BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

Lissa, Anathema is all honeysuckle, all the time on me. I love it. Doesn't have a tea note, though...

I worried when I first got Le Serpent Qui Danse that it was too similar to Eternal. They are both very similar with their rather sharp gardenia top note, but the drydowns are different enough to warrent owning both, natch. The Serpent gets much more violet and vanilla in the drydown and keeps the gardenia at bay. Still, I'd think that if you like one you'd like the other. Serpent is softer, Eternal is va-va-voom.

Pink Moon and Dia De Los Muertos: while wet, these two seem to share an identical blend of unusual fruits and subtle florals. Their dry down differs significantly though, as Pink Moon becomes dusky spun sugar and Dia becomes a cheerful incensy floral.

Chaste Moon = Tarot: The Star + Snow White, sans the plastic and the jasmine (toss in the buttery note from Harvest Moon for good measure)

Dorian is sorta like "Lemon Lace." Antique Lace plus a sugary lemon note that remind me of sudha segara.

That seems the closest.

Funny that you should all mention Oisin and Regan - those are two of my very favorite BPALs (as is Antique Lace) but neither of those ever struck me as being similar to AL. Weird.

I'm trying out Old Morocco for the first time, and it is strikingly similar to Antique Lace to my nose. :P

I saw there was a similar thread, only it's "if you like x perfume, try this BPAL"...

What would you all recommend (in the BPAL line, preferably, or even on the outside) if I'm in love with Antique Lace and Baobhan Sith?

That's a hard one!

Honestly, I don't know a good equivalent to Antique Lace. It was fairly unique. Joseybird thinks Morocco reminds her of it (if my memory serve me correctly) but my own impression is 180 degrees from that. I would recommend Zephyr, which at least has qualities in common, even if it's not the same.

As for Baobhan Sith, the closest match I ever found was an LE, Queen of Diamonds, but that's not going to be any easier to acquire. Most people on the boards seem to think (and I agree) that Beth probably WILL bring this back just as soon as a reasonably-priced, good-quality grapefruit harvest comes in, so you may just wish to wait it out. And turn to the various other lovely citrus blends to salve your craving until then. :P

Any other opinions on this?

Honestly, I don't know a good equivalent to Antique Lace. It was fairly unique. Joseybird thinks Morocco reminds her of it (if my memory serve me correctly) but my own impression is 180 degrees from that. I would recommend Zephyr, which at least has qualities in common, even if it's not the same.

A few other peeps have noted the Morocco/Antique Lace similarity as well, but I wouldn't necessarily run off to order a bottle--there's quite a bit of variation from Morocco bottle to Morocco bottle, and only one of my 3 5 mls smells like Antique Lace (although I did smell Anshara's bottle as well, and hers smells like Antique Lace too). I wouldn't want you to order a bottle and be dissapointed when it doesn't smell like AL :P (because of the red sandalwood)

Regan also has a similar "feel" as Antique Lace...riddel once told me that AL smelled "white and pink" to her, while Regan smells "white and purple." I adore AL and only *like* Regan though, but you might want to give it a try :D

If you're looking for something similar to Hakkotsu, try Belle Epoque. To fairly compare, Hakkotsu seems like a minimalist version Belle Epoque. These share muget and sandalwood notes. And layer well together.

Does anyone sniff a similarity between Tempest and Water of Notre Dame? I'd consider WoND to be a heavier version than Tempest. They both seem to have the same floral notes in them.

I just was trying some of my new oils and came up with the fact that White Rabbit and Milk Moon smell very, very similar to me. Now mind you I sent out my Milk Moon quite a while ago so I say this from memory but they do seem very alike in many ways to me.

Milk Moon smells a lot like Chaste Moon, but in my book it totally spanks Chaste Moon :D The Jack-like butter and soapy florals ruined Chaste Moon for me, so if you wanted to love Chaste Moon but were dissapointed, you might like Milk Moon :P

This is a great thread -- I'm learning a lot!

Has anyone found anything similar to Unseelie? I absolutely adore Unseelie, but of course, it's discontinued. :P

Are Malkuth and Lughnasadh at all reminiscent of one another? People's reviews are saying that Malkuth smells like mulled cider with blackberries instead of apples, and Lughnasadh smelled like mulled cherries to me.

ETA: Penance/ChupaChup/jayla, thanks for the Storm Moon/Hurricane comparisons!

Edited by Electra

Lovelies, I am in NEED of a scent that smells exactly like Oisin, something I can buy en masse. (It turns out that the lover smells absolutely to DIE for in the stuff and I'm regretting only buying a single bottle of the stuff. Orgasm in a bottle for me.) Either than or I'm going to need to lose my life's savings to somehow stock pile the stuff. Le sigh, the things I do for lust. :P

Maybe its my skin chemistry, but i just tested a bit of Midnight on my wrist, and it reminded me quite a bit of the Tarot: Strength. At least the floral part, but Midnight had that aquatic note to it. Can't confirm, since Strength doesn't list it's notes, but I'm curious if anyone else thinks so. (too bad neither one loved me!)

Three Witches seems tame and traditional compared with Bengal :P Peppers! YOWTCHA! :D Three Witches is clovier though :D

Since no one's mentioned it yet...

Scorpio is a lighter, smoother version of La Petit Mort on me. (LPM is just slightly richer, but otherwise extremely similar.)

I may be insane, but Dublin smells almost exactly like Oisin on me. A bit of a darker green scent, but just barely.

I got a frimp of SZEPASSZONY in my last order, and it turns out I really like this scent more than I imagined I would. It was one I never even considered when looking at the description. Are there any other scents that are similar to this one that anyone can recommend to try? Thanks.

chiroptera and midnight are sililar to my nose, with the midnight not being lemon balm dominant.

Edited by mmcfa2

Tamora is very similar to Corazon on me!

They both have amber and juicy fruit (Tamora is peach, Corazon is mango). They sound pretty different otherwise from the descriptions, but I had to start sniffing bottles and imps to jar my memory -- "What does this smell like? Argh!"

I have received a lot of imps last week and Hamadryad is one of them -- I think I am in love!

I heard that Hesperides is in that family of mossy, dryad-like scents. I think I will order 5ml each of Hamdryad and Hesperides. What else would interest me?