BPAL Madness!

My first review, but let's give this a try.

In the vial: Something green and sweet. Trees and a hint of wild flowers maybe? A woods in spring scent. I like it, though it doesn't leap out and grab my heart with love. No leather, which is a pity, since I love the scent of leather.

Wet: Still that green, sweet scent, but more powdery. This is actually starting to smell a bit like a soap. Uh-oh.

Drydown: Soap, pure soap. And not even nice soap, but a somewhat cheap, unscented soap. :cry2: My skin chemistry just doesn't like this. I think I'll have to pass it onto a friend to try, since multiple attempts prove it's just not for me.

This one starts with a natural pine scent, and rapidly becomes sweet (not foodie sweet or berry sweet... more woodsy sweet) with just a hint of pine in the background. There is just a touch of leather in the waft, but not up close.

Ranger would easily fit in with a Yule collection.

I am only a few weeks into exploring BPAL, and this is my first review. So I apologize if my review is not quite as nuanced as others here, but here it goes.

In the Imp: Taking a sniff out of the imp, all I can smell is a strong evergreen scent.

Wet: After a couple minutes on the skin, I can start to smell more of the complexity here. On top of the strong pine scent, I smell a well balanced blend of patchouli, some type of bark smell, and juniper.

Dry: Sadly, this quickly fades on me. After only one hour, I cannot detect any of the beautiful woodsy scents from the wet phase, and I only get a whiff of hand soap. There must be something about my body chemistry here that just breaks down this oil.

Overall: I am really disappointed that this does not hold up for my skin on the dry-down, since I really love the deep woods smell that I get during the wet stage. Also the ranger has always been one of my favorite classes, since I started roleplaying. Since I really do like the original smell, this may be a good candidate for an alternate use (such in an oil warmer).

This smells exactly like a Ranger should smell.

In the imp: Deep woods in winter with a bit of buck skin. No hay yet.

Wet: There's the hay. The wood notes are mingled together so well that I can't pick out who is who. That's good because straight up pine will make me sneeze and nothing like that is happening. Also the leather smell is there but it's coming and going.

Dry: I am really feeling the need to grab my boots and go for a hike here in the Ozarks. What I love about this is there is no hint of "chemical" smell that you sometimes get with deep woods smells. This is the real thing. Just close your eyes and pretend your in the woods. The buckskin is back along with a touch of wet frozen moss. The hay has vanished (which is okay, I didn't think it did much for the scent anyway) and of course deep green ever greens and hardwoods.

I'm tempted to take my imp and douse my Christmas tree with it. It's a fake tree and after smelling Ranger I remembered what a Christmas tree at our house used to smell like. :(

Husband likes it but prefers others over this one and it is by far too masculine for me to pull off. Our teenage son on the other hand has asked for a bottle. So Ranger has found a home here :)

It is the tree-est of all the scent I ever had, with a hint of burnt pepper. After it dries, the scent of betal nut becomes overwhelming. While I like it, it's a scent that I wouldn't wear because I suspect it will irritate others.

Edited by Aromantism

In the imp:

It has a very grassy smell, I might be smelling the hay.

First time on:

Suddenly: spice! I’m getting some of the patchouli and a little of the buckskin, but it’s mostly a spicy tree scent.

After a while:

The pine has eaten everything else. It’s the same thing that happened with Occupy (when the pine and smoke smells completely obliterated the chocolate and burbon vanilla). There’s a little juniper and possibly some elder bark floating in the background, but it’s mostly just pine, pine, pine.

Now it’s been about two and a half hours since I put it on, and I can barely smell the perfume at all.

Overall review:

I’m giving this one away. So far, Voodoo is the only perfume I’ve tried with pine where the pine hasn’t turned overpowering, probably because of the clove and vanilla in that one. If I liked pine more, I’d probably keep it, but I don’t, so I won’t. This would work better on someone whose skin chemistry is different, or who likes foresty smells more than I do.

This was a free imp from the lab. I had been mildly interested in it, so time to give it a go.

Imp: Lovely pines and juniper, very woodsy and fresh.

Wet: Went sweet. Very sweet mix of greens.

