BPAL Madness!
tartsquid

Captain Cully

CAPTAIN CULLY
"I'm merry twenty-four hours a day, Dick Fancy," Cully said coldly. "That is a fact."

A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter.

Captain Cully was a surprise standout in the imp pack. I'm not usually into leather scents despite loving the smell of actual leather. They're typically very chemical to my nose. Captain Cully, however, smells almost exactly like a new saddle - sweet leather that hasn't had a chance to be dirtied up yet. I grew up on a farm with a dad who loved riding horses, and he's who my brain instantly goes to when I smell this. There's a bit of clean musk, but it's predominantly a sweet smelling leather. It reminds me of Quincy Morris minus the pear.

Captain Cully - Upon sniffing the imp vial, my very first thought was "Dead Man's Hand!" I definitely smell the same amazing brown Wild West saddle leather that is in my beloved Dead Man's Hand. When first applied, that's all I smell, but as it warms up on my skin, the musk comes out a bit, as well as the dry woods, and a hint of dark, heavy porter. It's an awesome combination of notes that work really, really well together. I think the porter is the cherry on the sundae that really pulls the whole thing together so very nicely. It's definitely a masculine scent, 1000% sexy, and while I love it, it's not something I could probably pull off wearing. I'd love to smell this on a man. It's definitely a tough, rugged, handsome-man kind of scent. It's a perfect Marlboro Man kind of scent. :wub2:

I get everything listed, the leather and dry woods are the main players, followed by the porter and tonka. This reminds me of a cross between Enkhespalos and Olisbos. The mix of well-worn leather, woods, and a splash of booze makes this one a very sexy gentleman scent.

OK this one was absolute love, as soon as I tested it.

Wet: ooh! Perversion with porter instead of chardonnay and slightly browner! YES! No real man cologne hints, just warm buttery leather, magnetic wonderful tonka, and porter.

Drydown: the woods dusting helps keep this from turning mushy..or something nauseating that started out sexy but you wore it on a bender night and never want to smell it again.. Nope..not either of those~! This is warm, aromatic, sexy, permeating, prominent but understated..is that possible? Rarely, but pulls it off. It's awesome. Totally getting a bottle.

Edited by SophieCedar

Firstly, I have to say that "Dick Fancy" is such a great name :)

But this is all about the Captain, and oh my.. Captain Cully, if I smelled this good all the time then I too would be merry twenty-four hours a day!

I see other comparisons have already been made, but to me.. CC lacks the sharpness/strength of the leather in Dead Man's Hand, and the sweetness of the leather in Quincy Morris. It doesn't have the oiliness of Olisbos, but I agree with cfrancesca that it's reminiscent of Enkhespalos. If I had to pick a 'smells like' for Captain Cully, I'd go with Brom Bones.. the leather has a similar musky smoothness and a light sweetness - it's not as rich as Brom Bones, but the tones are similar.

On my skin, I get a lovely soft leather - tempered by a very soft musk which I find is there in feel rather than actual smell. Tonka and woods is always a great combination, and it works really nicely here to provide a nice earthy base for the musky leather to sit atop. The porter only really comes out after the full dry-down, and it adds a layer of depth that just finishes the whole effect of this perfume off perfectly. The leather was definitely the top note at first, but once that porter comes into effect it melds everything together.

I think it's great to have such a lovely leather blend in the GC line-up! Captain Cully is exactly what I was hoping for when I read the description - a beautiful soft, natural leather that's totally wearable. A must-try for leather lovers :thumbsup:

Leather. Soft, worn leather. Definitely the same leather note as in Dead Man's Hand.

Slight hints of porter, soft worn leather. Very masculine. And did I mention rugged?

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I was excited to try Captain Cully based on the Will Call reviews. When it went live on the site, I immediately ordered a bottle even though the porter worries me. I'm not much of a fan of the smell of beer, although I gather that dark beers like porter have a different smell to them, so I'm open-minded.

