BPAL Madness!

The Lady of the Graveyard! Autumn leaves, wild roses, bourbon vanilla, dry chamomile, and a bouquet of bright chrysanthemums and Mexican marigolds.

It took me a few minutes, but eventually I realized what this reminds me of-STRONGLY-which is Harvest Moon 2013, the one with the roses and leaves. Sniffing them side by side, HM13 is a simpler, more grounded scent, while the florals of La Calavera Catrina are more complex (obviously, because there are more of them) and it's a little more herbal like other people have mentioned. I think this is going to age really well; hopefully the leaves note will mellow a bit with time like HM13. Definitely a keeper!

2017 version:

La Calavera Catrina starts off with a strong scent of dead leaves and marigolds. The dead leaves note backs off quickly, and the chrysanthemums start warming things up. The wild roses, bourbon vanilla, and chamomile ease in about 10 minutes later—much to my relief, as they're all notes I love. Dry, this a lovely dry autumn floral with dead leaves skittering around in the far background. The chamomile is surprisingly active in the drydown, adding an herbal powderiness that's really pleasant. Marigold and dead leaves still aren't my favorite notes, but they really recede and I quite like the end result.

2017 version, and the only one I've tried

Calavera Catrina was surprisingly bright on me. The dead leaves were in the background, and I did not get the harsh, weird marigold smell that ruined Biwa for me. Instead, it's an unusual (in a good way) herbal floral, with light roses and mums and chamomile. I don't get a lot of bourbon vanilla; I wonder if that will become more prominent with aging.

Whereas October and Samhaim conjure up an autumn day in the northern latitudes, this is a sunny October afternoon and reminds me that people have picnics and parties on the Day of the Dead.

Imp: Almost wine-tang. Must be bourbon and flowers.

Initial Skin: Herbal and green. Surprising! Very much like The Vine or Passionate Shepard :think:

Drydown: I don't.. this is so green! I was expecting October or Harvest Moons or Samhains. The Mums and marigolds are really predominant here. I didn't know what to expect as far as perfume versions of them go - but yep. This is, to my nose, a spring scent. Maybe this is what autumn smells like in California :rofl: . We call that summer here in South Dakota.

Later drydown gets a bit dustier and less Fresh Green. But by that time, the rose starts do to it's thing and keeps things feeling floral and fresh.

Verdict; Green, Floral, Bright, Spring/Summer scent to me.

Lovely for the right people. Swapper for me!