Dry: It went soapy the second it dried. :( It now smells like Irish Springs on me, fading pretty quick too. Not at all what I expected or wanted.

As the first scent to go entirely soapy on me, it's not one I'll keep. While I don't have a problem with the scent of Irish Springs, I'd rather not smell like it unless I'm using the soap.

ITB: It's woodsy but pleasantly resinous.

Wet: Pine, juniper and patchouli are the strongest notes when I first apply it. It could stay this way and I would really enjoy this scent.

Dry: It's a bit sweeter once dried, but the sense of lush juniper and pine-laced woods filled with incense does not dissipate.

Wet: Woodsy and fresh with lots of greens and browns.

Drydown/Dry: Supersoft pine, mainly. Fuzzy, gentle evergreens with a touch of earth and sweetness. It’s quite light on my skin and fades into near-non-existence.

6.5 out of 10 bones (This would be a higher score if it was a bit stronger)

In Bottle: Cologne with pine/birch forest, wet grass, juniper and patchouli.

Wet: Still predominantly a pine cologne, but with a stronger grassy smell, heavier juniper scent and vague hints of leather.

Dry: Better rounded, like a leather jacket stuffed with juniper moving through a pine forest with a wet moss floor. Unfortunately also a little soapy.

Akin to Druid for me. Dissipates rather quickly on my skin. I'm in two minds about this one.

wild and wonderful! I really enjoy this blend. On me this is all forest. It doesn't have cedar listed but what I'm smelling is the cedar incense that I get from midnight mass, just a little woodsier, with a touch of spice.

A bit masculine, don't know if I can wear this every day but I will definitely keep the imp. It would be nice for winter hikes. Very well blended. I can totally see this as a winter holiday scent, as well. Yet another of the RPG blends I am impressed with.

Wet: Dissapointingly faint. I get a lemony cedar like wood, not the deep terabinth pine I was hoping for. It is blossoming and I am starting to get some of the other notes, but the start is underwhelming.

Drying: Where is the lemon coming from? Perhaps my nose was dulled from testing my Vetiver SN right before, but it is almost candy like in sweetness, though I do get the woods here and there.

Dry: This doesn't smell bad, but where was the rich wood I was hoping for? And I amp woods to the end of time too! I know this is a layering scent by design, and I'll keep it around, but man this was not what I hoped for!

Strong pine and juniper notes put Ranger in the same family as my beloved Black Forest (reminiscent of The Illustrated Woman, as well!) Though quite similar, Ranger's not as sharp/crisp. More smooth and mellow, and I am loving all the various woods. The buckskin accord translates as an earthy, raw leather note that's not super strong, but really nice when it pops up from time to time. I am just getting around to trying all these RPG scents and love them all so far!

Wet, it was very much pine - not in a pine-sol way, but more in a fresh-cut pine tree way. Not unpleasant at all, really.

Dry, I got a very low-key leathery smell, which I assume is the buckskin, along with a tiny bit of that pine sticking around, and very very woody. It smells a little too masculine to be something that I wear regularly or buy a bottle of, but I think it would be great inspiration if I were writing a Ranger-esque character, or if I needed to get into character for a DND session. That being said, as an atmo or a candle, I would buy a dozen.

(However, layering it with Good has turned it into something I would wear - frequently. I'm thinking Elf's amber notes might make this even more perfect.)

Edited by RockstarGirl

I've had a bottle of this socked away since shortly after the original release, so it's about 3 years old.

Mostly sweet pine and green forest, supported by soft leather. It is sweet enough that I wondered if there was some amber in it before I looked up the notes. I think it's the pine turning a bit sugary/sap-like on my skin. Cologne-y vibe but nothing high-pitched.

Love. <3

Based on the description, I was thinking this scent would be right on the line of almost-too-masculine, but it sounded too interesting to resist.

It in the bottle, it's an exciting mix of sharp pine, not-too-strong leather, and other mysterious woodsy notes. Perfect as a room scent, even better for imagining you're creeping through the forest on an adventure instead of at work.

On my skin, it oddly ended up as soft, slightly resinous berries with the occasional hint of leather. It's quite nice as a casual, sweet scent with a bit of roughness around the edges. But I'm missing that mysterious pine forest!