First sniff:

It has to be the porter I'm smelling. Like I said before, I've never smelled it (the real thing or as a note in perfume), but somehow it's immediately recognizable. It's a sweet, dark brown scent. Not really boozy or alcoholic, instead it's got a sort of malted scent to it. I also get a tiny bit of wood and leather, but it's mainly porter.

Wet on skin:

The leather shows up more at this point. That tends to happen when I wear leather scents with other strong notes. It doesn't show up in the bottle, spikes when it hits my skin and then dies back down, so I'm expecting it to fade again.

At this point, it's a worn, brown leather scent with sweet, malty porter (I think the tonka may be blending with it and amping the sweetness a bit).

Dry down:

I actually love this. A lot. The leather has died back down again and I'm left with a smooth, sweet, malty, musky brown scent. It's got hints of wood and leather, but everything blends together so well that it's hard to pick out individual notes.

The bottom line:

I'm glad I took a chance on this in spite of the porter. Evidently, I actually like the smell of dark beer. Captain Cully is bordering on making its way into my favorites box and it may end up in there at some point. :heart:

I didn't know if I should buy Captain Cully, because I have so many leather blends already and wasn't sure if this would be different enough to justify a purchase. But I bought it anyhow, and I'm so glad that I did. I don't have any leather blends that smell close to this one. It's definitely leather, creamy tonka, dusty, smooth woods, and a rich booze. The boozy part actually reminds me of Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle - sort of dark brown, rich, and thickly sweet. The overall feel is of buttery-soft leather, a delicious and grownup sweetness, and a mingling of woods and sophisticated, cool, creamy tonka-cologne.

Captain Cully is very smooth and I think that this would be dreamy on a man, but it's sweet, gentle, and creamy enough to be worn easily by a woman as well. This and The Harpy are my favorite blends of The Last Unicorn series so far. :wub2:

On the skin: This starts as all leather on me, but after a bit I can start to smell more of the notes. This is definitely a new leather scent. With a creamy woodiness as well.

I think this scent is amazing. It's a creamy, slightly sweet leather. I am definitely going to need to try this one on my SO!

Apparently, I really like the leather blends from BPAL. This one is a really soft, worn in jacket leather scent with just a hint of sweetness. The leather is quite strong, and it remains strong, so if you aren't a leather lover this isn't for you.

I wasn't expecting to but I actually quite like this. It's primarily leather wet, but as it dries down a lovely vanillic tonka and just a hint of sweet booze (not astringent at all) emerges. As it dries down further it also reveals a light musky and woody background. It isn't at all as masculine as I expected and totally wearable.

In the vial: Oh yes, that's definitely leather, and a nice leather too. It lingers in my nose like a good wine would on your tongue.

On my wrist: Still very leathery, but the leather wears a musky veil. Then there are some of those dry woods too, lurking in the background.

I can't find much to say about this; it's a quite simple scent. Nice and straightforward.

In the imp: Dry wood, leather, and a hint of sweetness that's hard to pin.

Wet: Wow, saddle leather. Brand new saddle leather and sun warmed wood. Still very masculine but in a way that I still feel like a woman can pull off. There's a little sharp tannin bite to it that I quite like.

Dry down: This smells like the same leather in Orc without the vegetable notes to drag it down. It's sassy and energetic, just a little smoky and still with the dry woods. I'm not up on the various hardwoods. It doesn't smell like oak to me, though. Maybe the smoky note is from the porter? I'm not getting any of the tonka, which is a shame, but still I really love this.

In the Imp (ITI): Very strong leather and wood. I don’t smell any tonka or porter.

Wet: Slightly astringent and antiseptic wood, with the smell of polished, worn, thick leather and just a hint of tonka. I smell no porter, even though I try. It skews a little manly for it, but not enough that I would be nervous to wear it.

Dry: I mainly smell wood, ash I think. It’s not as sweet as teak. After 10 hours, I can’t smell much else aside from the wood.

I'm a definite fan of leather scents, but my favorite is the one that's in Spanked. This one is more like the leather from Olisbos - that worn leather variety. It doesn't come off as sweet leather scent on my skin. I wish it would have!

