BPAL Madness!

A master storyteller who possessed unfailing courage and compassion, a sharp, quick wit, and a true understanding of human nature. Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

Starts off New Age shoppy

Then dries down to a nice spicy, dry, musky fragrance

Like I said with my Morocco review, I prefer the less dry spicy scents

Expectation: If any scent can conjure up an image, it's this one. Heat, spices, and a mysterious talent to enthrall.

First Impression (last year): warm, spice, male

I'm not usually one to gender things so it must have been quite a strong feeling for me to write that. When it came to finally doing these reviews one year on, Scherezade had a big exclamation mark on my list and I left it until last. This was because whenever I open the storage box it's the one scent that overpowers everything even from the closed imp. It's like it's shouting SPICE AND RED MUSK YEAH which is a bit intimidating.

However, the initial effect is misleading. Once on the skin, it does calm down a lot, and becomes more subdued than Sin, which is my "spicy" scent. So subdued, in fact, that I don't really get much from it. It's nice, but doesn't really grab me. I even wore it for writing once and wasn't really feeling it was inspiring in any way.

Verdict: I was hoping that it would work its magic, but ultimately it's not a keeper. For red musk, I prefer Fenris Wolf.

This is beautiful. It's very well-blended, to the point that it's hard for me to pick out any notes other than red musk. It's powdery in a warm, soft, sexy way, and whatever else is in here is softly spicy and just a touch sweet. It reminds me of sheer fabrics, warm nights, and red-orange. It's everything it aspires to be and I need to get myself a bottle.

In the imp: I thought it would be very similar to Morocco or Sin, but this is exactly the scent of Yin Yang, a hippie/New Age store in my hometown. Hellooooo, memories!

Wet: The clear intention is sensual, but to me, this smells incredibly comforting. Red musk is first and foremost, and there's a spiciness that's not nose-biting - no cinnamon or cassia that I can detect. Instead, this is the scent of Sebastopol, CA, circa 2005 (pop. ~5,000): comfortably aging hippies, co-ops with barrels of spices out front, jewelry made up of little coins, and incense everywhere.

Dry: Gets a little spicier, but the drydown is pretty linear. I'm not sure whether anyone without this specific scent memory will love Scherezade as much as I do, but as it stands, I went through the whole day wrapped in the warmest, loveliest cloud of nostalgia.

I really love this scent. It's a stunning red musk that is warmed and elevated by spices. It's not spicy, but spiced. I think it gives off an air of confidence. It feels very bold to me and feels dangerously feminine. It only deepens with age and I adore it.

I wasn't wowed by this when i first tried it, but i just got my imp out after about eight months and now it is absolutely DIVINE. This smells exactly like a witchy shop, in the best possible way. It's cozy, it's nostalgic, and has a rare and wonderful subtlety for something that smells so much like incense. Verdict: I need a full bottle. Possibly two full bottles.

Wet, it smells very juicy and round, almost fruity. An image of red silk curtains blowing mysteriously and beckoningly in the night desert breeze.

Dry, still very juicy, with a spicy undertone. The spices come out less than I'd hoped, but it's still nice. It threatens to go a bit soapy, but the spices keep it in check.

The musk stays quite fresh, and doesn't go sour as I'd feared it might.

On the whole: nice. Red musk isn't really my thing, but this is one I could wear. Will probably save for nights out when I need something slightly louder and more seductive than usual.