In the imp: Very woody. It smells like an evergreen forest.

Wet: The pine note is the dominant note, but the overall impression is of a very green evergreen forest, with a blanket of moss on the forest floor. The scent is very realistic, and it seems to be getting greener the longer it is on my skin. I cannot pick out the patchouli and hay notes on my skin, and I am really thankful for that, as I was worried about those notes!

Dry: The forest scent has really calmed down. It's a lot softer now.

Verdict: I really didn't expect to like this one, but this is nice. I enjoy how realistic it is. I would prefer it as a room scent, but if I ever take up archery (like I have been wanting to), this is the scent that I would wear to lessons.

*edit to add* I ended up getting a bottle of Ranger. I love layering it with Neutral and Elf. :)

Edited by dementia_divine

In the imp: A sweet, woodsy smell. I'm testing a bunch of new frimps right now (thanks, Lab! :D), and after yesterday's Eden disaster, this is just what the doctor ordered - bracing without being screechy, and a lovely mellow note at the bottom to round everything out. It makes me think of Aragorn a ranger who has just come in from tramping through the forest, and is now sprawled comfortably in an inn somewhere.

Wet: Both the sweetness (which is more of a leathery softness than berries or herbs) and the woods grow sharper. But still not veering into screechy/tense territory - now, I would say, it's gone from mellow to pleasantly alert. I totally second dementia_divine - if I ever get back into archery and/or the SCA, this is what I'm wearing. My experience with the RPG line is that each one is generally pretty simple in and of itself (possibly to facilitate layering?), so "unisex sweet woods" pretty much sums this one up.

Dry: A pretty straight-up woody scent, with the leathery sweetness diminishing over time. That is, right up until the end (at about the 11 hour mark), when I got a burst of unexpected leathery sweetness before it faded altogether.

In the Imp: Juniper maybe? And something sweetish, but tree-y. I get a birchy feeling, but I don't really know. It's interesting - not woody, but tree-y.

Wet: Junipowder? No, but still something Needly green and lovely. Is that some sandalwood in the background? Behind the fresh boughs of pine and birch and . . . Mmmm!

Dry: still those gorgeous green branches. And a slight muskiness- is this the buckskin? It doesn't seem like most leathers I've smelled, but warm and skin-like, but more. And that dry sweetness- if that's the BPAL hay note, I need to buy Bram Stoker immediately.

This scent is beautifully blended, with a light-medium throw and a nice long wear time, though the juniper berries faded in and out, along with an herbal smell- almost like lavender, if it wasn't purple. Played hide-and-seek a bit, whatever it was. The entire is making me regret not knowing more synonyms for 'wonderful' and 'amazing'.

This starts out as a combo of leather and what I can best describe as men's grooming products made of spiced rum. Like...I don't think I actually know what bay rum smells like, but this is what it smells like in my imagination when I read about it. It's a little boozy to me, but in a way that also kind of smells like aftershave, and definitely spices and leather. I don't know exactly why this rum effect is happening, but I like it.

It morphs to mostly leather and wood, and then gradually a bit of patchouli comes out too, and I think I might smell a little light musk. I can see why people are mentioning Coyote.

This is masculine but really really nice. Giving it to the boyfriend. I already gave him Druid--wonder how they'd go together?

In the imp: Rich evergreen trees.

Wet on my skin: I feel like I just put a forest on my skin!

Dry: It's a thick, deep, dark green forest! With leather! Mmmmm. I can pick out most of the individual notes if I try, with pine, juniper, leather, and moss being the easiest to smell. This is a gorgeous blend, almost a little cologne-like, but not quite. It's definitely a great scent for people who like earthy and/or evergreen forest scents, as well as leather. Soft brown, slightly sweet leather. This is just really, really nice.

Imp: Oh my! Woodsy through and through. I've been looking for a scent like this one.

On skin: Pine. Just oh so Pine. It reminds me of those cedar boxes with glittery pictures on the front that I used to buy in Ocean City. Not bad scent, certainly very nostalgic for me, but probably not the deep woodsy scent I'm looking for.

Edited by RasAlgethi

That does start with a nice leather. Warm, earthy notes. It gets fruity/floral, still with that leather overtone.