sandalwood and orris. It's a lovely scent.

After a while: the floral notes in this get richer and seem to bloom nicely on the skin. I still get a hint of lavender, but the violet, gardenia and lilac are now more noticeable, along with the drier wood notes. There's something haunting and ghostly about this scent, I think.

Verdict: this is a very nice purple-white scent, wispy, pale, light, ethereal, slightly old fashioned and nostalgic, with a hint of age and dust about it. Very haunting, almost melancholy. Heady, pale flowers are the main notes in this blend (and what nice floral notes) but there's also the dry undertone of sandalwood and orris. It's a lovely scent, though not a favourite, but I do enjoy it and may keep the imp.

in the vial all i smell is lavender.

wet on skin: oh my. this is the most beautiful lavender blend I have ever smelled. It is prominently lavender on me but enhanced with other...things...making it cool and sweet. after a few seconds I can smell the chalky violet. It is hard to detect underneath the plethora of lavender. but yes, I can definitely smell the violet. but that is it. just lavender and violet. (not the biggest fan of violet, ever since I had violet candy as a kid, the kind with anise seed in each one. Violet reminds me of being sick from violet candy on a car ride home.

as it dries: nice blend of violet and lavender. I think I can detect a hint of gardenia now? (how does Beth do it? how can she make a scent invisible but then appear whenever she wants??) yes I can smell gardenia and violets now, with just a hint of the menthol-ey-ness of lavender. I never thought of combining gardenia and violet. It is so interesting! the gardenia takes away the chalkiness of violet that I dislike and sweetens it. I can't smell any lilac though. maybe I just forgot what it smells like.

this scent isn't for me because of the violets, but I may keep the imp just because I like the initial sweet lavender smell.

In the bottle:

Nothing distinct...but very familiar and... soapy?

Wet:

Similar to how it smelled in the bottle, although I can start to smell the orris and lilac and a touch of violet, I think.

Drydown:

Still "soapy". Not in a bad way...but that's what it's reminding me of. I can't pick up the lavendar or sandalwood at all. Maybe when totally dry?

Dry: Faint feminine, floral smell...still mostly soapy though.

Another "it's not a bad smell,but just isn't for me"...which is too bad. I REALLY REALLY wanted this to smell good on me after reading the notes description.

I'm begining to find that florals just aren't for me... all the floral scents hate me.

Overall though, the scent *does* remind me of a veil...soft and mysterious somehow... even through the "soap" smell, it gave the impression of soft laughter and shy, yet flirty maidens giggling under their veils at the boys.

Recommended for someone else with whom florals work well.

Imp

A deep, green sweetness is the first scent I get.

Wet

Astringent lavender is the first to break free upon my wrist, but as lavender does, it is already mellowing. The sandalwood is adding a lovely woodsy diamension to the mixture and the gardenia steps forward, mingling, suprisingly withought being overbearing.

Dry

What a lovely dry down. It is soft florals and woods. I love it!

in the vial its dry white florals.

On my skin, it starts to do the same thing Shroud did, which was to sort of smell like pickles.

It eventually morphs to violets, gardenia, and orris. It is a very soft, dry, gentle scent.

It fits the name well.

Veil: I find it difficult to pick out specific notes in this - they all seem to blend together into a whole. Just a bit of lilac, perhaps.

On: Very strongly orris for a moment, then the gardenia tries to take over. The sandalwood beats it back though.

Dry: A medium weight floral with a sandalwood base. It's nice, but doesn't wow me.

Edited by Wench457

Light, soft, white gardenia and violet. This belongs on a bride. Lovely and light, but unfortunately not me (I'm not much of a floral fan).

In the vial, this smells almost green, although there is a distinct presence of violet already. It gave me a headache, but I pressed on.

Wet, it smells distinctly of violets, with a flowery, powdery background. Very much a quiet, adult sort of scent.

Not something I love, but it's not going on the swap pile yet either.

everyone keeps talking of how Veil smells like babies.. and it does. like baby diapers. BLECH. in the imp, on my skin, baby diapers everywhere! ahhh!

I received this as a frimp - thanks labbies!

In the imp - hmm, florals. Well I'm not really a floral sorta gal, but I'll give it a whirl.