I was a little worried about the booze note, but oh man is this good. There's refined leather, like in The White Rider, and then there's this. It's raw, masculine, tough cowboy leather and it's amazing. It's almost entirely leather on me but with hints of other things that make it more interesting and complex.

Good thing you ladies can't smell me through the screen because I'd have to beat you off with a stick.

*charming grin*

This is going on my short list for future purchases. I think this is my favorite rough leather blend yet, with my favorite refined leather blend being The White Rider, of course. This is in my top 15 for sure, and possibly my top 10. Love it.

I can't believe there's only one page of reviews for this! I'm such a sucker for BPAL's brown leather blends, and for a readily available GC, it doesn't get any better than Captain Cully. It's a great substitute for Brom Bones and Western Diamondback, IMO. :wub2:

The tonka lends some sweetness to the leather, and the woods give it a backbone. I don't get a lot of porter per se, but I would consider this a slightly boozy blend, like the ruggedly hot rancher at the end of the bar who's had one too many Guinnesses. I wouldn't even call it a masculine blend, just aggressive and understatedly sexy.

YES, I must agree the well worn leather note is So much like dead mans hand, just what I had been searching for! Woodsy, with a splash of rum, it's delicious. It can be masculine, yes, for wear it with a leather jacket and it just screams sexy. Oh ma GAWD.

Let me start by saying that I've quickly slathered my way through one bottle of Captain Cully already, and for me, it's always sort of melded into a rugged, leather scent. In fact, it reminds me very much of a well-worn, brown suede jacket that I inherited when I was younger—I used to tuck my nose into the crook of my arm and the smell is nearly identical.

So revisiting the Last Unicorn collection I came across the description, and thought I'd wear Captain Cully all day to pick out the individual notes. The scent is well-blended, and even with the copy in mind, my nose interprets the oil as suede leather that's been given character by the tonka, woods, and porter swirling in the background. It's a very BROWN scent, the leather is sweetened slightly by the tonka (in a way that reminds me of Dee), and on dry down, the wood notes separate slightly from the leather, becoming more distinct. I don't really pick up on the porter, but it might be contributing to the brown impression I'm getting.

Overall, Captain Cully is probably one of my favourite BPAL scents—it's simple, uncomplicated, warm, inviting, slightly masculine and rugged.

Edited by nathanielhebert

In the imp: Very leather and a little bit of sweet, dark beer.

Wet on my skin: This is very much a leather scent, with the other notes in the background at this point.

Dry: This does not change a whole lot as it dries, which is fine by me! It's well-worn musky brown leather, with a little more dark beer than it had wet, and hints of tonka and wood. The beer smells like a good, thick Irish porter, almost coffee-like and slightly sweet. I'm a fan of leather scents, and this one is not like any I have already, and I very much like it as a rugged, outdoorsy sort of scent. I can see this layering well with the RPG series, actually, now that I think about it.

Edited by DiesMali

Cocky is the right word to describe this...bold leather, alcohol, and swagger. This isn't me at all, but would be AMAZING on the right man.

A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter.

Is this going to be the LU scent that finally works on me? Musk, leather, tonka, woods, beer, all normally good on me...we shall see!

In the vial: oh, that doesn't bode well. Powdery musk with a hint of nuttiness that I think must be the porter, judging from other blends. Onwards!

Wet: band-aids. Straight up plasters. Crud. Medicinal plastic-rubber ick. Remember those rubber verruca socks they give kids so they can go swimming? This is that, especially because there's a faint aquatic backdrop.

Dry: well, I can smell the leather & the musk if I concentrate, but they're still combining into that same smell on me :( Last Unicorn scents are still no-goes on me.

Wet: So much leather! Manly leather. It's nice, it's not doing that chemical thing leather sometimes does on me, but it's still a TON of leather. Not getting any other notes at all.

Dry: Ya it's sadly just all leather on me. Too bad, the other notes sounded awesome, and I was really hoping to detect the porter note. Oh well, I'll pass it on to someone who will love it more.