On my skin - help! I've had this on five minutes and I'm developing a headache. Sorry, I'll have to wash it off :P

I can sort of see why a lot of people like this, but I seem to have a visceral reaction to anything flowery perfume-wise (both BPAL and commercial perfumes). I've given it a try and it didn't work, so its off to the swap pile.

B

This one starts out so pretty. Veil is really a good name for it. It is light, wispy, floral, soft and pretty. It mostly smells like lillies and gardenia on me. It is gorgeous. Unfortunately, as it dries it gets kind of harsh on my skin and all the lightness goes away. oh well.

Out of the imp: sharp, green, herbaly. I keep thinking eucalyptus.

Wearing: at first, I don't know what I'm smelling, and this is yet another time I found myself really wishing I knew all the notes better :D (or rather, at all!) - but it isn't something that I am adoring on me. It is a scent that is in no way floral or pretty, all I am getting is something that is just woodsy and terribly peculiar on my skin.

But after about fifteen minutes, ohhhh, here come the lovely florals! It is a much softer, prettier scent now, and I am feeling relieved! After reading the reviews here, I very much wanted to like this one and had high hopes for it.

The longer it is on, the more gorgeously floral it becomes - I can detect different florals, but again, being so unfamiliar with BPAL & all of the different notes, I don't know exactly what I'm smelling! Still, this is a scent that is truly lovely & calming; it just needs time to blossom on me.

I don't foresee a bigger bottle purchase, but I will definitely use up my imp! It will be perfect for those calm Summer nights when I just wish to curl up with a good book. :D

EDIT: Two hours later, and it has turned into hairspray on my skin. :D I asked a friend, to be sure, and received the same response! "Aqua Net." :P

I'll give it a week or two and try again. I really liked this one while we were feeling so affectionate with one another!

Edited by undream

Wet - Very floral and kind of spicy.

Dry - Turning to baby powder which I assume is from the orris, the violet and lavender are strong.

Final - Very clean and peaceful, but didn't seem to last that long.

Fresh From The Imp: I smell a *lot* of lavender. It's practically all I smell. Oh, and a bit of Grog, since my brother manhandled the Grog a few moments ago.

Wet On My Flesh: Still a lot of lavender. A little flowery for me.

Drying Down: Now it's smelling a bit soapy, with a strong floral undertone.

Hour To Integrate: I'm not sure what floral note I'm smelling, but I know I'm not fond of it. It's stronger than the soap scent, though.

End Of Day/Final Report: The soap came back, about equal to the florals, which gave me a very pretty flowery-clean smell. Unfortunately, I'm not big on those types of fragrances, so it's going to be swapped if my sister doesn't want it.

BONUS! Kitten's Opinion: She sniffed once, twice, then spread her whiskers and went for a third whiff. Wish I liked it that much.

Oh, how I love this! I am not usually a floral kind of person, but this has some potency to it so it's full of well blended flowers when wet, and powdery and slightly soapy when dry (which I like, incidentally.)

I have always loved lilacs; and to my nose this is full of lilac and lavender and light on the gardenia. It's just lovely.

I'm not sure what possessed me to try this, when it has five separate flowers in it and my skin usually amps florals like crazy. Plus, I don't like orris either. But I got it as a Lab frimp, and sniffed it in the imp before I read the description, and it smelled nice enough that I dropped it into the "to try" pile rather than the swap pile.

But I was initially glad I did, because this seemed, bizarrely enough, not bad at all. Once I'd read the description, I was expecting it to turn into Death By Florals on me, but it didn't. Mainly I got lavender and sandalwood, with just a light touch of the others. Not really a "me" scent at all, but it wasn't bad, and definitely did come across as soft and calming. Enough so that I could see wearing it to help myself sleep, and thought about maybe hanging onto it until I can get a bottle of Somnus.

But then... The lavender died down, and apparently it had just been hiding the others. One by one, the other florals began to assert themselves -- first the gardenia, then the violet, and I think it was round about then that it hit the Death By Florals stage and I ran to wash it off as a headache began.

Oh well. Guess I'll be looking into Somnus after all.

Grade: D

In the bottle: Worryingly perfume-y, but also a little spicy, so I figure it’s worth trying anyway.

On me: Perfume-y and incense-y. I think I can smell the lilac just a tiny bit, and the lavender. I don’t trust it, though, and I’m hoping it calms down into not smelling like perfume anymore.

Less than an hour later: This is gone. It barely even had potential. Wow.